View Poll Results: Do you want Alex Smith at QB for the Jets?

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, definite upgrade and we can win with him

91 57.59%
  • No, he's not much of an upgrade over Sanchez

67 42.41%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Would you want Alex Smith at QB?

No. I want a guy that is fearless and accurate. No more dunk and dunk. I would prefer a guy that is NOT a scrambler ala Vick.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    If you dont think Keller, Devito, Pouha and Moore will will be greatly missed, wait to you see who their replacements are.

Why do you think Rex started those old LBs, because they were the best he had.
    Pouha signed a 3yr deal this past year. We can't assume we're going to lose all these guys. Keller might not be worth what he's going to ask for especially since Sanchez won't be the QB next season. Hopefully Moore will be retained but he's getting up there in age and his play is slipping. We can only hope that whoever replaces who gets cut will be better.

All Pro
    I'd be okay with Alex Smith. He's solid.

Really, anybody but Sanchez at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    I'd be okay with Alex Smith. He's solid.

Really, anybody but Sanchez at this point.
    He also has a great running game and a solid group of receivers. Even with all of that, he's nothing great. Now take away that running game and set of receivers.

Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    He also has a great running game and a solid group of receivers. Even with all of that, he's nothing great. Now take away that running game and set of receivers.

Meh.

Depends on financials. If the financials favor keeping Sanchez, then I say get someone like a Fitzpatrick, and Draft a QB in the round 2-4.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Long Suffering Jets Fan View Post
    then I say get someone like a Fitzpatrick

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyJet View Post
    Alex Smith is not the right guy for NY. He is nothing more than a Game manager. Id prefer Matt Moore for a year or two, or Matt flynn to come in and compete. Sanchez is gonna be here in 2013 if we cant trade him.
    with a true Ground & Pound team, a game manager is all that is needed to win! Play error-free football and keep moving the chains and play great defense!

Think about the other available options- Sanchebowelroy, Vick, Rivers, an unheralded rookie- Alex Smith is more appealing than any of those, maybe Matt Moore but has he ever been to the playoffs?

Not sure why the exec from the same team that basically just admitted 2 months ago that you can't win a championship with Alex Smith at QB and were forced to switch to Kaepernick is going to be the one to bring him in here.

Think it's more dot connecting from the media then someone we would have legitimate interest in.

This is like asking if you would be psyched to see your ex-wife on the other side of a speed dating table. Hell no.

NO NO NO NO NO

We don't need another QB who can't complete a pass over 15 yards.

No more dink and dunk, we need a real QB.

Jets Insider VIP
    Mike Glennon

I live in the Bay Area and have watched a lot of Niner football over the years. Before Harbaugh the Niners had a horrible, inconsistent offensive philosophy. Mike Nolan was a horrible head coach, and Singletary was motivational but did not get offensive concepts. Smith was exposed to some of the worst coaching and concepts for his first six seasons... There is a reason Harbaugh came in, knewhe could work with Smith, and have success. The other thing to consider is how this guy DID NOT LOSE CONFIDENCE in himself during those awful seasons. He is polished, accurate, smart, and a leader. He is not Brady or Manning, but he is the best option out there, and I believe you can win with him. the SB is not beyond his grasp.

I wouldn't be super excited about Smith, but i think he's one of the best available options for the Jets. I'd rather Smith be throwing the ball, then Sanchez, or crossing our fingers that a 2nd-4th round QB works out.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by PavlovsDogs View Post
    I live in the Bay Area and have watched a lot of Niner football over the years. Before Harbaugh the Niners had a horrible, inconsistent offensive philosophy. Mike Nolan was a horrible head coach, and Singletary was motivational but did not get offensive concepts. Smith was exposed to some of the worst coaching and concepts for his first six seasons... There is a reason Harbaugh came in, knewhe could work with Smith, and have success. The other thing to consider is how this guy DID NOT LOSE CONFIDENCE in himself during those awful seasons. He is polished, accurate, smart, and a leader. He is not Brady or Manning, but he is the best option out there, and I believe you can win with him. the SB is not beyond his grasp.
    Yes, we needed Insight from someone who has watched him play at least.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    with a true Ground & Pound team, a game manager is all that is needed to win! Play error-free football and keep moving the chains and play great defense!
    I know you're all about Anyone But Sanchez, but ground & pound is archaic. And Sanchez was a game manager when the Jets did have that, and it still didn't work. To do ground and pound, you need a grounder and pounders. We have neither.

Alex Smith is Mark Sanchez's ceiling. So if we are stuck with Sanchez, why not get him what Smith already has, saving the Jets the draft picks and cap space?

Really, you're the worst (serious) poster on all of JI!

Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    I know you're all about Anyone But Sanchez, but ground & pound is archaic. And Sanchez was a game manager when the Jets did have that, and it still didn't work. To do ground and pound, you need a grounder and pounders. We have neither.

Alex Smith is Mark Sanchez's ceiling. So if we are stuck with Sanchez, why not get him what Smith already has, saving the Jets the draft picks and cap space?

Really, you're the worst (serious) poster on all of JI!
    I disagree. The Jets already have the makings of a pretty good OL. By just adding a decent blocking TE, RT, and probably a new RB, this team could be right back in ground and pound mode. Will they be number 1 at rushing like in 2009? Probably not. But they could easily have a pretty good running game.

And Mark Sanchez will NEVER be the QB that Alex Smith is. Alex Smith is great at protecting the football. Sanchez is a turnover machine.

I think you are also assuming Sanchez will be on the team next season. You are probably right, but if they can somehow trade him and accept most of the financial burden in the process, there would likely be some takers.

The San Francisco 49ers lean heavily on their running game and they've made it to the playoffs two years running now, also going deep into the playoffs last season.

Alex Smith is certainly not a long term solution, but he'd be an ideal stop gap. He protects the football, he's good at taking what the defense gives him, and he will, from time to time, make some very big plays.

Mark Sanchez is done in NY. He needs a change of scenery if nothing else.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I disagree. The Jets already have the makings of a pretty good OL. By just adding a decent blocking TE, RT, and probably a new RB, this team could be right back in ground and pound mode. Will they be number 1 at rushing like in 2009? Probably not. But they could easily have a pretty good running game.

And Mark Sanchez will NEVER be the QB that Alex Smith is. Alex Smith is great at protecting the football. Sanchez is a turnover machine.

I think you are also assuming Sanchez will be on the team next season. You are probably right, but if they can somehow trade him and accept most of the financial burden in the process, there would likely be some takers.

The San Francisco 49ers lean heavily on their running game and they've made it to the playoffs two years running now, also going deep into the playoffs last season.

Alex Smith is certainly not a long term solution, but he'd be an ideal stop gap. He protects the football, he's good at taking what the defense gives him, and he will, from time to time, make some very big plays.

Mark Sanchez is done in NY. He needs a change of scenery if nothing else.
    Without addressing the rest of the post, I disagree strongly about the OL. As I said in another post, Brick appears to have settled back down after a poor 2011. Mangold has lost quite a bit since the ankle injury last year and could stand to drop at least 20 pounds. Moore, after double hip surgeries, is finished and should be allowed to walk as an UFA. Slauson is a decent player, but he will likely run, not walk, out of here after the way he was treated this season with his salary and Ducasse(!). Howard is a decent guy to have coming off the bench as a swing OT, but he isn't the solution going forward either.

So, the Jets are left with a very solid LT and a C who is at a crossroads. Along with the QB/WR relationship, I would have to say that OL synergy is the most important on a NFL team. With the above issues coupled with the likelihood of a 3rd OL coach in as many years, the 2013 Jets will not have that at all. That, IMHO, is the biggest problem facing this team next season. The acquisition of some RB or fair to middling QB will not change that.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Mike Glennon
    I agree i want a big armed QB!!!