Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bills Hire Doug Marrone as Head Coach

Bills are cheap. After shoveling all their money to Mario and such, they cannot afford paying 4-5 mil a year (that prob what Lovie will want).

Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    I think there are like 5 HC openings... How many was Marrone invited to interview for? A guy with a career .500 record at Syracuse! The Bills just can't get out of their own way!
    He was also on Philly's and the Browns list of candidates. He took over a horrible program from Robinson and won two bowl games. The team he took over went 3-25 in the big east! How bad must a team be to go 3-25 in the big east?

The Bills have some nice pieces for him to work with, I never liked Gailey as a coach. I think they will cut Fitzpatrick unless he takes a cut.

Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    And how's that working out for the 7-9 Buccaneers?

They did the same exact thing they did the year before - collapsed down the stretch.
    wow, your willing to close the book after one chapter?

All Pro
    i love the marrone hire he took a dead syracuse team and made them relevant again he is a damn good coach for what he had to work with.

If he stayed at cuse give him another year or two of recruiting and you will see the likes of a mcnabb, moore,bulluck,darius, and the others.

Jets Insider VIP
    Thank you, Buffalo.

Never, ever change.

Hysterical.
    Agreed. This hire makes no sense.
    After the terrible hire that was Chan Gailey they come back with this?

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Rich Cimini (@RichCimini) 1/6/13, 9:17 AM
    Possible Doug Marrone-to-Bills impact on #Jets: UFA Brandon Moore a fan of Marrone; his first OL coach.

Goodbye Buttfumble.

SAR I

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

I think Doug Marrone is a good hire for the Bills. He is a guy I've rooted for in the past, with strong local ties I think he is from the Bronx, who did a great job with the Jets while here and brought Syracuse back from the abyss. I've met him too, good guy and a riot. Too bad he is in the division now I would like to have seen him succeed elsewhere.

Certainly a big loss for Syracuse. Time will tell how good of a hire for Buffalo but worth a shot over a re-tread. Marrone has solid marks every place he has been.

So much for Syracuse being Marrone's "dream job" though. 4 years and out? 1st time NFL comes sniffing and he jumps ship. Can't blame him too much for taking the opportunity but didn't AD Gross just say Marrone was secured for awhile?

Hmmmm....dark days for the Orange ahead...again.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    wow, your willing to close the book after one chapter?
    Schiano's a loud mouth who did some nice things at Rutgers, but it's the Big East and once Ray Rice left they were hardly ever competitive for anything that mattered. He'll be back in the collegiate ranks by 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    Agreed. This hire makes no sense.
    After the terrible hire that was Chan Gailey they come back with this?
    Can't wait for their next NCAA coach hire in January 2016.

Jets Insider VIP
    And how's that working out for the 7-9 Buccaneers?

They did the same exact thing they did the year before - collapsed down the stretch.
    The Bucs were a much better team under schiano then they were under morris. Stop it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    The Bucs were a much better team under schiano then they were under morris. Stop it.
    LOL. K. Looking forward to another under .500 year from Tampa Bay next year and the Rutgers "fans" - 90 percent of which didn't know Rutgers was in the state of NJ or had D1 football until 2005 - can continue their lame duck excuses. Oh, and I pray some team tries his bush league kneel down tactics against Tampa Bay next year and tears the ACL of their most prominent OL. I'd instantly become a fan of that coach for the rest of his life. Perhaps we will, seeing that will be one of the five or six wins we get next season.

Quote Originally Posted by frostlich View Post
    Certainly a big loss for Syracuse. Time will tell how good of a hire for Buffalo but worth a shot over a re-tread. Marrone has solid marks every place he has been.

So much for Syracuse being Marrone's "dream job" though. 4 years and out? 1st time NFL comes sniffing and he jumps ship. Can't blame him too much for taking the opportunity but didn't AD Gross just say Marrone was secured for awhile?

Hmmmm....dark days for the Orange ahead...again.
    The whole "dream job" angle is overplayed. He got his dream job, doesn't mean he has to stay forever. He left the program in much, much better shape than when he left it. The rumors are that Marrone and Gross were at odds over assistant coaches salaries and the long rumored new practice facilities that seem to never come.

Marrone is a NFL guy first, IMO. It's where most of his experience is, the Syracuse thing was just good for him to cut his teeth.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Possible Doug Marrone-to-Bills impact on #Jets: UFA Brandon Moore a fan of Marrone; his first OL coach.

Goodbye Buttfumble.

SAR I

Sanchez isn't going the Bills.

Quote Originally Posted by SyracuseJet View Post
    The whole "dream job" angle is overplayed. He got his dream job, doesn't mean he has to stay forever. He left the program in much, much better shape than when he left it. The rumors are that Marrone and Gross were at odds over assistant coaches salaries and the long rumored new practice facilities that seem to never come.

Marrone is a NFL guy first, IMO. It's where most of his experience is, the Syracuse thing was just good for him to cut his teeth.
    Terrible if true. SU hasn't been exactly 'frugal' under Cantor in seemingly everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Why don't you like the Marrone hire? Everything I hear about him is outstanding.
    I can see why people outside of Syracuse might think this is a questionable hire. But, living up here I can tell you this was a very good hire. 25-25 in the Big East is not an impressive stat. But, when he got here he was left with nothing and I mean nothing to work with. Gregg Robinson was the worse head coach I've ever seen. He was like a Kotite. And because of that recruiting fell to rock bottom. The players were smaller and slower and his playcalling was hidious. I mean they were barely beating teams like Buffalo U. and losing at home to Akron. When Marrone arrived players were quiting or getting kicked off in droves. He was driving the bus and if you wanted to stay you had to follow his rules. In 4 years here he won a share of the Big East title and two bowl games. A couple real good home victories against top ten teams also in W. Virginia and Louisville. He also made Ryan Nassib a legit NFL prospect. A kid that was just aweful a few years ago.

Don't sleep on this guy Jets fans. I'm telling you.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

They already have a disaster at QB. They don't need another one.

Marrone might have had Syracuse on the right track, but his resume is still incredibly weak for someone gunning for an NFL HC position. A .500 record in the Big East? An 11-17 record in Conference? Cmon. Turning an awful college program into a below average program isn't the resume of an NFL HC. Whoever is his agent deserves a huge raise, because that was one hell of a sell job to even put him in the same sentence as someone like Chip Kelly.

And comparing him to Schiano to justify it probably isn't the smartest move, since outside of the NY/NJ area, most people ripped on the Schiano hire for those reasons I mentioned above. Most of the media loves the Marrone move (Although I'm not shocked, half of the current sportswriters are Syracuse Grads, can you say biased?)

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

Goodbye Buttfumble.

SAR I
    Great call. The bills need depth and Marrone was the guy that developed him

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

Sanchez didn't get blown off his block by Wilfork so, no, he's not the one going to the Bills.

SAR I