Thread: RG3, Vick

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

RG3, Vick

Let me preface this by saying that RG3 is amazing. He's a stand-up young man, great head on his shoulders, incredible athletic talent, huge arm, good size, and is far, far beyond his years in his ability to play from the pocket and read defenses.

Now here's the bad side:

Like the "once in a lifetime" talent Michael Vick, I feel like this kid is worse in many ways than drafting Mark Sanchez.

If you project it out over a long term, how often is this guy going to be healthy? How long will he last since I would wager to say that Mike Shanahan is a pretty smart guy and there was a very specific reason why the read option was installed.

Simply put: Griffin isn't that adept (like Cam Newton) without the threat of being able to run the ball.

My point is: If Griffin is constantly at risk, what's worse than having a straight up bust with a bad contract?

It's having your season consistently go down the crapper because your franchise can't stay healthy.

Yesterday evening Griffin was healthy to start that game and they were slapping the crap out of one of the best defenses in the league. Then he got hurt. Then there went the Redskins season.

If you ask me right now: if we had the opportunity to draft Griffin, would he be desirable? Well that's the thing about drafts. How could you not take him? Every measurable is there. Every single thing you would want in a QB is there.

It reminds me greatly of when Vick was drafted. He lacked the size and defense-analysis that Griffin has but I remember watching him run and my God that arm.

But what happened? He basically harpooned the Falcons every year via injury. You can't cut bait in this case unless he goes killing dogs or something awful.

It's strange how things work out sometimes. I guess that's really my point.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He needs to quit acting like every play is in the last 2 minutes of the Superbowl. He's got it in his head that he has to get every extra inch even at the expense of his health.

Change that and RG3 will be fine.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    RG3 has partial ACL and LCL tears in his right knee. he also tore the same knee up at Baylor in 2009. that ain't good

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Like Steve Young, Mcnabb and others they become better pocket passers with time to stay on the field.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    These mobile QBs are fun while they last.....and a hell of alot more entertaining. Their star shines brighter but alas, the glow soon fades, Fair thee well

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JETFAN1 View Post
    Like Steve Young, Mcnabb and others they become better pocket passers with time to stay on the field.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    McNair is a better example. McNabb is insanely overrated even when in his prime. It was during a time when dinky dunk still worked and that's all he ever really did well. Steve Young had Jerry Rice and again, most DC's couldn't stop that offense. Don't get me wrong, Young was awesome, but McNair was much closer to RG3 in that the system was dictated by McNair's abilities.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    you're wrong. If Griffin made it a point to limit his scrambling he would still be a great quarterback, that's how accurate his arm is and what a smart decision maker he is.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Let me preface this by saying that RG3 is amazing. He's a stand-up young man, great head on his shoulders, incredible athletic talent, huge arm, good size, and is far, far beyond his years in his ability to play from the pocket and read defenses.

Now here's the bad side:

Like the "once in a lifetime" talent Michael Vick, I feel like this kid is worse in many ways than drafting Mark Sanchez.

If you project it out over a long term, how often is this guy going to be healthy? How long will he last since I would wager to say that Mike Shanahan is a pretty smart guy and there was a very specific reason why the read option was installed.

Simply put: Griffin isn't that adept (like Cam Newton) without the threat of being able to run the ball.

My point is: If Griffin is constantly at risk, what's worse than having a straight up bust with a bad contract?

It's having your season consistently go down the crapper because your franchise can't stay healthy.

Yesterday evening Griffin was healthy to start that game and they were slapping the crap out of one of the best defenses in the league. Then he got hurt. Then there went the Redskins season.

If you ask me right now: if we had the opportunity to draft Griffin, would he be desirable? Well that's the thing about drafts. How could you not take him? Every measurable is there. Every single thing you would want in a QB is there.

It reminds me greatly of when Vick was drafted. He lacked the size and defense-analysis that Griffin has but I remember watching him run and my God that arm.

But what happened? He basically harpooned the Falcons every year via injury. You can't cut bait in this case unless he goes killing dogs or something awful.

Run QBs eventually get injured. It is like the wild cat in that you have to have a Defender covering the QB at all times. So while they are healthy they hold the cards; however, if they only run 3 or 4 times a game then the Defenders forget to cover the QB and he doesn't get injured.

RGIII in his first season vs Andrew Luck. Who would you rather have? For me its Luck ?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Run QBs eventually get injured. It is like the wild cat in that you have to have a Defender covering the QB at all times. So while they are healthy they hold the cards; however, if they only run 3 or 4 times a game then the Defenders forget to cover the QB and he doesn't get injured.

RGIII in his first season vs Andrew Luck. Who would you rather have? For me its Luck ?
    Luck.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Luck.
    Smart man.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Said it many times during the draft process... I wouldn't take RG3 even in the third round. You could see even in college that he wouldn't hold up. He got his bell rung countless times in that bowl game and it was obvious his body wouldn't hold up. One of the biggest parts of being good is staying healthy and he can't do it. Same with Vick and Vick isn't even as good as griffin.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is the team or the man. When you tell a young QB go out and run a college style spread O your shortening his career no questions about it. Yeah maybe you get lucky and have 1 flash in the pan season like Vick, McNabb, or McNair. I loved McNair BTW. But overall when you hit 30 and you STILL can't run a pro style O you are boned. There is no Brady or Manning doing it at 35 and still at the top of the game. The one credit I McNabb is he adjusted his game greatly at the end of his career. It only took 3 major surgeries before he did it but he did. McNair had the talent but I'm convince he was a masochist. I feel for guys like Kaepernick, Cam, and Griffen who are running an O that will likely have them crippled in 4-5 years.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    RGIII = Big Brain and Heart
    Vick = Dog Killer and Quitter

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Said it many times during the draft process... I wouldn't take RG3 even in the third round. You could see even in college that he wouldn't hold up. He got his bell rung countless times in that bowl game and it was obvious his body wouldn't hold up. One of the biggest parts of being good is staying healthy and he can't do it. Same with Vick and Vick isn't even as good as griffin.
    you'd make Matt Millen look like a competent GM. You'd be out one division title so far.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    It is the team or the man. When you tell a young QB go out and run a college style spread O your shortening his career no questions about it. Yeah maybe you get lucky and have 1 flash in the pan season like Vick, McNabb, or McNair. I loved McNair BTW. But overall when you hit 30 and you STILL can't run a pro style O you are boned. There is no Brady or Manning doing it at 35 and still at the top of the game. The one credit I McNabb is he adjusted his game greatly at the end of his career. It only took 3 major surgeries before he did it but he did. McNair had the talent but I'm convince he was a masochist. I feel for guys like Kaepernick, Cam, and Griffen who are running an O that will likely have them crippled in 4-5 years.
    There was one QB that got away with it throughout his career and that was Fran Tarkington. He was very elusive and uncanny. I don't remember him ever getting hurt. He made commercials for years after he retired from the NFL.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Now here's the bad side:

I think every season the Redskins have while RG is the QB is going to look like and end exactly like yesterday did.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    I think every season the Redskins have while RG is the QB is going to look like and end exactly like yesterday did.
    Exactly, and that's worse than being glued to a bust for 5 seasons. Because you'd have to an idiot to turn away a guy with that skillset because "he may get hurt."

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Griffin was healthy to start that game yesterday?

That knee wasn't 100% yesterday.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
    Griffin was healthy to start that game yesterday?

That knee wasn't 100% yesterday.
    No he wasn't 100%. That's what's scary.

Washington's offense was absolutely unstoppable until he got hurt.

Alfred Morris was running through holes the size of elephants because the LB's and ultra-fast DE's on Seattle were frozen in place trying to anticipate if the read on the option was a handoff or a QB draw off play action.

Which begs the question:

Is Griffin capable of playing purely from the pocket? Can he be instructed to do that? If so maybe he's salvage-able.

You know who he honestly reminds me of the most in a lot of ways? A young Randall Cunningham on Philly. Cunningham was also very quick and had a cannon. But it took him to completely lose his speed to develop into a pocket passer finally with Minnesota and by then he had what, 2 years of decent play left in him?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    RGIII is a more than capable pocket passer. He would have been the #2 pick regardless of whether he could run or not