Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should the Jets target Joe Flacco in FA?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyStylez View Post
    Thread is not a fail just because you think it is.

Someone here mentioned Matt Flynn. I would take him in a heartbeat. Seattle would have to take on Sanchez's contract, and I don't think they would do that unless the Jets seriously sweetened the deal. But I would take Flynn. He's proven he can play in this league. Red flags are his small sample size and his inability to beat out a rookie (although Wilson has showed himself to be one hell of a rookie). But he's better than what we have now.
    Based on what exactly? That one meaningless game he started? He hasnt proven s**t in this league, except he couldnt beat out Wilson as starter. Not to mention the guy is already signed to a contract that far exceeds his value. Just because he may be better than Sanchez (which isnt saying much at this point), doesnt mean the Jets need to panic and trade for a guy who has done nothing in this league thus far.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    They're gonna Franchise Tag Flacco by just about every account. Not really an option anyways.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah lets get joe flacco aka Mark Sanchez who can throw the ball a little bit further. No thanks. Flacco has been in the same situation for the past 5 years that sanchez was in during his first 2. without a running game and top defense, Flacco would look like a turd swirling down the toilet bowl, just like how sanchez looked these past 2 seasons.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    They're gonna Franchise Tag Flacco by just about every account. Not really an option anyways.
    Thanks. I was running to get a tattoo of Rex's wife in Flacco jersey, you stopped me at the door.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Based on what exactly? That one meaningless game he started? He hasnt proven s**t in this league, except he couldnt beat out Wilson as starter. Not to mention the guy is already signed to a contract that far exceeds his value. Just because he may be better than Sanchez (which isnt saying much at this point), doesnt mean the Jets need to panic and trade for a guy who has done nothing in this league thus far.
    In two games he played better than Sanchez ever has in four years. Garbage QB's don't throw 6 TD passes in a game, nor do they go toe to toe with Tom Brady in Foxboro, so it's clear the guy has some skills. Obviously it's a small sample size, but is trading for Flynn any less risky than a rookie QB (whom I think the Jets should and will draft this year). Too many of you guys want a Brady/Manning/Bress type of QB. So do I, but those guys are hard to find. So you trade for a an experienced QB, draft another one and go from there. Also, Flynn losing out to Wilson doesn't look so bad now considering how good Wilson has played. Trading for Flynn is not panic, it's upgrading the QB position.

BTW Warfish, you think Seattle wants to keep a guy who is going to be clearly unhappy about being there? Think they want that distraction, not to mention paying huge money to a back up? Trading him and getting someone else who will readily accept the back up role is not such a far fetched idea. If the Jets work out a deal where they pay half of Sanchez's salary, maybe they go for it. Come up with a better idea if you have one.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    WHOA.

Too deep for a Monday morning.
    True, but at the very least, GJ and H's life was effected in a profound way the moment he went off on fish and got himself banned for life here. Now, the interactions that he could've had with other posters here never will happen, thus, in some small way, altering the course of everybody's life on here (could be for the better or worse). If only he had run a thread title by fish before hand and hadn't exploded, the history of the world would look a lot different today. That's jmhot

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetfan16 View Post
    True, but at the very least, GJ and H's life was effected in a profound way the moment he went off on fish and got himself banned for life here. Now, the interactions that he could've had with other posters here never will happen, thus, in some small way, altering the course of everybody's life on here (could be for the better or worse). If only he had run a thread title by fish before hand and hadn't exploded, the history of the world would look a lot different today. That's jmhot
    Now that you expound a little more it does resonate.

I wonder what the world would look like.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now that you expound a little more it does resonate.

I wonder what the world would look like.
    What is your opinion on what a reasonable tip would be for a pizza delivery person (expressed as a percentage)?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Did you see

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Did you see that Monday night game sir.He made every throw that an NFL quarterback needs to make to run a quality passing offense. He's also mobile, and was taught very well by the staff in Green Bay. He might not be the answer, but we know Sanchez isn't. For you to suggest that he has no skills to be a winning QB, is just wrong

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetfan16 View Post
    What is your opinion on what a reasonable tip would be for a pizza delivery person (expressed as a percentage)?
    Lets Talk Football!

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    sanchez has gone toe to toe with Brady in foxboro plenty of times, including outplaying him in the playoffs there. Sanchez had a really bad year, but the team also had a herrendous year, and he had absolutely zero to work with. i dont see the improvement that i wish was occurring, but you are right, he is never going to be a brady or manning, ny fans need to realize this, and just accept he can be very good with the right weapons around him, he has proven this (remember he not only beat but outplayed manning, rivers, brady and palmer, all on the road, and all in his first two years, in the playoffs).

i see the horrible decisions Tannenbaum made as a GM that correlated to sanchez' demise - we had a leading NFL rusher in Thomas Jones and dumped him, two great weapons in Braylon and Cotchery that were Sanchez' go-to guys, we dumped them and brought on Derrick Mason and Plax Burress. We dumped Burress after one year after him getting some rappor with Sanchez, and bring in Chaz Schillens. We dump Brad Smith and Leon Washington - 2 HUGE playmakers vital to our two AFC championship runs that helped Sanchez - we bring in Kerley and Joe McKnight. We give Sanchez a nice contract boost, then the following week trade for Tebow. Total mess.

Sanchez is a small problem in my opinion, we have a lot bigger problems to deal with, but i also recognize that the NY media is what it is - Eli and Coughlin's heads were about to be chopped too in year 4 before a magical run in the playoffs. Im not predicting we win a SB with Sanchez, but Im a proponent for solving the critical problems first and not being the fairweather NFL fantasy fan where "QB means everything" - it means A LOT, but not everything, especially if you have a good team around him.

Sanchez can be a good QB and we need to build around him - thats not to say im against bringing in a Flynn or Cousins to compete with him in training camp, but for people to say these guys "are an upgrade" is just something i cannot comprehend - these guys have thrown like 30 passes in their careers, vs. somebody with 4 rd playoff wins in 4 years, how can anyone say that?

In two games he played better than Sanchez ever has in four years. Garbage QB's don't throw 6 TD passes in a game, nor do they go toe to toe with Tom Brady in Foxboro, so it's clear the guy has some skills. Obviously it's a small sample size, but is trading for Flynn any less risky than a rookie QB (whom I think the Jets should and will draft this year). Too many of you guys want a Brady/Manning/Bress type of QB. So do I, but those guys are hard to find. So you trade for a an experienced QB, draft another one and go from there. Also, Flynn losing out to Wilson doesn't look so bad now considering how good Wilson has played. Trading for Flynn is not panic, it's upgrading the QB position.

BTW Warfish, you think Seattle wants to keep a guy who is going to be clearly unhappy about being there? Think they want that distraction, not to mention paying huge money to a back up? Trading him and getting someone else who will readily accept the back up role is not such a far fetched idea. If the Jets work out a deal where they pay half of Sanchez's salary, maybe they go for it. Come up with a better idea if you have one.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetItalia View Post
    sanchez has gone toe to toe with Brady in foxboro plenty of times, including outplaying him in the playoffs there. Sanchez had a really bad year, but the team also had a herrendous year, and he had absolutely zero to work with. i dont see the improvement that i wish was occurring, but you are right, he is never going to be a brady or manning, ny fans need to realize this, and just accept he can be very good with the right weapons around him, he has proven this (remember he not only beat but outplayed manning, rivers, brady and palmer, all on the road, and all in his first two years, in the playoffs).

i see the horrible decisions Tannenbaum made as a GM that correlated to sanchez' demise - we had a leading NFL rusher in Thomas Jones and dumped him, two great weapons in Braylon and Cotchery that were Sanchez' go-to guys, we dumped them and brought on Derrick Mason and Plax Burress. We dumped Burress after one year after him getting some rappor with Sanchez, and bring in Chaz Schillens. We dump Brad Smith and Leon Washington - 2 HUGE playmakers vital to our two AFC championship runs that helped Sanchez - we bring in Kerley and Joe McKnight. We give Sanchez a nice contract boost, then the following week trade for Tebow. Total mess.

Sanchez is a small problem in my opinion, we have a lot bigger problems to deal with, but i also recognize that the NY media is what it is - Eli and Coughlin's heads were about to be chopped too in year 4 before a magical run in the playoffs. Im not predicting we win a SB with Sanchez, but Im a proponent for solving the critical problems first and not being the fairweather NFL fantasy fan where "QB means everything" - it means A LOT, but not everything, especially if you have a good team around him.

Sanchez can be a good QB and we need to build around him - thats not to say im against bringing in a Flynn or Cousins to compete with him in training camp, but for people to say these guys "are an upgrade" is just something i cannot comprehend - these guys have thrown like 30 passes in their careers, vs. somebody with 4 rd playoff wins in 4 years, how can anyone say that?
    Coughlin and Eli were not ready to be axed. just because the media has a talking point does not make it a real possibility.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    every fairweather instant gratification NY fan and media hated them both and said "these are not the franchise guys to lead us to the promised land." And that was 4 years in, right before the magical playoff run (that as we can see, can happen to any team that hits lightning in a bottle). These are typical NY fans (who now say "no, I always knew Eli and Tom were great" - yeah right), and I am not one of them. If Sanchez is good next year and we go deep in the playoffs again, I dont want to hear that same typical NY fancrap yet again, but we will of course and everyone will say "well it just needed time", yeah the same dudes who booed him for McElroy....

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Coughlin and Eli were not ready to be axed. just because the media has a talking point does not make it a real possibility.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    You're right. I'm just a dude with an opinion.

The thread is fail because, as has been pointed out, it's absolutely 100% unrealistic for a wide variety of reasons.

I'm all for a new QB, obviously. But if we're going to discuss it, we should at least attempt to remain in the realm of reality.

Flacco as a Jet in 2013 is fantasy, pure and simple.
    Flacco is a 59% passer with a 22 TD/10 INT line. Is it out of the question he could hit the market without the tag? Odds are definitely low, but Baltimore is not known for overpaying. My feeling is Baltimore, with Flacco, is good enough to dance but will never reach the promised land. Too hit or miss with that long passing game. I like his nerve, but not his touch....and his lack of mobility makes connecting on those long bombs too unreliable. I would definitely tag him but pass on top 5 long term coin if that's what he demands. That's money taken away from improving the rest of the roster to pay a guy that needs assets to make him better.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

We got holes in the OL to fix and need a playmaker RB

I'm ok with trading down and getting more picks, although if a stud pass rushing OLB is sitting there at #9, that would be hard to pass up. But this teams has holes, and getting more picks will help fix that.

A better OC, better QB and faster players on D can put this team back unto the playoffs.
    A whole lotta holes to fill before we go to the play offs. Also need to clarify our WR picture. And our TE has to be very very good.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetItalia View Post

Sanchez is a career 55% passer in 62 games. Clinging on to a couple nice efforts vs the division rival doesn't change the fact that he is a career 55% passer. 68 TDs vs 69 INTs in 4 years....numbers that have regressed years 2 thru 4 culminating with a 13/18 ratio this year. Any change has to be better than this production. What other franchise would continue to roll out that kind of ineptitude?

Speaking of ineptitude, lets look at the worst passing team in the league....Arizona...4 QBs combined for 55% passing and 11 TD/21 INTs.....horrendous production....that forced the team to try anything to improve....hence 4 QBs. Sanchez would fit right in there
    Last edited by Redrew; 01-07-2013 at 05:48 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Arguments for mediocre QB's like Alex Smith, Flacco, and Sanchez need to be put to rest. You are a bad front office guy if you think that you can honestly win a Super Bowl without elite talent at QB.

Matt Schaub is about as low as you can go and still not die laughing about your chances at a title.

And even then it looks like his window has closed.

I'd stick Andy Dalton in the mix here unless he shows marked improvement next season.

People can laugh and whine about fantasy football and how it doesn't pertain to winning and losing in the NFL all they want but the bottom line is that while your defense may win the Super Bowl game itself, your QB gets you there, and your QB has to be able to light it up for 400+, 3+ scores, and a 70%+ completion percentage when he needs to. That capability absolutely has to be there.

Goodell has seriously ****ed up this game. I do blame him. Vinny was good, but that opening game when his Achilles' went that was the best team the Jets have or had fielded since Namath, he was not Peyton Manning or Marino. The best player on those Jets teams was still Martin and solid defense. That doesn't work anymore.

You need to look no further than Jim Harbaugh:

Harbaugh's a great coach, but even with a statistically dominant Alex Smith and a near runaway divisional title, he is starting Kapernick, because while Smith could even be considered better now, Kapernick has the skillset to dominate games.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lets Talk Football!
    Let's talk Turkey!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Flacco's going nowhere. If anything all the speculation will just drive up his asking price

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Flacco's going nowhere. If anything all the speculation will just drive up his asking price
    True. How much more do you think the speculation on JI drive up Flacco's asking price compared to if there was less speculation on JI about it?