Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Can someone tell me what's so great about Tom Gamble?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by houyx View Post
    His draft record is generally positive but he's had a fair number of draft busts (like 2012 #1 pick AJ Jenkins). He's no draft wizard imo. Good but not a miracle worker.
    A 2012 draft pick is already a bust?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

This man surely looks capable of winning a Super Bowl.

SAR I
    Looks like a younger version of Tony Sparano.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    As long as Tomsula doesn't have a fistula, no anal papula, and no fecal coagula or scrofula is present, only fecula and healthy torula, and excreted on a spatula, on a peninsula, that could be a formula for success...
    Take your schtick back to the hamper.

Quote Originally Posted by ozu View Post
    He was strictly doing pro personnel scouting until 2010 so criticizing his draft record before that is looking at the wrong guy.
    nobody is listening, I said the same thing in two other threads.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Been posted here before from Adam Caplan:

Tom Gamble
    San Francisco 49ers/Director of Player Personnel: In my 14 years of covering the NFL, I don’t recall getting as many strong comments about a potential GM candidate from high-ranking personnel executives and NFL player agents as I’ve received about Gamble in doing research for this piece. In fact, one NFL GM said my list should start with Gamble for the very fact that he’s about as well-rounded of a candidate as you’ll find.

And when you examine Gamble’s background, you can understand why.

He got started in the NFL at a very young age -- literally right out of college -- with the Philadelphia Eagles in 1988. His father, Harry, was the president of the team at that time. And the younger Gamble was around football growing up. His father was a long-time coach (pro and college) and then moved on to become an NFL executive late in his career.

Like his father, Tom Gamble is a rarity in NFL scouting departments these days: He not only has extensive pro and college scouting experience, he has experience with contract negations and the salary cap, and even has coaching experience (defensive assistant/quality control coach with the New York Jets for two seasons: 1995-1996) on the NFL side. While Gamble was promoted to his current role nearly two years ago, other teams have also been interested in him in recent years (St. Louis Rams and Oakland Raiders on more than one occasion).

Now in his 25th NFL season, Gamble has worked for five teams over that time period and has touched just about every possible aspect on the personnel side. He has helped build 10 playoff teams (four with the Eagles, five with the Indianapolis Colts, and one with the 49ers—and very likely another one this season).

Before taking a job with the 49ers back in 2005, Gamble worked for seven seasons as a college scout under former Colts GM Bill Polian, who is widely recognized as one of the best personnel evaluators in NFL history.

“He’s got a complete grounding in the game. He grew up in the game,” Polian explained to me recently about Gamble. “This is exceedingly important when you consider there are a lot of issues that you have to deal with when becoming a general manager that will come up with a team.

You’re at a big disadvantage if you don’t have this experience in dealing with everything. That’s why non-football people have a harder time succeeding. Because Tom has so much experience and grew up around the game with his dad, he’s going to be more prepared than most. That’s a huge advantage.”

And it’s that extensive experience which should help Gamble land a GM job for next season.

UPDATED 12/21: Two personnel sources said that Gamble should receive attention from at least three teams for expected GM openings next month.

http://www.thesidelineview.com/colum...neral-managers
    Thanks for posting. Jets would be lucky to land this guy. He also seems poised to take the next step in his career. Fortuitous confluence. Le'ts Go Jets!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Take your schtick back to the hamper.
    +1. Very unfunny post indeed. *yawn*

For what it's worth, Niner fans in the Bay Area (where I live and inundated with SF 49er news day in and day out) are very sorry to see him leave. He's very highly thought of out here by both SF and Oakland front offices and the media as well. I've not heard many negatives ... again, this doesn't mean he'll be successful by any stretch, but the perception of him out here is through the roof positive.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogglez View Post
    You asked about the ones you bolded. There were zero picks that were real shockers. Just because they didnt pan out doesn't mean they were questionable picks. Everyone thought leading up that Smith or Rodgers would be the first overall pick and would have been worthy of it. You also threw coffee, a third round running back in there. Did he miss one or two? Yeah. Every GM does. But your calling into question a pick like Jenkins when he's played one year in the NFL. They needed a WR and Jenkins based off of production and pedigree was the best one there. He needs to develop but it's not a questionable pick.
    It was basically the same as this years draft where no QB was worthy of a high 1. SF needed a QB, and they couldn't get out of that spot. Smith was the safe pick. Rodgers needed a lot of work. Rodgers was not very good for a long time. He was a lot like Sanchez the first couple years. He was considered a bust by a lot of people the first few years, but he was on the bench, and not ruined like Sanchez. They also don't kill you in GB is you throw a pick, but they do continue to take chances down the field. Well Rodgers started hitting on more big plays, and making fewer mistakes, building his confidence all the way, and Sanchez, well he took another route. Smith is limited athletically. He'll never be more than a game manager. We should sign Moore, until we can draft one. Maybe we get lucky this year. There are some hit or miss guys to be had in rounds 2-4, but we can win with Moore.

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    It was basically the same as this years draft where no QB was worthy of a high 1. SF needed a QB, and they couldn't get out of that spot. Smith was the safe pick. Rodgers needed a lot of work. Rodgers was not very good for a long time. He was a lot like Sanchez the first couple years. He was considered a bust by a lot of people the first few years, but he was on the bench, and not ruined like Sanchez. They also don't kill you in GB is you throw a pick, but they do continue to take chances down the field. Well Rodgers started hitting on more big plays, and making fewer mistakes, building his confidence all the way, and Sanchez, well he took another route. Smith is limited athletically. He'll never be more than a game manager. We should sign Moore, until we can draft one. Maybe we get lucky this year. There are some hit or miss guys to be had in rounds 2-4, but we can win with Moore.
    You're not seriously comparing Rogers and Sanchez as if they were remotely equal talents.....are you?

If the only difference you see between the best QB in the league, and the worst, is Coaches "ruining" Sanchez and not taking enough shots downfield and not booing him when he throws (yet another) pick, you'd be very VERY mistaken IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    You're not seriously comparing Rogers and Sanchez as if they were remotely equal talents.....are you?

If the only difference you see between the best QB in the league, and the worst, is Coaches "ruining" Sanchez and not taking enough shots downfield and not booing him when he throws (yet another) pick, you'd be very VERY mistaken IMO.
    They were pretty similar talents coming out, Sanchez better at some stuff and Rodgers better in some others. Turns out Sanchez' poor areas were overwhelming. The lack of accuracy and ability to stay calm in the pocket just weren't going to allow him to become a very good QB.

The frustrating part is that some people think the development actually means a lot. Like they actually believe Sanchez could have been a good QB if developed by a different team. Or that they also believe Rodgers is only really good because of how he was developed...

Tom Gamble looks a little bit like a clean cut version of Teddy Atlas (ie no facial scars).

Veteran
    The negative sentiment around here is definitely warranted. I mean, why on earth would anyone want someone with as much experience as this guy to at least take a shot with our organization? Especially when the rest of the options are so attractive - Atlanta..pass, Miami...seriously?, Scott Cohen...more of the same sounds great...,

The only guy worth the due diligence is Marc Ross, so we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by BleedGreen314 View Post
    The negative sentiment around here is definitely warranted. I mean, why on earth would anyone want someone with as much experience as this guy to at least take a shot with our organization? Especially when the rest of the options are so attractive - Atlanta..pass, Miami...seriously?, Scott Cohen...more of the same sounds great...,

The only guy worth the due diligence is Marc Ross, so we'll see.
    I really don't understand why people assume that the assistant GM has the same opinions that the acting GM had. Sure, some of them are pretty similar, but to attribute the draft picks or player signings to everyone that worked under Tannenbaum just doesn't make sense. Cohen's job was pro personnel which means he's just ranking and judging the other guys in the NFL.

Which also means it's not enough for him to love a particular player on another team, the GM also has to have the money and want to sign him.

That said, I'm rooting for Gamble. The 9ers have the best thing going in terms of roster outside of the QB position.

I don't want Ross at all, the Giants drafts are no better than ours under Tannenbaum.

Caldwell is the only other guy I'd consider if Dorsey isn't interested.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    I really don't understand why people assume that the assistant GM has the same opinions that the acting GM had. Sure, some of them are pretty similar, but to attribute the draft picks or player signings to everyone that worked under Tannenbaum just doesn't make sense. Cohen's job was pro personnel which means he's just ranking and judging the other guys in the NFL.

Which also means it's not enough for him to love a particular player on another team, the GM also has to have the money and want to sign him.

That said, I'm rooting for Gamble. The 9ers have the best thing going in terms of roster outside of the QB position.

I don't want Ross at all, the Giants drafts are no better than ours under Tannenbaum.

Caldwell is the only other guy I'd consider if Dorsey isn't interested.
    The Giants have a vastly superior roster to the Jets. Better drafts, FAs, coaching. Giants GM and his staff get the credit.

Is there any news about Gamble, or has he been completely ruled out?

The 49ers are in the playoffs, but I guess since we got permission to interview Gamble then we'd be able to announce it if we hired him, right? Or would we have to wait until the 49ers are out of the playoffs?

All Pro
    From 1995 to 1996, Gamble served as a defensive assistant/quality control coach with the New York Jets. Was hired By Kotite, who brought him over from the Eagles. He was on the staff of the worst Head coach in the history of the NYJ. Thats all I need to know about him. No thanks, don't like the Karma. If this guy had any talent Parcells would have kept him on staff, like he did with Bill Muir.
    Last edited by 2009fatman; 01-13-2013 at 02:14 AM.

Whoa, I did not know that. Why was he so highly touted by the Jets beat writers as our next possible GM then?

All Pro
    AJ Smith. The best option left for us. I don't want a first time GM who's gonna get bullied by Rex when it comes to making draft picks, and keeping control of the locker room. Smith would hire us the best OC. Hiring an OC cant be left for Rex to pick. He's proven he cant do it. Cam would be a disaster.
    Last edited by 2009fatman; 01-13-2013 at 03:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2009fatman View Post
    AJ Smith. The best option left for us. I don't want a first time GM who's gonna get bullied by Rex when it comes to making draft picks, and keeping control of the locker room. Smith would hire us the best OC. Hiring an OC cant be left for Rex to pick. He's proven he cant do it. Cam would be a disaster.
    I agree Fatman. We don't need a GM that Rex can ride roughshod over. I think that's what he did to Tanny, even though Tanny shouldn't have let him. Ew, I just puked in my mouth a little bit thinking about Rex hiring another OC like Sparano. We need someone innovative and flexible as OC; someone who can make changes during the middle of a game to help us win.

Quote Originally Posted by 2009fatman View Post
    I'm not an AJ Smith fan, but was high on Gamble!! What gives what could be have possibly have done interview to mess it up? Was he responsible for drafting Kaepernik b/c he's a stud!?