Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Ground & Pound, one thing I want from the new NY Jets is...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Who cares about what worked back in 1972?

The game has completely changed since then.

And even when Czonka and Morris were pounding the hell out of everyone on the ground, the Phins still had Griese at QB.
    Why the attitude, pal. I'm just saying that was the best ground and pound team of all time.
    Griese hardly through the ball.

Did you ever see Csonka run ? He would get 5 yds every play with 2 guys hanging on. A young Czonka would still carry a team today.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    Dude if i could find a way, Brick, Sanchez, Holmes, Revis and all the other dead weight on this team would be playing somewhere else next yr. Just so you know, I like the talent of Revis and Brick, but i am more interested in building a team, not putting money in people's pockets.
    IMO...the so called core of Jets players are for the most part...not living up to their CAP value. And something definitely needs to be done about this trend. And moving forward with a new GM...I expect to see players that will be casualties of the rebuilding process. Losing popular players that many Jets fans like. But it has to be done.

I don't know what the rebuilding plans Gamble may have in mind. But he's going to have to make tough decisions. And fans are not gonna like some of his moves for sure.

I said after the 49ers embarassment...to just blow the whole damn thing up. And I meant it. I'll support the new GM in doing just that. Maybe I'll have to wince at some of the things he does. But if he has a plan...and it's working...I don't care. I want CAP value accountability from the so-called core players. And with a new GM...that's what I expect to see happen. Show some of these guys coasting on cushy contracts the door...and the rest should get the message.

Do it!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I agree with trading Revis, there's just no way we're getting a 1st round pick for him.

I'd take a 2nd and be perfectly content.

Hell, I'd give strong consideration to shipping him for a high 3rd.
    You're almost there UT, just 1 more step and i guarantee u will see daylight.. Atleast i think it's daylight, cause someone could be holding a flashlight.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post
    IMO...the so called core of Jets players are for the most part...not living up to their CAP value. And something definitely needs to be done about this trend. And moving forward with a new GM...I expect to see players that will be casualties of the rebuilding process. Losing popular players that many Jets fans like. But it has to be done.

I don't know what the rebuilding plans Gamble may have in mind. But he's going to have to make tough decisions. And fans are not gonna like some of his moves for sure.

I said after the 49ers embarassment...to just blow the whole damn thing up. And I meant it. I'll support the new GM in doing just that. Maybe I'll have to wince at some of the things he does. But if he has a plan...and it's working...I don't care. I want CAP value accountability from the so-called core players. And with a new GM...that's what I expect to see happen. Show some of these guys coasting on cushy contracts the door...and the rest should get the message.

Do it!
    Stop that, UT told me nobody would agree with me and i was sold . You and KJ are messing with a perfectly good Lie.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    17-6 Indy needs to step it up a notch. This is going to be fun watching.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    I was around when Miami had Czonka and Hicks for RBs. They were ground and pound and couldn't be stopped. Where are we going to get an OL and RBs like that.

I think the Dolphins were undefeated that year in reg season.
    ?

Jim Kick?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    ?

Jim Kick?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
    Jim Kiick two i's

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    ground and pound would be okay if we actually had personnel to run it. we have no adrian peterson or ray rice, tony richardson, damien woody, etc. our TE's can't even block at all

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Why the attitude, pal. I'm just saying that was the best ground and pound team of all time.
    Griese hardly through the ball.

Did you ever see Csonka run ? He would get 5 yds every play with 2 guys hanging on. A young Czonka would still carry a team today.
    Disagree. Czonka would be pummeled today. the average lineman in 1972 was less than 250 pounds. Today they are more athletic and 310.

There are no great backs that run like Czonka anymore. They all get hurt within 3 years. the great ones cut and run like Sanders and CMart.

I can't think of a BIG back that has lasted more than say 3 to 5 truly productive years in the last say 20 years.
    Last edited by southparkcpa; 01-06-2013 at 03:50 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Disagree. Czonka would be pummeled today. the average lineman in 1972 was less than 250 pounds. Today they are more athletic and 310.

There are no great backs that run like Czonka anymore. They all get hurt within 3 years. the great ones cut and run like Anders and CMart.

I can't think of a BIG back that has lasted more than say 3 to 5 truly productive years in the last say 20 years.
    Okay, you have a point there. Maybe today's version of Czonka would go 275 lbs and run a 4.5 40

Earth, wind and fire was pretty good for the Giant version of ground and pound.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

There are no great backs that run like Czonka anymore. They all get hurt within 3 years. the great ones cut and run like Anders and CMart.

peterson is probably the closest to that, he's 6'2" 215 but plays like one of those bigger backs. the guy's got over 1000 yards after contact this season... absolutely ridiculous stats

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    peterson is probably the closest to that, he's 6'2" 215 but plays like one of those bigger backs. the guy's got over 1000 yards after contact this season... absolutely ridiculous stats
    The best running back I ever watched was Jim Brown. He never fumbled and was a machine. He was never hurt. And he wasn't flashy like Gayle Sayers, Barry Sanders and he was unstoppable.

Adrian Peterson is right up there though.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    I think you missed my point.... Peterson is NOTHING like Czonka. Czonka was a fullback type back. Impressive to watch, he was Morelike Shonne Greene except 10 times better. peterson is ELITE like Sanders, a cut and run back, very Walter Payton like.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Michael Turner and Mike Alstott come to mind..

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    fair.....

Alstott was a beast. Turner is a beast.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Taller than Turner but SJax is a giant among today's RB standard...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    Taller than Turner but SJax is a giant among today's RB standard...
    back on point... He is not hitting the line the way Czonka did. IMO he is a more talented cut type runner.

He could absolutely be the foundation of a ground and pound attack.

How about Bettis. Now THAT guy was ground and pound.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I never bought this team trying to run the ground and pound to be honest. They never built that kind of team. The OL, RBs, WR, and TE where all more localized to run a spread offense. We just never had the QB to make it work. Either way enough with the gimmick nothing beats a bread and butter standard O. Balanced Os over long periods of time just have more success. Unless you find a rare athlete or have a HOF QB don't try anything special. People loved Cam his rookie year but he didn't win any games for Carolina at QB. The few wins they had where games where they didn't do stupid plays with him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    back on point... He is not hitting the line the way Czonka did. IMO he is a more talented cut type runner.

He could absolutely be the foundation of a ground and pound attack.

How about Bettis. Now THAT guy was ground and pound.
    True. Seems like we're only privy to one a decade at this point.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I agree. But I do not think it is going away. I think Gamble's offensive philosophy aligns with Rex's. Just take a look at SF.

We will know right away by who they hire as OC and what personnel moves they make on offense.
    I really don't think Gamble's offensive philosophy has been implemented yet in SF. Baalke, Gamble, and Harbaugh inherited an offense where the only skill position talent was Gore, Davis, and a raw Crabtree.

If you look at the last two drafts, they took Kaepernick last year and took a very raw WR in Jenkins this year. I think if he had his way, we would have a very mobile QB and would implement a form of the pistol in certain situations.

As far as the OC, I think with Rex being on the VERY hot seat, no OC worth a crap is going to come here unless they get a bucket of $. Reasons being, we sign them to a multi-year deal and they are stuck working with whoever the new coach is. Second, with the offense being so limited, with no cap availability and no blue chip prospects on the horizon, pretty good chance the offense holds the Jets back and the OC is to blame when the whole CS gets canned Jan. 2014.