Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets eyeing another GM candidate.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    All this talk about the "San Diego job is more desirable than the Jets job" is so ridiculously absurd.

Even if this were absolute logical fact, not a single one of you has any insight whatsoever as to what Gamble's wife is going to decide.
    It's the SOJF mentality...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    Tomorrow's press conference may end up being a big disappointment.
    i don't understand why they postponed the whole thing. it's looking like they won't have a gm, so they created more problems for the whole thing now. if they had just held the stupid conference last monday they'd have avoided a lot of headache. and maybe rex could have gone away and nobody would have spotted the tattoo.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    Tomorrow's press conference may end up being a big disappointment.
    Very possible, although I hope not. Really want to see a GM in place soon, so the team can start to move forward, fire Rex and the staff and/or trade/dump Sanchez if thast what they're going to do, and start the rebuild for 2013.

Despite knowing that hurrying is not smart, I can't help but feel that desire to "HIRE SOMEONE NOW!!!!!!".

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can't blame the front office for not "going-all-in" on one particular guy - in this case, Gamble. We've been burnt before when we took this approach. What's to prevent it from happening again? In fact, I'm happy we're talking to more than one guy.

As much as people dispute it, being any part of a NY franchise is a big step in the right direction. Especially if you're able right a sinking ship. Granted, the franchise is currently a mess, but just think how you'll be looked at if you're the guy to straighten everything out. Besides you being a legend in the NY sporting community (which is arguably the largest in the country) you'll be coveted throughout the league. God forbid things go south, you're surely get another shot.

In reality, all of the beat writers and experts can only speculate on what the team's doing... At this point, the only person I'll listen to is Woody because in the end, he's signing the check. When he has an announcement, I'll either cheer or spit at my TV.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tfine350z View Post
    We've been down this road before...We know where it leads...
    I think we need a Dees and Dose kind of guy.

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    What time is the Ross interview today, if it has not happened yet.cause if it is just the rooney rule holding things up we should. Know soon after.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lolz at all the freak out in this thread.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joiseyjet View Post
    What time is the Ross interview today, if it has not happened yet.cause if it is just the rooney rule holding things up we should. Know soon after.
    I saw a tweet from, I think either Breer or Schefter, that we would not have our presser with new GM in tow. If I recall correctly, I think it was mentioned that Woody was the one who said that.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Exactly. We have nothing to lose. In fact, the odds of Sanchez thriving next season are greater than the odds of Ryan thriving by 10:1.

Sanchez just needs a new OC and a set of weapons; Ryan needs so much I don't have the energy to type it all.

SAR I
    You are kidding yourself about Sanchez. He DOESN'T see the field, plain and simple. You can't teach that. He has had a ton of wide open receivers that he never even sees. H has had a ton of wide open receivers that he sees way too late and then still tries to throw it to them. And he never sees DB's and usually hits them in the gut. That interception against Buffalo was unreal. The guy did not even move from when the ball was snapped and he threw it right to him. This is not a coaching issue. You either see and feel the field or you don't. HE DON"T!!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    I saw a tweet from, I think either Breer or Schefter, that we would not have our presser with new GM in tow. If I recall correctly, I think it was mentioned that Woody was the one who said that.
    then why delay the presser a week?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Redrew;4763309]
    Quote Originally Posted by skipper View Post

You really think postponing the inevitable is a "great set up?" "I'm really looking forward to wiping out my staff and key players one year into my watch." The rose colored glasses must be on sale by the bushel.
    So lets play this game....your the new GM, your saddled with Rex and the roster sucks. By waiting a year to blow it up, the job essentially becomes one of managing office politics. Just look at Rex's past record, he's a survivor willing to toss coordinators under the bus/out the door to prolong his Jets tenure. Hmmmm, wonder what Rex will be saying behind the new guy's back next year. And dealing with the press....bet the daily inquiries into whether the Jets will be sh*t canning the HC and QB is something a new GM is excited about in this one year delay exercise.
    Just two non football examples on why this Jets job is very unappealing to any GM candidate who wants to get serious about being successful. Hit the ground running....or accept status quo? Retreads would be happy to cash Woody's checks. But someone with multiple opportunities in front of him??
    I don't think giving the HC a year to impress the new GM is detrimental to a GM taking the job. Rex did not have back to back 3 win seasons. The GMs job is to look long term - not next year. I (if i was a jets fan) rather have him getting his FO staff together. New pro and college scouting hires (and reviews of existing personnel) he has 2 weeks to get his team to the senior bowl/ east west game. These are items that will affect the team over the next 4 years.

he has to review the last 3 or 4 years of scouting reports done by the jets scouts to see how they grade out.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Reality pill

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Very possible, although I hope not. Really want to see a GM in place soon, so the team can start to move forward, fire Rex and the staff and/or trade/dump Sanchez if thast what they're going to do, and start the rebuild for 2013.

Despite knowing that hurrying is not smart, I can't help but feel that desire to "HIRE SOMEONE NOW!!!!!!".
    You need to consider anti-depressants.Ryan isn't going anywhere, whether its Gamble Ross,Caldwell.And theres no evidence that any candidate is shying away from the Jet job because of Ryan

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    then why delay the presser a week?
    Don't see why that would really matter, tbh. We might have a GM in secret, but we most likely won't "officially" have on during the presser.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't see why that would really matter, tbh. We might have a GM in secret, but we most likely won't "officially" have on during the presser.
    considering how much mud that's been slung on them for delaying this end of year presser, it makes no sense to have delayed it so long unless they had a good reason. now we're learning there likely was no good reason.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    You need to consider anti-depressants.Ryan isn't going anywhere, whether its Gamble Ross,Caldwell.And theres no evidence that any candidate is shying away from the Jet job because of Ryan
    By the same token, there's no "evidence" that any candidate isn't.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    Doubt seriously if it will be DeCosta,. and here's why. Ozzie was interviewed friday by Stephen A and Ruocco. When asked why he passed on Rex twice for head coach job, said #1 Rex not diversifed enough(too def.orientated, whereas Harbough also new specials), but bigger point , as he put it, was 'you just want to stay away from the nonsense", to paraphrase. After seeing the sideshow that is Rex for four years, you can see Newsome made right call. DeCosta has trained under Ozzie for years, and more than likely was in all the coaching interviews. Seriously doubt he would leave Ravens when he knows he would be saddled with"Sideshow Bob." If they promote from within, I think we will be able to sit anywhere we want next season.
    I find this post fascinating.

Ozzie Newsome was a smart, no-nonsense warrior of a player and that has obviously carried over to his duties as a GM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    lol, you guys are getting worked up about something we already knew. Keep calm and carry on, fellas.
    Just before season's end...DeCosta and Ross were the first two guys I was focused on, to be the next GM. IMO...being successful apprenticing in the Giants organization, is a big + for me. Besides...Reese himself said Ross is ready for it.

If Marc Ross gets it...I'm fine with this for sure.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was going to start a thread last night that we were not going to get Gamble. I think most of the rumours we heard were by his agent for leverage on the SD job. In the end we will probably wind up with Cohen or Clinkscales and continue to suck at personnel.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post
    Just before season's end...DeCosta and Ross were the first two guys I was focused on, to be the next GM. IMO...being successful apprenticing in the Giants organization, is a big + for me. Besides...Reese himself said Ross is ready for it.

If Marc Ross gets it...I'm fine with this for sure.
    If he gets it, that's fine with me. I'm just saying I don't see how this article re-introducing old facts changes anything today.

In any event, I'm totally expecting us to do something completely Jest-like and give the job to Cohen. Then we'll get to hear Rex tell us how Cohen gives us the best chance to acquire the guys that give us the best chance to win. It would be poetic.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    If he gets it, that's fine with me. I'm just saying I don't see how this article re-introducing old facts changes anything today.

In any event, I'm totally expecting us to do something completely Jest-like and give the job to Cohen. Then we'll get to hear Rex tell us how Cohen gives us the best chance to acquire the guys that give us the best chance to win. It would be poetic.
    Because as of yesterday, it was reported that Gamble had put off his interview with SD fueling speculation he was not leaving Florham Park without a contract.