Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to Fix the Jets

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    1. Release/Let Go: Calvin Pace, Bart Scott, David Harris, Eric Smith, Jason Smith, Mike DeVito, Vladimir Ducasse, Matt Slauson, Shonn Greene and Dustin Keller.
    2. Re-sign: LaRon Landy OR Yeremiah Bell, NOT both.
    3. Release/Trade: Mark Sanchez, Tim Tebow.
    4. Look to trade, but by no means make it a necessity: Antonio Cromartie.
    5. Re-sign Brandon Moore.
    6. Draft at 9 or trade down and draft later either a LG or RT - preferably Chance Warmack or D.J. Fluker - both from Alabama. Target a TE (Eifert, Ertz, Williams, Reed) in Round 2.
    7. Sign RB Rashard Mendenhall (Steelers) to a one or two-year deal.

That's all I've got so far, but it's a start.
    Not bad though a TE in rd 2? No thanks. Id go OLB in 1 and RB/RT/QB in 2-3-4 not necessarily in that order.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    Moore can throw. If we had him this year we would have been a playoff team.
    We were debating your idea of running a Tebow offense next year and that would be just as bad as letting Sanchez start again. I would keep McElroy as a backup and I would take Moore if he proved to be the best option but I think there will be other better veterans available by trade or by salary dumps,

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Losing in 2013 isn't really vital to this plan since you would have a couple first rounders already compiled for the 2014 draft. The bigger objective for 2013 is to clear cap space to carry over to 2014, and not spend future money on players that don't play a role for the team in 2014 and beyond.
    I hear ya but if Tebow wins then he stays our QB and the first rounders go to build the team.

I want a real QB just sayin'

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    #1 Some big names to consider in 2014, trading Revis and our own 1st might be a gamble because we never know how these draftees will pan out. Here are the top prospects for the 2014 draft:

Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina

Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M

Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville

Marqise Lee, WR, USC

#2 Name Sanchez QB and shot down the circus. Give the man the vote of confidence now and stick with him for better or for worse.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is what I would do:

Trade this years #1 for 2 #1s next year, if no takers, draft Warmack
    No team is giving up 2 first round picks for a 1 this year, especially not at 9 overall in a deep but not top heavy draft, and especially not the Rams (who are the only team with 2 first round picks). I'm on board with Warmack there, though I can be happy with one of the pass rushers too.

Trade Revis for picks, hopefully a #1 next year
    Not going to happen. No way you get anything close to decent value with Revis coming off an injury and on an opt-out year. Any team trading significant value for Revis would need to sign him long term - and who would be willing to do that with Revis coming off an injury? Besides, high trade compensation is never available when the player being dealt needs a new contract. The only real trade option would be a player for player deal (in the Bailey for Portis mold).

Cut Pace, Scott, Smith, Smith, Pouha, and any other dead weight to trim as much cap space as possible.
    Pouha's not dead weight, but yes, he should be cut since he won't be part of the 2014 run anyway. Sanchez should be part of that group, too.

Announce Tebow as the starter next year, this will give fans something to be excited about for next year, when in reality 2013 is a rebuilding year.
    Monumentally dumb, in my opinion. Tebow is a recipe for mediocrity. If we are going to take a step back to plan for the future, let's do it right.

But the general approach of playing for 2014 is exactly right.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Cromartie stinks

Would live to trade Cro instead of Revis. I am just not a big fan of Cro's game. He has no football IQ and no grasp of football fundamentals, which still amazes me. He gets by on raw athleticism and will never change. If you can get a 2 for him, and keep Revis, great. I just don't know about investing so much money in Rrvis going forward.
    Yeah okay,he's a shutdown corner, a pro bowler, but you don't like his game. We don't need to be getting rid of anybody, unless we can upgrade the position.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    1. Release/Let Go: Calvin Pace, Bart Scott, David Harris, Eric Smith, Jason Smith, Mike DeVito, Vladimir Ducasse, Matt Slauson, Shonn Greene and Dustin Keller.
    2. Re-sign: LaRon Landy OR Yeremiah Bell, NOT both.
    3. Release/Trade: Mark Sanchez, Tim Tebow.
    4. Look to trade, but by no means make it a necessity: Antonio Cromartie.
    5. Re-sign Brandon Moore.
    6. Draft at 9 or trade down and draft later either a LG or RT - preferably Chance Warmack or D.J. Fluker - both from Alabama. Target a TE (Eifert, Ertz, Williams, Reed) in Round 2.
    7. Sign RB Rashard Mendenhall (Steelers) to a one or two-year deal.
    8. Target Connor Barwin or Paul Kruger (OLB's) in Free Agency.

That's all I've got so far, but it's a start.
    Then who plays QB? I don't like going TE in round 2. I could live with OL in round 1, but it might not be the splash a new GM would want to make.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    Yeah okay,he's a shutdown corner, a pro bowler, but you don't like his game. We don't need to be getting rid of anybody, unless we can upgrade the position.
    Cro isn't a shutdown Corner. Sorry. The guy can't tackle and gets totally gets lost when the ball is in the air. There were at least 3 times last year where Cro was had perfect coverage on a deep pattern, but just couldn't find the ball and make a play (a lag Kyle Wilson), resulting in a big gain. He also dropped a few easy INTs.

Revis is the only true shutdown Corner in the league. Cro is good, but he's definitely not top 5. I'll take a guy with half his physical skills, who is smart, and plays with solid technique and toughness for half the money any day.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is what I would do:

Trade this years #1 for 2 #1s next year, if no takers, draft Warmack
    Why would any team do that? Also, as far as I know, only St. Louis has 2 #1 draft picks in 2014.

Trade Revis for picks, hopefully a #1 next year
    Could happen, but I'm not sure if a team would trade for a guy in the last year of his contract, coming off major knee surgery. Maybe they would wrok out a deal that was incentive based (3rd for Revis, 2nd, if he plays 12+ games, 1st if he makes Pro-Bowl, 1st + More if he makes All-Pro team)

Cut Pace, Scott, Smith, Smith, Pouha, and any other dead weight to trim as much cap space as possible.
    This will happen.

Announce Tebow as the starter next year, this will give fans something to be excited about for next year, when in reality 2013 is a rebuilding year.
    Here's the thing. Very few Jets fans would actually be excited about this, most would be quite upset with this.

This would give us at least 3 first rounders for 2014, possibly 4 which would give us flexibility to move up or down on the board to grab a QB and/or a defensive stud like Clowney. We'd also have a ton of money to spend in free agency for 2014.
    Again, seeing as only St. Louis has 2 1st round picks in 2014, I don't really see the Jets ending up with more than 1. Also, Seeing as the Jets are really limited in what they can do in Free Agency, the Jets should expect to have a good amount of compensated picks in 2014 (Greene, Landry, Keller etc are FA this year)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If a QB like Barkley or Glennon are sitting there at 9, a teams might want to jump up to grab them. Might not be able to get 2 #1s next year, but could prolly get a 2 and 3 this year and a 1 next year for the 9th pick.

The point is to stockpile as much ammo as possible to be able to move up in 2014 to grab a franchise QB or pass rusher like Clowney.

Jets won do it, makes too much sense. They will make a half assed effort to win next year, go 9-7, maybe squeak into the playoffs. Typical Jets mediocre floundering.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Trade this years #1 for 2 #1s next year, if no takers, draft Warmack.
    Completely agree. Safe pick that will immediately help upgrade the OL.

Trade Revis for picks, hopefully a #1 next year.
    Disagree. Let Revis earn his next big contract by having a stellar season for us next year. We get a significant cap hit if we trade Revis. Do we eventually lose Revis in the long run? Yes but this team absolutely needs to make the playoffs next year and good corners are always available in draft/FA.

Cut Pace, Scott, Smith, Smith, Pouha, and any other dead weight to trim as much cap space as possible
    Agree. We can probably resign Pouha at a significant paycut. I don't think Ellis is ready to be the full-time starting NT yet unless we go a 4-3 then we're probably fine with Ellis and Wilk as starting DT's.

I took you seriously until I read this. Tim Tebow is a joke. Cut him already.

No such thing in the NFL as a rebuilding year unless you're the Cleveland Browns.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cro isn't a shutdown Corner. Sorry. The guy can't tackle and gets totally gets lost when the ball is in the air. There were at least 3 times last year where Cro was had perfect coverage on a deep pattern, but just couldn't find the ball and make a play (a lag Kyle Wilson), resulting in a big gain. He also dropped a few easy INTs.

Revis is the only true shutdown Corner in the league. Cro is good, but he's definitely not top 5. I'll take a guy with half his physical skills, who is smart, and plays with solid technique and toughness for half the money any day.
    Cro shutdown Andre Johnson and several other good to excellent #1 WR's this season. That's why Cro is going to the Pro Bowl and that's why he is indeed a shutdown Corner.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    Not bad though a TE in rd 2? No thanks. Id go OLB in 1 and RB/RT/QB in 2-3-4 not necessarily in that order.
    Resign Keller to a 1 yr deal at around $2 mil. No one is paying him after the egg he laid this season so he'll be hungry and looking to earn a contract next season. That's exactly what happened with Laron Landry and he was stellar for us.