Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

View Poll Results: Do you want Alex Smith at QB for the Jets?

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, definite upgrade and we can win with him

91 57.59%
  • No, he's not much of an upgrade over Sanchez

67 42.41%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you want Alex Smith at QB?

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like

Would you want Alex Smith at QB?

Poll.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Over Vick and Sanchez, yes.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes! The man can run an Offense suitable for a GROUND & POUND team! Smith makes few errors and is a winner! I want Suckchez GONE!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely. Compare his completion percentages and passer rating with Sanchez over the past 4 years and Smith is clearly miles ahead. Would be a big upgrade at the QB position.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Alex Smith

He;a big upgrade over what we have, thats for sure. But i would prefer if we went after Matt Flynn, more upside, not a mental weakling like Sanchez

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Yes! The man can run an Offense suitable for a GROUND & POUND team! Smith makes few errors and is a winner! I want Suckchez GONE!
    He's not the most Athletic QB but he's super intelligent and I think he works in our system.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    If we brought him in to be a 1-2 year stopgap, while we draft a franchise QB in 2014. I'm fine with that.

What i don't want to hear is we're bringing him in to be "the guy" for the long haul.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He'd be an upgrade over what we have, but that's not really saying much.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Depends on what we'd have to give up

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    No. He is a Mark Sanchez 2.0

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    No. But if had to choose between him and Sanchez, yes.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Depends on what we'd have to give up
    Exactly; what is on the table.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greentide View Post
    No. He is a Mark Sanchez 2.0
    Smith is better than Sanchez in every conceivable way.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    As a 1-2 year stop gap? Absolutely. He's 10x the QB Sanchez is for the lone reasons of accuracy to his own team as well as the lack of turnovers.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gamble knows best...on whether he should bring in Smith. Can the Jets financially afford a Smith contract, when Jets are stuck with an albatross Sanchez one? IMO...Smith is looking for a multi year contract at good pay.

Smith is certainly not a TO machine. That in itself gives the Jets a better chance to win. But...

Both the Jets and the 49er offenses, get poor receiving production in the passing game, from their WR positions. Alex Smith relies on a strong running game, and then he mostly utilizes Davis at TE and the RBs, for success with the passing game. His arm is limited. And the 49er offense was geared to work within his limitations. Kaepernik is more talented..both with his arm and his legs. And that's why Jim Harbaugh made the permanent change to Kaepernik, when Smith was injured.

Smith is a serviceable bridge to the Jets future franchise QB. But I would also accept a cheaper version for caretaker QB. Like a Hasselbeck or a Moore.

The CAP is a mess that's going to limit Gamble's decisions on the 2013 changes needed. He's going to need to make tough decisions on where to use the limited CAP resources that's at his disposal.

Who is Gamble going to cut or keep for 2013...goes a long ways to figuring out what he has in mind for the QB position.

Jets need to make changes at some OL positions. And RB upgrades on offense too. Gamble may put more of his resources there. Then go for the cheaper then Smith alternatives at QB.

Make a successful trade to rid Sanchez and his contract...would give Gamble a lot more wiggle at QB...and everywhere else. Same may apply to Revis too. Gamble could try and move Darelle, and give the Jets more flexibilty to make other moves.

Right now...I have no idea what Gamble's gonna do. Maybe his Tuesday presser will give us all a clearer picture of his vision, and the course of actions he wants to take.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, he's a big upgrade over suckchez. We can win with him as qb.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anybody who says he is not that much of an upgrade over Sanchez needs to get their head examined.

He might not be worth trading for or signing b.c we don't want to give up draft picks or spend what little $$$ we have b.c it looks like the 2014 draft might have some QBs. That position I can understand.

But he is head and shoulders better than Sanchez. He is better than Sanchez in every single aspect.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    anyone but sanchez but dont think smith is the long term answer.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    anyone but sanchez but dont think smith is the long term answer.
    Why? He's still got age on his side...really started to come into his own the last season and 1/2...could really benefit from a fresh start with a new team.

Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck, et al are rare finds...odds are we will never get one. We can win a championship with a good, solid quarterback who doesn't turn the ball over, can complete more than 50% of his passes, and who is motivated to show the league that San Fran made a mistake in how the used them, and in letting them go.

I'll take him as a longer term option over an unproven entity (be it a Flynn, or a draft pick) any day. I'm sick of crossing my fingers and hoping someone is going to develop into something halfway decent.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone but Sanchez is an upgrade.