Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Most problematic positions for next season

  1. #1
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Peter-Ording (Germany)
    Posts
    5,522
    Post Thanks / Like

    Most problematic positions for next season

    We got a few positions that are extremely thin going into the offseason and are most likely the biggest problems for our new GM:

    OLB - We are basically only left with Garrett McIntyre, Ricky Sapp and Jaquies Smith. The last two are bottom of the roster guys and cant be counted on. McIntyre has been solid whenever called upon and due to money issues might start next year.
    QB - We do not have our future QB on the roster. Sanchez and McElroy are here to stay and would be good backups. We will either find a veteran in FA or draft a guy early in the draft.
    OG - Moore and Slauson are both FAs and most likely one of them wont be back. Their play has been spotty anyways. Ducasse will most likely take over one spot. Not sure if that is a good thing.
    S - Landry and Bell are both FAs and Smith is gone. Antonio Allen will take over as the LB/S hybrid where he is already seeing playing time. Other than that we got nothing but unknowns. Landry should be a priority in the offseason due to his play and leadership. No long term deal though.

  2. #2
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    7,887
    Post Thanks / Like
    Add in RB as we need to sign a starter... I just can't see Powell being the starter next season... Either we re-sign Greene or look elsewhere.

  3. #3
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    18,680
    Post Thanks / Like
    A'ight, I'll bite....who the f*ck is Jaquies Smith?

    Isn't that one of the Charlies Angels?

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,124
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dont know if the Jets have gone into an off-season with as many questions in as many positions, as they are facing this season. With pending free agents and guys being cut due to salary, every position group has questions. It should be an interesting off-season.

  5. #5
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Westchester
    Posts
    1,381
    Post Thanks / Like
    The two keys for Jets 2013 success are QB and LB.

    QB, it depends what your expectations are. As we all know, Sanchez is almost sure to be the starter - at least out of the gate. I think any new GM has a legitimate question to answer for themselves about whether Mark can be salvaged. It's really up to Mark to answer that, but I think a new GM cuts McElroy signs a capable vet who can truly take over if Mark fails again, and drafts a QB to develop.

    Matt Moore or a (released) Alex Smith are the most attractive options IMO.

    On the defensive side, it's about how well we rebuild the LB corps - from whatever mix of draft and limited dabblings in FA. I could see us targeting a few LB - starting with Teo. And that's one more reason David Harris isn't going anywhere - you need a vet presence in the middle of the field if you expect to bring young guys in.

  6. #6
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    742 Evergreen Terrace
    Posts
    10,717
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    A'ight, I'll bite....who the f*ck is Jaquies Smith?

    Isn't that one of the Charlies Angels?
    PM jr128. He'll tell you everything about him, right down to his toothpaste preference.

  7. #7
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Peter-Ording (Germany)
    Posts
    5,522
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    A'ight, I'll bite....who the f*ck is Jaquies Smith?

    Isn't that one of the Charlies Angels?
    Practice squad add late in the year. Undersized hybrid rusher from Missouri who as on the Dolphins for some time.

    As mentioned, I forgot a few positions actually as they seem a little easier to fill: Running back, wide receiver.

    A lot of individual questions aswell not only thinking about the ability of the players but also about the willingness of the FO to roll with a lesser guy and fill a spot with a cheap role player:
    Is McIntyre looked at as a starter? He was constantly the starter whenever one of the starting OLB went down.
    Can Kenrick Ellis become our primary nose tackle? Talent is there, coaches like him but injuries have plagued him.
    Is Bilal Powell ready for the starting tailback spot? Can he develop his game?
    Can Demario Davis man the ILB spot next to Harris? Will the FO let him start?
    Is Ducasse able to take over as the starter and not get our QB killed?
    Will Quinton Coples finally take the starting spot at DE?
    Who of the young development players - A.Allen, Walls, Bush, Bellore, Schlauderaff, J.White - takes his game to the next level and challenges for some real playing time?
    What happens with the TE spot?

  8. #8
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,850
    Post Thanks / Like
    And everyone is happy with TE, WR, FB and right tackle? Whoa.

  9. #9
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,335
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    We got a few positions that are extremely thin going into the offseason and are most likely the biggest problems for our new GM:

    OLB - We are basically only left with Garrett McIntyre, Ricky Sapp and Jaquies Smith. The last two are bottom of the roster guys and cant be counted on. McIntyre has been solid whenever called upon and due to money issues might start next year.
    QB - We do not have our future QB on the roster. Sanchez and McElroy are here to stay and would be good backups. We will either find a veteran in FA or draft a guy early in the draft.
    OG - Moore and Slauson are both FAs and most likely one of them wont be back. Their play has been spotty anyways. Ducasse will most likely take over one spot. Not sure if that is a good thing.
    S - Landry and Bell are both FAs and Smith is gone. Antonio Allen will take over as the LB/S hybrid where he is already seeing playing time. Other than that we got nothing but unknowns. Landry should be a priority in the offseason due to his play and leadership. No long term deal though.
    Can probably address olb and og with first two picks, maybe even qb if able to trade back some in 1st and get a second 2nd. Safety probably either 3-4th, or FA. In all honesty, with Cap issues, this HAS to be a great draft for us, kind of like what Seattle was able to do last year.

  10. #10
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,068
    Post Thanks / Like
    Th o line is a joke. Keep Mangold and brick only.

  11. #11
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Westchester
    Posts
    1,381
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    Can probably address olb and og with first two picks, maybe even qb if able to trade back some in 1st and get a second 2nd. Safety probably either 3-4th, or FA. In all honesty, with Cap issues, this HAS to be a great draft for us, kind of like what Seattle was able to do last year.
    Yes, very true - has to be a good draft.

    If Jets feel Demario Davis can step in at ILB, perhaps they go Dion Jordan at the Pace OLB spot, in the 1st round. Sounds like there is good OG depth too - so your notion here seems correct.

  12. #12
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,068
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    Th o line is a joke. Keep Mangold and brick only.
    Then tell both of those clowns to wake the fock in 2013. Or they are next.

  13. #13
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2,068
    Post Thanks / Like
    The o line really was the weak link this year. I know we played a group of # 4 and#5 receivers, who could never get any seperation and the TE is a complete possy. Still they were pused around all year long. If no upgrades are made here, it won't matter who plays OB,RB, or receiver we are DOA with this unit.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    13,518
    Post Thanks / Like
    The most problematic position on this team is QB, by far.

    Dump Tebow, trade Pick 6, keep McElroy as a backup. Get Matt Flynn and a mid round QB in here.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,386
    Post Thanks / Like
    qb as we speak we dont have 1.

  16. #16
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    36,746
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    We got a few positions that are extremely thin going into the offseason and are most likely the biggest problems for our new GM:
    #1 Quarterback. Fiscally tied to an untradeable, worst QB-in-NFL. No backups worth playing. Position needs a complete re-population talent-wise. This problem trumps all others.

    #2 Linebacker -- Old and slow is no way to go through an NFL Season.

    #3 Safety -- If Landry & Bell are not/can not be reigned, becomes one of our weakest positions overall.

    #4 Running Back -- Our #1 isn't good enough, period. He's no playmaker.

  17. #17
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,593
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is not a position that is not a problem issue with the jets

    CB- Revis and Wilson are FA next off season, Cro the year after.
    Safety- Nobody on the roster has started more than one game.
    ILB- no depth and Davis has started only one game, Harris a liability in Coverage and on plays to the sideline.
    OLB- No proven starters
    Defensive line- Is Pouha cut? Is Devito resigned? Can Eliis stay healthy? Coples and Wilkenson are the only proven starters
    Oline- both starting guards are FA, RT is RFA ( but 1.8 mill tag level is useless)
    Backups are suspect at best at all three positions.
    TE, Keller FA and Cumberland is a RFA (again 1.8 mill tag)
    RB- unproven backups, no #1 back on roster
    QB-Dead horse
    WR- Holmes has liz franc (and is a dip ****) Hill is talented but has the dropsies. Kerley is better than average in the slot.

    As far as priorities, I always want to go to the trenches first.

    In the draft
    1. Oline
    2, Dline or rush OLB

    FA pickups
    A1 Vet QB- anyone who has started at least 20 games.
    1. Both safety spots
    2. TE
    3. LB
    4. WR

  18. #18
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,415
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    #1 Quarterback. Fiscally tied to an untradeable, worst QB-in-NFL. No backups worth playing. Position needs a complete re-population talent-wise. This problem trumps all others.

    #2 Linebacker -- Old and slow is no way to go through an NFL Season.

    #3 Safety -- If Landry & Bell are not/can not be reigned, becomes one of our weakest positions overall.

    #4 Running Back -- Our #1 isn't good enough, period. He's no playmaker.
    Draft Pick #1 Pass Rushing OLB Beast
    Draft Pick #2 QB/RB
    Pick #3 QB/RB
    Pick #4 S/OG
    #5 S/OG
    #6 LB/S/RB BAP

    ETC. My point is that most of these positions are addressable in the draft. QB is the most critical and difficult to draft/project. If the QB situation gets resolved everything else will be a cakewalk by comparison.

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,386
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    Draft Pick #1 Pass Rushing OLB Beast
    Draft Pick #2 QB/RB
    Pick #3 QB/RB
    Pick #4 S/OG
    #5 S/OG
    #6 LB/S/RB BAP

    ETC. My point is that most of these positions are addressable in the draft. QB is the most critical and difficult to draft/project. If the QB situation gets resolved everything else will be a cakewalk by comparison.
    manti teo will be gone at 9.

    undrafted burfict looked pretty good in the wildcard game saturday night.

  20. #20
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    5,986
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    We got a few positions that are extremely thin going into the offseason and are most likely the biggest problems for our new GM:

    OLB - We are basically only left with Garrett McIntyre, Ricky Sapp and Jaquies Smith. The last two are bottom of the roster guys and cant be counted on. McIntyre has been solid whenever called upon and due to money issues might start next year.
    QB - We do not have our future QB on the roster. Sanchez and McElroy are here to stay and would be good backups. We will either find a veteran in FA or draft a guy early in the draft.
    OG - Moore and Slauson are both FAs and most likely one of them wont be back. Their play has been spotty anyways. Ducasse will most likely take over one spot. Not sure if that is a good thing.
    S - Landry and Bell are both FAs and Smith is gone. Antonio Allen will take over as the LB/S hybrid where he is already seeing playing time. Other than that we got nothing but unknowns. Landry should be a priority in the offseason due to his play and leadership. No long term deal though.
    Jets only have 10 starters under contract. Among those starters, Sanchez, Holmes and Harris have contracts that pretty much render the offseason moves to be mostly cosmetic. There's little CAP space to do much more then that.

    Landry should be the #1 offseason target. But unless the new GM moves some players with big contracts off the team via trade and/or cuts...I don't see the Jets resigning him. Besides he's looking for around a max 4 year deal. Jeremiah Bell is a more likely resigning then Landry.

    First 3 rounds of draft could be for OLB...OL...QB...RB.

    OLB...is a high draft choice must. !st or 2nd pick

    QB...a 2nd to 4th round pick possibility. Plus a veteran FA signing.

    OL is probably going to be targeted within 1st - 3rd picks too. Then a cheap signing from FA.

    RB...Jets need an explosive back to complement Bilal. Could be a 1st to 4th round pick here.

    IMO...targeting high ticket FAs is useless when the CAP cupboard is bare.
    Last edited by GreenReaper; 01-07-2013 at 12:18 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us