Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What Does it Mean to be a Good Jets Fan?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post
    In 2009 the Jets D was #1. In 2010 It was #3.
    thanks fo looking that up.. I just looked up what the Jets D was ranked in 2008, now I see why I didntget an answer for that earlier from the Rex bashers. Ranked 16th in 08 under Mangini.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    +1 SOJF's see everything Jet related with a super negative feeling.. They would be a joy to take fishing.. The whine would be..We won't catch anything the boat may sink and I'll get sunburned and die from skin cancer..
    What I hate even more besides the bold "always" and "never" absolutes
    "They'll always be bad, They'll never win again, I'm never watching another game..."
    is the revisionist history, tall tales infinitely told and retold

Your Polo Grounds days predate my fandom by a few, and I think some tales would be of interest to relate to us one day, but to hear it told by others the Jets and the gameday experience at Shea was paradise lost.

In Hess' era outside of 2 great years the Jets were bad more often than not, relegated to road games by the Mets, a true 2nd class citizen in their shared home field, which was better for baseball than football.

If you werent going to a game you'd never know the Jets played there, no Jets indicia anywhere and there was no waitlist for tickets should you fancy any.

Not even a lousy Hess truck for the kids under 12 the last home game from a man just as rich as Woody and 100x less publicly accessible, who made his money selling cheey 82 octane gas mixed with 15% methanol (much of it sourced from the Caribbean in partnership with Venezuela, although Chavez was not in power until around the time Hess died)

Etc.

And we're in the worst of times now

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    What I hate even more besides the bold "always" and "never" absolutes
    "They'll always be bad, They'll never win again, I'm never watching another game..."
    is the revisionist history, tall tales infinitely told and retold

Your Polo Grounds days predate my fandom by a few, and I think some tales would be of interest to relate to us one day, but to hear it told by others the Jets and the gameday experience at Shea was paradise lost.

In Hess' era outside of 2 great years the Jets were bad more often than not, relegated to road games by the Mets, a true 2nd class citizen in their shared home field, which was better for baseball than football.

If you werent going to a game you'd never know the Jets played there, no Jets indicia anywhere and there was no waitlist for tickets should you fancy any.

Not even a lousy Hess truck for the kids under 12 the last home game from a man just as rich as Woody and 100x less publicly accessible, who made his money selling cheey 82 octane gas mixed with 15% methanol (much of it sourced from the Caribbean in partnership with Venezuela, although Chavez was not in power until around the time Hess died)

Etc.

And we're in the worst of times now
    The Mets were able to get away with that when Casey had them marketed as lovable losers. That went out the window with .90 seats and .35 hot dogs not to mention a taste of victory.

16 teams in the playoffs and PSL's will do that to you.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    What's this thread about?

SAR I

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its an attempt to explain why SG and Rah Rah attack chatters as somehow not being good fans, merely because they deal with reality.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Good fan? Bad fan? There's no such thing. We are all just fans. So long as we still root for the same team and want them to win, there's no difference.

We just have different approaches on how to cure the ills of the team.

I think Woody is hitting the ball our of the park right now. His approach to fixing this team IMO is perfect. He's holding on to Rex Ryan because he REFUSES to fire one of his top performers. Whether other Jets fans think Rex Ryan is a top performer or not is irrelevant. The point is, Woody Johnson, the owner of the NYJ, thinks he is. And so do I for that matter.

I think where most of the disgust with the team comes from is two fold:

1) They do not respect Woody Johnson. They are JEALOUS of him. They think he's a "trust baby" as described by some on this site, and therefore they either do not respect the man. They also do not respect his Business prowess. I think it's crap. Woody Johnson has been preparing himself for a life of business ventures since the day he was born.

And if you have a problem with him inheriting a king's fortune? GET OVER IT. It isn't about to change. I also inherited some money from my father (god rest his soul), so by that standard I guess you do not respect me either? I don't give a flying f*ck.I'm sure Woody doesn't either.

And if you truly are jealous of Woody Johnson? Why not do something about it? Why not create or build a better light bulb or something? Then you can create your own fortune and have all kinds of "trust babies". Then, you can b*tch all the live long day about your worthless kids that never worked for anything and got a fortune.

2) They wanted Woody to clean house. They wanted Rex Ryan FIRED. That, to me, makes absolutely no sense. There's no logic or reason behind it.

It takes a long time to find a good HC. The Jets FINALLY found themselves one and now you just want to throw him by the wayside because you are mad at some problems on and off the field.

First of all, the off the field things? Mind your own f*cking business. Rex Ryan didn't ask to have his personal life on display. That is that bunch of vultures in the media you can thank for that. Yes, he is a bit of a character. That does not mean he isn't capable of being a great HC.

The on the field issues? More specifically, loyalty to Sanchez? I've wondered about that also. It makes absolutely no sense. If I had to guess, I'd say because he KNEW Sanchez was the best QB on the team. We all know Tebow sucks as a QB, and Greg McElroy certainly wasn't anything special in his very limited playing time.

A lot of fans have been victims of hanging on Rex Ryan's words. When he said at the beginning of the season, "This is the best roster I've ever had", you swallowed that hook, line, and sinker. Well, you need to learn to form your own opinion. I knew that was a crock right from the time he said it. Rex Ryan was using "coach speak" to take pressure off the players. That's what Rex Ryan does. That's one of his most endearing qualities.

Anything else that I haven't listed? All I can say is, when you look at the totality of his work (And I'm sure you won't. You are resigned to wanting to see Rex Ryan fired.), he clearly deserves at least one more season as HC. The lack of talent is not Rex Ryan's fault. You can blame the fired GM for that.

I say that thinking he should be put on notice. He should be put on notice that the team is EXPECTED to improve next season. They should make the playoffs or he should be fired barring any extreme extenuating circumstances.

Oh, there's a lot more besides. Not sure where you've come and gone from to be a Jets fan in ME, but :

People are still bitter over issues from the increasingly distant past like the Jets leaving their crappy Shea/NY stadium situation and even relatively minor stuff like not having training camp in the antiquated Hofstra facilities.

Most of these upset are the suburban LI fans who thought, and still think the Jets revolve around them and are nothing without their support but in truth they have been left behind logistically long ago. They can only blame the politicians they elected for that because even the lone remaining local pro team in their 'hood is now also blowing town for greener pa$tures...yet their local rich cable co. "trust baby" heir who also owns teams and did LESS to earn and acquire them gets a monopoly on Manhattan pro sports AND tax subsidies he doesn't need.

When the Jets left for NJ you have thought according to some fans they were heading to LA-their idyllic 30 minute LIRR or subway ride or 15 minute drive from Nassau was gone forever...

But really, who cares what some of these jerks like, they're hypocrites.

Some hate Woody for his politics before a down is played.

Others assert he has done nothing with his life and ignore the money he made in cable and real estate on his own, or his philanthropy.

Many non-Christian fans decided to hate and ridicule Tebow for his religiousity/beliefs before he played a down for the Jets.

(Nothing surprises me much, but I admit I was surprised at much of what I read online or heard at games, so much for tolerance)

Some of these also whine about the players who convene on the field at game's end for a quick prayer...but would be A-OK with a religious footbath in the mens room if push came to shove.

I didnt cover every idiocy that got/gets brought up for discussion (like the Giants training complex being closer to NM, lol) not enough time in the day, but Giants / Patriots envy and anti-Jet NY media fuel the crazy, and last year's SB was painful in that respect...adding insult to injury Pats trolls run wild and fan the flames whenever and wherever they can-such behavior is certainly not allowed on "their" fan site

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    anyone who continues to follow the jets and says they are a fan despite the Jets being "the same old jets" is a good fan. (Basically anyone who has logged onto this site recently.)unlike those guys who said they were jets fans during the 09-10 seasons and half of 11', then claimed they were giants fans once they reached the SB.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Au contraire, many of the very worst Jets "fans" - the SOJFs- can be found here 24x7. Although they unfortunately are part of the permanent fabric I can't tell them apart from the Jet-hating Giants and Pats fans who show up here too often, frankly.

Good fans can look at the Jets objectively, but they don't bore and annoy others by repeating the same negativity untruths unrealistic expectations and projections 10-50 x a day for months on end, as if sheer repetition will make them happen or not (although Braylon did return...must've been the magical 1000000th post )
    LOL! Pot, meet kettle.

But by all means, continue your quixotic jihad against the SOJF. I enjoy them.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    +1 SOJF's see everything Jet related with a super negative feeling.. They would be a joy to take fishing.. The whine would be..We won't catch anything the boat may sink and I'll get sunburned and die from skin cancer..
    Hey, man. The SOJF lifestyle isn't for everyone. but don't knock it, til you try it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Someone who at least hopes for the best. It is the guys who roots for the team to fail just so they are right about some JAG player I have issue with. We all had concern about people going into the year but I think most tried to keep it positive. Now rooting for your team to loose for a better draft pick still good fans just not smart ones.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    LOL! Pot, meet kettle.

But by all means, continue your quixotic jihad against the SOJF. I enjoy them.
    Cant say the same for your prattle, kid - your next fact filled post (#9300)
    might be your 1st

Btw, how's the Queens stadium petition coming along?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Cant say the same for your prattle, kid - your next fact filled post (#9300)
    might be your 1st

Btw, how's the Queens stadium petition coming along?
    Fantastic. Thanks for asking.

We feel we will have a lot of momentum for the push in 2108.

Can we count on your signature, or do you still hate Koreans?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some of the worst people on the planet are those who have the nerve to question other people's fan-hood (I know that's an over-reaction, but whatever). Who the **** cares if you sit on your hands blindly like a moron twisting in the wind, saying "Yes ma'am, may I have another?" to the team or if you're someone who would rather be active? Who really cares. Me, I'm active and hate those who are blind and ultra positive for no reason whatsoever, but I'm not going to judge them for it. If you're on this message board, you're a dedicated Jet fan. Period.

"SOJF"? Sit on it and spin. To me there's no reason to be an optimist when you're a fan of this franchise, but we're all die-hard fans. Period.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    What's this thread about?

SAR I
    This thread is a response to the fans who can't understand why some Jets fans aren't just jumping aboard Woody Johnson's love train and swallowing his propaganda whole. It's a response to the jets fans who are quick to label fans "SOJF" because they don't look at the dog **** on the plate and believe Woody when he tells us it's steak