Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Can someone tell me what's so great about Tom Gamble?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Mays may have been the best S athlete I had ever seen. He was amazing to watch work out. He had a great up side he just couldn't play worth a damn. Not many GMs looked great in 09. That 07 draft is as good as it gets though.
    Exactly, AND it wasn't a first rounder. Mays was a guy who fell, had wonderful upside and those are the guys you get in the second. There were even rumors the Jets would select Mays with their first rounder. That 07 draft was fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by houyx View Post
    Oh please. If Tannebaum made those same picks (the ones I bolded) at those same spots, he would have been crucified by Jets fans here.
    Actually, no. No they wouldn't. Hindsight is 20/20. No one thought Smith would be that bad and Rodgers would be that good. And you know what? For as bad as Smith's career has been, once he got some stability and solid coaching he became servicable and has a chance to turn things around.

Some that you listed aren't even first rounders but third and second rounders. By that logic, Tannenbaums recent bombs include Gholston, Sanchez, Wilson, Ducasse, Greene and he didn't hit on any other picks because he was too busy trading them away. Hell, half our 2012 draft was cut.

His draft resume is fine.
    Last edited by Mogglez; 01-06-2013 at 02:28 PM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

This man surely looks capable of winning a Super Bowl.

SAR I
    Say isnt that a picture of him pinching a loaf over your tonsils?

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    Say isnt that a picture of him pinching a loaf over your tonsils?
    If that's what it takes to win a Super Bowl, I'm all-in.

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by Mogglez View Post
    Actually, no. No they wouldn't. Hindsight is 20/20. No one thought Smith would be that bad and Rodgers would be that good. And you know what? For as bad as Smith's career has been, once he got some stability and solid coaching he became servicable and has a chance to turn things around.

Some that you listed aren't even first rounders but third and second rounders. By that logic, Tannenbaums recent bombs include Gholston, Sanchez, Wilson, Ducasse, Greene and he didn't hit on any other picks because he was too busy trading them away. Hell, half our 2012 draft was cut.

His draft resume is fine.
    oh yes they would have, definitely. if you read my post i said 1st and 2nd rounders.

Tannenbaum's last 2 #1 picks were good, Wilkerson and Coples. I wouldn't call Greene a bad pick. He's not a great back but he's given the Jets some production, hasn't been injured much and doesn't fumble the ball.

Don't get me wrong, I think Gamble is better than Tannebaum but Gamble is definitely going to make a few bad draft picks as his history has shown.

All Pro

SAR I
    As long as Tomsula doesn't have a fistula, no anal papula, and no fecal coagula or scrofula is present, only fecula and healthy torula, and excreted on a spatula, on a peninsula, that could be a formula for success...
    Last edited by Jungle Shift Jet; 01-06-2013 at 03:13 PM.

All League
    He was strictly doing pro personnel scouting until 2010 so criticizing his draft record before that is looking at the wrong guy.
    He started out in pro personnel; it wasn't until 2010 that he got involved in the draft. The '10 draft was a winner, having produced three starters -- RT Anthony Davis, G Mike Iupati (Pro Bowl) and LB Navorro Bowman (Pro Bowl), a great third-round pick.

The '11 draft was basically a two-man haul -- OLB Aldon Smith (Pro Bowl) and QB Colin Kaepernick. The jury's still out on Kaepernick. If he develops into a consistent winner, the draft will be a smashing success. Anytime you can get a stud pass-rusher and a starting QB, you're doing OK.

oh yes they would have, definitely. if you read my post i said 1st and 2nd rounders.

Tannenbaum's last 2 #1 picks were good, Wilkerson and Coples. I wouldn't call Greene a bad pick. He's not a great back but he's given the Jets some production, hasn't been injured much and doesn't fumble the ball.

Don't get me wrong, I think Gamble is better than Tannebaum but Gamble is definitely going to make a few bad draft picks as his history has shown.
    They all do..no question. Equally as important is the way he manages the cap.
    What he does with Revis, QB position etc.

You asked about the ones you bolded. There were zero picks that were real shockers. Just because they didnt pan out doesn't mean they were questionable picks. Everyone thought leading up that Smith or Rodgers would be the first overall pick and would have been worthy of it. You also threw coffee, a third round running back in there. Did he miss one or two? Yeah. Every GM does. But your calling into question a pick like Jenkins when he's played one year in the NFL. They needed a WR and Jenkins based off of production and pedigree was the best one there. He needs to develop but it's not a questionable pick.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cooler King View Post
    He's friends with Rex Ryan...that's why he's getting the job...this was all planned out probably weeks ago...as stated, just another Woody band aid...nothing will change...Rex will still call the shots on personnel...continue to be a horrible game manager and never let his offense be successful because everyone needs to talk about his defense....he wants to win games by scores of 7-6..
    If your opinion was based on fact, than it wouldn't sound so silly

[QUOTE=Mogglez;4762286]You asked about the ones you bolded. There were zero picks that were real shockers. Just because they didnt pan out doesn't mean they were questionable picks. Everyone thought leading up that Smith or Rodgers would be the first overall pick and would have been worthy of it. You also threw coffee, a third round running back in there. Did he miss one or two? Yeah. Every GM does. But your calling into question a pick like Jenkins when he's played one year in the NFL. They needed a WR and Jenkins based off of production and pedigree was the best one there. He needs to develop but it's not a questionable pick.[/QUOTE]

1st round pick WR with zero receptions for the entire year. None. Think about that for a second.

That's a bust, big time (so far at least).

I don't know much about this guy, except for whats been written in this thread, and some stuff I've heard on tv, but it sounds like a pretty good hire to me, and thats coming from a dolphins fan.

It's also good that a guy with his resume was willing to take the job. I'm not going to call the Jets a complete mess, but he's got his work cut out for him. He could've waited to take a job with a better situation (more cap flexibility, better talent) but that fact that he took this job tells me he's up for a challenge and he's motivated to fix all of the issues.

[QUOTE=houyx;4762346]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogglez View Post
    You asked about the ones you bolded. There were zero picks that were real shockers. Just because they didnt pan out doesn't mean they were questionable picks. Everyone thought leading up that Smith or Rodgers would be the first overall pick and would have been worthy of it. You also threw coffee, a third round running back in there. Did he miss one or two? Yeah. Every GM does. But your calling into question a pick like Jenkins when he's played one year in the NFL. They needed a WR and Jenkins based off of production and pedigree was the best one there. He needs to develop but it's not a questionable pick.[/QUOTE]

1st round pick WR with zero receptions for the entire year. None. Think about that for a second.

That's a bust, big time (so far at least).
    So far yes he's struggled, but he can still contribute in the playoffs and next year. It's still only one year you don't list him as a bust. Regardless, that is not what the debate is. You said it was a questionable pick that would have been chewed apart. It isn't. The pick made sense. End of story.

Gholston was a bust but he was still worthy of the selection at the time. He was the best pass rusher of his class and we needed one. Also based of his production at Ohio State he was worthy of a top 10 pick. You don't hit on every pick but none of those picks made were questionable at the time.

Jets Insider VIP

1. No tatoos.

2. Bad teeth.

3. Insincere smile.

4. Droopy left eye.

5. Photoshopped publicity photo.

SAR I
    Only one of those pictures is Gamble. (Top left)

The other two are pictures of Greg Roman.

Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post

Please don't interrupt his shtick...

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    Please don't interrupt his shtick...
    Sorry.

Note to self: never let facts get in the way of a good story.

Jets Insider VIP

SAR I
    We know.

Sorry.

Note to self: never let facts get in the way of a good story.
    Ken Moore appreciates it.

Thankee.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

See!

Knew you can't trust this Gamble guy.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    How many feet do I have to sit back from the computer to think that is Tom Gamble?