View Poll Results: Does our new OC need to be Rex's eventual replacement?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 25.00%
  • No

12 75.00%

Thread: Does our new OC need to become our next HC?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Does our new OC need to become our next HC?

We're going on our 3 OC in 3 years. I think it's a must that our next OC is Rex's eventual replacement.

There is a great chance this is Rex's last year. So if he's fired next season, we are either going on our 4th OC in 4 years. Or the new HC will be saddled with the current OC and wont be able to bring in his own guy. Ala Schotty situation.

So IMO, our next OC should be our next HC to avoid this mess.

Kinda hard to answer since we, you know...don't have an OC.

are you sure

Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    We're going on our 3 OC in 3 years. I think it's a must that our next OC is Rex's eventual replacement.

There is a great chance this is Rex's last year. So if he's fired next season, we are either going on our 4th OC in 4 years. Or the new HC will be saddled with the current OC and wont be able to bring in his own guy. Ala Schotty situation.

So IMO, our next OC should be our next HC to avoid this mess.
    Why are you and others so convinced that Rex will be fired next year. If you think this is some sort of plan, why not fire him now with everybody else

Hall Of Fame
    I don't know why people think this is an inevitability. Woody has never hired an offensive-minded HC.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Kinda hard to answer since we, you know...don't have an OC.
    Well that's my point. I think it's really important that this hire can eventually become our HC. Or we are looking at 1 of 2 bad situations.

1. 4th offensive coordinator in 4 years.

2. New HC will be stuck with current OC. It wont be his guy and always becomes an issue at some point.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    Why are you and others so convinced that Rex will be fired next year. If you think this is some sort of plan, why not fire him now with everybody else
    It's been documented that the new GM will have to give Rex at least 1 year. In most situations like this in the past the HC is one and done. Most likely we win 4-6 games next year and Rex is canned.

Veteran
    That would be a big hell no to Norv Turner and Cam Cameron cause they're of the Wade Philips, Mike Mularkey ilk.They have no business being coordinators.

Ken Whisenhunt maybe. Pat Shurmur looks like he's in the same company as those above. Sparano is gone so who's left? So who comes in and runs the system which by all accounts would not be the West Coast, or the Shanahan one gap, zone blocking style so it would have to be someone who's working in the Earhart system.

So who's that guy?

I strongly disagree

Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    It's been documented that the new GM will have to give Rex at least 1 year. In most situations like this in the past the HC is one and done. Most likely we win 4-6 games next year and Rex is canned.
    Rex will receive an extension, the new GM realizes that the key decisions that led to this were tanny's doing.When i read what you and others say, its like we've been a 1-15 team since Ryan took over.It hasn't been all bad guys

Charlie weiss

Quote Originally Posted by I against I View Post
    That would be a big hell no to Norv Turner and Cam Cameron cause they're of the Wade Philips, Mike Mularkey ilk.They have no business being coordinators.

Ken Whisenhunt maybe. Pat Shurmur looks like he's in the same company as those above. Sparano is gone so who's left? So who comes in and runs the system which by all accounts would not be the West Coast, or the Shanahan one gap, zone blocking style so it would have to be someone who's working in the Earhart system.

So who's that guy?
    I think Charlie weiss could be a good candidate. Believes in a balanced offense, likes to spread the field.Lots of 3 and four wide receiver sets

Weis wouldn't be bad but he's not interested..

And I really don't know what they are going to do system-wise. We made a big switch in Schotty to Sparano so I wonder if they go back to Schotty's type of system with Norv.

There isn't many guys to look at who run that Earhart system outside of Sparano and Daboll. Maybe Haley if he gets let go. Whisenhunt probably runs it as well.

And the answer to the OP is absolutely not... Offensive coordinator and head coach are extremely different so it's way too much to assume that he'd be good at both.

Wow, hadn't heard that

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Weis wouldn't be bad but he's not interested..

And I really don't know what they are going to do system-wise. We made a big switch in Schotty to Sparano so I wonder if they go back to Schotty's type of system with Norv.

There isn't many guys to look at who run that Earhart system outside of Sparano and Daboll. Maybe Haley if he gets let go. Whisenhunt probably runs it as well.

And the answer to the OP is absolutely not... Offensive coordinator and head coach are extremely different so it's way too much to assume that he'd be good at both.
    I hadn't heard that Weiss wouldn't be interested, sorry to hear that

I'll pass on the OC/HC. D minded coaches are always better is.