Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Can someone tell me what's so great about Tom Gamble?

Quote Originally Posted by The Cooler King View Post
    He's friends with Rex Ryan...that's why he's getting the job...this was all planned out probably weeks ago...as stated, just another Woody band aid...nothing will change...Rex will still call the shots on personnel...continue to be a horrible game manager and never let his offense be successful because everyone needs to talk about his defense....he wants to win games by scores of 7-6..
    What ?? You actually think he would submarine his awesome career this way. Rediculous.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    Probably not. Too busy digging tunnels, playing baseball with himself, and thinking about racing motorbikes. I don't think Rex and Gamble are even friends - they just happen to know each other through their old Eagles connections. Some people just look for any negative that they can, I guess. Gamble is an excellent choice IMO.
    If he goes with the Jets, the SOJ vultures will camp on his carcass and find everything wrong with him. It seems to be what some people do here. And when they are occasionally right in their negative predictions, it's amazing how they forget all the times they were wrong. There are guys who do that with the stock market... always predicting doom and gloom and the next depression. Once in a great while they are correct and feel enormously vindicated, as if all the times they were wrong meant nothing at all.

I think the change will be good for the Jets and hopefully move us toward a longer term strategy that leans more heavily on solid drafts and less on glitzy free agent purchases. The Jets need some patience. So do the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Could use a midol and a snickers.
    Is the cure for rustled Jimmies??? The world needs to know. SAR needs it too cause his lover Sanchez is probably on his way out. His world is crumbling around him and his leased cars.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cooler King View Post
    He's friends with Rex Ryan...that's why he's getting the job...this was all planned out probably weeks ago...as stated, just another Woody band aid...nothing will change...Rex will still call the shots on personnel...continue to be a horrible game manager and never let his offense be successful because everyone needs to talk about his defense....he wants to win games by scores of 7-6..
    He is not friends with gamble, they know each other.
    Get your facts straight. Their fathers worked together and did not see eye to eye

Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    If he goes with the Jets, the SOJ vultures will camp on his carcass and find everything wrong with him.
    They've already started. At least one person I see has already flip-flopped from loving the idea of getting Gamble, to already denouncing him in advance as the "Rex Ryan" of GM's.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    Get your facts straight. Their fathers worked together and did not see eye to eye
    this post needs to be repeated for all to see...

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Is the cure for rustled Jimmies??? The world needs to know. SAR needs it too cause his lover Sanchez is probably on his way out. His world is crumbling around him and his leased cars.
    lel.

Random thought, but isn't midol good for hangovers? I heard that from someone, but I have no clue if it's true. Perhaps a midol could cure some rustling as well.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Well, it is a different way to look at things.

He does seem to be the Rex Ryan equivalent of GM's. These days, hot GM prospects get a look in their mid-30s. This guys pushing 50 and was passed over numerous times on numerous other teams.

So either:

1. This guy was specifically picked because he's the type of GM that would be comfortable with Rex Ryan and continue to support his strategy to win on defense and a ground game for the next 3-4 years.

2. This is the best we could do because our front office is such a mess. Taking a flier on a GM project that was never given a look by anybody else in a whopping 25 years in the NFL.

SAR I
    I think you're reading too much into this. There are only 32 GM jobs, and only a few open each year.

The fact that he is pushing 50 has enabled him to gain varied experience. A younger candidate would not have such a well balanced resume. Additionally, timing and circumstance need to be right for both the GM candidate and the hiring team.

Buddy didn't see eye to eye with many people he was involved with while coaching, including Ditka (and of course Gilbride)...

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Blast View Post
    I think you're reading too much into this. There are only 32 GM jobs, and only a few open each year.

The fact that he is pushing 50 has enabled him to gain varied experience. A younger candidate would not have such a well balanced resume. Additionally, timing and circumstance need to be right for both the GM candidate and the hiring team.
    well said!

Hall Of Fame
    My only question about Gamble is how he views offense. I hope he is not going to be a "Rex GM". Our problems are all on one side of the ball. I think we will find out fairly quickly what he plans on doing with the offense.

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    lel.

Random thought, but isn't midol good for hangovers? I heard that from someone, but I have no clue if it's true. Perhaps a midol could cure some rustling as well.
    Eh Midol depending on which subtype you are thinking of is basically other OTC medications from ibuprofen (Advil) to acetimenophen (Tylenol) to naproxen (Aleve). The company just charges more because misguided women think that it is specific for their cramps. But really it's not different than the drugs I just mentioned lol. Hooray for medical school education

Now stop derailing the thread McGinley, we know you want the Midol for your cramps... hangover... psh

Signal Of Doom For Ryan

Owner Raps Benching Of Cunningham

January 07, 1991|By Don Pierson

Buddy Ryan appeared as good as gone Sunday after Philadelphia Eagles owner Norman Braman second-guessed his coach`s decision to yank quarterback Randall Cunningham from Saturday`s 20-6 playoff loss to the Washington Redskins.

``Seven points behind and he embarrasses Randall before a national television audience,`` Braman told Philadelphia Inquirer columnist Frank Dolson after refusing to address Ryan`s future Saturday night.

Contacted later by the Inquirer, Ryan responded to Braman by saying:

``Well, maybe that gives him the excuse to do what he wants to do. It really bothers me that he would say something like that. I don`t think it`s fair, but it`s his club, and he can do what he wants to with it.

``Somebody has gotten to him and influenced him and all that, so if that`s the way it`s going to be, that`s the way it`s going to be.``

Ryan`s five-year contract, which Braman gave him to leave the Bears after the 1985 Super Bowl season, expires Jan. 30. Braman refused to extend the contract during the season despite lobbying by Eagles players and signs of support from fans at home games.

After the loss to Washington, Ryan`s third in three opening-round playoff appearances, fans in Philadelphia chanted ``Bye-bye Buddy`` as Ryan left the field.

Ryan replaced Cunningham with Jim McMahon for one series with 2:20 left in the third quarter after the Redskins had gone ahead 13-6.

McMahon had thrown only nine passes all season and never had replaced Cunningham under similar conditions all season. McMahon, who hadn`t even warmed up, threw three lame incomplete passes from the Philadelphia 18.

Then a punt gave Washington the ball at the 45. Five plays later, the Redskins scored to go up 20-6. Cunningham returned for the next series.

``The idea of changing quarterbacks wasn`t to embarrass anybody,`` Ryan said when told of Braman`s dismay.

``People are scared to make decisions. I was trying to win the ballgame. I was embarrassed by the way we were doing things. It`s the coach`s prerogative everywhere I`ve coached to take people out of the game and put them in.``

Ryan has crossed Braman before, referring to him as ``the man in France`` because Braman spends summers there. Ryan`s penchant for taking credit rubbed Braman and the Eagles` front office the wrong way.

Ryan called General Manager Harry Gamble ``Braman`s illegitimate son.``

During the 1987 strike, Ryan laughed at his own replacement players, lost all three games and joked he was giving ``scab rings`` to the personnel department that hired the players.

That ploy gained Ryan loyalty from his regular players but not from the man who signs his paycheck.

``This is not a one-man operation,`` Braman said Saturday. ``We have great people in this organization. Harry Gamble has provided everything he wanted. I don`t think Harry has said no to Buddy Ryan in five years.``

Ryan became a mortal enemy of Bears coach Mike Ditka and managed to maintain feuds with other head coaches. He went after legends Bill Walsh, Tom Landry and Don Shula, alienated the Rams` John Robinson, made fun of ex-Lions coach Darryl Rogers and had no use for Landry`s replacement, Jimmy Johnson.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...-norman-braman

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post

Like his father, Tom Gamble is a rarity in NFL scouting departments these days: He not only has extensive pro and college scouting experience, he has experience with contract negations
    Calm down everyone, clearly he was picked to negate Rex and Mark's contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Eh Midol depending on which subtype you are thinking of is basically other OTC medications from ibuprofen (Advil) to acetimenophen (Tylenol) to naproxen (Aleve). The company just charges more because misguided women think that it is specific for their cramps. But really it's not different than the drugs I just mentioned lol. Hooray for medical school education

Now stop derailing the thread McGinley, we know you want the Midol for your cramps... hangover... psh
    I'm gonna kick you in your ovaries, lol.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by samoljets View Post
    He's not mike tannenbaum
    Ha ha , that was my 1st thought.

Gamble has certainly proved himself on the pro scouting side of the ball.

But where is the he friends with Rex comes from? Because he worked with his father 25 years ago? I am not saying that they are not, but I never heard of any connection.

If anything, why would you want them to be friends? You just want them to be able to work together. Friendship may get in the way.

Sound familiar??

October 29, 1990
    There is only one problem. The vision started this season with four losses in the first six games. The offense has stuttered under Buddy's new coordinator, Rich Kotite. The defense hasn't made the big plays like it used to. Buddy is in trouble.

"I don't want to talk about the contract," he says. "I don't want to talk about any conspiracies. I don't want to talk. Maybe, if we were 9-1, O.K.?"

Buddy not talking is like...fill in the blanks. Pavarotti not singing? Carl Lewis not running? Ed McMahon not explaining the intricacies of the American Family Publishers Sweepstakes? For five years in Philadelphia, and even before that as defensive coordinator of the Chicago Bears, he has been the NFL's master of bombast, invective and general all-around bluster. He is Roseanne Barr's father. He is Archie Bunker's next-door neighbor in Queens. He is Jackie Gleason's spiritual descendant.

(Bang! Zoom! To the moon, Alice!) He has demeaned opponents, feuded with their coaches, cut a player he said was worth "about two beers...and they don't have to be cold ones."

He has called Eagle owner Norman Braman, the auto-sales mogul who vacations at his summer home in Cap-d' Ail, "the guy in France." He has called Harry Gamble, the Eagles' president and chief operating officer, Braman's "illegitimate son." He has his own TV show and radio talk show. He even has a 900 number, which, according to the ad, allows fans to listen to Buddy's "uncensored opinions" for 99 cents a minute.

Not talking? For five years he has been as forceful as one of those real estate evangelists on late-night television, promising fortunes for housewives in their spare time. Now that the market has fallen, he doesn't have much to say. The early season has been a bungle. The fireflies of controversy have begun to blink as they always do around a loser. They blink faster around a loser who has specialized in alienation.

The contract is his weakness. He is in his last year and Braman—"the guy in France"—already has said there will be no negotiations on a new contract until the end of the season. The local media are calling the situation the Elevator War: The Fourth Floor Against the First Floor. The Eagles' executive offices are on the fourth floor of Veterans Stadium. The locker room is on the first.

All parties have issued the proper denials of trouble, but Jackson dragged the situation into the spotlight when he returned—in the limo sent by Buddy—from his holdout two games into the season. He said he had come back after the two defeats only "to save Buddy's job." He said he heard there was a "conspiracy" in the front office to make Buddy fail and then fire him. "Was that just a lot of talk at the time?" Jackson is asked now.

"Oh, no," he replies. "I heard things said by people that Buddy would be fired."

"What people? Fans? Friends?"

"Oh, no. People up there. High up there. Call it "informed sources.' You guys have your 'informed sources.' I have mine. I came back because I want Buddy to be the coach here as long as I'm here. I love Buddy."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...72/2/index.htm

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Have you read his bio?
    The answer to that C Mart is an obvious N-O.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Blast View Post

I'm not saying those are my thoughts. I'm just a fan, don't know anything about the inner workings of the 49ers front office. I can tell you emphatically that Rex sucks, I have no clue who Tom is.

I was just elaborating on what the other poster said, about how it's possible that Woody is so in love with Rex that he's going out of his way to give him a GM that wants him to succeed and/or that we're such a sad-sack organization right now we have to take sloppy-seconds because none of the A++ guys want to come here with the clown still running the circus. It's also possible this guy is going to be great and we've just taken our first steps towards the 2016 Super Bowl. Bill Polian is helping us, I feel good about that I guess.

SAR I