Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Jets to Cut Scott,Pace, Eric Smith and Jason Smith

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    We don't save $12M on Jason Smith. He was only counting $2.45M against the cap. It's irrelevant what he was scheduled to make in 2013 because we weren't keeping him from Day 1 anyway.
    The Cap Value currently stands at around $146mm with those players who are under contract for 2013. Smith counts against that unless we cut him. I believe I read the 2013 Cap is projected to be around $124mm so we have about $4.5mm in carryover from last year and need to cut out around $20mm... Smith will make up $12mm of that. That leaves $8mm to go just to get us in line and does not account for the rookie pool or building our roster back up to full!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    harris is one of the best ilbs in the game. get rid of him and we have no decent lbs. restructure his contract yes get rid of him no.
    For all the talent Harris has, he is the slowest Jet LB I've ever seen in a Jets uniform. If Slo Lewis and he had a foot race... well we'd still be watching it.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    The Cap Value currently stands at around $146mm with those players who are under contract for 2013. Smith counts against that unless we cut him. I believe I read the 2013 Cap is projected to be around $124mm so we have about $4.5mm in carryover from last year and need to cut out around $20mm... Smith will make up $12mm of that. That leaves $8mm to go just to get us in line and does not account for the rookie pool or building our roster back up to full!
    All you're doing is adding Smith's $12M in for 2013. And then deleting it. Status quo.

The Jets had no intention of keeping Smith past 2012.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing surprising there, 4 out of the 5 players we could cut and save 3+ million in cap space (per Jason's site), the other one being Sione Pouha who will probably join them, since you don't want to bet a lot of money on aging players with bad backs. Tebow being traded/cut also would also free up a million and a half.

Harris looks like a prime target for a restructuring.

Still won't be a pretty cap situation, but gonna have to deal with it thanks to Sanchez and Holmes's deals.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    All you're doing is adding Smith's $12M in for 2013. And then deleting it. Status quo.

The Jets had no intention of keeping Smith past 2012.
    Same difference... I just follow Jason's page as it makes it easier for me to figure how many roster spots need to be filled...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Nothing surprising there, 4 out of the 5 players we could cut and save 3+ million in cap space (per Jason's site), the other one being Sione Pouha who will probably join them, since you don't want to bet a lot of money on aging players with bad backs. Tebow being traded/cut also would also free up a million and a half.

Still won't be a pretty cap situation, but gonna have to deal with it thanks to Sanchez and Holmes's deals.
    Harris and Holmes could both have some of their Salary changed to a bonus to and prorate over two years... Jets could give them each $5mm of bonus and spread that hit out over two years. That would save them $5mm on this years cap (2.5mm for each)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Harris and Holmes could both have some of their Salary changed to a bonus to and prorate over two years... Jets could give them each $5mm of bonus and spread that hit out over two years. That would save them $5mm on this years cap (2.5mm for each)
    Well, yeah, thats more or less what I was saying with Harris. Could go even further then that in a restructure, but I guess you want to be careful how high you jack up his 2014 cap number.

You wouldn't want to do that with Holmes considering it makes him harder to cut and we already want him gone. But Harris probably isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Would it be smart to cut all of the trash this year and not have to worry about it in 2014?

Would the Sanchez and Holmes dead money, if cut this year, linger into 2014? If not, just get it over with already.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, yeah, thats more or less what I was saying with Harris. Could go even further then that in a restructure, but I guess you want to be careful how high you jack up his 2014 cap number.

You wouldn't want to do that with Holmes considering it makes him harder to cut and we already want him gone. But Harris probably isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
    It is all tough to figure right now because we really don't know what direction to head in with players until a GM is hired and the coaching staff is either replaced or filled out...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Would it be smart to cut all of the trash this year and not have to worry about it in 2014?

Would the Sanchez and Holmes dead money, if cut this year, linger into 2014? If not, just get it over with already.
    The hit from cutting Sanchez now would be so prohibitive (We'd actually lose 4.3 mil in cap space) that it would negatively effect our ability to do anything else. Can't do that.

June 1st cut is at least an option, but it doesn't help 2014 outlook any, it's basically salary neutral both years.

Still think most likely scenario is an open competition between Sanchez, McElroy, and Draft Pick. And if Draft Pick doesn't win that competition, something went horribly wrong.

Holmes is more or less salary neutral to cut now, you'd only "save" like 1.25 mil, but as much of a pain in the ass he is, he gives the team more then enough value on the football field that it makes more sense to keep him in 2013. IMO.

They'll both be gone in 2014 though.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    The hit from cutting Sanchez now would be so prohibitive (We'd actually lose 4.3 mil in cap space) that it would negatively effect our ability to do anything else. Can't do that.

June 1st cut is at least an option, but it doesn't help 2014 outlook any, it's basically salary neutral both years.

Still think most likely scenario is an open competition between Sanchez, McElroy, and Draft Pick. And if Draft Pick doesn't win that competition, something went horribly wrong.

Holmes is more or less salary neutral to cut now, you'd only "save" like 1.25 mil, but as much of a pain in the ass he is, he gives the team more then enough value on the football field that it makes more sense to keep him in 2013. IMO.

They'll both be gone in 2014 though.
    I would prefer they bring in a veteran QB at a reasonable number and possibly cut McElroy.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Impressive. You could be a capologist.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Too bad the date on the announcement was not January 2012 instead of 2013. We all knew those guys were dogs.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good start. Now cut Pouha.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSuzy View Post
    I almost hope we keep Tebow, too
    i do ope we keep him and the new gm loves him..............

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing we didn't know before and it still doesn't free up any kind of cap space we need to be competitive in 2013, short of an excellent draft with six or seven solid starters. The question should be what are we going to do at CB (Trade Revis? Trade Cromartie? Keep both?) and with David Harris' contract (restructure? release?).

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pace is still here? I though he retired two years ago. Haven't seen him much.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Pace is still here? I though he retired two years ago. Haven't seen him much.
    . Like many of his teammates, only see him on payday.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    . Like many of his teammates, only see him on payday.
    Pace, what a JAG. Glad we're finally cleaning out some of the dead wood. But I won't believe Smith is gone until I see him with another team.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Pace, what a JAG. Glad we're finally cleaning out some of the dead wood. But I won't believe Smith is gone until I see him with another team.
    I'll tell ya, Jason Smith must really be bad. He couldn't even get into a rotation to share snaps with Howard, like Vlad did with Slauson. I guess he was the Ram's Gholston. Sadly, every team has one those, I guess.