Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ground & Pound, one thing I want from the new NY Jets is...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Ground & Pound, one thing I want from the new NY Jets is...

...to leave this in the dust

Anyone who watched yesterday's awful playoff games can plainly see that in today's NFL you have to throw the ball. Look at Minnesota owner's an all world RB who ran extremely well and a QB that has no right being in the league (where were the stats and talk of his horrendous play last night, if that had been Sanchez lol).

Think back to the most successful NY Jet teams, early Namath hurling bombs, O'Brien outdueling Marino in aerial shows, Testaverde shredding D's. Sanchez led trips to Championship games were more a function of parity than good offenses imho and it's time to try another way.

If for no other reason than for the fan's, who has a ridiculously high vested interest in their team today, entertainment put this G&P nonsense to sleep, forever.

thanks for listening

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    ...to fire, on this warmish Winter's morn, the Jet head coach who employs this mantra and philosophy.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are more "run oriented" or balanced offensive teams in the playoffs than there are pass heavy teams.

A good running game can still be the catalyst of a good offense, but if you don't have a capable QB to keep things balanced, that's where the problems come.

And to base a statement off of the Vikings with their backup QB is pretty short sighted.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    There are more "run oriented" or balanced offensive teams in the playoffs than there are pass heavy teams.

A good running game can still be the catalyst of a good offense, but if you don't have a capable QB to keep things balanced, that's where the problems come.

And to base a statement off of the Vikings with their backup QB is pretty short sighted.
    This. There are plenty of teams that are what you could call "ground & pound" that are successful. Ravens, 9ers, Seahawks, etc. The difference is that those teams have good QB play (usually) and so they just say they run the ball well. It's the ones like us who have some jagoff behind center that call themselves "ground & pound".

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not basing a statement off the hack that played yesterday I'm basing it off the history of the NY Jets...passing wins in this league game managers don't win Championships, aside from Dilfer. Also I didn't say abandon the run I want a stretch the field attacking offense, today's Jets cannot come back from being down 10 points.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    ...to leave this in the dust

Anyone who watched yesterday's awful playoff games can plainly see that in today's NFL you have to throw the ball. Look at Minnesota owner's an all world RB who ran extremely well and a QB that has no right being in the league (where were the stats and talk of his horrendous play last night, if that had been Sanchez lol).

Think back to the most successful NY Jet teams, early Namath hurling bombs, O'Brien outdueling Marino in aerial shows, Testaverde shredding D's. Sanchez led trips to Championship games were more a function of parity than good offenses imho and it's time to try another way.

If for no other reason than for the fan's, who has a ridiculously high vested interest in their team today, entertainment put this G&P nonsense to sleep, forever.

thanks for listening
    Amen.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

This.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets offense has been too boring to say the least.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know Rex loves the term ground and pound cause it sounds like smashmouth football but I think he'd be more than satisfied with a well balanced run/pass attack. I wince when I hear Rex talk to the media about ground and pound but in the end that's just Rex being Rex.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's great to want, but who is going to run this offense u speak of. Until that player is found, the best way to win when u have no QB is to run thew ball, play field position and complete short passes that move the chains.

Football is still and will always be about blocking and tackling. A seal here and a kick out there and run the ball in the alley created between the 2.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    It's great to want, but who is going to run this offense u speak of. Until that player is found, the best way to win when u have no QB is to run thew ball, play field position and complete short passes that move the chains.

Football is still and will always be about blocking and tackling. A seal here and a kick out there and run the ball in the alley created between the 2.
    well we already know a change has to come at QB...

If the Jets go back to what they have been doing for the past couple of years what is the point of firing anyone or looking to improve? I will not sign up to support any of the **** I've been witnessing of late again.

btw, fellas I'm not talking about the Darryl Lamonica mad bomber days here, just a grown up offense.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for listening
    +1000

Today's NFL is all about throwing the ball all over the defense. Let the pass open up the run, not the other way around. Just look at the Giants, Packers, Patriots, Saints, Colts, Steelers, Cardinals, just about every team that made it to the Super Bowl in the last 10 years.

Now, for the sad news: Rex Ryan is still our head coach. Talk to me about this fantasy of an aerial attack a year from now when he's fired. Then, give it two years to get built. We'll be the throwing the ball all over the place in 2016.

SAR I

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the Better running teams are set up by the pass. NE is on of the top running teams in the league this year. It's not because they are any elite RBs. Cincy's running game was predicated on Green, Gresham, and company threatening down the field. Yes Seattle is a run first team but they still have plenty of down field weapons. In fact, With the exception of Min, every other team in the playoffs can stretch the field offensively.

The league rules dictate a passing offense. If we want to keep giving us a disadvantage during the regular season, then let's keep our archaic 3 yards and a cloud of dust philosophy that went out in the 1970s.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think its a misconception that Rex truly wants Ground and Pound.

Rex is forced into having Ground and Pound because of our deficiencies at the QB position. They constantly tried to force more and more responsibilities on Sanchez and he failed every time, which is why they had to keep going back to the Ground and Pound.

I think if it was up to Rex he would prefer a real balanced attack, problem is we need a QB capable of doing that.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    The league rules dictate a passing offense. If we want to keep giving us a disadvantage during the regular season, then let's keep our archaic 3 yards and a cloud of dust philosophy that went out in the 1970s.
    exactly, the league is designed to stretch the field today...hands off the QB, interference penalties on every other deep throw, no contact with WR's, etc.

The way the Jets staff is built right now if laughable, a QB coach whose QB's get worse every year, a WR coach who can't teach players to release from the LOS, and a playcaller that seems to be involved in a game not taking place on the field.

HELP!

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    It's not a misconception. It is everything he has ever said, repeatedly, for 4 years.

THAT said, he is a habitual liar, so maybe you are right.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Rex is forced into having Ground and Pound because of our deficiencies at the QB position. They constantly tried to force more and more responsibilities on Sanchez and he failed every time, which is why they had to keep going back to the Ground and Pound.

I think if it was up to Rex he would prefer a real balanced attack, problem is we need a QB capable of doing that.
    Football has not change . You throw to get the lead and u run to win the game.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

There it is and the HC can't get a D strong enough to fix that

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    well we already know a change has to come at QB...

If the Jets go back to what they have been doing for the past couple of years what is the point of firing anyone or looking to improve? I will not sign up to support any of the **** I've been witnessing of late again.

btw, fellas I'm not talking about the Darryl Lamonica mad bomber days here, just a grown up offense.
    We tried running a grown up offense with Sanchez, but he failed remedial reading. I have no problem with the type of offense the Jets ran under Paul Hackett when Herman Edwards was the HC. What i would like is a QB like Pennington with a little stronger arm and the ability to stay on the field.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    We tried running a grown up offense with Sanchez, but he failed remedial reading. I have no problem with the type of offense the Jets ran under Paul Hackett when Herman Edwards was the HC. What i would like is a QB like Pennington with a little stronger arm and the ability to stay on the field.
    Chad Pennington was a rare player ruined by injury, the fact that he was such polarizing a player here at JI means he will never get his due. That being said Paul Hacker sucked worse than Shotty imho, I never want to see a coach like that again.

"it's ok we'll just kick." - Paul Hacker

"no thanks." - jetswin