Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL Woody Johnson & Rex Ryan Press Conference Thread 01.08.12 ***

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    BINGO!

And the cycle of stupidity by this franchise continues. Norv Turner? Maybe we can ask his wife to run our offense

Any offensive coordinator worth their salt is not going to agree to come to a team where he could be unemployed in 12 months. Turner will have his pick of jobs so why would he come here? To work with the superior offensive talent, no doubt.
    Any coach on any team could be unemployed in 12 months. There are no guarantees so not sure what point you're trying to make here.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Francesa just nailed it: After four years, Rex asked for a "do over".

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    And you know this HOW?

Like I posted earlier, WTF do you have against this guy?? NOTHING, that's what. And yet you so desperately want to blame someone for the teams faulters. Why not blame football people, and not the guy who writes checks?

Stop hanging on Rex Ryan's every word. What did you believe Rex when he said before last season that this was the best roster he's ever had? I'm not being sarcastic here or anything. I'm just thinking that is why you are so angry? You swallowed his words whole and now, because they didn't come true, you want someone to blame? There's NO logical reason for your hatred for Woody.
    His performance stinks. He in charge. He has failed. J&J would have shown him the door like his father. He is an active owner. He is not like Giants ownership or others. He got involved and he botched it.

And Rex is suddenly a good coach? YOU know that how. Sorry he is a buffoon of the first order. I mentioned in another thread that in the 50 years I have been following the NFL, I have only seen three buffoons of the magnitude of Rex. Jimmy Johnson, Barry Switzer and Mike Ditka. All three won SBs. Johnson and Switzer NCAA national championships and Ditka is in the HOF. They had the right to be a little "off". Rex has zero creds.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Francesa just nailed it: After four years, Rex asked for a "do over".
    4 years of school.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just listened to it and wow...so much babbling. So much talk. Fumbling for words. Not even sure it matters what was said.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    4 years of school.
    Of getting schooled.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    If you think Woody was able to make it "on his own" you are insane. He was born into infinite wealth. Whether he made a smart investment or not isnt the point, what people here dont like is that he has never actively managed an organization as large as the NYJ. See below:

Determined to chart his own course, Johnson never pursued a career at J&J. He worked just one summer there as a teen. Johnson instead made a series of investments in the cable-television business and real estate in Florida, where he grew up, before moving to New York in 1984. There he began managing investments for several family members. In the 1990s, after one of his three daughters was diagnosed with diabetes, he began raising money for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. And he founded the Alliance for Lupus Research in 1999 when another family member was struck with the disease.

The good news for us (yes a positive) is that Woody apparently knows his limitations which is why the search firm and Neil Glat are handilng the GM search. Then, the GM, along with Rex's input will find the OC and QB coach. The GM, Rex, OC, and Head of Scouting will then go about figuring out where we find a QB. This group will take its shot in 2013.

What you have above is a PROCESS which is what Woody is supposed to design. That is the way this works.

If it fails, then yes, we will need another HC and OC, but we will have the foundation in place with our GM hire to do that.
    We had an owner who was a self made killer Leon Hess. Nobody in the NFL was arguably more successful or as smart. Granted Hess gave the fans a cheap product at a cheap price and didn't really care about winning until he realized he might want to have a trophy as a legacy. When he got there he made one of the sickest moves anyone could imagine. He stole Parcells and BB right out from under Bob Kraft.

Fast forward to today. We have an owner who has an overpriced product that needs to win and we got today's press confrence. We don't have a GM in place and the idea that we are going to get the next great NFL GM is the same as saying I'm going to get rich buying a lottery ticket.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    I can't handle the strip anymore.
    It's tough. The seething, entitled anger here is so over-the-top it's almost funny.

Like listening to New York Radio of late, reading here is exposing the very worst of what New York sports has to offer. Self-loathing, childishness, anger, entitlement, voyerism, ignorance and more all on offer in spades.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Witz View Post
    Any coach on any team could be unemployed in 12 months. There are no guarantees so not sure what point you're trying to make here.
    We'll say you are Norv Turner and you get two offers to work as an offensive coordinator.

1: New England Patriots
    2: New York Jets

It is true that in both instances, there is a mathematical chance that you could be unemployeed after 12 months. But what destination offers you a better opportunity for success? And after having to uproot your life from San Diego wouldn't you be looking for a place that offers stability too?

The point is not all situations are equal and that is true in almost any job opportunity.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chops44 View Post
    2- Rex didn't get extended. What decent o-mind will enter a lame duck situation with a crap QB?
    a gm with a negative approach would think this way. a good gm would look at this situation and say, wow, this team wants me to fix this offense, draft a new qb, get some playmakers, and sanchez is gone next year anyway.

and most gm openings are open, b/c the team has no qb. you don't see the giants, patriots, redskins, packers, saints, falcons, steelers or colts gm jobs open, do you?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    We'll say you are Norv Turner and you get two offers to work as an offensive coordinator.

1: New England Patriots
    2: New York Jets

It is true that in both instances, there is a mathematical chance that you could be unemployeed after 12 months. But what destination offers you a better opportunity for success? And after having to uproot your life from San Diego wouldn't you be looking for a place that offers stability too?
    Dallas..

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenGeek View Post
    I agree with all the posters who have thanked SAR.
    The continual updates on the top post were a lot of work and much appreciated!
    I was watching the press conference and got interrupted by the wife, when I came back the new conference was no long available. But SAR saved the day.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    His performance stinks. He in charge. He has failed. J&J would have shown him the door like his father. He is an active owner. He is not like Giants ownership or others. He got involved and he botched it.

And Rex is suddenly a good coach? YOU know that how. Sorry he is a buffoon of the first order. I mentioned in another thread that in the 50 years I have been following the NFL, I have only seen three buffoons of the magnitude of Rex. Jimmy Johnson, Barry Switzer and Mike Ditka. All three won SBs. Johnson and Switzer NCAA national championships and Ditka is in the HOF. They had the right to be a little "off". Rex has zero creds.
    How exactly has he failed? People seriously have no concept of what they're talking about.

In the four years since Rex has been coach, the Jets have the 13th most wins in the league (19 other teams had fewer wins during this timeframe) and the Jets did make it to the playoffs in 2 of those 4 years (there were 9 teams that didn't make it at all and 8 that only made it once).

At the end of the day, the only result that matters is winning and from what has been presented over these past four years, we've done a heck of a lot better than a majority of the teams in the league.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I listened to it.

Sounded like this to me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRMBxnxWiNQ

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    It's tough. The seething, entitled anger here is so over-the-top it's almost funny.

Like listening to New York Radio of late, reading here is exposing the very worst of what New York sports has to offer. Self-loathing, childishness, anger, entitlement, voyerism, ignorance and more all on offer in spades.
    When I bought a pair of 200 dollar seats to go to see the Mets at their new stadium and couldn't see a double into the right field corner I felt entitled, entitled to never go back to there again.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    We had an owner who was a self made killer Leon Hess. Nobody in the NFL was arguably more successful or as smart. Granted Hess gave the fans a cheap product at a cheap price and didn't really care about winning until he realized he might want to have a trophy as a legacy. When he got there he made one of the sickest moves anyone could imagine. He stole Parcells and BB right out from under Bob Kraft.

Fast forward to today. We have an owner who has an overpriced product that needs to win and we got today's press confrence. We don't have a GM in place and the idea that we are going to get the next great NFL GM is the same as saying I'm going to get rich buying a lottery ticket.
    Im sorry but the end of your response was completely absurd.

What should woody be doing right now that he isnt?

Why cant we have a good GM come here?

Your buying a lotto ticket would make sense if you hired a search firm to analzye 10 combinations of numbers, interviewed them, and then made a choice.

We dont have a GM because you dont rush to hire someone in this situation....we have guys we like that we hired an expert to interview, what more do you want?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    a gm with a negative approach would think this way. a good gm would look at this situation and say, wow, this team wants me to fix this offense, draft a new qb, get some playmakers, and sanchez is gone next year anyway.

and most gm openings are open, b/c the team has no qb. you don't see the giants, patriots, redskins, packers, saints, falcons, steelers or colts gm jobs open, do you?
    A realistic GM would say:

I'm guaranteed at least 2 possibly three years here no matter how bad I am because even an idiot like Woody Johnson can't fire me until I bring my guy in to coach.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Dallas..
    If Norv Turner comes to the Jets Savage Jrs. will remember him the way you remember Paul Hackett.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    Rex is a great coach. Glad we are keeping him.

If I told you 4 years ago (before Rex) that the next coach we hired would coach the Jets into playing in 2 AFC Championship games, finish 1,3,5 and 8th on defense and beat the Pats in the playoffs in Foxborough…

You wouldn’t sign on?

Would anyone ever believe that this same coach did all of this with the worst starting QB in the league???

I seem to recall a time that some knee jerk reacting Giants fans also wanted to fire their HOF coach.

Replace Sanchez with a real NFL QB and watch how much better this team becomes overnight.
    +1000
    Even though Rex is a speaking nightmare, he can coach up a D. Now he needs to find his balance on the other side of the ball. I think Norv will be that guy if Rex gets his way.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post

Dont forget....whoever we hire will only be getting approximately a $1-1.5 million dollar raise per year for the next 3 years.

Im sure they will all turn it down because Rex is here