Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PC Gaming Nerds, need some help....

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post

Damn - is there anything you don't know how to do?
    I may definitely take you up on that down the road - I am going to see how it goes with this current project for some much needed experience, and then take it from there.

I'm sure the wife will be excited to know that in addition to the hours Ive logged in the PS3 that I will plan on doing this on the PC as well.
    There's quite a few things I can't do, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long time.

I know I've posted this before, but here's some pics of my setup (which needs upgrading) for inspiration:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    There's quite a few things I can't do, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long time.

I know I've posted this before, but here's some pics of my setup (which needs upgrading) for inspiration:

Not sure what I'm looking at, but that is insanely cool looking.

You need all that to play games?

-

OH man...hampur has gone full nerd.

And +1 to SS's rec for the SSD. Best money spent by far. If HDD vs SSD was a NASCAR race then SSD would win by 3 laps. Boot time with SSD is about 8 seconds from power on to ready....aannd it's completely silent..if that matters to you.

JW that's awesome. Guessing that huge thing in the middle "CNPS 10X?" is a CPU cooler? Is that a button and blue LED on it?

Only regret was not going with a modular PS. Made cable mgmt ugly.

Jets Insider VIP

Yes, now I do remember seeing this posted.
    How much do want to sell it for?

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post

-

That is my image server. The LEDs were added for awesomeness.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post

-
    That and to read the Pfail during Jets losses.

Quote Originally Posted by frostlich View Post

And +1 to SS's rec for the SSD. Best money spent by far. If HDD vs SSD was a NASCAR race then SSD would win by 3 laps. Boot time with SSD is about 8 seconds from power on to ready....aannd it's completely silent..if that matters to you.

JW that's awesome. Guessing that huge thing in the middle "CNPS 10X?" is a CPU cooler? Is that a button and blue LED on it?

Only regret was not going with a modular PS. Made cable mgmt ugly.
    Meh, modular isn't necessary for cable management. That PSU isn't fully modular and I did just fine. Truth be told, all it takes is patience and...well a lot of patience.

Yes, that is a CPU cooler. The button controls speed.

Yes, now I do remember seeing this posted.
    How much do want to sell it for?

Tell me when and I will hook you up.

Hall Of Fame
    That and to read the Pfail during Jets losses.

Meh, modular isn't necessary for cable management. That PSU isn't fully modular and I did just fine. Truth be told, all it takes is patience and...well a lot of patience.

Yes, that is a CPU cooler. The button controls speed.

<edit> never mind, air cooled I googled it. The cover threw me off there for a sec.

Is that a liquid cooled rig? I looked into liquid for my last build but eventually moved in a different direction.

Antec 1200 case?
    Last edited by EM31; 01-09-2013 at 10:28 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Is that a liquid cooled rig? I looked into liquid for my last build but eventually moved in a different direction.

Antec 1200 case?
    Nope, all air cooled. It's quiet enough and I don't do enough overclocking to warrant the need for a water-cooled rig.

Close, it's an Antec 902. Very happy with it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by frostlich View Post

I'm really shocked we don't have a 'You've Reached Hampur Tech Support, Please Hold Or GFY' Thread yet. Maybe we could use this for that. With all the gadgetry out now we could prolly use one. Mods?

LOL, if I walked in the door with that thing I'll probably be told to sleep on the couch with it. But there would be pr0n at least.

Jets Insider VIP
    Nice rig, Jetworks. Thought about doing that once, but decided not to since I'm the only one who sees it.

Fish - check to make sure what open slots you have (which version of PCi Express), and whether the card you want takes up 1 or 2 slots; power consumption (for on-board fans); and OS compatibility. Looks like you already tripped over the Windows XP RAM limit.

Hall Of Fame
    Nope, all air cooled. It's quiet enough and I don't do enough overclocking to warrant the need for a water-cooled rig.

Close, it's an Antec 902. Very happy with it.
    It is one thing to conceptually understand the benefits of a liquid cooled rig but they always seemed to me like attaching the equivalent of a colostomy bag to your PC.

In any event I have used the original Antec 900 twice before and my current gaming rig (RFactor2 and IRacing) is an Antec 1100

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    Nice rig, Jetworks. Thought about doing that once, but decided not to since I'm the only one who sees it.
    Thanks Q! Same for me, but it's a bit of an OCD thing for me as it was a selling point for my business back then (attention to detail).

It is one thing to conceptually understand the benefits of a liquid cooled rig but they always seemed to me like attaching the equivalent of a colostomy bag to your PC.

In any event I have used the original Antec 900 twice before and my current gaming rig (RFactor2 and IRacing) is an Antec 1100
    I hear you, but with the new self-enclosed systems, it's a viable option. They're almost idiot-proof.

Jets Insider VIP

Aye, liquids and electronics to not mix. Never understood what the hell you would be running that would need that kind of coolant...except maybe a car...

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Come on dude. Do it right.

2nd Latest ASUS Intel motherboard.
    Latest Intel model quad core, middle model. (Usually they come in 3 models/Hz)
    16gb RAM kit.
    Windows 7 64bit.
    256GIG Solid State Hard Drive.
    Last years best nvidia/geforce graphics card.

That's how you build a powerful PC on a budget. Never buy the latest and greatest. Always buy what the n3rds already have. You'll never out-game them anyway. Might as well have the setup they are upgrading from at a reasonable price and then you get a PC that you don't have to rebuild for another 7 years.
    This right here explained everything. About your life not computers

Hall Of Fame
    Aye, liquids and electronics to not mix. Never understood what the hell you would be running that would need that kind of coolant...except maybe a car...
    Fishooked

Typically as Jetworks indicates there is only a need for a super super cooling solution if you intend to run your computer faster than the speed it is rated for (overclocking). Overclocked CPUs can run very hot and can also lead to somewhat unstable systems (depends on the CPU mostly). Different CPUs in the same batch can have very different overclocking profiles. Given the right CPU, motherboard and cooling configuration however overclocking is one way to get a pretty impressive boost in system overall performance for little to no additional cost.

There is a whole branch of the system building family that is dedicated to these kinds of pursuits.

Jetworks,

Yes I tried a self contained supposedly idiot proof solution. This one actually and it was still problematic to find a spot to mount it inside even the largest of cases. (outside the case = colostomy bag from my POV). Maybe I got a dodgy unit but the fans, even custom purchased super quiet ones were very noisy in my Antec 1100.

This woman would not date a PC Nerd.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

There's something about those nostrils...

Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    There's something about those nostrils...
    She's definitely a Jets fan... Total babe...

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    This woman would not date a PC Nerd.

Puffy nips.