Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets eyeing another GM candidate.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    The fact that his interview is on Tuesday is very telling. After the Jets conclude their first round of interviews today, they will likely decide on two top choices whom they bring back for round 2. If Gamble is still on their list of 2, he will postpone that Tuesday interview in SD.
    The Jets are doing their due diligence and we should be thankful for that. If Woody is not comfortable with a GM prospect, he should move on.
    What???

So if Gamble learns he is one of two final candidates for the NYJ job, he will cancel other interviews? Postpone? "I have a 50% shot at the NYJ job, so I better burn my other bridges?" Pleeeeeease.
    Just curious if you were thankful during the Tony Sporano hire last year?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
    As we said Sunday, Tom Gamble had been set to meet with San Diego on the East Coast over the weekend. Tentatively rescheduled for this week.

... The Chargers are wrapping the process, tho. Family issue pushed Gamble to reschedule. Raye/Telesco "very impressive" w/SD, per source.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Manning is three years Brady's elder. Brady has another four or five years and he's stated before that he wants to play another seven years and that was I believe just a year or two ago.
    Manning was born in 1976. Brady was born in 1977. That's not three years.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    As we said Sunday, Tom Gamble had been set to meet with San Diego on the East Coast over the weekend. Tentatively rescheduled for this week.

... The Chargers are wrapping the process, tho. Family issue pushed Gamble to reschedule. Raye/Telesco "very impressive" w/SD, per source.
    Why wouldn't he be impressed? He can build his own staff and has the services of a competent NFL QB. Never mind the low stress situation SD offers vs NY.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    This is a non-story; everyone involved here (the Jets, Gamble, etc) are merely doing their due diligence.

If Gamble changes his mind at the last minute (or if the Jets do), these are merely contingency plans by both parties.
    also keep in mind that until they comply with the Rooney Rule, the Jets can't formally announce the signing of Gamble or any other GM candidate.

but let's just go over the timelines real quick: the Jets have already interviewed 3 guys for the position, Gamble, Dorsey and Caldwell. arguably, the top 3 "names" in the market. today, the Jets are interviewing Ross, a minority, and Cohen, the in-house guy.

more than likely neither Ross nor Cohen are under serious consideration for the job but they're part of the due process. their top target is one of the other 3, reportedly Gamble, but why not take the time to hear other voices and get different ideas on how to "fix" the Jets, since they need to go through with these interviews anyway?

we might not have a new GM in place by the time of tomorrow's press conference, but the timeline of events suggests that a decision will have already been made.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Redrew View Post
    Why wouldn't he be impressed? He can build his own staff and has the services of a competent NFL QB. Never mind the low stress situation SD offers vs NY.
    You're misreading that. It's saying Jimmy Raye & Tom Telesco (leading candidates for SD GM job) impressed SD, and that SD is wrapping up their GM search.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...argers-gm-race
    Last edited by McGinley; 01-07-2013 at 09:26 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Totally agree. With Rex and Sanchez still in place, we're a no win for a new GM in his first year.

Also, anyone going to compare San Diego with Florham Park? Plus, Gamble would still be on the West Coast and a short plane ride back to any remaining Bay Area commitments or interests.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I still see the Jets getting Tom Gamble. I don't believe this article changes things at all. It still said Gamble turned down an interview with the Jags so he could focus on landing the Jets job.

It also says the Jets are interested in another candidate, Marc Ross. Well, that appears to be just satisfying the Rooney rule in their GM search.

So unless San Diego is somehow able to present Gamble with an offer he's unable to refuse, I think he will come back to NY.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    What???

So if Gamble learns he is one of two final candidates for the NYJ job, he will cancel other interviews? Postpone? "I have a 50% shot at the NYJ job, so I better burn my other bridges?" Pleeeeeease.
    Just curious if you were thankful during the Tony Sporano hire last year?
    If covets the jets job, he will wait. Pretty simple.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;4763230]Totally agree. With Rex and Sanchez still in place, we're a no win for a new GM in his first year.

Disagree with you there. With Rex and Mark in place the new GM gets a free pass for the year, with built in scapegoats if the season goes south. He also get a draft/FA period to start building his own team. It's a great set up for someone smart enough to make use of what he has.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I still see the Jets getting Tom Gamble. I don't believe this article changes things at all. It still said Gamble turned down an interview with the Jags so he could focus on landing the Jets job.

It also says the Jets are interested in another candidate, Marc Ross. Well, that appears to be just satisfying the Rooney rule in their GM search.

So unless San Diego is somehow able to present Gamble with an offer he's unable to refuse, I think he will come back to NY.
    For arguments sake, lets say SD and the NYJ offer Gamble the same deal. Is it your belief that Gamble would choose NY?

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

Many Issues

There are a number of issues with the Jets. Maybe Tom Gamble wants to weigh his options before he makes a commitment to a GM position.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;4763230]Totally agree. With Rex and Sanchez still in place, we're a no win for a new GM in his first year.

Disagree with you there. With Rex and Mark forced on him the new GM gets a free pass for the year, with built in scapegoats if the season goes south. He also get a draft/FA period to start building his own team. It's a great set up for someone smart enough to make use of what he has.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yet...he still plays....so....your list is meaningless.

38....that's the age when the wheels have come off for all but one of the modern day elite QBs (Moon was the exception). Manning appears to be the second great QB that will defy father time. In this era of HGH...aka the fountain of youth....its good NFL business to look a blind eye in testing this aging vet QBs. Plus, the crippling effects of knee injuries seems to have diminished as modern medicine has turned ACL/MCL injuries into nothing more than a routine procedure.
    Historical examples don't hold up. The game has changed so much in the last 10 years. Qbs used to get hit and took much more of a pounding than they do now.
    The only guys now who will retire in the mid 30s are going to be the running qbs who still take poundings.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by King P View Post
    In a way, I can't be too upset about this.

Last year I heavily criticized the Jets last for hiring Tony Sparano right off the bat and at not doing their due diligence by looking at more candidates.

So I guess I can't be hypocritical and criticize them for actually doing their due diligence in this instance.
    Didn't Todd Haley and one other candidate come in for an interview before Sparano?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=skipper;4763251]
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Totally agree. With Rex and Sanchez still in place, we're a no win for a new GM in his first year.

Disagree with you there. With Rex and Mark forced on him the new GM gets a free pass for the year, with built in scapegoats if the season goes south. He also get a draft/FA period to start building his own team. It's a great set up for someone smart enough to make use of what he has.
    exactly. it really depends on what kind of gm you want to be. if you want an easy gig where you have a qb for the next 5 years in an irrelevant market, go to san diego. if you want to make a name for yourself and be considered among the elite, go to the jets and turn that franchise around.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    If covets the jets job, he will wait. Pretty simple.
    Can you list any reasons that this Jets job is "covetable".

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    For arguments sake, lets say SD and the NYJ offer Gamble the same deal. Is it your belief that Gamble would choose NY?
    Based on what other articles have stated and based on his relationship with Rex Ryan, YES. I think Tom Gamble wants the Jets job more than any other because he'll be working with HIS choice of HC, Rex Ryan.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Eyeing another Candidate" is the smart move. If Gamble is our target, and we get him, it's all good. If Gamble is our target, and he goes elsewhere, we can still say to our number 2 choice, "Hey, we wanted you all along". Win, win.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    Well we are interviewing two of the top up and coming executives in Gamble and Ross. If we miss out on both of them, I am going to be furious.

If Woody tries to to cram Cohen down our throats will the bull crap line "he's the most qualified guy" then I am taking all my Jets stuff and taking it down to the local homeless shelter. Of course I doubt they'd take the Sanchez jersey.
    It may be the "Rex Ryan Factor" after all?