Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 144

Thread: Tweets & News 1/7

  1. #61
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,529
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    If Sparano is retained, I don't watch Jets games next season.
    +1 Plus, I send Woody and Rex each a box of doodie.

  2. #62
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Funkytown
    Posts
    24,875
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post
    Cohen actually wouldn't be terrible. He has a strong scouting background. He worked under Tom Heckert with the Eagles.

    He's not the sexy pick mainly because he's an internal candidate, and I wouldn't say he's my top choice, but I don't think he'd be a bad one either.
    By the same token, no one is knocking on the Jets door asking to talk to Scott Cohen. Too many good candidates available to settle.

  3. #63
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In transit
    Posts
    6,057
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    By the same token, no one is knocking on the Jets door asking to talk to Scott Cohen. Too many good candidates available to settle.
    When looking for a GM, don't you look towards a team that has drafted well in the last 3 years? Someone who has been around a team with a good drafting philosophy?

    "Hey, we stole a scout off the Jets!!! He brought the entire Jets draft board with him!"

    "Is it too late to give him back?"

  4. #64
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    5,978
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JETFAN1 View Post
    It's hard to believe any of these tweets.

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    It's ...


  5. #65
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Funkytown
    Posts
    24,875
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    When looking for a GM, don't you look towards a team that has drafted well in the last 3 years? Someone who has been around a team with a good drafting philosophy?

    "Hey, we stole a scout off the Jets!!! He brought the entire Jets draft board with him!"

    "Is it too late to give him back?"
    Exactly.

    And as others have mentioned, why pay a firm $200K to find you a GM if all you're going to do is promote the guy in the office next to Tanny's old one.

  6. #66
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,529
    Post Thanks / Like
    Clinkscales! Clinkscales! Clinkscales!




  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    13,518
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Exactly.

    And as others have mentioned, why pay a firm $200K to find you a GM if all you're going to do is promote the guy in the office next to Tanny's old one.
    Exactly.

    But let's just say for argument's sake that Cohen absolutely nails his interview. What does Woody do? Hire someone he likes less than Cohen, or hire Cohen and deal with the backlash from the fans?

    I highly doubt this happens, BTW. I think the Cohen interview is merely a formality.

  8. #68
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    10,240
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Again I wouldn't mind Scott Cohen simply because he's a football personnel guy. Plus we don't know the machinations of his relationship with Tanny. For all we know he might have have been secretly opposed to the players that Tanny had drafted or signed.
    TRUE but do you REALLY want to take that risk?


    At least if we hire someone OUTSIDE the organization AWAY from the CIRCUS-like atmosphere that permeated this entire franchise 24/7, we know that his viewpoints/ideas/whatever will be fresh and...*gasp*...MAKE SENSE!!


    What a concept....

  9. #69
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4,949
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    That is silly, saying Marino wouldn't have been that much better pick than O'Brien. O'Brien is the second best QB on a franchise that hasn't had a 3rd best. Marino is one of the best all time, just cause Shula gave him no running game and no defense.
    Pretty much every team in the NFL thought Marino wasn't worth any more than a late first rounder. Just because the Jets took a QB everyone blasts them and gives the other teams a pass,

    Ken O'Brien was a very good player. You would think we were the ones that took Todd blackledge that year. The bottom line is that the Jets could have done better but made a good selection.

    Marino would not have kept the sack exchange and offensive line from getting old and injured. He would not have fixed the weaknesses in our coaching staff.

    With that being said, Marino throwing to Walker, Toon, and Shuler would have been fun to watch.

  10. #70
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    11,193
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    TRUE but do you REALLY want to take that risk?


    At least if we hire someone OUTSIDE the organization AWAY from the CIRCUS-like atmosphere that permeated this entire franchise 24/7, we know that his viewpoints/ideas/whatever will be fresh and...*gasp*...MAKE SENSE!!


    What a concept....
    That's true. Which is why Cohen is being interviewed last. He is basically the last resort/ emergency plan.

  11. #71
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    14,322
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini
    5 reasons to avoid Jets' GM job: It'll be a tough job. Here's why: 1. Rex Ryan. From all indications, the ... http://es.pn/V4tITn #nyj


    Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini
    Tattoo shirt hits the fans: It doesn't say a lot about your quarterbacks when the head coach has the most f... http://es.pn/V4tJ9M #nyj

  12. #72
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Funkytown
    Posts
    24,875
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by James Hasty View Post
    Pretty much every team in the NFL thought Marino wasn't worth any more than a late first rounder. Just because the Jets took a QB everyone blasts them and gives the other teams a pass,

    Ken O'Brien was a very good player. You would think we were the ones that took Todd blackledge that year. The bottom line is that the Jets could have done better but made a good selection.

    Marino would not have kept the sack exchange and offensive line from getting old and injured. He would not have fixed the weaknesses in our coaching staff.

    With that being said, Marino throwing to Walker, Toon, and Shuler would have been fun to watch.
    FWIW, one of the major concerns with Marino was weed.

  13. #73
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    16,619
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post
    Exactly.

    But let's just say for argument's sake that Cohen absolutely nails his interview. What does Woody do? Hire someone he likes less than Cohen, or hire Cohen and deal with the backlash from the fans?

    I highly doubt this happens, BTW. I think the Cohen interview is merely a formality.
    exactly.

    it's part of the due process and the kind of standard procedure you'd expect to have in place when a recruiting firm is involved.

  14. #74
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    121
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    FWIW, one of the major concerns with Marino was weed.
    Doobie Dan!

  15. #75
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    11,193
    Post Thanks / Like
    Michael Silver ‏@MikeSilver
    I'm told by a knowledgeable source that falcons player personnel director is likely to take Jags OR Jets GM job shortly. May have a choice

    Caldwell is thought to be the favorite for the Jags job.

  16. #76
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    14,322
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz
    http://Footballscoop.com reporting the Bills have asked the Jets for permission to interview Mike Pettine for DC job. #nyj

  17. #77
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    SoFla
    Posts
    17,779
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Michael Silver ‏@MikeSilver
    I'm told by a knowledgeable source that falcons player personnel director is likely to take Jags OR Jets GM job shortly. May have a choice

    Caldwell is thought to be the favorite for the Jags job.
    Holy ****. Thought we didn't have a chance.

  18. #78
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    18,640
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz
    http://Footballscoop.com reporting the Bills have asked the Jets for permission to interview Mike Pettine for DC job. #nyj
    He's not under contract....or is he technically still under contract until March 1?

  19. #79
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    11,193
    Post Thanks / Like
    Michael Silver ‏@MikeSilver
    If Cardinals player personnel director Steve Keim doesn't sign as Arizona's GM, expect him to become the Jags' GM. Cancelled SD interview...

    So this could be the chain

    Keim-Jaguars
    Caldwell-Jets
    Gamble-Chargers
    Ross-Panthers

  20. #80
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    10,240
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Michael Silver ‏@MikeSilver
    I'm told by a knowledgeable source that falcons player personnel director is likely to take Jags OR Jets GM job shortly. May have a choice

    Caldwell is thought to be the favorite for the Jags job.
    Wait!


    So we either end up with Gamble or Caldwell?

    Win-Win.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us