Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL Woody Johnson & Rex Ryan Press Conference Thread 01.08.12 ***

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    If he was going to hire Scott Cohen from the outset then he would only need to interview two candidates. Cohen and the Rooney Rule candidate.

The pieces don't fit.
    Sure it does - if Cohen is the best guy for the job. The point of hiring an outside firm is that they lack any bias towards inside or outside candidates. As long as Cohen isn't handed the job because he's an insider, the process worked.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    2 good years, 2 bad years.

5th year will decide Rex's fate with the team.

simple enough?
    thats fair, but the first 2 are based on teams and talent he inherited vs his last 2 which has his fingerprints all over it.

I like Rex, as a JETS fan i want them to succeed and win. Im getting old and tired of being the butt of a joke amongst my friends when it comes time to my football alliance. I want to WIN!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Here is the Mangini Podcast for those who care to listen to it

http://espn.go.com/new-york/radio/archive?id=7858183

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    With a healthy, well-functioning organization, that would be the scenario. But that's not what Woody just told the fans.

According to Woody, Rex doesn't need to make the playoffs in 2013. In essence, Woody has given Rex a pass for the next 3-5 years.
    Given what this roster will look like, demanding the playoffs from Rex next year makes as much sense as demanding it from Andy Reid in KC. If I'm the GM of the team, the first thing - the very first thing - I do is call Rex in for a meeting, and make the following points:

1) This team cannot realistically compete for a superbowl in 2013.

2) This team can be in position to make a run in 2014 and beyond

3) That can only happen if we don't sacrifice part of the future to "win now"

4) I will be making personnel moves to maximize our chances of success in 2014 and beyond, and that will hurt our team in 2013.

5) Given that, I won't be judging you on whether the team makes the playoffs, or even wins more games than this year.

6) I will be judging you based on the following things: Preparation, strategy, commitment, buy-in from the players, game management, and exceeding reasonable expectations. Do that, and you have a job here long term

Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    Given what this roster will look like, demanding the playoffs from Rex next year makes as much sense as demanding it from Andy Reid in KC. If I'm the GM of the team, the first thing - the very first thing - I do is call Rex in for a meeting, and make the following points:

1) This team cannot realistically compete for a superbowl in 2013.

2) This team can be in position to make a run in 2014 and beyond

3) That can only happen if we don't sacrifice part of the future to "win now"

4) I will be making personnel moves to maximize our chances of success in 2014 and beyond, and that will hurt our team in 2013.

5) Given that, I won't be judging you on whether the team makes the playoffs, or even wins more games than this year.

6) I will be judging you based on the following things: Preparation, strategy, commitment, buy-in from the players, game management, and exceeding reasonable expectations. Do that, and you have a job here long term
    Listening to Woody today, I don't think the new GM will be judging Rex on anything. Woody made it clear that Rex is safe for the foreseeable future, no matter the results. Rex' fate rests firmly with Woody, not the new "gelded" GM.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    2 good years, 2 bad years.

5th year will decide Rex's fate with the team.

simple enough?
    Apologies.

I'm the eejit. Misread your post. Thought you said Woody is giving Rex a pass for the NEXT 2 years based on the first 2 years.

My anger is making it hard to read.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Rex Ryan is basically running our franchise. When you have say in who you hire that means you have power over him. It's the way it is.

We already know that Rex has made a lot of decissions on players and coaches. And he has failed in many of these.

Rex just failed miseralbly in picking Sparano. Now Rex is going to get to have say in our GM and next OC?

What we learned today is that Rex has more say and power over our next GM and is basically running our team.

Not good!

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    I'll stand by my words. Even if we win two games next year, Woody will stand behind Rex and announce him as our HC for 2014.
    Agree to disagree.

I'm quite confident that if Rex is not at the least a winning coach in 2013, he will be terminated.

I actually have faith that if Rex is not a winning, playoff bound, playoff game winning coach in 2013, he will be terminated.

Guess we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    Rex Ryan is basically running our franchise. When you have say in who you hire that means you have power over him. It's the way it is.

We already know that Rex has made a lot of decissions on players and coaches. And he has failed in many of these.

Rex just failed miseralbly in picking Sparano. Now Rex is going to get to have say in our GM and next OC?

What we learned today is that Rex has more say and power over our next GM and is basically running our team.

Not good!
    Someone gets it.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Someone gets it.
    No he doesn't. Its not OUR team. Its WOODY's team.

You want to make decisions. Buy the team from him

JI fundraiser to help purchase the team from Woody, anyone?

Woody has every right to make the decisions. Like you said, it's his team.

That still doesn't mean they are the right ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Agree to disagree.

I'm quite confident that if Rex is not at the least a winning coach in 2013, he will be terminated.

I actually have faith that if Rex is not a winning, playoff bound, playoff game winning coach in 2013, he will be terminated.

Guess we'll see.
    Put me down for the middle position: Rex keeps his job as long as he does as well as or better than expected given the state of the team next year. If Mark Sanchez and Matt Moore are having a training camp battle for the starting job, "playoffs or we fire you" is an idiotic ultimatum that is the equivalent of firing the guy today. On the other hand, with that defense, 2-14 is unacceptable.

What gets Rex fired depends on the team he is handed in 6 months.

Rookie

Or we can stop buying tickets and laugh at him instead.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Not good!
    Was it worse when Parcells really had all the power?? He made some boneheaded moves and killed the cap..

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    JI fundraiser to help purchase the team from Woody, anyone?
    Geez... you think the Jets are dysfunctional now...?

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Was it worse when Parcells really had all the power?? He made some boneheaded moves and killed the cap..
    Who do you want as HC?

Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    Put me down for the middle position: Rex keeps his job as long as he does as well as or better than expected given the state of the team next year. If Mark Sanchez and Matt Moore are having a training camp battle for the starting job, "playoffs or we fire you" is an idiotic ultimatum that is the equivalent of firing the guy today. On the other hand, with that defense, 2-14 is unacceptable.

What gets Rex fired depends on the team he is handed in 6 months.
    Fair post.

Jets Insider VIP
    I just heard on Sirius radio that SCOTT COHEN is gaining much support to be the new GM. He is currently our asst GM. If that happens REX will be running the program with support of WOODY. That means the circus will go on and on! I hated the presser and this rumor I heard on Sirius. What a joke! its the good ole boy network at its worst!

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Rex Ryan is basically running our franchise.
    We are in huge trouble.

Francesa's show today is basically a wake for the New York Jets franchise. Fan after fan calling in, saying how they cannot believe Rex Ryan survived this and actually thrives in this.

SAR I