Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 74

Thread: What Does it Mean to be a Good Jets Fan?

  1. #21
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    42,983
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joiseyjet View Post
    This year Ray Charles could have predicted it, & i was not one of the Mark haters screaming for Teblow all year in fact I believe that having to be asked about tebow all the time added to his problems . now mark still thew all those Int`s .Marks problems came were visable early on in the season & flying Tenn. for what I thought should have been a lock game ( but was an embaressment by Mark) I am glad I am glad I didn`t book my buffalo flt. before that game . & I don`t think you or Woody uderstand my/our fustration
    I don't remember people being this upset when Vinny threw 25 picks in 2000..

  2. #22
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3,153
    Post Thanks / Like

    My point was

    Quote Originally Posted by joiseyjet View Post
    This year Ray Charles could have predicted it, & i was not one of the Mark haters screaming for Teblow all year in fact I believe that having to be asked about tebow all the time added to his problems . now mark still thew all those Int`s .Marks problems came were visable early on in the season & flying Tenn. for what I thought should have been a lock game ( but was an embaressment by Mark) I am glad I am glad I didn`t book my buffalo flt. before that game . & I don`t think you or Woody uderstand my/our fustration
    Your telling me you saw this coming based on what he did his first two years

  3. #23
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Posts
    652
    Post Thanks / Like
    To be a jets fan you need to be a Kool-aid drinker.

  4. #24
    Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    10,165
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    I don't remember people being this upset when Vinny threw 25 picks in 2000..
    We were John ,we just didn`t all have such easy access to complain about it then back then ,thats all.

  5. #25
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ (Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Posts
    35,705
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    There are countless threads documenting the answer(s) to your question. My overall point in this thread is to drive home the point that complaining about an inferior product does not make you a bad fan.
    If the Jets were bad and not making changes, then I'd be severely disappointed.

    At the same time, if the Jets blowup the entire organization every time they come off a 6-10 injury riddled season after some recent success then I'd also be disappointed.

    The bottom line is the Jets are not standing still. The debate amongst fans isn't WHETHER the Jets should make changes, but WHAT changes are to be made. I'd submit that changing the GM, OC, DC, and potentially the QB is a sign that the Jets are not standing still.

    Keep Tannenbaum. Fire Tannenbaum.
    Keep Rex. Fire Rex.
    Keep Sparano. Fire Sparano.
    Keep Sanchez. Drop Sanchez.

    We've debated the above ad nauseum and no matter what the Jets do, we'll continue to debate.

    Just relax and wait for the 20 page thread crucifying the next GM or the next OC.

  6. #26
    Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    10,165
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    Your telling me you saw this coming based on what he did his first two years
    Not at all , but through preseason and the 1st half of this season you could see ,this was not the same Sanchez as the previous good years and had Rex pulled him in some of really bad games this season after his 2nd int`s & a win here or there like in Tenn. we might have made the playoffs this season & not been the laughing stock of the league.

  7. #27
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,699
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    If the Jets were bad and not making changes, then I'd be severely disappointed.

    At the same time, if the Jets blowup the entire organization every time they come off a 6-10 injury riddled season after some recent success then I'd also be disappointed.

    The bottom line is the Jets are not standing still. The debate amongst fans isn't WHETHER the Jets should make changes, but WHAT changes are to be made. I'd submit that changing the GM, OC, DC, and potentially the QB is a sign that the Jets are not standing still.

    Keep Tannenbaum. Fire Tannenbaum.
    Keep Rex. Fire Rex.
    Keep Sparano. Fire Sparano.
    Keep Sanchez. Drop Sanchez.

    We've debated the above ad nauseum and no matter what the Jets do, we'll continue to debate.

    Just relax and wait for the 20 page thread crucifying the next GM or the next OC.
    Well said. +1

  8. #28
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,550
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    I have always wondered whose Idea was it to call yourself "intelligentjetsfan"?? Are you saying other fans are dumb??
    No, there are many, many intelligent Jets fans, in fact this fan base gets a bad rap from the unfair stereotypes driven by the media. My handle is a retort to those stereotypes.

  9. #29
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,179
    Post Thanks / Like
    A good fan is someone who get mooned by the owner of the team he loves and accepts it as the sun coming up.

  10. #30
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,550
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    Complaining in itself doesn't, but again, what is your problem with how the team is being run? I mean, there are certainly valid complaints about what's going on behind the scenes with this team, but go read through the press conference thread. Are things really that doom and gloom?

    Let's see who they bring in at GM and OC and take it from there. Things were bad in 2012, no doubt, but changes are being made to fix the situation.
    The problem is they are already starting the next phase in a dysfunctional manner. No established offensive coordinator will come to a team where the head coach may not last 12 months. No established general manager will take a job where they are told that they have to keep the head coach and, in fact, was partially hired by that head coach.

    Beyond that, the owner and head coach simply do not come across as being honest and forthright to the public and fan base.

  11. #31
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,550
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    We're all entitled to opinions, and to express them. Here's mine:

    Digust, driven by ignorance (they do not know who made what decisions, nor do they know what alternatives would be better) and prodded on by a hostile, hateful, media who profits on making Fans hate their own team enough to read every world they write, tweet or burp.



    Not true. Fans have every right to complain if they are displeased.

    Other fans, however, have the right to look at these often irrational, illogical and detail/alternative-limited complaining fans and wonder what they're thinking, and why change for changes sake is always their answer every year, and why they always seem to hate every player and coach on our team but love every other guy in the league, and why they seem to suddenly love ex-Jets the day they leave the Jets, when they hated them two minutes earlier.....



    If Fan pressure plays any part on the rapid rotation of Coaches and players on the Jets, then yes, in some viewpoints, thats a big part of the problem. Lack of patience is as deadly to development as being overly patient with mediocrity.

    In addition, it's often HOW the argument is put forth, not the argument itself.

    "Sanchez should be dumped because of stats A, B, C, and D, factors Q, R and X, and references X and Z. We'd be better off with #1, #4 or #18 because of X, Y, Z." is good complaining.

    "Woody is moron, we're doomed, we'll never win anythign till he is gone!!!! We should trade for Peyton Manning dammit!!!!" is not.

    That is just ranting, without support, and for something that is a virtual impossibllity of changing.



    Agreed.



    In your opinion, and without supporting arguments to make your case beyond "yeah, like some other threads explain it and stuff".



    IMO Typical New York Sports Fan, the "best fans" are the ones with the most and loudest hatred for everything their team does. They are Francessa-clones.

    The worst fans are anyone who has patience or support for anyone currently on or involved with the team.

    Patience in every area of life is essential and I agree that complaining without thought is ignorant. I alluded to this when I made the comment that negativity for the sake of being negative does not make you a good fan.

    But there are many valid points being made explaining why and how this franchise is being run poorly. And a fan base that accepts bad leadership gets the team it deserves (that seems like a familiar theme from another forum ) I would be happy to debate them and did make a post in this thread that touched on some of them.

  12. #32
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,550
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    A good fan is someone who get mooned by the owner of the team he loves and accepts it as the sun coming up.
    Lol

  13. #33
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,963
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    Starting small is a great idea considering the lack of IQ around here. It is quite simple. How is it that the guy who is most responsible for this train wreck gets a "do over" after 4 years of failure, and it has been a failure no matter what anyone says, zero championships = failure in my opinion, especially after no SB appearancesin 40+ years. He went to the AFCC game twice, lost both times with Eric Mangini's players. Failure. Period. So now, he gets a pass and a "do over" after 4 years, the last 2 of which were downright miserable for us fans to endure, and, all of a sudden, over a Pina Colada in the Bahamas, we are expected to believe Rex has finally figured out what he needs to do to improve as a HC, and improve the standing of this franchise? Maybe you were born yesterday but I sure as hell wasn't. Give me a break.
    Oh and the owner letting a subordinate choose his "boss" is laughable, commical and a complete joke.

    This is the true definition of "The fish stinking from the head down".


    Is that "small" enough?
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    Starting small is a great idea considering the lack of IQ around here. It is quite simple. How is it that the guy who is most responsible for this train wreck gets a "do over" after 4 years of failure, and it has been a failure no matter what anyone says, zero championships = failure in my opinion, especially after no SB appearancesin 40+ years. He went to the AFCC game twice, lost both times with Eric Mangini's players. Failure. Period. So now, he gets a pass and a "do over" after 4 years, the last 2 of which were downright miserable for us fans to endure, and, all of a sudden, over a Pina Colada in the Bahamas, we are expected to believe Rex has finally figured out what he needs to do to improve as a HC, and improve the standing of this franchise? Maybe you were born yesterday but I sure as hell wasn't. Give me a break.
    Oh and the owner letting a subordinate choose his "boss" is laughable, commical and a complete joke.

    This is the true definition of "The fish stinking from the head down".


    Is that "small" enough?
    You can write a piece like that and complain about lack of IQ around here? Mangini's players??? lol... that was amusing.. ake a look at the D ranking in 08 and then compare it to 09. Notice a HUGE difference? Your right though rex took "mangini's players" and brought in his D mind and made "mangini's d players go from Average D to instantly top 3 in the NFL .. wonder why.. Mangini let this team go on a massive losing streak after a 8-3 start.. Yes it all occured when Farve hurt his bicept and played hurt, and was not very effective. Farve was doing very well prior to that, so you can say Mangini was riding the back of a good qb until he got hurt. Rex had to win with a rookie qb who had to be carried by Rex's d and the running game.

    Mangini failed to stop this team from falling hard in 08, can blame farve but if he was hurt and obviously playing bad why not pull him? Rex has outcoached many of the top coaches in the playoffs, teams that were better than the Jets. For 2 years. Tammy Brady and the genius had a far superior team than the Jets in 2010, their offense was on a tear. Rex caught them both totally off guard with new coverages he designed just for them and we saw the result. tammy never looked so confused..

    Rex has a lot of faults, hes a genius with the D but obviously needs help with O. He sure hasnt gotten it. Worst QB in the league, worst GM in the league, worst OC in the league- twice. I understand he had his hand in pciking sparano, atleast he admits that was a mistake. If we can get an "average" OC,qb,GM Jets will be back in the hunt

  14. #34
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,179
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    You can write a piece like that and complain about lack of IQ around here? Mangini's players??? lol... that was amusing.. ake a look at the D ranking in 08 and then compare it to 09. Notice a HUGE difference? Your right though rex took "mangini's players" and brought in his D mind and made "mangini's d players go from Average D to instantly top 3 in the NFL .. wonder why.. Mangini let this team go on a massive losing streak after a 8-3 start.. Yes it all occured when Farve hurt his bicept and played hurt, and was not very effective. Farve was doing very well prior to that, so you can say Mangini was riding the back of a good qb until he got hurt. Rex had to win with a rookie qb who had to be carried by Rex's d and the running game.

    Mangini failed to stop this team from falling hard in 08, can blame farve but if he was hurt and obviously playing bad why not pull him? Rex has outcoached many of the top coaches in the playoffs, teams that were better than the Jets. For 2 years. Tammy Brady and the genius had a far superior team than the Jets in 2010, their offense was on a tear. Rex caught them both totally off guard with new coverages he designed just for them and we saw the result. tammy never looked so confused..

    Rex has a lot of faults, hes a genius with the D but obviously needs help with O. He sure hasnt gotten it. Worst QB in the league, worst GM in the league, worst OC in the league- twice. I understand he had his hand in pciking sparano, atleast he admits that was a mistake. If we can get an "average" OC,qb,GM Jets will be back in the hunt
    Worst GM in the league? Rex took over a team with the arguably the best OL and running attack in football a loaded D along with overpaying for Rex's guys from the Ravens and giving a stupid deal to David Harris one of Rex's boys. Not to mention Rex was so in love with Holmes he just had to have him at any cost and make him captain.

    This is a guy who braged about picking the terminator and moving up to take Greene. He also was at the workout for Sanchez and was so in love with him he made him a permenant addition to his shoulder.

    Tom Coughlin has *****ed BB twice now when it really counted while Rex's teams were getting their asses handed to them in the AFC finals.
    Last edited by Winstonbiggs; 01-08-2013 at 05:40 PM.

  15. #35
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Borgo's House
    Posts
    4,442
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    Many Jets fans are disgusted with the state of this franchise, the people in charge of the team and the way they conduct themselves publicly. Yet one of the themes that I continue to see from some of the posters here is the notion that if you complain a lot then you are somehow a bad fan, grouped into the ridiculous SOJF (same old Jets fan) category. Its as if complaining about a bad product, one in which you may be paying for, makes you the problem instead of the people producing the inferior product. Nothing could be further from the truth.

    The fans have an absolute right to express frustration; this team is currently being run like garbage. The reasons are plentiful and well documented in other threads, so there is no need to expound on them here. But the larger point is that being critical when the team is being run poorly actually makes you a good fan. Its not the same as being critical for the sake of complaining or complaining about a winning organization who had a bad season. Certainly a fan who is negative for the sake of negativity is not a good fan. But being a good fan does not mean having to swallow everything that is said by the owner, coach and gm as if it is gospel. I would argue that fans that swallow whole the company lines and accept mediocrity (or worse) are the worst type of fans.

    The fans are the life blood of any sports organization. We give ratings through our viewing habits, pay the astronomical ticket and stadium prices, buy the merchandise and directly and indirectly promote the team in various ways. Sometimes empty seats and shelves with unsold merchandise speaks louder, and more effeciently, then the fan who makes excuses for every busted draft pick and poor coaching decision.

    You're either a fan, or you're not. If you care, you're a fan.

    No such thing as a good or bad fan.

  16. #36
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,699
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    Worst GM in the league? Rex took over a team with the arguably the best OL and running attack in football
    Thomas wore out after 2009. See how he did elsewhere?

    L.T. wore out too. He was broken and retired.

    They were replaced with an inferior talent in Greene.

    The decline of the running game is not on the O-line. A talent, it should be reminded, most of us wanted to see alot more of at the time.

    It's on the GM, on Rex, and the QB, since teams know we reply on the run since Sanchez is a failure at the pass.

    a loaded D along with overpaying for Rex's guys from the Ravens and giving a stupid deal to David Harris one of Rex's boys. Not to mention Rex was so in love with Holmes he just had to have him at any cost and make him captain.
    D is still loaded, and still Top 5-10 material.

    This is a guy who braged about picking the terminator and moving up to take Greene.
    Mistakes both, but Rex is Rex, and he talks up anyone and everyone in Jets Green. Clearly, it bites him in the ass now.

  17. #37
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,143
    Post Thanks / Like
    Defend the Jets when others make fun of them- even if you agree with what they're saying- right now is a perfect example- the Rex Ryan/Woody Johnson tandem is a target of humiliation but at the end of the day the Jets are my favorite team and I can't fathom rooting against them although it got tough this season with all the Teboneheads.

  18. #38
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,685
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    I understand your frustration. But who could have predicted the complete collapse of a QB, who 2 years ago, looked like a keeper
    examine that QBs record in those two years with stellar personnel all around him. How good was he really?

  19. #39
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Long Island NY
    Posts
    599
    Post Thanks / Like
    I come here to read and write about my favorite team. I want to read thought out, if not well thought out comments/observations, and not rants. To those that come here and say stuff like "just blow the whole thing up" IMHO you are bad fans. There is no joy in reading what you have to say. Now, if you want to say just blow the whole thing up and here's why, and go on to list specifics that if nothing else might be food for thought then I'm more than ok with you. If not, then you are a bad fan as far as I'm concerned because repeated mindless rants become mind numbing and detract from my enjoyment. For that I resent you.
    Last edited by LIJetsFan; 01-08-2013 at 06:28 PM.

  20. #40
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,179
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Thomas wore out after 2009. See how he did elsewhere?

    L.T. wore out too. He was broken and retired.

    They were replaced with an inferior talent in Greene.

    The decline of the running game is not on the O-line. A talent, it should be reminded, most of us wanted to see alot more of at the time.

    It's on the GM, on Rex, and the QB, since teams know we reply on the run since Sanchez is a failure at the pass.



    D is still loaded, and still Top 5-10 material.



    Mistakes both, but Rex is Rex, and he talks up anyone and everyone in Jets Green. Clearly, it bites him in the ass now.
    the D was great in 09 because it could blitz and cover what does Rex do run Kerry Rhodes out of town. Thank you Rex for your great Defensive mind. You figured out you couldn't blitz in 2010 and started dropping extra guys in coverage. Did great against the Pats in the playoffs, wasn't so great when Pittsburgh ran the D off the field.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us