Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maybe Sanchez has Some Life Left

Maybe Sanchez has Some Life Left

This is reprint of a story from today's Newsday. While I am not declaring it to foretell the future, it does give some hope to an impossible cap situation and the hope for a QB coach who can breathe new life to what was "The Sanchize"

"Not yet the time to give up on Sanchez

January 7, 2013 BY CODY DERESPINA
    The season began for Mark Sanchez with Tim Tebow breathing down his neck. Near the end, Sanchez was benched for the team's third-string quarterback. In between he was booed and ridiculed during a campaign that saw him throw 13 touchdowns and 18 interceptions and “lead” a lethargic offense.

But it might be time to give Sanchez another chance. As history shows, if New York got rid of every quarterback with poor numbers during his first four seasons, there'd be less Lombardi Trophies in town.

There are 17 quarterbacks in NFL history that have made at least 50 starts while posting a completion percentage under 56 percent during their first four seasons. The durable Sanchez, who was thrown into the fire right away, leads the list with 62 starts (55.1 percent completion percentage). But there are some other notable names:

Player Games Starts Comp Pct. TD INT Rating Mark Sanchez 62 62 55.1 68 69 71.7 John Elway 58 56 54 66 65 71.9 Eli Manning 57 55 54.7 77 64 73.4 Joe Namath 55 51 50 78 87 69.2

Of this quarterback quartet, Sanchez has played in the most games, started the most games and has the highest completion percentage through his first four seasons. He's thrown one more interception than touchdown, but that's nothing compared to the nine more interceptions than touchdowns that Namath – a frequent Sanchez critic – threw. Sanchez's passer rating is just 0.2 less than Elway's at the same point in his career.

Of course, not all cases are created equal. Names like Joey Harrington also litter the list. But it might still be too soon to tell if Sanchez is forgettable or fixable."
    Last edited by TheSage; 01-08-2013 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Enter quote

SIIIGGGGGHHHH

No he is done here!

He has to be!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    No

Hall Of Fame
    No need to over analyze this.

He has $17MM (dead money) reasons why he will be on the team next year.

Doesn't mean they want him or he should be here.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    No
    Maybe.

SAR I

I do think Sanchez can turn it around one day, but he needs a total re-booting -- mentally and physically. And NY is not the place for him. I wish he would get his head straight and go "blue collar" on us, like his family seems to be.

Jets Insider VIP
    Even if Sanchez wins any competition at QB he will be on a short leach. If we get Warmack at Guard and expect the RT job to be better, he may actually play more composed. Who knows

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Maybe.

SAR I
    I can't take another down of Sanchez behind center.

Just can't.

Caldwell is a guy who knows the importance of a good young QB and Sanchez sure as sh*t doesn't fit the bill.

Even if Sanchez is retained thanks to his abortion of a contract, I guarantee we bring in a veteran QB or draft a rookie within the first 3 rounds. Hell, we might do both.

Different game today with all of the skewed rules towards the offense now. If the Jets want to keep trying with Mark, be my guest. I'm sure 31 other teams are fine with that idea.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    How many times do we have to witness the utter ineptness that is Mark Sanchez until some of you admit it's time to turn the page?

Expecting Sanchez to be anything more than he already is at this point is nothing but blind hope.

Yeah, it certainly seemed that way at the end of last season

People need to give up the Eli comparisons. In Eli's 4th season, he was not elite or great, but he was certainly not the worst QB in football and I also remember him ending that season with a SB ring.

I love it when people cherry pick the worst stats from a handful of great QB's and ignore the legions of QB's with horrid stats that never amounted to anything other than a passing....oh there is also a Harrington.

Stats don't tell the tale of Mark Sanchez, watching him play tells the tale. All the plays when the oline blocked well, the oc called a good play, the receiver ran a good pattern and was open and Sanchez either fails to see the open target or makes a very bad throw. This is aside from all the disaster turnover plays. Since he came into the league he simply misses out on far far too many good opportunities and I don't see this getting better.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSage View Post
    This is reprint of a story from today's Newsday. While I am not declaring it to foretell the future, it does give some hope to an impossible cap situation and the hope for a QB coach who can breathe new life to what was "The Sanchize"

"Not yet the time to give up on Sanchez

January 7, 2013 BY CODY DERESPINA
    The season began for Mark Sanchez with Tim Tebow breathing down his neck. Near the end, Sanchez was benched for the team's third-string quarterback. In between he was booed and ridiculed during a campaign that saw him throw 13 touchdowns and 18 interceptions and “lead” a lethargic offense.

But it might be time to give Sanchez another chance. As history shows, if New York got rid of every quarterback with poor numbers during his first four seasons, there'd be less Lombardi Trophies in town.

There are 17 quarterbacks in NFL history that have made at least 50 starts while posting a completion percentage under 56 percent during their first four seasons. The durable Sanchez, who was thrown into the fire right away, leads the list with 62 starts (55.1 percent completion percentage). But there are some other notable names:

Player Games Starts Comp Pct. TD INT Rating Mark Sanchez 62 62 55.1 68 69 71.7 John Elway 58 56 54 66 65 71.9 Eli Manning 57 55 54.7 77 64 73.4 Joe Namath 55 51 50 78 87 69.2

Of this quarterback quartet, Sanchez has played in the most games, started the most games and has the highest completion percentage through his first four seasons. He's thrown one more interception than touchdown, but that's nothing compared to the nine more interceptions than touchdowns that Namath – a frequent Sanchez critic – threw. Sanchez's passer rating is just 0.2 less than Elway's at the same point in his career.

Of course, not all cases are created equal. Names like Joey Harrington also litter the list. But it might still be too soon to tell if Sanchez is forgettable or fixable."
    when will it end? lol.. Hes terrible, how many new starting qbs were they were this year? 3 outstanding rookies.. plus maybe another 2 who are light years ahead of Sanchez. We may not get as lucky to get a stud qb, but we will take the left overs of the teams that do and will have a better qb there is NO WAY Mark is here past next year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    Different game today with all of the skewed rules towards the offense now. If the Jets want to keep trying with Mark, be my guest. I'm sure 31 other teams are fine with that idea.
    I can't disagree with you but I just wanted to say that when the Jets played Houston JJ Watt terrified Mark. He batted down a lotof his passes and put him on his ass with terrific impact. When Houston played Green Bay the Offense took every opportunity to knock JJ Watt around with extraneous pushes and hits. I saw that and said yeah that's the way to send a message to your QB that he was going to be protected.

We need to get that mentality on our Offense. Once we do we will win a lot more games regardless of QB.

All League
    Due to his contract, we are stuck with Sanchez on the roster. If the team can't find a better guy to play qb, then it will be Sanchez. You can hate it all you want, but due to his contract he will be here and he might end up starting.

Sanchez isn't a viable NFL QB. It's established. Like Harrington, Couch, and multiple other busts in history.

He's a bust. You don't draft QBs out of USC, they almost always bust.

If the new GM drafts Barkley then lol.

He certainly has some turnovers left if he keeps playing.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    I would love to see him do a 360.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    I would love to see him do a 360.
    Vinny finally got it in his 10th year.. Sanchez has zero confidence at this point and would take some major work to get him right..

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Vinny finally got it in his 10th year.. Sanchez has zero confidence at this point and would take some major work to get him right..
    When did Vinny win the SB?