Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Fix the Jets

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

How to Fix the Jets

Here is what I would do:

Trade this years #1 for 2 #1s next year, if no takers, draft Warmack

Trade Revis for picks, hopefully a #1 next year

Cut Pace, Scott, Smith, Smith, Pouha, and any other dead weight to trim as much cap space as possible.

Announce Tebow as the starter next year, this will give fans something to be excited about for next year, when in reality 2013 is a rebuilding year.

This would give us at least 3 first rounders for 2014, possibly 4 which would give us flexibility to move up or down on the board to grab a QB and/or a defensive stud like Clowney. We'd also have a ton of money to spend in free agency for 2014.

I know it's hard to just pack in a season like that, especially in New York. So maybe you have to be less obvious about it.

What do you guys think? I know next year would suck, but think how exciting it would be going into 2014 and beyond.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not me, I have bigger dreams...

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Except for your cuts, your entire post is wishful thinking, has no basis in reality, and will never happen.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why is that? Maybe instead of trading this years #1 for 2 next year, you tone it down by trading back to the 2nd round this year and add a #1 next year.

Trading Revis makes a lot of sense for many reasons.

Unless we hire a good GM, who can do something with the picks and money, it wouldn't really matter.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    Not me, I have bigger dreams...
    Bigger dreams for 2013? Like what, 9-7 winning ugly games with defense and getting bumped in the first round resulting in a mid round pick and no cap space to get better?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    Bigger dreams for 2013? Like what, 9-7 winning ugly games with defense and getting bumped in the first round resulting in a mid round pick and no cap space to get better?
    Bigger dreams than a Tebow run offense...

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Sell!Sell!Sell!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    Except for your cuts, your entire post is wishful thinking, has no basis in reality, and will never happen.
    I dont think its unrealistic. It's exactly what the kind I thing the Patriots do all the time. Trade big-money names (Seymour) for picks, trade back for picks, etc. Only difference is we are more desperate.

Sometimes you have to take a step back to leap forward.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Why is that? Maybe instead of trading this years #1 for 2 next year, you tone it down by trading back to the 2nd round this year and add a #1 next year.

Unless we hire a good GM, who can do something with the picks and money, it wouldn't really matter.
    No team is going to trade us two #1 picks in 2014 for the #9 in 2013. Does any team even have two #1 2014 picks? And if we don't trade the pick, the new GM does not draft a OG at #9. A trade back, maybe.. but with all the issues this team has, a play maker is needed.

Revis might be traded, but he won't fetch a #1 pick. Not with his contract and ACL injury. We might get a #2 and a mid round pick.

On what planet is Rex Ryan suddenly starting Tebow? And for what? To let him run a college offense for a year for his fanboys? He wont be a Jet in '13..

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    It might workout well for 2014 but remember Tebow took Denver to game 2 in the playoff. They beat Pittsburgh in game 1. If that happens again then we'd be stuck for Tebow for a long time. Tebow reminds me of Larry Czonka at QB.

The organization wants to win every year and will never tank a season for future Draft picks ( I think).
    Last edited by RMJK; 01-08-2013 at 01:48 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bigger dreams than a Tebow run offense...
    OK, keep Suckchez in there or bring in a guy like Moore instead. Tebow can be part of the purge.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Get an OC, get a Qb, get a RB, get a WR, get an OL, get 2 LB's. Some may be on the team, next 2 years and we will compete.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    No I didn't say keep Sanchez...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats a start. Tebow as QB next season will not happen. The basic premise is ok though. 2014 looks like a draft bonanza as far as blue chip QB prospects go. I agree that in a perfect world we should be looking to trade down out of our 9th place spot and targeting extra picks. I'd like to see a trade back to the 20's in exchange for a 2nd this season or ideally a 2014 1st. Conventional draft wisdom is that a 2nd this season is worth a 1st next season. I would be ok with a 2nd trade down from the 20's to the early 2nd if it nets another 2nd rounder for 2014 as well.

The key with trading down is to still maintain the number of picks we have this season while loading up on some extras for next year.

It looks like one of either Revis or Cro is expendable. Personally I'd prefer trying to resign Revis and trading Cro. Cro is worth a 2nd rounder and his value will never be higher than right now. Again I would then look to trade the 2013 2nd rounder for a 2014 1st. That is fair value for the pick.

At QB the picture is muddled this year. I see a Matt Moore type veteran as a possibility. I'd prefer a guy like Flynn that has some upside/suprise potential.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    It might workout well for 2014 but remember Tebow took Denver to game 2 in the playoff. They beat Pittsburgh in game 1. If that again then we'd be stuck for Tebow for a long time. Tebow reminds me of Larry Czonka at QB.

The organization wants to win every year and will never tank a season for future Draft picks ( I think).
    Losing in 2013 isn't really vital to this plan since you would have a couple first rounders already compiled for the 2014 draft. The bigger objective for 2013 is to clear cap space to carry over to 2014, and not spend future money on players that don't play a role for the team in 2014 and beyond.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is what I would do:

Trade this years #1 for 2 #1s next year, if no takers, draft Warmack

Trade Revis for picks, hopefully a #1 next year

Cut Pace, Scott, Smith, Smith, Pouha, and any other dead weight to trim as much cap space as possible.

Announce Tebow as the starter next year, this will give fans something to be excited about for next year, when in reality 2013 is a rebuilding year.

This would give us at least 3 first rounders for 2014, possibly 4 which would give us flexibility to move up or down on the board to grab a QB and/or a defensive stud like Clowney. We'd also have a ton of money to spend in free agency for 2014.

I know it's hard to just pack in a season like that, especially in New York. So maybe you have to be less obvious about it.

What do you guys think? I know next year would suck, but think how exciting it would be going into 2014 and beyond.

Just curious:

What team has two '14 number 1's to trade for our '13 number 9?
    You might've been better off saying we'd trade down from 9 to the late 20's and that team gives up their '14 #1 to do so.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK, keep Suckchez in there or bring in a guy like Moore instead. Tebow can be part of the purge.
    Don't want Sanchez or a guy who can't throw playing QB

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    Thats a start. Tebow as QB next season will not happen. The basic premise is ok though. 2014 looks like a draft bonanza as far as blue chip QB prospects go. I agree that in a perfect world we should be looking to trade down out of our 9th place spot and targeting extra picks. I'd like to see a trade back to the 20's in exchange for a 2nd this season or ideally a 2014 1st. Conventional draft wisdom is that a 2nd this season is worth a 1st next season. I would be ok with a 2nd trade down from the 20's to the early 2nd if it nets another 2nd rounder for 2014 as well.

The key with trading down is to still maintain the number of picks we have this season while loading up on some extras for next year.

It looks like one of either Revis or Cro is expendable. Personally I'd prefer trying to resign Revis and trading Cro. Cro is worth a 2nd rounder and his value will never be higher than right now. Again I would then look to trade the 2013 2nd rounder for a 2014 1st. That is fair value for the pick.

At QB the picture is muddled this year. I see a Matt Moore type veteran as a possibility. I'd prefer a guy like Flynn that has some upside/suprise potential.
    Would live to trade Cro instead of Revis. I am just not a big fan of Cro's game. He has no football IQ and no grasp of football fundamentals, which still amazes me. He gets by on raw athleticism and will never change. If you can get a 2 for him, and keep Revis, great. I just don't know about investing so much money in Rrvis going forward.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't want Sanchez or a guy who can't throw playing QB
    Moore can throw. If we had him this year we would have been a playoff team.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. Release/Let Go: Calvin Pace, Bart Scott, David Harris, Eric Smith, Jason Smith, Mike DeVito, Vladimir Ducasse, Matt Slauson, Shonn Greene and Dustin Keller.
    2. Re-sign: LaRon Landy OR Yeremiah Bell, NOT both.
    3. Release/Trade: Mark Sanchez, Tim Tebow.
    4. Look to trade, but by no means make it a necessity: Antonio Cromartie.
    5. Re-sign Brandon Moore.
    6. Draft at 9 or trade down and draft later either a LG or RT - preferably Chance Warmack or D.J. Fluker - both from Alabama. Target a TE (Eifert, Ertz, Williams, Reed) in Round 2.
    7. Sign RB Rashard Mendenhall (Steelers) to a one or two-year deal.
    8. Target Connor Barwin or Paul Kruger (OLB's) in Free Agency.

That's all I've got so far, but it's a start.
    Last edited by 124; 01-08-2013 at 01:47 PM.