Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bills Hire Doug Marrone as Head Coach

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Marrone might have had Syracuse on the right track, but his resume is still incredibly weak for someone gunning for an NFL HC position. A .500 record in the Big East? An 11-17 record in Conference? Cmon. Turning an awful college program into a below average program isn't the resume of an NFL HC. Whoever is his agent deserves a huge raise, because that was one hell of a sell job to even put him in the same sentence as someone like Chip Kelly.

And comparing him to Schiano to justify it probably isn't the smartest move, since outside of the NY/NJ area, most people ripped on the Schiano hire for those reasons I mentioned above. Most of the media loves the Marrone move (Although I'm not shocked, half of the current sportswriters are Syracuse Grads, can you say biased?)
    And if he would have skipped Syracuse this year and head coached at Arknasas for two years, that would have changed your mind. The guy was an OC for 3 years and put in and implemented a high powered passing attack in the NFL. Payton thought the world of him.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Marrone under the Payton regime was the equivalent of Mike Pettine in the last 4 years here.

Sean Payton ran that offense and even called the plays. Could Marrone have been giving some insights that were helpful? Sure. But he was really only the Offensive Coordinator in title only. It was Payton that was truly calling the shots.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Marrone under the Payton regime was the equivalent of Mike Pettine in the last 4 years here.

Sean Payton ran that offense and even called the plays. Could Marrone have been giving some insights that were helpful? Sure. But he was really only the Offensive Coordinator in title only. It was Payton that was truly calling the shots.
    And then went to college, rebuilt a program, and honed his craft so that he could return to the NFL. It's actually a better resume than most college coaches going to the NFL, because he actually has NFL experience.

I have no idea if he will succeed or not, but to dismiss him because he was the coach of Syracuse is absurd.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SyracuseJet View Post
    And then went to college, rebuilt a program, and honed his craft so that he could return to the NFL. It's actually a better resume than most college coaches going to the NFL, because he actually has NFL experience.

I have no idea if he will succeed or not, but to dismiss him because he was the coach of Syracuse is absurd.
    I'm not saying he has no chance, I'm just saying he has a very weak resume by NFL Head Coaching job standards.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not saying he has no chance, I'm just saying he has a very weak resume by NFL Head Coaching job standards.
    I guess it's a matter of perception and what you like in a coach. I find his resume much stronger than Chip Kelly's, among others.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scott dierking II View Post
    Lot of people mocked the Schiano hiring in Tampa initially as well.

Schiano has done what? At Rutgers or TB? Zip. Plus he's a punk.
    Marrone coached Syracuse. They stink. Him and Buffalo - perfect together.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Marrone might have had Syracuse on the right track, but his resume is still incredibly weak for someone gunning for an NFL HC position. A .500 record in the Big East? An 11-17 record in Conference? Cmon. Turning an awful college program into a below average program isn't the resume of an NFL HC. Whoever is his agent deserves a huge raise, because that was one hell of a sell job to even put him in the same sentence as someone like Chip Kelly.

And comparing him to Schiano to justify it probably isn't the smartest move, since outside of the NY/NJ area, most people ripped on the Schiano hire for those reasons I mentioned above. Most of the media loves the Marrone move (Although I'm not shocked, half of the current sportswriters are Syracuse Grads, can you say biased?)
    You consider Syracuse a below average program? I disagree. Top 25? No.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    And if he would have skipped Syracuse this year and head coached at Arknasas for two years, that would have changed your mind. The guy was an OC for 3 years and put in and implemented a high powered passing attack in the NFL. Payton thought the world of him.
    Patman......you guys went through the Syracuse experiment a few years back. How did coach "MAC' work out?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Sanchez didn't get blown off his block by Wilfork so, no, he's not the one going to the Bills.

SAR I
    Is it really this difficult to ever take yourself out of schtick mode? Or are you simply THAT clueless and blind?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    Patman......you guys went through the Syracuse experiment a few years back. How did coach "MAC' work out?
    What does that mean?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    He's been out of the NFL game for three years now. I'm never one for hiring collegiate coaches, but that's me.
    YA - SanFran is really regretting their decision to hire Harbaugh. Pete Carrol's 2 playoff appearances in 3 years is bs too..

Coaches bomb all the time. College converts, NFL coordinators, it doesn't matter. You just gotta go after the guy you think can get it done.

Doug did a great job at Syracuse. You should be worried until proven otherwise.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetfan16 View Post
    Is it really this difficult to ever take yourself out of schtick mode? Or are you simply THAT clueless and blind?
    It's never schtick mode, chief.

I see things differently than most Jets fans. You know, "clearly".

If Moore is doing his job, Wilfork is being pushed to the left. Instead, Moore didn't do his job and Wilfork blasted him to the right. The quarterback is doing a million things on that play. The fat lineman is doing one thing on that play. When Mark took off scrambling he was looking downfield, wasn't expecting Wilfork to throw Moore like a rag doll into his face.

SAR I

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    As someone who saw Syracuse football for one full semester (and still follows/roots for them) he's a good coach but not NFL caliber yet. His teams play up and down to their opponents.

Last year they CRUSHED West Virginia in a HUGE HUGE game and then proceeded to lose their next 4 or 5 and miss bowl eligibility.

Also, his offensive system is a pretty gimmicky one and I don't think it'll work in the NFL.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    It's never schtick mode, chief.

I see things differently than most Jets fans. You know, "clearly".

If Moore is doing his job, Wilfork is being pushed to the left. Instead, Moore didn't do his job and Wilfork blasted him to the right. The quarterback is doing a million things on that play. The fat lineman is doing one thing on that play. When Mark took off scrambling he was looking downfield, wasn't expecting Wilfork to throw Moore like a rag doll into his face.

SAR I
    Ok, then you really have no idea what you're talking about. Sanchez FORGOT what the ****ing play was, took off like a chicken with its head cut off, and tried to run through Moore's ass, who, by the way, was holding his own against Wilfork on that particular play. I understand you're trying to entertain yourself and all here, and you're probably just trying to incite responses out of people with idiotic posts like this, but if you're being serious, please buy yourself a clue!!!!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I assume they'll want Ryan Nassib now? Could be interesting.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    If we can Pettine, any chance we go after Lovie?
    With all of the vacancies out there, why would Lovie -- a HC who won 10 games last year and has been to a SB -- go anywhere to be a DC?

I think it's a lock that he gets another HC gig.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. As a Jets fan, I'm fine with this hire. Much better for us than if they got Lovie Smith or a highly regarded coordinator from a successful NFL team.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ozu View Post
    I assume they'll want Ryan Nassib now? Could be interesting.
    The Buffalo Bills selection of SU Orange HC Doug Marrone to be the new Bills coach is strictly a marketing move and has nothing to do with football.

Newly minted Bills President & CEO Russ Brandon is from Syracuse, New York. He knows the financial value of bringing a SU coach west to Buffalo. Brandon used to be the Bills' Marketing Director.

So you're right, don't be surprised that the Bills want to select SU QB Ryan Nassib in the draft. Also don't be surprised to hear the Bills want to play a pre-season game or some kind of practice at the Dome in Syracuse.

Doug Marrone is mediocre and his record at SU reflects that.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbanyJet View Post
    The Buffalo Bills selection of SU Orange HC Doug Marrone to be the new Bills coach is strictly a marketing move and has nothing to do with football.

Newly minted Bills President & CEO Russ Brandon is from Syracuse, New York. He knows the financial value of bringing a SU coach west to Buffalo. Brandon used to be the Bills' Marketing Director.

So you're right, don't be surprised that the Bills want to select SU QB Ryan Nassib in the draft. Also don't be surprised to hear the Bills want to play a pre-season game or some kind of practice at the Dome in Syracuse.

Doug Marrone is mediocre and his record at SU reflects that.

That must be why he interviewed for so many jobs. All those teams wanted him for non-football reasons.

I know we all hate Buffalo, but try to be objective.