Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Can someone tell me what's so great about Tom Gamble?

@JasonLaCanfora: Owner Woody Johnson wants new GM to evaluate staff in 13. Gamble very high on Tomsula (DL coach). believes he can be strong head coach

@JasonLaCanfora: As many have noted for a while now, Tom Gamble (SF) well positioned to be Jets GM. By this time in 2014 Jim Tomsula (SF) could be his coach

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Been posted here before from Adam Caplan:

Tom Gamble
    San Francisco 49ers/Director of Player Personnel: In my 14 years of covering the NFL, I donít recall getting as many strong comments about a potential GM candidate from high-ranking personnel executives and NFL player agents as Iíve received about Gamble in doing research for this piece. In fact, one NFL GM said my list should start with Gamble for the very fact that heís about as well-rounded of a candidate as youíll find.

And when you examine Gambleís background, you can understand why.

He got started in the NFL at a very young age -- literally right out of college -- with the Philadelphia Eagles in 1988. His father, Harry, was the president of the team at that time. And the younger Gamble was around football growing up. His father was a long-time coach (pro and college) and then moved on to become an NFL executive late in his career.

Like his father, Tom Gamble is a rarity in NFL scouting departments these days: He not only has extensive pro and college scouting experience, he has experience with contract negations and the salary cap, and even has coaching experience (defensive assistant/quality control coach with the New York Jets for two seasons: 1995-1996) on the NFL side. While Gamble was promoted to his current role nearly two years ago, other teams have also been interested in him in recent years (St. Louis Rams and Oakland Raiders on more than one occasion).

Now in his 25th NFL season, Gamble has worked for five teams over that time period and has touched just about every possible aspect on the personnel side. He has helped build 10 playoff teams (four with the Eagles, five with the Indianapolis Colts, and one with the 49ersóand very likely another one this season).

Before taking a job with the 49ers back in 2005, Gamble worked for seven seasons as a college scout under former Colts GM Bill Polian, who is widely recognized as one of the best personnel evaluators in NFL history.

ďHeís got a complete grounding in the game. He grew up in the game,Ē Polian explained to me recently about Gamble. ďThis is exceedingly important when you consider there are a lot of issues that you have to deal with when becoming a general manager that will come up with a team.

Youíre at a big disadvantage if you donít have this experience in dealing with everything. Thatís why non-football people have a harder time succeeding. Because Tom has so much experience and grew up around the game with his dad, heís going to be more prepared than most. Thatís a huge advantage.Ē

And itís that extensive experience which should help Gamble land a GM job for next season.

UPDATED 12/21: Two personnel sources said that Gamble should receive attention from at least three teams for expected GM openings next month.

http://www.thesidelineview.com/colum...neral-managers
    Great read. Thanks. Sounds like a big step up from a glorified accountant.

Jets Insider VIP
    What ISN'T great about Tom Gamble?

The fact that he has such a diverse background (player personnel, scouting, coaching, etc.) within the game of football is a promising sign, and a vast improvement from a financial guy trying to learn as he went along. No one knows how everything will turn out, but from what I've seen it looks like Gamble is a very legitimate choice. Multiple teams were interested in him.

He's the polar opposite of Tannenbaum

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    lol SAR, name three hot GMs in their mid 30s.
    A few years back, all of the Belichick protege's all got jobs and all were in their 30's. There's an episode of A Football Life called Cleveland '95. You should watch it.

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    I'll reserve judgment on Gamble until we see what he can do.
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm going to have a lot of sleepless nights over the next 3 or 4 years awaiting your report.

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Well, it is a different way to look at things.

He does seem to be the Rex Ryan equivalent of GM's. These days, hot GM prospects get a look in their mid-30s. This guys pushing 50 and was passed over numerous times on numerous other teams.

So either:

1. This guy was specifically picked because he's the type of GM that would be comfortable with Rex Ryan and continue to support his strategy to win on defense and a ground game for the next 3-4 years.

2. This is the best we could do because our front office is such a mess. Taking a flier on a GM project that was never given a look by anybody else in a whopping 25 years in the NFL.

SAR I
    Yesterday you were on board, today back to your cheery self.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsPrisoner12 View Post
    hahaha, you noticed that also? all the great ones flip flop. well JI needs its Skip Bayless, I guess

Quote Originally Posted by sackdance View Post
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm going to have a lot of sleepless nights over the next 3 or 4 years awaiting your report.
    Gottem.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by JetsPrisoner12 View Post
    No...I was merely commenting on what a prior poster's comments were.

I have no clue who the hell Tom Gamble is, not even going to begin to understand what he brings to the table. He's very experienced and he's Bill Polian's recommendation. That's good news.

SAR I

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    A few years back, all of the Belichick protege's all got jobs and all were in their 30's. There's an episode of A Football Life called Cleveland '95. You should watch it.

SAR I

Where are they now? Pioli?

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    What ISN'T great about Tom Gamble?

1. No tatoos.

2. Bad teeth.

3. Insincere smile.

4. Droopy left eye.

5. Photoshopped publicity photo.

SAR I
    Last edited by SAR I; 01-06-2013 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ctjetfan View Post
    he may be. I'm not saying he isn't. I just don't know what he's done to get all this praise.

Also, Hopefully, he wasn't the one who got the 9ers to draft Alex Smith first overall!
    You really can't blame him for Smith. That was not a strong QB class. It was always Rodger or Smith and his scouts didn't like Rodgers style and size. Smith was a prototypical QB and SF wanted to get away from smaller running QBs at the time. I think he listened to his scouts which is not a bad thing most of the time. He wasn't making the sexy pick the fans wanted. Who know the fans where right. That almost never happens.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    @JasonLaCanfora: Owner Woody Johnson wants new GM to evaluate staff in 13. Gamble very high on Tomsula (DL coach). believes he can be strong head coach

@JasonLaCanfora: As many have noted for a while now, Tom Gamble (SF) well positioned to be Jets GM. By this time in 2014 Jim Tomsula (SF) could be his coach
    Barring a miracle, Rex is going to be toast after next season. Hopefully Gamble can bring Tomsula onboard for 2013. Make him the DC. Have him there just in case things blow up early in the year.

Of the top of my head the only members of the organization I see worth keeping are Bradway, Dunbar and Thurman. I am not familiar with everyone in the FO so there might be more there.

Sure

He is qualified for the position having experience in many areas, comes with impeccable references, has been a part of some successful organizations and has been a part of some very successful drafts.

Add it all together and he offers the Jets, and the fans by proxy, something that we need like water; HOPE.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Barring a miracle, Rex is going to be toast after next season. Hopefully Gamble can bring Tomsula onboard for 2013. Make him the DC. Have him there just in case things blow up early in the year.

This man surely looks capable of winning a Super Bowl.

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by houyx View Post
    His draft record is generally positive but he's had a fair number of draft busts (like 2012 #1 pick AJ Jenkins). He's no draft wizard imo. Good but not a miracle worker.

EDIT: he drafted lots of stars but also some questionable picks. I bolded the questionable picks from rounds 1 and 2 (don't have time to look up every player from all the rounds).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Fra...2005_NFL_Draft

2005 NFL Draft

Round Pick # Overall Name Position College
    1 1 1 Alex Smith Quarterback Utah
    2 1 33 David Baas Center Michigan
    3 1 65 Frank Gore Running Back Miami (FL)
    3 30 94 Adam Snyder Guard Oregon
    5 1 137 Ronald Fields Defensive Tackle Mississippi State
    5 38 174 Rasheed Marshall Wide Receiver West Virginia
    6 31 205 Derrick Johnson Cornerback Washington
    7 1 215 Daven Holly Cornerback Cincinnati
    7 9 223 Marcus Maxwell Wide Receiver Oregon
    7 34 248 Patrick Estes Offensive Tackle Virginia
    7 35 249 Billy Bajema Tight End Oklahoma State

2006 NFL Draft

1 6 6 Vernon Davis Tight End Maryland
    1 22 22 Manny Lawson Linebacker North Carolina State
    3 20 84 Brandon Williams Wide Receiver Wisconsin
    4 3 100 Michael Robinson Running Back Penn State
    5 7 140 Parys Haralson Linebacker Tennessee
    6 6 175 Delanie Walker Wide Receiver Central Missouri State
    6 23 192 Marcus Hudson Cornerback North Carolina State
    6 28 197 Melvin Oliver Defensive End Louisiana State
    7 46 254 Vickiel Vaughn Safety Arkansas

2007 NFL Draft

1 11 11 Patrick Willis Linebacker Mississippi
    1 28 28 Joe Staley Offensive Tackle Central Michigan
    3 12 76 Jason Hill Wide Receiver Washington State
    3 34 97 Ray McDonald Defensive End Florida
    4 5 104 Jay Moore Defensive End Nebraska
    4 27 126 Dashon Goldson Safety Washington
    4 36 135 Joe Cohen Defensive Tackle Florida
    5 10 147 Tarell Brown Cornerback Texas
    6 12 186 Thomas Clayton Running Back Kansas State

2008 NFL Draft

1 29 29 Kentwan Balmer Defensive Tackle North Carolina
    2 8 39 Chilo Rachal Guard Southern California
    3 12 75 Reggie Smith Safety Oklahoma
    4 8 107 Cody Wallace Center Texas A&M
    6 8 174 Josh Morgan Wide Receiver Virginia Tech
    7 7 214 Larry Grant Linebacker Ohio State

2009 NFL Draft

1 10 10 Michael Crabtree Wide Receiver Texas Tech
    3 10 74 Glen Coffee Running Back Alabama
    5 10 146 Scott McKillop Linebacker Pittsburgh
    5 35 171 Nate Davis Quarterback Ball State
    6 11 184 Bear Pascoe Tight End Fresno State
    7 10 219 Curtis Taylor Safety Louisiana State
    7 35 244 Ricky Jean-Francois Defensive End Louisiana State

2010 NFL Draft

1 11 11 Anthony Davis Offensive Tackle Rutgers
    1 17 17 Mike Iupati Guard Idaho
    2 17 49 Taylor Mays Safety Southern California
    3 27 91 NaVorro Bowman Linebacker Penn State
    6 4 173 Anthony Dixon Running Back Mississippi State
    6 13 182 Nate Byham Tight End Pittsburgh
    6 37 206 Kyle Williams Wide Receiver Arizona State
    7 17 224 Phillip Adams Cornerback South Carolina State

2011 NFL Draft

1 7 7 Aldon Smith Defensive End Missouri
    2 4 36 Colin Kaepernick Quarterback Nevada
    3 16 80 Chris Culliver Cornerback South Carolina
    4 18 115 Kendall Hunter Running Back Oklahoma State
    5 32 163 Daniel Kilgore Guard Appalachian State
    6 17 182 Ronald Johnson Wide Receiver USC
    6 25 190 Colin Jones Safety Texas Christian
    7 8 211 Bruce Miller Fullback Central Florida
    7 36 239 Mike Person Guard Montana State
    7 47 250 Curtis Holcomb Cornerback Florida A&M

2012 NFL Draft

1 30 30 A. J. Jenkins Wide Receiver Illinois
    2 29 61 LaMichael James Running Back Oregon
    4 22 117 Joe Looney Guard Wake Forest
    5 30 165 Darius Fleming Linebacker Notre Dame
    6 10 180 Trenton Robinson Safety Michigan State
    6 29 199 Jason Slowey Center Western Oregon
    7 30 237 Cam Johnson Defensive End Virginia
    Not one of the picks you mentioned were questionable. Smith was widely believed to be the first pick and no one really questioned it too much. Baas was ok not great. AJ jenkins has only played one year how the hell is a bust? Coffee was a talented back and abruptly retired for weird reasons. He missed on Balmer but hit on Josh Morgan that draft in the later rounds. Taylor Mays was another talanted player he took a chance on and was serviceable the one season he was there. He also took Navorro Bowman that same year whose better than any LB we have.

In one draft he helped select one of if not the best pass rushers in the game and a franchise qb. His resume is more than qualified. I wish we've had recent drafts like the 49ers.
    Last edited by Mogglez; 01-06-2013 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mogglez View Post
    Not one of the picks you mentioned were questionable. Smith was widely believed to be the first pick and no one really questioned it too much. Baas was eh. AJ jenkins has only played one year how the hell is a bust? Coffee was a talented back and abruptly retired for weird reasons. He missed on Balmer but hit on Josh Morgan that draft in the later rounds. Taylor Mays was another talanted player he took a chance on and was serviceable the one season he was there. He also took Navorro Bowman that same year whose better than any LB we have.

In one draft he helped select one of if not the best pass rushers in the game and a franchise qb. His resume is more than qualified. I wish we've had recent drafts like the 49ers.
    Mays may have been the best S athlete I had ever seen. He was amazing to watch work out. He had a great up side he just couldn't play worth a damn. Not many GMs looked great in 09. That 07 draft is as good as it gets though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mogglez View Post
    Not one of the picks you mentioned were questionable. Smith was widely believed to be the first pick and no one really questioned it too much. Baas was ok not great. AJ jenkins has only played one year how the hell is a bust? Coffee was a talented back and abruptly retired for weird reasons. He missed on Balmer but hit on Josh Morgan that draft in the later rounds. Taylor Mays was another talanted player he took a chance on and was serviceable the one season he was there. He also took Navorro Bowman that same year whose better than any LB we have.

Oh please. If Tannebaum made those same picks (the ones I bolded) at those same spots, he would have been crucified by Jets fans here.