Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Does it Mean to be a Good Jets Fan?

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    the D was great in 09 because it could blitz and cover what does Rex do run Kerry Rhodes out of town. Thank you Rex for your great Defensive mind. You figured out you couldn't blitz in 2010 and started dropping extra guys in coverage. Did great against the Pats in the playoffs, wasn't so great when Pittsburgh ran the D off the field.
    Perfect example of a post that is at least food for thought. BTW, it's my recollection that the offense choked in the 1st half and thus the D got worn down.

Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    Perfect example of a post that is at least food for thought. BTW, it's my recollection that the offense choked in the 1st half and thus the D got worn down.
    The D got worn out on the first snap.

Quote Originally Posted by BrickHouse View Post
    I think it's knowing to stack up your supply of Whiskey/Cocaine for the season.
    fixed

the D was great in 09 because it could blitz and cover what does Rex do run Kerry Rhodes out of town. Thank you Rex for your great Defensive mind. You figured out you couldn't blitz in 2010 and started dropping extra guys in coverage. Did great against the Pats in the playoffs, wasn't so great when Pittsburgh ran the D off the field.
    lol it was all kerry Rhodes? Ok why couldnt Mangini have the same success then? since they were "his players in 09" All you anti-Rex people cant answer that question. It was average in 08, top 3 in 09. D didnt do great in 1st half of Pitt, missed a lot of tackles opening drive TD. That was a LONG drive, they "didnt run the D off the field" Mark couldnt get the O to score a td in the 1st half. Oh wait I take that back, he fumbled in Jet Ter. and Pitt D ran it in for a TD my mistake.

Banned
    IMO a bad fan is someone who roots against their own team. I'm sure I could think of a few who did that this year. Being overly optimistic or overly pessimistic doesn't make you a bad fan.

Taking a bullet for Revis and saving the franchise CB. That makes you a good Jets fan...

Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    lol it was all kerry Rhodes? Ok why couldnt Mangini have the same success then? since they were "his players in 09" All you anti-Rex people cant answer that question. It was average in 08, top 3 in 09. D didnt do great in 1st half of Pitt, missed a lot of tackles opening drive TD. That was a LONG drive, they "didnt run the D off the field" Mark couldnt get the O to score a td in the 1st half. Oh wait I take that back, he fumbled in Jet Ter. and Pitt D ran it in for a TD my mistake.
    All you anti-Rex people. The guys teams imploded last year and died like dogs this year. If Rex was actually performing nobody would be anti-Rex. I just think we fired the wrong guy.

Mangini's record was the same in 08 as Rex's was in 09.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanchez 3:16 View Post
    This, in a nutshell, is exactly what makes someone a "bad" Jets fan.

You take what the media says, you take what others say, and you present it as fact. And then, mass hysteria ensues.

It is opinion.

The masses will probably say that today's press conference was nothing but two incompetent idiots rambling on about the team's future direction with no plan in place. The Mike Francesa's, the Manish Mehta's, the countless JI posters. They'll still think Rex is getting fired, that it's all a ruse, that there must be something else going on behind the scenes. Because again, opinion is fact. And anything contradicting opinion must be wrong.

On the other hand, I would personally say that today I saw two individuals not satisfied with results, but are proven and capable of succeeding again. That are driven to reach that level of success again and are beginning the pursuit to reach the success they expect of themselves as we speak, both internally and in the public eye. Through all the nonsense written about them, I saw two individuals address the media as professionals.

Of course, this is also my opinion. It is not fact. But my opinion and others like it won't be written in the New York Post tomorrow. It won't be discussed by callers on WFAN. Mass hysteria sells.

So what does it mean to be a good Jets fan? Forming your own opinion. If you think this team is a disaster, you are entitled to think so. But please have your own opinion as to why they are a disaster, and not some reasons you've quoted from the Daily News or Jets Insider.
    What are they proven exactly? That they can spend future dollars to add pieces to 9-7 team in order to get them into the playoffs for two years while letting the whole core of the team get old and not have any money to replace them for three years straight? Because that it what this present group has done.

Has this regime chosen late rd talent and developed them into solid players?
    Why are you referencing to media reports? The product was on the field, never mind what the media tells you what the team is like, what do your eyes tell you. never mind what the media reported on the press conference what did your ears hear. My son didn't even watch some games this year. and he became a fan during the Kotite years!

That when questioned regarding fans who spent thousands of dollars for the right to see this team frustration with their "investment in the team" being told contact the legal department. Fans don't want to hear any caveat emptor crap from a lawyer. They want to hear how the team is going to make right by them.

They take 8 days to tell their fans that Rex is getting a Mulligan. And that he will be taking part in the interviews in hiring the next GM. This puts the new GM into Rex's debt if he gets the job. I can not believe that this was the advise that Polian gave him regarding getting a GM for the team. I am all for letting Rex stay and deal with next years team. He did make the playoffs with these players and this team and he should have another opportunity to do so next year. But he is talking about year one of a new era, that he has not earned.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    What are they proven exactly? That they can spend future dollars to add pieces to 9-7 team in order to get them into the playoffs for two years while letting the whole core of the team get old and not have any money to replace them for three years straight? Because that it what this present group has done.

Has this regime chosen late rd talent and developed them into solid players?
    Why are you referencing to media reports? The product was on the field, never mind what the media tells you what the team is like, what do your eyes tell you. never mind what the media reported on the press conference what did your ears hear. My son didn't even watch some games this year. and he became a fan during the Kotite years!

That when questioned regarding fans who spent thousands of dollars for the right to see this team frustration with their "investment in the team" being told contact the legal department. Fans don't want to hear any caveat emptor crap from a lawyer. They want to hear how the team is going to make right by them.

They take 8 days to tell their fans that Rex is getting a Mulligan. And that he will be taking part in the interviews in hiring the next GM. This puts the new GM into Rex's debt if he gets the job. I can not believe that this was the advise that Polian gave him regarding getting a GM for the team. I am all for letting Rex stay and deal with next years team. He did make the playoffs with these players and this team and he should have another opportunity to do so next year. But he is talking about year one of a new era, that he has not earned.
    The way I see it and they way Woody I presume sees it along with the rest of the Rex supports is that if Sanchez held up his end this team would have been on a four year post season run despite all the failings you've listed above. Things might or might not be in shambles now, it's too early to tell, but Rex's defensive acumen and will to win are a good bet going forward.

A good Jets fan demands excellence from his team. He demands excellence from management. When he is confronted by the circus that is Woody and Rex, he isn't afraid to let his feelings be known. Most of all, a good Jets fan will always hope that success is just around the corner and will stick with the team as long as they are the Jets.

All you anti-Rex people. The guys teams imploded last year and died like dogs this year. If Rex was actually performing nobody would be anti-Rex. I just think we fired the wrong guy.

Mangini's record was the same in 08 as Rex's was in 09.
    wow man I cant believe you admit to the type of loser mentality the Jets have always had until Rex got here. talking about regular season record, dismissing the playoffs.. As the number 6 seed or 5? Rex led underdog jets to two playoffs wins each in 09,10. Some teams that were far superior than the Jets. Defeating few alltime HOF qbs, and we had Mark sanchez lol..

That means when rex gets in, he finds a way to get Jets to defeat the better teams.. Just missed the superbowl twice, and look at Sanchez's performance in each and then you see why.. Take a LONG look at the Jets history.. Im getting tired of hearing broadway Joe days, Rex not mangini took the Jets to afc championship twice. He over achieved 1st two years so now some fans expect to be great every year. Problems is Mark became the worst qb in the NFL. He was near bottom last year. Wish we could have nabbed Peyton, would be still be playing.. Jets will never be bad enough to score a top pick in the NFL draft to pick a Luck or RG3. If you have 1 of those special guys you dont need a defense to carry the team. Rex Ryan D can get Jets back to competing for a superbowl with a average qb, problem is its impossible to do with the worst qb in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    Let's start small.

How is the team currently being run 'like garbage'?

Go.
    Two words:

butt fumble

Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    The way I see it and they way Woody I presume sees it along with the rest of the Rex supports is that if Sanchez held up his end this team would have been on a four year post season run despite all the failings you've listed above. Things might or might not be in shambles now, it's too early to tell, but Rex's defensive acumen and will to win are a good bet going forward.
    If you substitute the word passing game for Sanchez, I can find some room for agreement. To lay al the passing game's failures at the feet of Sanchez is wrong. he sucked but the oline, rec and te did nothing to help him either.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Tai Mai Shu View Post
    To be a jets fan you need to be a Kool-aid drinker.
    Sure Vick. Now go Taiwan on.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    If you substitute the word passing game for Sanchez, I can find some room for agreement. To lay al the passing game's failures at the feet of Sanchez is wrong. he sucked but the oline, rec and te did nothing to help him either.
    Actually, my take on Sanchez is that:

(1) in '11 he was destroyed by Hunter, Moore having an off year, and Mangold going down those few games and what the Ravens did to him. He was demoralized and lost confidence.

(2) he actually regrouped in the off season and played well 1st time vs the Bills. Then Hill and others started a drop fest in part due to Sanchez inaccuracy. I could see this was backbreaking for Sanchez since he's not really all that good anyway. With Keller out half the time, when Holmes went down that was the last straw for a struggling demoralized Sanchez who felt he didn't have one reliable target.

So, yes it's not ALL on Sanchez but a QB who was a bit more accurate, could read defenses, and could go thru progressions would have survived. Mark folded.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    You're either a fan, or you're not. If you care, you're a fan.

No such thing as a good or bad fan.
    Au contraire, many of the very worst Jets "fans" - the SOJFs- can be found here 24x7. Although they unfortunately are part of the permanent fabric I can't tell them apart from the Jet-hating Giants and Pats fans who show up here too often, frankly.

Good fans can look at the Jets objectively, but they don't bore and annoy others by repeating the same negativity untruths unrealistic expectations and projections 10-50 x a day for months on end, as if sheer repetition will make them happen or not (although Braylon did return...must've been the magical 1000000th post )

Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    A good Jets fan demands excellence from his team. He demands excellence from management. When he is confronted by the circus that is Woody and Rex, he isn't afraid to let his feelings be known. Most of all, a good Jets fan will always hope that success is just around the corner and will stick with the team as long as they are the Jets.
    Tremendous post. I think you answered the question honestly for all Jet fans. Good job.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    Au contraire, many of the very worst Jets "fans" - the SOJFs- can be found here 24x7. Although they unfortunately are part of the permanent fabric I can't tell them apart from the Jet-hating Giants and Pats fans who show up here too often, frankly.

Good fans can look at the Jets objectively, but they don't bore and annoy others by repeating the same negativity untruths unrealistic expectations and projections 10-50 x a day for months on end, as if sheer repetition will make them happen or not (although Braylon did return...must've been the magical 1000000th post )
    +1 SOJF's see everything Jet related with a super negative feeling.. They would be a joy to take fishing.. The whine would be..We won't catch anything the boat may sink and I'll get sunburned and die from skin cancer..

Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    Many Jets fans are disgusted with the state of this franchise, the people in charge of the team and the way they conduct themselves publicly. Yet one of the themes that I continue to see from some of the posters here is the notion that if you complain a lot then you are somehow a bad fan, grouped into the ridiculous SOJF (same old Jets fan) category. Its as if complaining about a bad product, one in which you may be paying for, makes you the problem instead of the people producing the inferior product. Nothing could be further from the truth.

The fans have an absolute right to express frustration; this team is currently being run like garbage. The reasons are plentiful and well documented in other threads, so there is no need to expound on them here. But the larger point is that being critical when the team is being run poorly actually makes you a good fan. Its not the same as being critical for the sake of complaining or complaining about a winning organization who had a bad season. Certainly a fan who is negative for the sake of negativity is not a good fan. But being a good fan does not mean having to swallow everything that is said by the owner, coach and gm as if it is gospel. I would argue that fans that swallow whole the company lines and accept mediocrity (or worse) are the worst type of fans.

The fans are the life blood of any sports organization. We give ratings through our viewing habits, pay the astronomical ticket and stadium prices, buy the merchandise and directly and indirectly promote the team in various ways. Sometimes empty seats and shelves with unsold merchandise speaks louder, and more effeciently, then the fan who makes excuses for every busted draft pick and poor coaching decision.
    Good fan? Bad fan? There's no such thing. We are all just fans. So long as we still root for the same team and want them to win, there's no difference.

We just have different approaches on how to cure the ills of the team.

I think Woody is hitting the ball our of the park right now. His approach to fixing this team IMO is perfect. He's holding on to Rex Ryan because he REFUSES to fire one of his top performers. Whether other Jets fans think Rex Ryan is a top performer or not is irrelevant. The point is, Woody Johnson, the owner of the NYJ, thinks he is. And so do I for that matter.

I think where most of the disgust with the team comes from is two fold:

1) They do not respect Woody Johnson. They are JEALOUS of him. They think he's a "trust baby" as described by some on this site, and therefore they either do not respect the man. They also do not respect his Business prowess. I think it's crap. Woody Johnson has been preparing himself for a life of business ventures since the day he was born.

And if you have a problem with him inheriting a king's fortune? GET OVER IT. It isn't about to change. I also inherited some money from my father (god rest his soul), so by that standard I guess you do not respect me either? I don't give a flying f*ck.I'm sure Woody doesn't either.

And if you truly are jealous of Woody Johnson? Why not do something about it? Why not create or build a better light bulb or something? Then you can create your own fortune and have all kinds of "trust babies". Then, you can b*tch all the live long day about your worthless kids that never worked for anything and got a fortune.

2) They wanted Woody to clean house. They wanted Rex Ryan FIRED. That, to me, makes absolutely no sense. There's no logic or reason behind it.

It takes a long time to find a good HC. The Jets FINALLY found themselves one and now you just want to throw him by the wayside because you are mad at some problems on and off the field.

First of all, the off the field things? Mind your own f*cking business. Rex Ryan didn't ask to have his personal life on display. That is that bunch of vultures in the media you can thank for that. Yes, he is a bit of a character. That does not mean he isn't capable of being a great HC.

The on the field issues? More specifically, loyalty to Sanchez? I've wondered about that also. It makes absolutely no sense. If I had to guess, I'd say because he KNEW Sanchez was the best QB on the team. We all know Tebow sucks as a QB, and Greg McElroy certainly wasn't anything special in his very limited playing time.

A lot of fans have been victims of hanging on Rex Ryan's words. When he said at the beginning of the season, "This is the best roster I've ever had", you swallowed that hook, line, and sinker. Well, you need to learn to form your own opinion. I knew that was a crock right from the time he said it. Rex Ryan was using "coach speak" to take pressure off the players. That's what Rex Ryan does. That's one of his most endearing qualities.

Anything else that I haven't listed? All I can say is, when you look at the totality of his work (And I'm sure you won't. You are resigned to wanting to see Rex Ryan fired.), he clearly deserves at least one more season as HC. The lack of talent is not Rex Ryan's fault. You can blame the fired GM for that.

I say that thinking he should be put on notice. He should be put on notice that the team is EXPECTED to improve next season. They should make the playoffs or he should be fired barring any extreme extenuating circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    In 2009 the Jets D was #1. In 2010 It was #3.