Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bills Hire Doug Marrone as Head Coach

Bills Hire Doug Marrone as Head Coach

@AdamSchefter: Filed to ESPN: Doug Marrone has agreed to leave Syracuse and become the next head coach of the Buffalo Bills.

@AdamSchefter: Before Buffalo and Doug Marrone agreed to a deal early this morning, the Bills interviewed former Bears HC Lovie Smith on Saturday.

Damn. I was hoping we'd see Gailey not give the ball to Spiller for another year or so.

All Pro
    I'm quite glad they didn't go for Lovie Smith.

With Norv reportedly not interested in the OC job here id love to see Whisenhunt get a shot now that he didn't get the bills job. Also curious to see now if the bills might pass on a QB in the first and ust take Nassib in the second so Marrone can get his guy in there running the offense. That could mean a guy like Tyler Wilson falls to us in the 1st and that would be just fine with me.

If we can Pettine, any chance we go after Lovie?

Thank you, Buffalo.

Never, ever change.

Hysterical.

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    If we can Pettine, any chance we go after Lovie?
    If Rex is still the H.C. I expect a promotion from within to be the "D.C.", even though we all know who the D.C. has been for four years - and it certainly wasn't Pettine. Plus, Lovie runs a 43, Tampa 2 scheme, so no on him regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Thank you, Buffalo.

Never, ever change.

Hysterical.
    Why don't you like the Marrone hire? Everything I hear about him is outstanding.

Rookie
    Doug Marrone was the former offensive line coach with the Jets a few years back. Stayed in NY.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Why don't you like the Marrone hire? Everything I hear about him is outstanding.
    Although he has some actual NFL ties (played two years, Jets OL coach '02-'05 and Saints OC '06-'08), his only H.C.'ing experience is three years at Syracuse. He's been out of the NFL game for three years now. I'm never one for hiring collegiate coaches, but that's me. I think Cleveland or Philadelphia will be making a huge mistake with Chip Kelly, too. Maybe Buffalo found their diamond in the rough with Marrone, and I'd take him over Kelly, but passing on Lovie Smith or Ken Whisenhunt for him will come back to bite them, in my opinion. We'll see. I'm shocked after the Chan Gailey experiment that they'd go this way again.

I think there are like 5 HC openings... How many was Marrone invited to interview for? A guy with a career .500 record at Syracuse! The Bills just can't get out of their own way!

Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Although he has some actual NFL ties (played two years, Jets OL coach '02-'05 and Saints OC '06-'08), his only H.C.'ing experience is three years at Syracuse. He's been out of the NFL game for three years now. I'm never one for hiring collegiate coaches, but that's me. I think Cleveland or Philadelphia will be making a huge mistake with Chip Kelly, too. Maybe Buffalo found their diamond in the rough with Marrone, and I'd take him over Kelly, but passing on Lovie Smith or Ken Whisenhunt for him will come back to bite them, in my opinion. We'll see. I'm shocked after the Chan Gailey experiment that they'd go this way again.
    And I take the different tack, he played in the league, coached in the league and then took over a losing college program and made them successful. And being from the area, he has that god will built in.

Syracuse people always being talked is the only hesitancy I have, so much of the northeast media being syracuse grads.

Hall Of Fame
    Where is Stokesy when you need him?

Everything I have ever read about Marrone has been positive. IMO he isn't a top college coach but he was up and coming. He has NFL experience. He is a NY guy. I can see why the Bills hired him.

Bills are hoping that Marrone is an up and coming coach, and that he's going to grow with the team.

He hasn't reached his potential as a coach, and the Bills are praying that ceiling is high.

Hall Of Fame
    It will be interesting to see if he drafts Nassib this year in the second round. The Bills pick ahead of the Jets and it will be telling to see what he actually thinks about Nassib after coaching him for the last few years.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Lot of people mocked the Schiano hiring in Tampa initially as well.

It's a good hire for Buffalo, sad to lose him from Syracuse. I think he's a much better fit for the pro game than Kelly will be.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by scott dierking II View Post
    Lot of people mocked the Schiano hiring in Tampa initially as well.
    And how's that working out for the 7-9 Buccaneers?

They did the same exact thing they did the year before - collapsed down the stretch.

And I take the different tack, he played in the league, coached in the league and then took over a losing college program and made them successful. And being from the area, he has that god will built in.

Syracuse people always being talked is the only hesitancy I have, so much of the northeast media being syracuse grads.
    To each his own. We'll see what happens. I'm not a fan of college coaches, plain and simple. His brief NFL experience helps him more so than someone like Kelly though.