Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ground & Pound, one thing I want from the new NY Jets is...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    And how many of these QBs have won anything this decade? The rapist has won two and aside from the first one where he was terrible, he led a pass happy offense the second time with a ton of receivers.
    Well this decade is only about 3 years old...

My point is that given the choice I take a franchise QB every time... You can still have a championship team without one or compete for a Superbowl without one... Either Manning, Luck, the class of 83... If that is what the draft looks like I am all in on going the franchise route. Those kind of can't miss prospects are not available right now. Don't set the franchise back by taking a flyer on those guys coming out this year in the first round. That is one you focus on Defense and a running game! Trade for Flynn, sign Moore or another free agent. Don't mortgage the future for complete crapshoot.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    ...to leave this in the dust

Anyone who watched yesterday's awful playoff games can plainly see that in today's NFL you have to throw the ball. Look at Minnesota owner's an all world RB who ran extremely well and a QB that has no right being in the league (where were the stats and talk of his horrendous play last night, if that had been Sanchez lol).

Think back to the most successful NY Jet teams, early Namath hurling bombs, O'Brien outdueling Marino in aerial shows, Testaverde shredding D's. Sanchez led trips to Championship games were more a function of parity than good offenses imho and it's time to try another way.

If for no other reason than for the fan's, who has a ridiculously high vested interest in their team today, entertainment put this G&P nonsense to sleep, forever.

thanks for listening
    You will need a new Head Coach to make your wish come true. It'll take at least another year, maybe more.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    We need a QB before we can leave "ground and pound" in the dust.

Draft Mike Glennon

I don't care if it's a slight reach in Round 1.

If the kid pans out, no one will give a sh*t where we drafted him.
    When he doesn't, people will.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    What Paul Hackett did was coached to the strength of his starting QB. It didn't sit well with Jet fans,but i was masterfull. Why force a QB with suspect arm strength to consistantly throw the ball into coverage on 3rd and long just to apease the fan base. He took shots at opportune times,and for the most part they worked.
    Hacket was 10X times the OC of either Sprags or Schotty.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    How sad is that!!!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Draft Mike Glennon

I want this kid! Just now way I would draft him in the top 20... We may be in very good position to take him in the second round! Might even be able to trade back in the 2nd and still get him...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    We're not doing much of anything without addressing the offensive line issues.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Draft Mike Glennon

I don't get it with u. We had a chance to draft a franchise QB from a low level school who proved it was him that took the school to the level it was but u preferred to draft a skinny LT who couldn't run block. Now U want to Draft a Questionable QB when you have the chance to draft a stud OLman who is a much more needed player and Better player available .

If we draft this Kid, who is going to keep him from getting killed.

The Best QB in this draft for the Jets is Zack Dysert. He's big, accurate, has a big enough arm, enough experience, athletic and played in Ohio in a cold weather climate .
    Last edited by Tinstar; 01-06-2013 at 01:03 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Only a few of us understand this.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The run does not set up the pass. If you are running successfully against your opponent then you can catch them off guard by passing. The pass does not set up the run. If you are passing successfully against your opponent then you can catch them off guard by running.

The point is to be well balanced and not one dimensional. This is what we lack and it is what we need. Almost all successful offenses are well balanced. There are a few exceptions such as teams with superstars like Adrian Peterson or Peyton Manning. They can carry the offense by themselves but they are the exception, not the rule.

Less ground and pound and more balance is the ticket to a good offense.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've always felt that during the regular season, with an unbalanced offense, a team can get away being that way, if they are very good at either pass or run. Of course with good QB play. But come playoff time...those are the kind of good offensive teams that are most vulnerable.

Good defenses take away what you do best in the playoffs. And try to make the opponent beat them with what they're weakest at on offense. Any defense that can effectively execute this game plan, has a chance to win that game.

In 2009-10 playoffs...Jets had an ordinary offense. It could run effectively... and was able to make enough plays in the passing game, to allow Jets to get a win. But it was the Rex defenses that made it possible to compile a 4-2 playoff record. And have those two AFCCG appearances. In 2009, it slowed down Rivers and the Chargers potent passing game. In 2010...it held an offense that relies on Peyton Manning's arm to just 16 points. It got a rare interception on Tom Brady, and for most of the game, kept the prolific passing game in check. And got ahead 28-14 before Brady made it a final 28-21 score.

Lets face it...because of favorable rules...it's the QB and the passing game that has become the obsession in the league. In 2011 when Trent Dilfer interviewed both Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. He asked them who was the team they least wanted to meet in the playoffs. Both said the Jets. Cause Rex confuses them both the most. With his pass rush and simulated blitz schemes. And with his coverages and simulated coverages.

IMO...a balanced attack with a good QB operating it, is the ideal. Especially for the playoffs. Cause a defense can't easily shut down and deny everything. But obviously this is not easy to put together, when you have CAP limitations, that force GMs to make tough decisions...in acquiring and maintaining talent.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    I want this kid! Just now way I would draft him in the top 20... We may be in very good position to take him in the second round! Might even be able to trade back in the 2nd and still get him...
    Glennon will rise into the Top 20 by the time the draft rolls around.

Big bodied, big armed QB's with immense potential always do.

It happened with Cutler. It happened with Flacco. It happened with Freeman.

It will happen with Glennon.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't get it with u. We had a chance to draft a franchise QB from a low level school who proved it was him that took the school to the level it was but u preferred to draft a skinny LT who couldn't run block. Now U want to Draft a Questionable QB when you have the chance to draft a stud OLman who is a much more needed player and Better player available .

If we draft this Kid, who is going to keep him from getting killed.

The Best QB in this draft for the Jets is Zack Dysert. He's big, accurate, has a big enough arm, enough experience, athletic and played in Ohio in a cold weather climate .
    I don't get it with you.

You want to trade a franchise LT who, next to Joe Thomas, is arguably the best passblocker in the business and replace him with an unproven rookie.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    G&P got us pretty damn close to the SB

Rex' team will win defense first, playing a conservative game

I love winning ugly

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Who did we have as QB's after the 1997 season?? 7th rd pick Glen Foley and 3rd pick Neil O'Donnell.. The Tuna hated O'Donnell and got rid of him and signed Vinny for the 98 camp to compete with Foley.. Foley starts gets replaced by Vinny and the rest is history.. It's to early to whine about what we have until at least camp starts or as Revis fans call it.. Holdout time..
    I'm talking about NOW, not months down the road. We don't have crystal balls to look into. Also, we all know that our HC favors a ground and pound type attack.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Blast View Post
    The run does not set up the pass. If you are running successfully against your opponent then you can catch them off guard by passing. The pass does not set up the run. If you are passing successfully against your opponent then you can catch them off guard by running.

The point is to be well balanced and not one dimensional. This is what we lack and it is what we need. Almost all successful offenses are well balanced. There are a few exceptions such as teams with superstars like Adrian Peterson or Peyton Manning. They can carry the offense by themselves but they are the exception, not the rule.

Less ground and pound and more balance is the ticket to a good offense.
    You've got to be kidding me. Peterson proved how useless he was last night when Rodgers put his team up by three touchdowns.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    You also have Rex often mentioning the BS that

"Up here in the Northeast, you need the running game for the cold winter and tough weather".

I've written before on what utter nonsense this is.

A) Perhaps one game every two years for teams in the NE or N take place in weather than you could call "exceptionally bad".

B) I've never seen evidence the passing game noticably suffers. See: Tom Brady 5 touchowns in ONE QUARTER IN A BLIZZARD appx 3 years ago.

C) How's that working out for Pittsburgh, New England, Green Bay...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glennon will rise into the Top 20 by the time the draft rolls around.

Big bodied, big armed QB's with immense potential always do.

It happened with Cutler. It happened with Flacco. It happened with Freeman.

It will happen with Glennon.
    I used a 2012 draft value chart. And said what if Jets had an offer to trade out of the #9 spot, and land somewhere around #18-22.

Here's a possible scenario if Jets swap 1st rounders with a team at the 20th spot...

#9 chart draft value = 1350

draft values received for the swap

#20 pick = 850
    2nd round = 380
    4th round = 62
    5th round = 32
    6th round = 19
    7th round = 7

Total value = 1350!!!

Jets could pick Glennon at #20. Then have a boatload of picks to stock young talent on this team.

This is not likely to happen. But I would do cartwheels if Jets were offered this kind of trade. And Gamble moves down to the 20th spot, and takes the picks.

Here's the 2012 draft value chart...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't get it with you.

You want to trade a franchise LT who, next to Joe Thomas, is arguably the best passblocker in the business and replace him with an unproven rookie.
    Yes i do, and u and other should stop mentioning brick in the same breath as players like joe thomas. Brick can't run block at the POA, never could and never will. Thomas can, always have and still does and he's a solid Pass protector also.

Why should i wait until this Player has no value to move him when i can move him now and improve the team in a year when there 're so many solid OLmen in the 1st round who are younger, can run and pass block and will be cheaper for the next 4-5 yrs.

Brick is not Untoucheable, even if half this board thinks he is. He was on that OL that everyone around here says doesn't give that bum Sanchez enough time to scan the field. Our team doesn't have a QB and our HC wants to run the ball, so what good does a Pass blocking LT who's costing us tons against the cap,can't run block and aging get us.

Let me tell u what, a 1st round pick from the bears so we can either use it on an OLBer we desperately need or another young Cheap OLman for the next 4-5 yrs and build our OL. When will this Franchise or it's fans ever get proactive instead of always reacting. When will this Franchise ever move players 1 yr before instead of 1 yr after. When will this franchise stop over paying for quality players instead of star plays.

Brick Ferguson is a Quality player, not a star. Revis is a star, and i wanna trade him also.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes i do, and u and other should stop mentioning brick in the same breath as players like joe thomas. Brick can't run block at the POA, never could and never will. Thomas can, always have and still does and he's a solid Pass protector also.

Why should i wait until this Player has no value to move him when i can move him now and improve the team in a year when there 're so many solid OLmen in the 1st round who are younger, can run and pass block and will be cheaper for the next 4-5 yrs.

Brick is not Untoucheable, even if half this board thinks he is. He was on that OL that everyone around here says doesn't give that bum Sanchez enough time to scan the field. Our team doesn't have a QB and our HC wants to run the ball, so what good does a Pass blocking LT who's costing us tons against the cap,can't run block and aging get us.

Let me tell u what, a 1st round pick from the bears so we can either use it on an OLBer we desperately need or another young Cheap OLman for the next 4-5 yrs and build our OL. When will this Franchise or it's fans ever get proactive instead of always reacting. When will this Franchise ever move players 1 yr before instead of 1 yr after. When will this franchise stop over paying for quality players instead of star plays.

Brick Ferguson is a Quality player, not a star. Revis is a star, and i wanna trade him also.
    I can't even begin to tell you how retarded this plan is.

I guarantee you're the only one on this entire board who would approve of it.