Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets eyeing another GM candidate.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    Really hope this is a smokescreen, or Gamble posturing for more money from NYJ....
    And/or more years. 3-4 years didn't seem right from the start. Not for a GM brought in to turn around a franchise with a bad cap situation.

[QUOTE=augustiniak;4763255]
    Quote Originally Posted by skipper View Post

exactly. it really depends on what kind of gm you want to be. if you want an easy gig where you have a qb for the next 5 years in an irrelevant market, go to san diego. if you want to make a name for yourself and be considered among the elite, go to the jets and turn that franchise around.
    Winning makes any market relevant? Seems to me Seattle is looking pretty relevant. And why is a small town in Wisconsin always relevant?
    And your easy gig statement....do GMs in small cities work less? I guess they do if we are including the firefighter duties that a NYJ GM must also engage in...to put out the constant brush fires of non football related team activities of coach and players. How are those "name making" opportunities working out for the revolving door of past management/coaches?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    lol, you guys are getting worked up about something we already knew. Keep calm and carry on, fellas.
    Not exactly. We were told that Gamble put off his interview with San Diego. Pushed it back to Friday I believe. Presumably to put them off while he focused on finalizing a deal with the Jets after talking to Ross.

Now it's being reported that he's interviewing with San Diego tomorrow.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Not exactly. We were told that Gamble put off his interview with San Diego. Pushed it back to Friday I believe. Presumably to put them off while he focused on finalizing a deal with the Jets after talking to Ross.

Tomorrow's press conference may end up being a big disappointment.

Didn't Todd Haley and one other candidate come in for an interview before Sparano?
    Nope. They interviewed Haley after they already hired Sparano.

Sparano was the 1st person they interviewed.

Umm, no. He put it off due to family issues. He was always going to interview there regardless.

lol, you guys are getting worked up about something we already knew. Keep calm and carry on, fellas.
    typical Jets fan mentality.

hoping for something bad to happen just so they get to say, "see?? I TOLD YOU the Jets would **** this up!!"

just miserable

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    typical Jets fan mentality.

hoping for something bad to happen just so they get to say, "see?? I TOLD YOU the Jets would **** this up!!"

just miserable
    Are you saying I'M doing that? If so, reread what I was referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrew View Post
    Can you list any reasons that this Jets job is "covetable".
    Look man, you are trying to make this personal. This is not about me or what I think. I could care a less if he comes here or not. Just by reading the reports from the last several days, it seems as if HE wants this job, not me.

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    Tomorrow's press conference may end up being a big disappointment.
    Does Gamble going to SD give the JETS an excuse to postpone their press conf. for tomorrow now, or do they just say we've had an ongoing search of some very qualified. applicants but we are still looking for the perfect fit for the JET org. That is all we have for you for now, we will get back to you when we have further updates hopefully very soon Thank You!

[QUOTE=skipper;4763247]
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Totally agree. With Rex and Sanchez still in place, we're a no win for a new GM in his first year.

Disagree with you there. With Rex and Mark in place the new GM gets a free pass for the year, with built in scapegoats if the season goes south. He also get a draft/FA period to start building his own team. It's a great set up for someone smart enough to make use of what he has.
    You really think postponing the inevitable is a "great set up?" "I'm really looking forward to wiping out my staff and key players one year into my watch." The rose colored glasses must be on sale by the bushel.
    So lets play this game....your the new GM, your saddled with Rex and the roster sucks. By waiting a year to blow it up, the job essentially becomes one of managing office politics. Just look at Rex's past record, he's a survivor willing to toss coordinators under the bus/out the door to prolong his Jets tenure. Hmmmm, wonder what Rex will be saying behind the new guy's back next year. And dealing with the press....bet the daily inquiries into whether the Jets will be sh*t canning the HC and QB is something a new GM is excited about in this one year delay exercise.
    Just two non football examples on why this Jets job is very unappealing to any GM candidate who wants to get serious about being successful. Hit the ground running....or accept status quo? Retreads would be happy to cash Woody's checks. But someone with multiple opportunities in front of him??

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Based on what other articles have stated and based on his relationship with Rex Ryan, YES. I think Tom Gamble wants the Jets job more than any other because he'll be working with HIS choice of HC, Rex Ryan.
    Nothing has ever been reported that Rex Ryan is Tom Gamble's "choice."
    Last edited by Jordy; 01-07-2013 at 10:15 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Umm, no. He put it off due to family issues. He was always going to interview there regardless.
    The "family issues" just came up this morning, no? I read nothing of them before today.

The "family issues" just came up this morning, no? I read nothing of them before today.
    No, it was about a day or so ago, as I recall. I'm sure I posted something about it in either the 1/5 or 1/6 tweet threads.

All League
    It's very telling, in my opinion, that none of the Jets beat writers seem to be picking up anything from within the organization about any type of "snag" with Gamble...whether it be from the Jets side or his side.

My guess: Goodell got in Woody's ear about not making a mockery of the Rooney Rule by making a charade out of the Ross interview. So, the Jets told Gamble to keep his SD interview, at least publicly, and someone from within the league office mentioned something to Shefty about the Jets "eyeing" another candidate. Shefty has better sources in the league office...if we start to hear from the Jets beats that something has gone sour, then I'll reassess.

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Nothing has ever been reported that Rex Ryan his Tom Gamble's "choice."
    You would think if it was, Gamble could have met Woody with Rex in Atlantis. Nice selling point. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by joiseyjet View Post
    You would think if it was, Gamble could have met Woody with Rex in Atlantis. Nice selling point. LOL!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8OBlq_svBY

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Based on what other articles have stated and based on his relationship with Rex Ryan, YES. I think Tom Gamble wants the Jets job more than any other because he'll be working with HIS choice of HC, Rex Ryan.
    What is this relationship? The only thing that links these two were that that fathers hated each other

Jets Insider VIP
    All this talk about the "San Diego job is more desirable than the Jets job" is so ridiculously absurd.

Even if this were absolute logical fact, not a single one of you has any insight whatsoever as to what Gamble's wife is going to decide.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Further proof that everything that is being reported about all these coaching moves and GM moves is nothing but speculation.

Think about how many tweets, articles and reports have been flat out wrong in the last week from Andy Reid to Arizona, Chip Kelly etc. etc.

Further proof that most of these guys have no real sources to legit information about these hires.

They're just taking info they do know...i.e. Gamble cancelled his Jags interview and trying to make educated guesses.

Then you take true bloggers like Steiny and his crew who take those educated guesses one step further with hopes that they will come true so that they can say tout that reported first. When the reality is, all they're doing is taking a guess. They have no more inside information then you or I do.