Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can someone tell me what's so great about Tom Gamble?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Can someone tell me what's so great about Tom Gamble?

he may be. I'm not saying he isn't. I just don't know what he's done to get all this praise.

Also, Hopefully, he wasn't the one who got the 9ers to draft Alex Smith first overall!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tom Gamble is in his 24th NFL season and his seventh year with the 49ers. On February 4, 2011, Gamble was promoted to Director of Player Personnel after having served as the Director of Pro Personnel for the previous seven years in San Francisco.

Gamble’s extensive NFL resume includes work in both college and pro scouting, contract negotiations, and a stint in the coaching ranks.

While working closely with General Manager Trent Baalke, Gamble oversees both the college and pro personnel efforts. In his previous role, Gamble monitored every NFL roster with an emphasis on scouting talent of upcoming pro free agents, while also maintaining continuous depth of personnel on the 49ers roster. In 2010, Gamble had been assigned additional responsibilities in collegiate scouting in order to maximize the use of his extensive experience in talent evaluation.

During his time in the NFL, Gamble has helped build nine playoff teams – five with Indianapolis and four with Philadelphia. Prior to his arrival in San Francisco, Gamble served as a college scout for the Colts from 1998 to 2004 under veteran NFL executive Bill Polian.

Gamble originally entered the NFL as an assistant in the player personnel department of the Philadelphia Eagles in 1988. He stayed with the Eagles through 1994, serving as a college scouting administrator, area scout, contract negotiator, and later served as the director of pro scouting.

From 1995 to 1996, Gamble served as a defensive assistant/quality control coach with the New York Jets. He then worked as a part-time college scout for the Carolina Panthers before serving as a pro scout for the Baltimore Ravens during the 1997 season.

Gamble earned his B.S. from High Point University in 1987 and an M.S. from Rowan University in 1988. He grew up in a football family, where his father, Harry, served as the head coach at both the University of Pennsylvania and Lafayette College. Harry was also formerly the President of the Philadelphia Eagles.

http://www.49ers.com/team/staff/tom-...8-6bfb470bb433

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ctjetfan View Post
    he may be. I'm not saying he isn't. I just don't know what he's done to get all this praise.

Also, Hopefully, he wasn't the one who got the 9ers to draft Alex Smith first overall!
    Well he was the top of the list of GMs from all the major sports outlets. I think most of this was based on reports from people that work in the NFL. Unless we interview him ourselves, and the rest of the SF front office, then that's all we have to go by. It certainly would put a damper on all the SOJF haters, and the media that said we had nothing to offer a top flight prospect.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's friends with Rex Ryan...that's why he's getting the job...this was all planned out probably weeks ago...as stated, just another Woody band aid...nothing will change...Rex will still call the shots on personnel...continue to be a horrible game manager and never let his offense be successful because everyone needs to talk about his defense....he wants to win games by scores of 7-6..

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's not mike tannenbaum

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cooler King View Post
    He's friends with Rex Ryan...that's why he's getting the job...this was all planned out probably weeks ago...as stated, just another Woody band aid...nothing will change...Rex will still call the shots on personnel...continue to be a horrible game manager and never let his offense be successful because everyone needs to talk about his defense....he wants to win games by scores of 7-6..
    Heavy flow day, huh?

Sent from a phone using an app

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great resume. Has spent a long team gaining experience. No flash in the pan. Has covered each step of the way.
    Jets would be lucky. Fortunate for the Jets he is getting older and HAS to move now (or soon). His path is blocked in SF.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Heavy flow day, huh?

Could use a midol and a snickers.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Been posted here before from Adam Caplan:

Tom Gamble
    San Francisco 49ers/Director of Player Personnel: In my 14 years of covering the NFL, I don’t recall getting as many strong comments about a potential GM candidate from high-ranking personnel executives and NFL player agents as I’ve received about Gamble in doing research for this piece. In fact, one NFL GM said my list should start with Gamble for the very fact that he’s about as well-rounded of a candidate as you’ll find.

And when you examine Gamble’s background, you can understand why.

He got started in the NFL at a very young age -- literally right out of college -- with the Philadelphia Eagles in 1988. His father, Harry, was the president of the team at that time. And the younger Gamble was around football growing up. His father was a long-time coach (pro and college) and then moved on to become an NFL executive late in his career.

Like his father, Tom Gamble is a rarity in NFL scouting departments these days: He not only has extensive pro and college scouting experience, he has experience with contract negations and the salary cap, and even has coaching experience (defensive assistant/quality control coach with the New York Jets for two seasons: 1995-1996) on the NFL side. While Gamble was promoted to his current role nearly two years ago, other teams have also been interested in him in recent years (St. Louis Rams and Oakland Raiders on more than one occasion).

Now in his 25th NFL season, Gamble has worked for five teams over that time period and has touched just about every possible aspect on the personnel side. He has helped build 10 playoff teams (four with the Eagles, five with the Indianapolis Colts, and one with the 49ers—and very likely another one this season).

Before taking a job with the 49ers back in 2005, Gamble worked for seven seasons as a college scout under former Colts GM Bill Polian, who is widely recognized as one of the best personnel evaluators in NFL history.

“He’s got a complete grounding in the game. He grew up in the game,” Polian explained to me recently about Gamble. “This is exceedingly important when you consider there are a lot of issues that you have to deal with when becoming a general manager that will come up with a team.

You’re at a big disadvantage if you don’t have this experience in dealing with everything. That’s why non-football people have a harder time succeeding. Because Tom has so much experience and grew up around the game with his dad, he’s going to be more prepared than most. That’s a huge advantage.”

And it’s that extensive experience which should help Gamble land a GM job for next season.

UPDATED 12/21: Two personnel sources said that Gamble should receive attention from at least three teams for expected GM openings next month.

http://www.thesidelineview.com/colum...neral-managers
    Last edited by C Mart; 01-06-2013 at 09:51 AM.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    You've got some crystal ball there.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Heavy flow day, huh?

lol

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have you read his bio?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah his name is not Mike Tannenbaum!! That's what's great about him!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets fan are the best at being negative!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Been posted here before from Adam Caplan:

Tom Gamble
    San Francisco 49ers/Director of Player Personnel: In my 14 years of covering the NFL, I don’t recall getting as many strong comments about a potential GM candidate from high-ranking personnel executives and NFL player agents as I’ve received about Gamble in doing research for this piece. In fact, one NFL GM said my list should start with Gamble for the very fact that he’s about as well-rounded of a candidate as you’ll find.

And when you examine Gamble’s background, you can understand why.

He got started in the NFL at a very young age -- literally right out of college -- with the Philadelphia Eagles in 1988. His father, Harry, was the president of the team at that time. And the younger Gamble was around football growing up. His father was a long-time coach (pro and college) and then moved on to become an NFL executive late in his career.

Like his father, Tom Gamble is a rarity in NFL scouting departments these days: He not only has extensive pro and college scouting experience, he has experience with contract negations and the salary cap, and even has coaching experience (defensive assistant/quality control coach with the New York Jets for two seasons: 1995-1996) on the NFL side. While Gamble was promoted to his current role nearly two years ago, other teams have also been interested in him in recent years (St. Louis Rams and Oakland Raiders on more than one occasion).

Now in his 25th NFL season, Gamble has worked for five teams over that time period and has touched just about every possible aspect on the personnel side. He has helped build 10 playoff teams (four with the Eagles, five with the Indianapolis Colts, and one with the 49ers—and very likely another one this season).

Before taking a job with the 49ers back in 2005, Gamble worked for seven seasons as a college scout under former Colts GM Bill Polian, who is widely recognized as one of the best personnel evaluators in NFL history.

“He’s got a complete grounding in the game. He grew up in the game,” Polian explained to me recently about Gamble. “This is exceedingly important when you consider there are a lot of issues that you have to deal with when becoming a general manager that will come up with a team.

You’re at a big disadvantage if you don’t have this experience in dealing with everything. That’s why non-football people have a harder time succeeding. Because Tom has so much experience and grew up around the game with his dad, he’s going to be more prepared than most. That’s a huge advantage.”

And it’s that extensive experience which should help Gamble land a GM job for next season.

UPDATED 12/21: Two personnel sources said that Gamble should receive attention from at least three teams for expected GM openings next month.

http://www.thesidelineview.com/colum...neral-managers
    Thanks. He sounds like a good one. Hopefully, Woody gives him full control and lets him pick his coach.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ken shroy View Post
    You've got some crystal ball there.
    Well, it is a different way to look at things.

He does seem to be the Rex Ryan equivalent of GM's. These days, hot GM prospects get a look in their mid-30s. This guys pushing 50 and was passed over numerous times on numerous other teams.

So either:

1. This guy was specifically picked because he's the type of GM that would be comfortable with Rex Ryan and continue to support his strategy to win on defense and a ground game for the next 3-4 years.

2. This is the best we could do because our front office is such a mess. Taking a flier on a GM project that was never given a look by anybody else in a whopping 25 years in the NFL.

SAR I

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

He appears to be a "great" GM candidate. It is unknown whether this translates to him being a great GM. Same as drafting a player in the first round based on potential, sometimes it pans out sometimes it doesn't, same as it'll be in this scenario. I'd still prefer a "proven" successful GM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Have you read his bio?
    Probably not. Too busy digging tunnels, playing baseball with himself, and thinking about racing motorbikes. I don't think Rex and Gamble are even friends - they just happen to know each other through their old Eagles connections. Some people just look for any negative that they can, I guess. Gamble is an excellent choice IMO.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Well, it is a different way to look at things.

He does seem to be the Rex Ryan equivalent of GM's. These days, hot GM prospects get a look in their mid-30s. This guys pushing 50 and was passed over numerous times on numerous other teams.

So either:

1. This guy was specifically picked because he's the type of GM that would be comfortable with Rex Ryan and continue to support his strategy to win on defense and a ground game for the next 3-4 years.

2. This is the best we could do because our front office is such a mess. Taking a flier on a GM project that was never given a look by anybody else in a whopping 25 years in the NFL.

SAR I
    .......or he has a the pedigree that can make him a great gm but yeh lets go with your two observations

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    First, he was being pursued by Jax, SD, and Cle.

Also, there is no indication that he likes Alex Smith. In his first draft with the miners, they Kaepernick with a high 2nd round pick.