Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets to Cut Scott,Pace, Eric Smith and Jason Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    Cut Tebow and Pouha for another savings of $5.3 million.
    I haven't seen enough from Ellis to cut Pouha. He's worth another year to see if his back can hold up.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    I think he'd be cool with reworking his deal. He;s definitely going to be asked to
    I think you could see them re-work Dbrick's deal, turning some of his $7.2 million salary this year into a bonus. I think they will either try to extend or trade cromartie to save more money. There are a lot of things the Jets could do to get sufficiently enough under the salary cap in order to turn this roster over like the Colts did.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Cutting Bart Scott?

Woo-hoo! Rex Ryan is getting fired!

SAR I

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    I haven't seen enough from Ellis to cut Pouha. He's worth another year to see if his back can hold up.
    You have to remember that Pouha is old and heavy, backs don't usually get better the older you get. And when you are as salary cap strapped as the Jets are then saving $3.8 million on a older NT with back problems is a good idea. You can't "wait and see" if his back will hold up. You have to be pro-active. Plus with the likely switch to more of a 4-3 the need for a NT on this team is becoming less and less important. Especially a NT who has no pass rushing skills what so ever. And you may see Coples and/or Wilkerson play more DT next year especially if we bring in one of the top DE/OLB from this years draft. You can not take a wait and see approach when you don't have a lot of money to spend.

All League
    About freaking time

just reading over nyjetscap.com for next season's cap numbers. good stuff.

The Pats have 3 guys (Brady 21.8 mill, Wilfork 10.6 and Mankins 10 mill) who count 10+ million toward the 2013 cap. Next highest is Mayo at 5.6 and Lloyd and Hernandez count a little more than 4 million against the cap. That is 6 guys who count at least 4 million against the 2013 cap. The rest of the players will count less than 3.5 mill.

The Jets have 11 players who will count at least 6.1 million vs. the cap in 2013. That includes 7 (Harris, Sanchez, Holmes, Smith, Pace, Cro, Brick) who will count at least 10 million (Smith and Pace are likely gone, so when they are cut it will be 5). And Mangold and Revis will count about 9 mill each toward the cap. Bart (8.65, but likely gone) and Pouha (6.16) round out the 11. The rest of the Jets are 3 million and under.

Bills have 2 guys (Fitz, Mario) who will count 10+ million.

Dolphins have 1 (jake long, who could be on his way out).

Of course, there can be restructures and cuts, so we'll see what happens. But the Jets sure are top-heavy when it comes to contracts for next season.

...guess I am bored at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by PrivateJoker6 View Post
    The Jets are expected to release OLB Calvin Pace, ILB Bart Scott, OT Jason Smith, and S Eric Smith as soon as the waiver period opens in February.
    Pace has been one of the least productive pass rushers in the league over the past three seasons. The moves will save $8.56 million on Pace, $7.15 million on Scott, $12 million on Jason Smith, and $3 million on Eric Smith while accounting for just $4.5 million in dead money. The Jets will have still little cap space with just 10 starters under contract.

Per Rotoworld
    That's all you need to know on how bare the cupboard is. Make big cuts...and the CAP is still a mess for putting together the 2013 roster.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

with the strong possibility of 3 new starting LB's (Scott, Pace, Thomas) I think keeping Pouha around to solidify the middle is not such a bad idea

Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    You have to remember that Pouha is old and heavy, backs don't usually get better the older you get. And when you are as salary cap strapped as the Jets are then saving $3.8 million on a older NT with back problems is a good idea. You can't "wait and see" if his back will hold up. You have to be pro-active. Plus with the likely switch to more of a 4-3 the need for a NT on this team is becoming less and less important. Especially a NT who has no pass rushing skills what so ever. And you may see Coples and/or Wilkerson play more DT next year especially if we bring in one of the top DE/OLB from this years draft. You can not take a wait and see approach when you don't have a lot of money to spend.
    I'd agree only if you're positive we can't contend next year, which is a real concern depending on who QBs the team...

By some miracle if we can dump Sanchez, Ryan stays, etc... It's not like the 3-4 is going away completely.

Quote Originally Posted by vinniekt View Post
    Also please trade David Harris $12 million, I like him but severely overpaid at that price.
    Craziness. He will return to form with these cuts. He won't have to cover the entire field anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    Craziness. He will return to form with these cuts. He won't have to cover the entire field anymore.

Was thinking the same thing. Very dissapointed in Harris this year, but I think alot of his problems could be traced to having terrible LBers surrounding him. Harris is not a superstar, he needs some help and guys like Scott/Pace/Thomas were just flat out pathetic at this stage of their careers.

Hopefully Demario Davis breaks-through this season.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Eric Smith shouldn't have been on the team this year.

If Tanny didn't restructure Scott's deal he would have been gone by now.
    But that Rex's guy.

Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    Who says? The new GM?
    I was thinking the same exact thing...

All Pro
    Jason Smith#78 was the only one I didnt put on the list of causalties cut. our new GM is going to get rid of Sanchez as soon as he gets on board.

let us not forget that the cap room saved by cutting these players, plus the compensatory picks the Jets will be sure to get by allowing most of the free agents to walk, sets us up for a very promising 2014 offseason with a lot of cap room (inherent, especially with Sanchez gone + roll-over) and draft picks.

Holmes

Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    By that measure, we might as well lock this thread, and most threads that are started relating to free agency, cuts, trades etc etc.
    I don't like Holmes either, but at least he can be productive, that would be throwing money away. Pace, scott, there done,Sanchez, well, you know about that.addition, by subtraction

Quote Originally Posted by vinniekt View Post
    Also please trade David Harris $12 million, I like him but severely overpaid at that price.
    harris is one of the best ilbs in the game. get rid of him and we have no decent lbs. restructure his contract yes get rid of him no.

4 down, 49 to go! Okay, more like 30 or 25 if that's still too unrealistic.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Cutting Bart Scott?

Woo-hoo! Rex Ryan is getting fired!

SAR I

I almost hope we keep Rex, just out of spite.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    I almost hope we keep Rex, just out of spite.
    I almost hope we keep Tebow, too