Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL Woody Johnson & Rex Ryan Press Conference Thread 01.08.12 ***

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

*** OFFICIAL Woody Johnson & Rex Ryan Press Conference Thread 01.08.13 ***

* * * I'll follow the presser and post relevant comments here on Post #1 as it progresses * * * Hit REFRESH to See Updates * * *

Woody: "This has been a very tough year for all of us. I want to make an apology, I wanted to wait to speak to you and probably should have gotten back to you earlier. This delay is not on the coach."

W: "I have a lot of respect for Mike Tannenbaum but felt we had to go in a different direction. I will never say anything negative about Mike because the positives outweigh the negatives."

W: "I told Rex Ryan how much I value his contribution to the team. My statement last week I believe in, I believe he has a rare ability as a leader, his specific skill on defense, and on offense and special teams....he's learned a lot and has great instinct."

W: "Korn/Ferry and Jed will organize this process and are in the process of interviewing candidates. I won't discuss the candidates, but we are talking to a lot of talented candidates."

Rex: "First off, with Mike leaving the organization personally I'd like to thank him for all the blood sweat and tears that he poured into it. We made all our decisions together, all Jets decisions, not all right, but I appreciate all he did."

R: "I'm going to tell you this- I am approaching this day like it's the first day, period. And my first day as a head coach. I now have 4 years of experience but the same challenge I took years ago I am going to move forward with. This is it, this is a new chance for me and that's how I am approaching it. It's a beginning, not an end."

R: "Right now we are looking for two coordinators. We are filling the ST job with Ben Kadwika (spelling?) Mike Pettine is interviewing with the Bills and will not return, we wish him the best unless he goes to Buffalo. Last night, after thinking for a long time, I decided to let Tony Sparano go."

R: "We have a lot of talent on offense but had a lot of injuries and understand what Tony dealt with, he's a tremendous coach, but I want to go in a different direction. Where I come up short over 4 years is that I don't think I've done as good enough a job of implementing who I am throughout this team. I want a physical, aggressive, attack style of football team, unpredictible in all three phases. I don't think I've done a good enough job of getting that through to the entire football team."

R: "When we look for the search for a new OC I want someone with the same belief and same unpredictible attack ability as I would have as a defensive guy. As a HC that's what I want. When I first got here I said I wanted an all-weather offense. The Ground and Pound was only for Year 1 because that fit our football team. I want to attack now, I want to run something different."

R: "Everything I'm looking for if it lines up accordingly I am going to lean on the GM and get his input on decisions that we make going forward. I think we have a lot of good candidates internally, especially on D, but I think we have internal candidates and may announce something later today."

Questions now....

R: On Mark Sanchez "We are working on an OC and a new GM and we'll see what happens. Let's get those in place before we ask questions about players."

W: On Rex as prerequisite: "Yes, any GM must want Rex as our HC. Rex is part of the process of choosing a new GM."

R: Working with new GM: "(On Lame Duck status) Rich, I think I'll have the same agenda as the new GM which is to win. I look at this as a new beginning, just as it is with the new GM and that's how I'm approaching it."

R: On Tebow not being used, future: "It's way to early to say what any of our player's futures are, we need an O system first with a new OC and Tim is under contract."

W: On Tebow for three years: "We'll make that decision in the future with our new GM and OC."

R: On whether he's being fired next year: "Gary, I look at this as a new beginning, that's how I approach it. I'm going to attack it. I'm no different than 31 others, I have to prove myself."

R: On why after 4 years you haven't made an imprint on offense: "That's a great question and that's where I've come up short. When I talk about an all-weather offense that's what I wanted but Ground & Pound carried over too long as that was a Year 1 strategy that went on for too long."

R: Same question, why now if not for last 4 years: "That's why Woody hired me. I failed at this at this point but have confidence that I will succeed."

W: What are you looking for in a new GM: "....empty answer, basically no comment"

R: Mark Sanchez future: "Obviously, whoever the OC is his system and other things will factor into whether he's our quarterback. Money will not be a consideration. We will play the player we think gives us the best chance to win.

W: Same question: "I agree. We are looking for the best player at the start of the preseason and season."

W/R: So the starting QB position is wide open: "Yes."

W: Have you created Rex as a lame duck, must he make playoffs: "No, I have confidence in Rex, and I see that Rex recognizes what he's done that's wrong and that's what impresses me in him as a leader is that I trust him and I've seen him lead this team. Rex as a head coach, as a leader, as a motivator, as a playcaller, he's capable of doing all these things."

W: Has keeping Rex limited your GM search: "No, I think they appreciate him as a coach and some may view that as a relief that they don't have that job to fill."

R: You said the same thing last year with Tony, what changed: "I didn't miscalculate when I hired him, I think I spoke of running the football and that was based on our personnel. That's going to change, the kind of attack and unpredictable style of defense has to be filtered throughout the football team. Before maybe I misjudged that G&P philosophy and bought into that more than I should have."

R: Super Bowl is at MetLife is there enough talent on this team to get there: "Hiring new OC and GM....non answer....certainly having that at our stadium there's not a coach in this world that doesn't want to get there and you're looking at one of them."

R: Mike came from Baltimore, no job yet, what happened: "We had some great candid conversations and I'm not going to share specifics, but Mike Pettine is a guy that I have a ton of respect for and we spent 10 years together. I think it's when Mike and I talk he's going to get several opportunities out there. Talk to Mike about that."

W: Will GM have control on players: "Yes, the GM picks the players the HC picks the coaches."

W: What do you say to season ticket holders: "We try our best to put a winning team on the field, you know, if you surround yourself with smart people and people who are smart in a specific area and then work hard and focus on each area you are going to succeed."

W: Did you consider terminating Rex because after 4 years he admits he's still not a complete HC: "No, I never considered that. Because my confidence in him as a coach gives me confidence to keep him as a coach. Having been in business and football for quite a while now you can see talent when you see it and there were extenuating circumstances. Rex Ryan is perfect for the New York Jets. He's like a New York Jets fan in that respect. He's 100% into it and committed to it. I'm completely happy with Rex Ryan as coach."

R: Were you concerned about getting fired: "Yes I was because the year we had was nowhere near where we expected."

W: When you look at your roster can cap situation and talent how realistic that you can turn this around in a year or so: "No one will try harder to do that. And there are some obvious things we can do to get the cap down so the GM can do what he needs to do. As an owner and as a fan we are going to try 100% to get this team back on track."

W: How close are to you in getting a GM when there are a lot of openings: "We are working hard."

R: On the tattoo: "I've had it for three years now, I know what you're thinking. If Sanchez doesn't play well that number on that jersey is changing. My wife is the most beautiful woman in the world."

R: Fans are upset: "With fans you want to identify with your organization. When W brought me in to be the HC I told him what my vision for what the team was. In some aspects I lived up to it, but as a whole we haven't done that consistently. I would tell the fans that we're going to have a team that is not bullied or embarrassed. That happened last year, but not next year. We have to stand for something. We are going to attack you on offense, defense, and special teams. That's my responsibility."

W: Is Rex's future in the hands of the new GM and are you going to give Rex a new contract "Gary, I don't discuss contracts, but my confidence in Rex I've discussed many times, it's very important for the GM to have a good relationship with Rex. That's all I'm going to say on that. We have all the pieces to put something great on the field."

W: Fans defaulting on PSL's: "Our fans are very passionate, I don't blame them frankly, better than having apathetic fans, they do care and we want them to care and I listen to them and we talk with them. We want to produce something better. That's why we are making changes. You can talk to our legal department about fans defaulting on PSL's."

W: Is the brand tarnished because of the circus nonsense: "No, we are trying to be a good franchise and a good brand because it's the fans brand. We are focused on building for the long term and for sustained success. We fell short this year, that's sports, that happens. Our fans will stick with us because our fans love our team and we work for the fans."

END OF CONFERENCE

SAR I
    Last edited by SAR I; 01-08-2013 at 11:42 AM.

What time is it supposed to start?

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    What time is it supposed to start?
    11:00 on the nose. SNY covering it live as is WFAN on the radio.

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    11:00 on the nose. SNY covering it live as is WFAN on the radio.

SAR I
    The suspense is killing me. I hope it lasts.

Just saw the conference room. Only two chairs. We can quiet down the "surprise GM appearance" rumors now.

As long as the GM is a football man with extensive background in scouting ect. I'm all for it no matter who they pick.
    Like I said before the draft is also about getting lucky, but the Jets have passed up too many great players that the fans would have picked had they been in charge.

The most difficult thing for the new GM is what to do about the most important position on the field, QB.
    Personally, I don't think I could stomach another season of Sanchez. Between his accuracy problems & lack of leadership, that ship has sailed. If your team mates don't believe in you, the writings on the wall. The guy just hasn't matured & has become the sulkmaster.

Hall Of Fame
    This will get delayed 30 mins at least. The press will be pissed off and tweeting about professionalism. The irony.

Just saw the conference room. Only two chairs. We can quiet down the "surprise GM appearance" rumors now.
    or maybe they have a grand entrance for him to bring him into this circus. Maybe he comes in on an elephant.

Quote Originally Posted by N Y J View Post
    or maybe they have a grand entrance for him to bring him into this circus. Maybe he comes in on an elephant.
    Bet he comes in koolaid man style.

OHHHHH, YEAH!

Over and under on how many minutes before the word "tattoo" gets spoken.
    Rex won't want to go there....but since he has no filter, he can't help himself.

3 minutes

If Rex does make it out of his opening statement without mentioning "tattoo", how many questions will it take before a reporter grills him on said tattoo?

7 questions in

OHHHHH, YEAH!
    that would rejuvenate my energy for this team.

Maybe Rex was fired, and Woody and Caldwell will be sitting in those chairs.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    This will get delayed 30 mins at least. The press will be pissed off and tweeting about professionalism. The irony.
    I have to agree with this. They NEVER start their pressers on time. And that to me is embarrassing. That's one thing that is inexcusable... punctuality. You put off the vibe that your time is more important.

Quote Originally Posted by mikekc View Post
    Maybe Rex was fired, and Woody and Caldwell will be sitting in those chairs.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HhfhAfz9dE

OHHHHH, YEAH!
    With Woody dressed as Mr. Peanut.

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    With Woody dressed as Mr. Peanut.

Woody is too thug life for those threads.

All Pro
    Lots of hype built for this, and nothing of importance will be said.

The story of Jets press conferences.

All Pro
    sure, just like those Bahamian weather updates

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    * * * I'll follow the presser and post relevant comments here on Post #1 as it progresses * * *

Begins at 11:00 AM EST

SAR I
    Will you also be providing commentary?

Hall Of Fame
    Over/Under on how many times Rex says "and all that kind of stuff" ??