Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Chip Kelly

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Chip Kelly

From what is being reported, the Browns went away from Kelly as they didnt think his heart was 100% in the NFL at this point. Not sure what happened in Philly or if Buffalo was actually realistic.

That being said, is Kelly just being smart?

The browns have used high picks on colt mcoy and weeden, neither of whom can run kellys offense. The 6th pick is probably too high for a QB other then smith, and can he run what kelly wanted?

Even if vick could run it, it would be 1-2 years max and Foles cant.

The bills have no QB and are also in a situation like the browns...too early to pick a QB that cant do what kelly wants.

Now all that being said...is he just waiting for an opportunity to possibly team up with Manziel, Bridgewater or even Taj Boyd in 2014?

Manziel is self-explanatory, him and kelly would be a perfect fit. Bridgewater doesnt have gaudy rushing numbers, but by all accounts, can be a decent runner and play the read-option offense. Boyd definitely has the running ability to run Kellys offense.

Just seems like he is a pretty smart guy, who wants to go into a good situation in the NFL where he has the best chance to succeed.

If we completely implode in 2013, I would think a Kelly-Manziel team would make everyone feel a lot better!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think the Browns really wanted him and Philly wasn't the right move. He likely used it to get leverage to get more money in college.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    From what I heard, the Browns felt they were being dicked around and the he wasn't serious about going to the NFL.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chip Kelly would've been Spurrier'd next year, and I think he realized it at the last moment.

Having no NFL coaching experience is a recipe for disaster.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    According to reports, he's holding out for the Patriots job.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    Madre de Dios...

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    From what I heard, the Browns felt they were being dicked around and the he wasn't serious about going to the NFL.
    this is basically what schefter is saying on espn as we speak

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Really? Where is this coming from? That would be a bombshell, to say the least.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzershot18 View Post
    this is basically what schefter is saying on espn as we speak
    Awww, yea! McSchefty up in this *****. #Bess #Chipdawg #McBayBay

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    Really? Where is this coming from? That would be a bombshell, to say the least.
    http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/ore...nfl_dance.html

Some speculation, but the writer seems pretty well-informed. Take it as you will.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I also think Phil "Mr. Nike" Knight secretly opened up an offshore account in the Caymans for Chip and told him to pick a number between 7 and 8 million. or somethin like that

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Some speculation, but the writer seems pretty well-informed. Take it as you will.
    Thanks, good read. For us Jets fans, the sooner, the better.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

So is Josh McDaniels, Matt Patriciaand, and Steve Belichick. Who knew NE was in dire need of a coach?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Then he'd be better off going back to college.

'Cause the other teams will realize this and NO ONE would ever give him a call AGAIN.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd call that more than "some" speculation—it's 100% speculation. His basis is that Kelly grew up in NH (and therefore must dream to be the Patriots head coach as "every kid in New England dreams") and visited the Pats to help them run some of his no-huddle calls.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Think there's some truth to the idea that he's waiting for a team with the right offense setup for his system (or willing to invest in the pieces necessary to run it). Cleveland and Philly are likely too committed to Weeden/Foles to just throw them to the side for a coach. If Washington, Seattle, Carolina came calling, I think it would be a different story. Or when he's in a better position to acquire the one he needs. No guarantee that guy is in this years draft. Boyd might be the only option if he declared and your putting all of your eggs in the basket that nobody takes him in front of you. Hard to do.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    I also think Phil "Mr. Nike" Knight secretly opened up an offshore account in the Caymans for Chip and told him to pick a number between 7 and 8 million. or somethin like that
    This is probably what happened

Money talks

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Think there's some truth to the idea that he's waiting for a team with the right offense setup for his system (or willing to invest in the pieces necessary to run it). Cleveland and Philly are likely too committed to Weeden/Foles to just throw them to the side for a coach. If Washington, Seattle, Carolina came calling, I think it would be a different story. Or when he's in a better position to acquire the one he needs. No guarantee that guy is in this years draft. Boyd might be the only option if he declared and your putting all of your eggs in the basket that nobody takes him in front of you. Hard to do.
    Personally I think carolina really blew it here.

While they do have a few bad contracts there, they do have talent on that team, and a full slate of picks this season.

I am shocked that they would not make a big push to team Kelly with Cam.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kelly is smart to stay away, unlike Spurrier, who is exactly what Kelly would become at the NFL level.