Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: QueensJetsFan's Gripes About Woody Johnson Pile-On Thread

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

QueensJetsFan's Gripes About Woody Johnson Pile-On Thread

It is well known that I'm not a big fan. I have constantly said he is in over his head and an incompetent in this job. I have taken a lot of grief over my vehement opposition to us joining a shared stadium with the Giants in NJ on this board. Yes, I believe that is Woody's original sin, but let's stay away from that here.

I don't see how anybody who heard Woody today can say that I was wrong in my assessment about him. The Jets are doomed as long as Woody stays the owner. How sad!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Queens Jet Fan View Post
    The Jets are doomed

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm very happy with woody right now. The guy has tremendous guts to stick with Rex and do what he thinks is right despite the fact he will be torn apart by the media and fans.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    It is well known that I'm not a big fan. I have constantly said he is in over his head and an incompetent in this job. I have taken a lot of grief over my vehement opposition to us joining a shared stadium with the Giants in NJ on this board. Yes, I believe that is Woody's original sin, but let's stay away from that here.

I don't see how anybody who heard Woody today can say that I was wrong in my assessment about him. The Jets are doomed as long as Woody stays the owner. How sad!
    I'm not a huge fan of Woody either, but do we really have to love ownership? Is that a prerequisite for a winning team? After all, I'm an Islanders fan and they've had horrible ownership over the last 25 years and it hasn't really hurt......wait, hold on a sec....

what was I saying?

Well, bad example. But, as a Mets fan, I don't love the ownership but they've been really.....Uh, duh what?

Nevermind.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't agree with you. Rex is a good HC. This franchise needs a strong personnel guy at GM. The problem this season wasn't coaching it was offensive personal, or the lack thereof.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of Woody either, but do we really have to love ownership? Is that a prerequisite for a winning team? After all, I'm an Islanders fan and they've had horrible ownership over the last 25 years and it hasn't really hurt......wait, hold on a sec....

what was I saying?

Well, bad example. But, as a Mets fan, I don't love the ownership but they've been really.....Uh, duh what?

Nevermind.
    Crash we are fans of the same team and I hear you. There was never a bigger Islander fan then me. When they hired Garth Snow as GM and gave a 15 year contract to an injury prone goalie yes, I started to tune them out and don't go any more.

I was Met STHer through the first season in Citi. When I saw the direction the team was going I gave them up. I'm not talking about losing seasons. Sadly I am used to that. I'm talking of not be willing to or able to spend money on the team.

So yes I would say the owners of the Mets and Islanders have made a difference in my degree of fandom.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    I don't agree with you. Rex is a good HC. This franchise needs a strong personnel guy at GM. The problem this season wasn't coaching it was offensive personal, or the lack thereof.
    Do you not think the same buffoon who had input into drafting Vlad Ducasse and Kyle Wilson will have as much or more input into personnel decisions in the coming years?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    And you believe that Rex didn't have major input into who the offensive personnel was?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    Do you not think the same buffoon who had input into drafting Vlad Ducasse and Kyle Wilson will have as much or more input into personnel decisions in the coming years?
    We need an individual with a strong personnel background as GM.

The Jets were the only team in the NFL not to allow a 100 yard game against them by a receiver. Wilson is not a bad CB.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    On the contrary

Praise Woody Johnson

Praise Woody Johnson for realizing the mistake of letting a glorified accountant run your football operations. Praise Woody Johnson for aggressively pursuing two hot ticket GM prospects with a pure football background.

Praise Woody Johnson for ridding us of Shades & Cavanaugh Syndrome.

Praise Woody for talking Rex into pursuing a modern day philosophy on offense and a new QB as well.

Praise Saint Woody Johnson

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    And you believe that Rex didn't have major input into who the offensive personnel was?
    Too much say. That is the problem when the GM does not have a personnel background.

Rex must stick to coaching and let the scouts and GM have the bigger input to personnel selection.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Less. Mangini filled the personnel evaluation vacuum created by Tannenbaum, Rex was not as good at it as Mangini was. The personnel from Mangini's time was good, from Rex's bad. That says it all about Tannenbaum's skills. It is very encounraging that the new GM's Woody's looking at have successful player evaluation on their resume.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Too much say. That is the problem when the GM does not have a personnel background.Rex must stick to coaching and let the scouts and GM have the bigger input to personnel selection.
    He probably relied on Mangini alot also..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    We need an individual with a strong personnel background as GM.

The Jets were the only team in the NFL not to allow a 100 yard game against them by a receiver. Wilson is not a bad CB.
    Was true till Stevie Johnson on the last game of the year. Wilson is awful.

Too much say. That is the problem when the GM does not have a personnel background.

Rex must stick to coaching and let the scouts and GM have the bigger input to personnel selection.
    I'm sorry but I want my coach to be a fine judge of talent on both sides of the ball. He should have input. Obviously Rex's input was lacking.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    On the contrary

Praise Woody Johnson

Praise Woody Johnson for realizing the mistake of letting a glorified accountant run your football operations. Praise Woody Johnson for aggressively pursuing two hot ticket GM prospects with a pure football background.

Praise Woody Johnson for ridding us of Shades & Cavanaugh Syndrome.

Praise Woody for talking Rex into pursuing a modern day philosophy on offense and a new QB as well.

Praise Saint Woody Johnson
    Shouldn't this post have a after it?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

This is all Woody had to say about what he was looking for in a GM:

Woody: GM will guide us to next level of success - looking for consistency.
    That's it. Duh! How obvious can you get? I want my GM to be successful. Geez. If he had any vision or idea about how to build a football team or a direction to take it - his statement would have consisted of a little more than 'I want a GM who can be successful'. He is clueless, wandering around without a compass hoping to trip over something that works. Every move he has made has been a knee jerk reaction to the previous mistake. Mangini was reserved and quiet, so he hired the loudest brashest non-Mangini out there. Tanny was a bust, so now he knows he needs someone able to evaluate personnel. He has no overall vision, just corrects the last mistake. While inserting his need for media attention with suggestions like Favre and Tebow. Guaranteed the next HC is an offensive guru.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shouldn't this post have a after it?
    I wanted the GM gone.

He's gone.

I wanted Shades and Cavanaugh gone.

They're gone.

I wanted the Jets to pursue Gamble and Caldwell from the start.

They've pursued them.

I've wanted the Jets to consider Norv Turner for OC.

They're considering him.

I've wanted the Jets to adapt to a modern offensive approach, one that doesn't try to "ground and pound" you like it's 1962.

They're complying.

How could I not be thrilled with what has transpired?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Ravens just cut their second round pick from 2 years ago, sergio kindle, should ozzie and decosta be fired? The pats cut ron brace, their 2009 second round pick, does BB need a new GM?

Amazing how some people can harp and harp on vlad ducasse....so we took a shot on a developemental olineman with 61st pick in the draft and it didnt work out.

How has jeremy kerley worked out, was that a good pick? How about wilkerson, coples, slauson - a 7th round 2 year starter.

NOT EVERY PICK IS GOING TO BE A PROBOWLER

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I wanted the GM gone.

He's gone.

I wanted Shades and Cavanaugh gone.

They're gone.

I wanted the Jets to pursue Gamble and Caldwell from the start.

They've pursued them.

I've wanted the Jets to consider Norv Turner for OC.

They're considering him.

I've wanted the Jets to adapt to a modern offensive approach, one that doesn't try to "ground and pound" you like it's 1962.

They're complying.

How could I not be thrilled with what has transpired?
    And you think this is all the Jets need? I'm thrilled for you then. Many others (including myself)think that more needs to be done and from what we heard today it's not going to get done.
    Last edited by Queens Jet Fan; 01-08-2013 at 02:00 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    This is all Woody had to say about what he was looking for in a GM:

That's it. Duh! How obvious can you get? I want my GM to be successful. Geez. If he had any vision or idea about how to build a football team or a direction to take it - his statement would have consisted of a little more than 'I want a GM who can be successful'. He is clueless, wandering around without a compass hoping to trip over something that works. Every move he has made has been a knee jerk reaction to the previous mistake. Mangini was reserved and quiet, so he hired the loudest brashest non-Mangini out there. Tanny was a bust, so now he knows he needs someone able to evaluate personnel. He has no overall vision, just corrects the last mistake. While inserting his need for media attention with suggestions like Favre and Tebow. Guaranteed the next HC is an offensive guru.
    Excellent post niece. Your uncle must be very proud.