Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm confused by some people's reaction.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Kimberley A. Martin ‏@KMart_LI
    Rex on his role in GM search: "My involvement will be late in the process....it's not there yet." #nyj #jets
    Which in my opinion means Rex will be asked his opinion of the final 2-3 candidates and to provide the type of feedback that will assist Woody in making his final decision. It is Rex's opportunity to INFLUENCE the man who has the final say, Woody. It is not a vote.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Have they hired a GM yet?
    LOL. Stop. You're raining on their parade.

Im positive

Really?? Show us those quotes...LOL The quote I remember Rex saying was that Sparano was a mirror image of himself.
    Im positive thats what he said,And yes he said the mirror image thing too, ground and pound. But i maintain he didn't want it run by Sparano.After he was hired, whats he gonna say.Im positive he talked about not liking the guy when he was with the Dolphins.And the way he said it, made it sound like there would be personality clashes, personal.

Jets Insider VIP
    GM Candidate: "I would want to focus on the offensive side of the ball in the draft and in FA. I feel there needs to be a shift in philosophy. The NFL has become an aggressive, vertical offensive game and the personnel needs to fit that philosophy."

Rex: :::whispers in Woody's ear:::: "I don't want this guy."

Woody: "Okay _____, we'll get back to you. If you get a good offer elsewhere in the meantime, I wouldn't turn it down if I were you."

Your a wise guy buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Mai Shu View Post
    HAHAHAHAHA...Kool-aid drinking much?
    Find something productive too say,if you have the brains for it, which i doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    GM Candidate: "I would want to focus on the offensive side of the ball in the draft and in FA. I feel there needs to be a shift in philosophy. The NFL has become an aggressive, vertical offensive game and the personnel needs to fit that philosophy."

Woody: "Okay _____, we'll get back to you. If you get a good offer elsewhere in the meantime, I wouldn't turn it down if I were you."
    Only problem with this is that Rex admitted himself that he held the team back with his offensive philosophy.

Hall Of Fame
    Only problem with this is that Rex admitted himself that he held the team back with his lack of offensive philosophy.
    Fixed

Rex having a say in the GM makes it WAY MORE LIKELY that he will be retained no matter what happens. Is that clear enough? this is getting as idiotic as basketball with the star players now having to approve who is coach and such.

The absolute best thing for this team would be for them to hire a veteran hard assed curmudgeon GM who would take over, rule with an iron fist and tell Rex to sit down and shut up when he lobbies for keeping the Bart Scotts and Eric Smiths of this world. The coach GM interaction should go like this:

GM: What kind of system do you intend on playing?
    Coach: Well a 3/4 with some hybrid on D, we want to mainly run the football on offense.
    GM: Thanks for that. You can sit in on the draft day when myself and the scouts pick your players. Then you can coach the players we pick. I will apologize before hand if I have to cut any of your fav players but tough luck.

Coaches, especially gurus like Rex think they can make chicken salad out of chicken **** every time. A Gm removed from that culture can see which players really are ****.

Fixed
    No because that would mean he had NO offensive philosophy. He did have one, believe it or not, G&P

Jets Insider VIP
    Only problem with this is that Rex admitted himself that he held the team back with his offensive philosophy.
    Rex admits a lot of things.

Problem is, he doesn't fix his deficiencies.

Why should I believe him this time?

When Woody said Rex would have a say in the process of hiring a GM, that shouldn't have surprised anybody.

I mean the GM is going to have to keep Rex for one more year. That fact alone is having a say in the process.

And for those of you who don't believe that, there is this simple notion.

We don't know how much input he will have.

And don't compare Rex to Isaiah. Rex has had much more success with the Jets than Isaiah did with the Knicks.

People here have to use their logic and brains.
    and when the new GM sh!tcans Rex next January and hires a new HC, that new HC may want to replace this year's new OC, DC, QB coach, ST Coordinator and multiple position coaches. Great. 2013 is basically a waste.

The decision to keep Rex makes zero sense. He will be fired next January and we start all over again.

Jets Insider VIP
    Really?? Show us those quotes...LOL The quote I remember Rex saying was that Sparano was a mirror image of himself.
    Yeah I remember that also. You have to say positive things before the season starts; he obviously changed his mind after the season ended.

I like this recent quote from Rex

"It's not a question of if it gets done—it has to get done… I have confidence in myself & this organization that we will succeed." -Rex Ryan

Rex admits a lot of things.

Problem is, he doesn't fix his deficiencies.

Why should I believe him this time?
    I saw him admit last year that he needed to be quiet. And he stayed quiet.

Plus as I said, I don't Rex has the capacity to be an evil mastermind. He can't be that and a buffoon. as some people call him.

Hall Of Fame

LMAO

Jets Insider VIP
    WRECKS says a lot of things! What do they all mean? It symbolic of bluster and bs. I want the man to succeed and fix this team permanently! But can he do it?

I don't think you get it:

The issue isn't what they are saying it's their actions:

A head coach having say in who the GM will be is completely ass backwards.

You cannot win Super Bowls without an elite QB and without having an offense that can score points.

The owner is clueless. Keeping a defensive coach with a tattoo of his wife in his QB's jersey is a damned joke. As if he wasn't a joke for sticking by Sanchez as his starter.

I'm sorry but you can shrug off the tattoo and say its immaterial but to me it speaks volumes about Woody Johnson. He does not take ownership of the Jets seriously. It was a factor in both Bills leaving.

I literally pine for Mangini at this point. At least he had a freaking clue on how to work with Tannenbaum to fill out a roster. The way this roster has been filled out and the way payroll has been allocated is abysmal.

The lack of honesty or transparency regarding building this team, with today's presser being the icing on the cake is pathetic. I'm not saying they have to stand on the Empire State building and tell the world what they are going to do this off season but as a fan they barely acknowledged that their offensive personnel BLOWS.

Furthermore, they completely dodged the question regarding how a "lame duck" coach being forced upon a new GM is bad for business and delays true analysis of said GM.

Lastly, Woody is obstinate in his desire not to mimic the Giants and how they built their team. It's almost like they don't want a franchise QB. They seem disconnected from reality.

I'm not even a football expert, but Sanchez in year 3 definitely was not a viable NFL starter much less a franchise QB. It was obvious to me.

Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    I don't think you get it:

The issue isn't what they are saying it's their actions:

A head coach having say in who the GM will be is completely ass backwards.

You cannot win Super Bowls without an elite QB and without having an offense that can score points.

The owner is clueless. Keeping a defensive coach with a tattoo of his wife in his QB's jersey is a damned joke. As if he wasn't a joke for sticking by Sanchez as his starter.

I'm sorry but you can shrug off the tattoo and say its immaterial but to me it speaks volumes about Woody Johnson. He does not take ownership of the Jets seriously. It was a factor in both Bills leaving.

I literally pine for Mangini at this point. At least he had a freaking clue on how to work with Tannenbaum to fill out a roster. The way this roster has been filled out and the way payroll has been allocated is abysmal.

The lack of honesty or transparency regarding building this team, with today's presser being the icing on the cake is pathetic. I'm not saying they have to stand on the Empire State building and tell the world what they are going to do this off season but as a fan they barely acknowledged that their offensive personnel BLOWS.

Furthermore, they completely dodged the question regarding how a "lame duck" coach being forced upon a new GM is bad for business and delays true analysis of said GM.

Lastly, Woody is obstinate in his desire not to mimic the Giants and how they built their team. It's almost like they don't want a franchise QB. They seem disconnected from reality.

I'm not even a football expert, but Sanchez in year 3 definitely was not a viable NFL starter much less a franchise QB. It was obvious to me.
    If may be backwards but not unprecedented ,the Steelers and Cowher were in the exact same situation and he helped bring in their GM or wahtever they call him in the Steelers organization. The same team that many here reference as a model how to run a franchise.

You most definitely can win a SB w/o an elite QB, it happened last year. Yeah , yeah Eli has two SB's look at his numbers this year almost identical to Sanchez's last year but Eli's elite and Sanchez a bum. Eli is two "circus" catches away from being Sanchez II in this town.

Get off the tattoo thing already , its a joke that anyone is even talking about that, a complete non issue.

Maybe a factor in Belicheck leaving certainly not in egomaniac Parcells departure.

Yeah I'm sure the Jets don't want a franchise QB, that's why they traded up to #5 to grab one 4 years ago, it didn't materialize it happens look at Todd Marinovich, Rick Mirer , Matt Leinart , Ryan Leaf the draft is a crapshoot sometimes you find gold other times you strike out. I'm sure when the Pats drafted Brady in the 5th rd they knew he was a franchise QB.

Bottom line is most Jets fans are too impatient , they've argubably had the best 10 years in Jets history but the win now or else mentality runs rampant here. Its hard to build teams in todays salary cap era , it takes a lot of luck and a lot of patience from ownership. Changing head coaches every two years is not the way to win championships. A lot of people want Rex fired , who would be his replacement and how many games before he'd be on the hotseat with our fans.

I'm a long suffering Jet fan , I was 5 when they won the SB in 69 and really had no interest in football or cared then. But I've had season tickets since the opening of the Meadowlands and that included some really bad years. I've stuck with this team and will continue to do so because that's what makes me tick. I can't believe all the negativity especially from the younger fans who feel its an entitlement to win every year.

Its easy to blast a team when they're down , but the true circus and abomination is how the media and fans treat this team.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    If may be backwards but not unprecedented ,the Steelers and Cowher were in the exact same situation and he helped bring in their GM or wahtever they call him in the Steelers organization. The same team that many here reference as a model how to run a franchise.

You most definitely can win a SB w/o an elite QB, it happened last year. Yeah , yeah Eli has two SB's look at his numbers this year almost identical to Sanchez's last year but Eli's elite and Sanchez a bum. Eli is two "circus" catches away from being Sanchez II in this town.

Get off the tattoo thing already , its a joke that anyone is even talking about that, a complete non issue.

Maybe a factor in Belicheck leaving certainly not in egomaniac Parcells departure.

Yeah I'm sure the Jets don't want a franchise QB, that's why they traded up to #5 to grab one 4 years ago, it didn't materialize it happens look at Todd Marinovich, Rick Mirer , Matt Leinart , Ryan Leaf the draft is a crapshoot sometimes you find gold other times you strike out. I'm sure when the Pats drafted Brady in the 5th rd they knew he was a franchise QB.

Bottom line is most Jets fans are too impatient , they've argubably had the best 10 years in Jets history but the win now or else mentality runs rampant here. Its hard to build teams in todays salary cap era , it takes a lot of luck and a lot of patience from ownership. Changing head coaches every two years is not the way to win championships. A lot of people want Rex fired , who would be his replacement and how many games before he'd be on the hotseat with our fans.

I'm a long suffering Jet fan , I was 5 when they won the SB in 69 and really had no interest in football or cared then. But I've had season tickets since the opening of the Meadowlands and that included some really bad years. I've stuck with this team and will continue to do so because that's what makes me tick. I can't believe all the negativity especially from the younger fans who feel its an entitlement to win every year.

Its easy to blast a team when they're down , but the true circus and abomination is how the media and fans treat this team.
    Ummmmmm WRONG!!!

Some of us were saying the seeds for the currrent implosion was occuring three seasons ago!!!

You are kiddding with this post right

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    I agree with this. I've been saying, we must look at the actions not the words.

When Woody began the interview process Rex was on vacation. How much say do you think he could honestly have?
    And of all the interviews that took place while Rex was gone, none are on our radar.

Dog and pony show all to get Woody and Rex's first and only choice: Cohen

Now the minority few who think this is a fantastic move, I ask this:

What has Cohen done since he has been here? We all know that Tanny was not a football guy. He knows numbers and contracts. So ALL the decisions or input on draft picks and free agents have come from Cohen, Rex, and/or Clinkscales.

So the scouting department and Clinkscales were probably responsible for most of the draft, so that leaves Cohen and Rex deciding on veteran free agents.

So do we think it was a 50/50 split between Rex and Cohen? 90/10?

Either way, will it be ANY different?

What other team in recent memory replaces their GM and all 3coordinators without canning the coach?

Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    Rex Ryan is basically running our franchise. When you have say in who you hire that means you have power over him. It's the way it is.

We already know that Rex has made a lot of decissions on players and coaches. And he has failed in many of these.

Rex just failed miseralbly in picking Sparano. Now Rex is going to get to have say in our GM and next OC?

What we learned today is that Rex has more say and power over our next GM and is basically running our team.

Not good!
    I don't mind Rex, or anyone else, running our franchise provided that this person knows that he needs to install a coach (OC, DC, ST, QB coach, etc.) that can develop the players necessary to have good players at those positions. I can't take credit for this statement, but I read somewhere on this forum that "player development is as important as the player". I can't believe how effing profound that statement is (and I wish I thought of it on my own).

When I first read that statement I thought of a guy like Jim Harbaugh in San Francisco as a head coach and a teacher of QB's. I'd bet that Mark Sanchez would be no less as effective as Alex Smith under Harbaugh. This is what I'm talking about - player development. Develop the players you have to be the best you can be.

I'd sign up for Rex to be the King of the Jets if he had the ability to put the right men in place to DEVELOP players.