Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets eyeing another GM candidate.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    Well we are interviewing two of the top up and coming executives in Gamble and Ross. If we miss out on both of them, I am going to be furious.

If Woody tries to to cram Cohen down our throats will the bull crap line "he's the most qualified guy" then I am taking all my Jets stuff and taking it down to the local homeless shelter. Of course I doubt they'd take the Sanchez jersey.
    LOL you just know its coming.....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gamble to Jets? Not so fast

The Jets' search for a general manager may have hit a snag.

The early favorite, 49ers director of player personnel Tom Gamble, will interview Tuesday with the Chargers, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Sunday night. Earlier Sunday, there were reports that Gamble had pushed back back his Chargers interview, fueling speculation that a Gamble-Jets deal was on the horizon.

That apparently isn't the case.

In the meantime, the Jets are said to be focused on another candidate. It's not clear if that person is Falcons director of player personnel Dave Caldwell, whom they interviewed Friday, or the two candidates slated to meet Monday with team officials -- Jets assistant GM Scott Cohen and Giants director of college scouting Marc Ross.

Caldwell reportedly is a leading candidate for the Jaguars' GM vacancy. Unless there's a mystery candidate, the Jets must interview Ross to satisfy the Rooney Rule, which requires teams to interview at least one minority candidate.

Perhaps this latest twist is posturing on the part of the Jets -- and Gamble, for that matter.

This much is known: From the outset, the Jets were prepared to expand the search if they weren't blown away by someone in the first round of interviews. If they go that route, they could try to re-connect with Packers director of football operations John Dorsey. He was on their original interview list, but the situation turned fluid amid reports he was headed to the Chiefs.

Another possibility is Dolphins assistant GM Brian Gaine, a former Jets player and scout who comes with Bill Parcells' stamp of approval.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Doesn't make a difference. The bottom line is that somebody is going to fill that seat and that person is going to have football personnel experience, no matter who the candidate is. That's good enough for me.

Everyone here is still butt hurt from the Belichick napkin.

Even if its Terry Bradway??? LOL

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    You cats are reading that all wrong.......that's simply Jets front office fluff, so that they adhere to the Rooney rule. The Jets are "eyeing" Marc Ross, about as much as Gamble is considering the Chargers.

Ross will interview Monday, and Gamble won't even make the trip to San Diego......he's a Jet.

Perhaps this latest twist is posturing on the part of the Jets -- and Gamble, for that matter.

bingo.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post
    You cats are reading that all wrong.......that's simply Jets front office fluff, so that they adhere to the Rooney rule. The Jets are "eyeing" Marc Ross, about as much as Gamble is considering the Chargers.

Ross will interview Monday, and Gamble won't even make the trip to San Diego......he's a Jet.
    That's what we said about Winfield, Asomugha, etc. Nothing is EVER a sure thing with this team -- on the field or off.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tfine350z View Post
    Even if its Terry Bradway??? LOL
    They're not considering Terry Bradway. Otherwise he would have been lined up for interviewing, wouldn't he?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    That's what we said about Winfield, Asomugha, etc.
    You may have.....I didn't.

Nothing is EVER a sure thing with this team -- on the field or off.

Gamble is a Jet.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's what we said about Winfield, Asomugha, etc. Nothing is EVER a sure thing with this team -- on the field or off.
    As it turned out not getting Asomugha was a blessing. He stunk it up in Philly.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gamble to Jets? Not so fast

The Jets' search for a general manager may have hit a snag.

The early favorite, 49ers director of player personnel Tom Gamble, will interview Tuesday with the Chargers, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Sunday night. Earlier Sunday, there were reports that Gamble had pushed back back his Chargers interview, fueling speculation that a Gamble-Jets deal was on the horizon.

That apparently isn't the case.

In the meantime, the Jets are said to be focused on another candidate. It's not clear if that person is Falcons director of player personnel Dave Caldwell, whom they interviewed Friday, or the two candidates slated to meet Monday with team officials -- Jets assistant GM Scott Cohen and Giants director of college scouting Marc Ross.

Caldwell reportedly is a leading candidate for the Jaguars' GM vacancy. Unless there's a mystery candidate, the Jets must interview Ross to satisfy the Rooney Rule, which requires teams to interview at least one minority candidate.

This much is known: From the outset, the Jets were prepared to expand the search if they weren't blown away by someone in the first round of interviews. If they go that route, they could try to re-connect with Packers director of football operations John Dorsey. He was on their original interview list, but the situation turned fluid amid reports he was headed to the Chiefs.

Another possibility is Dolphins assistant GM Brian Gaine, a former Jets player and scout who comes with Bill Parcells' stamp of approval.

LOL So did Tony Sparano...at this point in his life Parcells will give his hemorrhoid a stamp of a approval....

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mainly due to them not knowing how to play him. They have him in zone coverage most the time when he's a man to man guy.

Nobody knows if he would be that bad over here.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Really hope this is a smokescreen, or Gamble posturing for more money from NYJ....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    As far as Gaine is concerned, if Parcells gives him the thumbs up, then I don't want him. We have had Parcells or Parcells' cronies as GMs since 1997 and we know where it leads: crappy draft picks and salary cap hell by signing over-priced free agents that wear out their usefulness by the second year of their contracts.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Winfield too...probably don't trade up for Revis in 07 if Winfiekd is in the middle of a big contract.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I cant wait til we draft another kicker in the second round.....

Veteran
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Philip Rivers is an NFL quarterback, San Diego is a better city, and Peyton Manning won't be around for more than 2 years if that. He can pretty much control the AFC West for a decade with the right players on the field.

No Tom Brady's or Bill Belichick's out west.

SAR I
    So by saying that Rivers is an NFL quarterback and using that as an excuse for why Gamble would want to go to SD instead of NY you are implying that the Jets don't have an NFL QB. Doesn't that go against all of the garbage you have been saying for months about Sanchez? You just undercut all of that sh*t you've been heaping on JI. I'm glad the truth about how you feel about Sanchez has finally come out. Now stop with the charade.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    You may have.....I didn't.

Gamble is a Jet.
    I'll remain cautiously optimistic.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    So by saying that Rivers is an NFL quarterback and using that as an excuse for why Gamble would want to go to SD instead of NY you are implying that the Jets don't have an NFL QB. Doesn't that go against all of the garbage you have been saying for months about Sanchez? You just undercut all of that sh*t you've been heaping on JI. I'm glad the truth about how you feel about Sanchez has finally come out. Now stop with the charade.
    This again?

Mark Sanchez sucks but I feel that he is worth a second-look because he played great in the playoffs and lost all his weapons. That's it. Nothing more than that.

If I were a GM I'd prefer Rivers to Sanchez. Who the hell wouldn't? I'd also prefer a HC opening rather than being stuck with Tattoo. I'd prefer an owner with a history of holding onto HC's and GM's rather than one with an itchy trigger finger. I'd prefer the AFC West to the AFC Pats. I'd prefer sunny Cali over dreary New York.

We aren't a very attractive place of employment right now, not sure why the top candidate would want to come here to begin with.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx5GwULPU90

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    This again?

Mark Sanchez sucks but I feel that he is worth a second-look because he played great in the playoffs and lost all his weapons. That's it. Nothing more than that.

I'd also add, a quality Offensive Co-Ordinator.

Given the cap situation, his contract, his potential, it's worth giving him one last look, while bringing in the best QB to compete with him that we can and giving it all one more shot.

If it fails, it fails, and our new GM has a blank slate and cap room to work with in 2014......if it pans out? The risk was well worth it.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    This again?

I'd also add, a quality Offensive Co-Ordinator.

Given the cap situation, his contract, his potential, it's worth giving him one last look, while bringing in the best QB to compete with him that we can and giving it all one more shot.

If it fails, it fails, and our new GM has a blank slate and cap room to work with in 2014......if it pans out? The risk was well worth it.
    Exactly. We have nothing to lose. In fact, the odds of Sanchez thriving next season are greater than the odds of Ryan thriving by 10:1.

Sanchez just needs a new OC and a set of weapons; Ryan needs so much I don't have the energy to type it all.

SAR I