Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Offensive Coordinator Candidates - No whining please

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Offensive Coordinator Candidates - No whining please

No we officially know we are looking to fill the OC role. We can start with Norv and Cam Cameron as that is what the media is reporting, even though there is zero basis for that report.

Cam Cameron was fired from Baltimore mid season for clashing with Joe Flacco. He has been known for a conservative offense but his team won games and rice has been an exceptional back. However he had a LOT of talent to work with on that team. Personally, I dont want him here, unless he were to serve as the QB coach behind an OC.

Norv oh Norv, where do we start:

Theres a lot of mentioning of what he did with alex smith in SF...here are Smiths numbers from the 1 season norv was there (2006).

2890 yards 58% 16 tds 16 ints (was his second year in the league)

Smith accomplished that in a year when Gore ran for 1,695 yards and caught 60 passes (approx 25% of smiths 257 completions)

That SF team finished with 7 wins

Prior to that in Oakland in 2005 they won 4 games while kerry collins threw for 3700 yards 20 tds and 12 ints all while completing 53% of his passes.

That season followed 2004 in Oakland where collins had almost the identical season: 3500 yards, 56% 21 tds and 20 ints.

Now we know that Norv HAD (please not the past tense) success offensively in SD with rivers, but rivers best seasons there 2009-2010 where on a RIDICULOUSLY stacked offense with 1 definite HOF in LT, 1 probable one in Gates and vincent jackson/malcolm floyd. And in every single seaon, his team underachieved (whether it was a reg season spiral or a playoff disappointment).

Lastly, his offense has historically NEVER had success in bad weather/playoff games. I pray he isnt our OC.

Hue Jackson - Has Ties to Rex from baltimore and by all accounts had a good deal of success everywhere he has been an OC. Had a lot of success with mcfadden in the running game. He can be blocked from interviewing by the Bengals which is possible (I think ) because they could lose Jay Gruden.

Hue has HC experience to help with in-game situations (timeouts etc).

My personal choice is Jeff Tedford.

He is an innovative offensive mind who has had a lot of success developing QBs. He "groomed" rogers which I mention not due to Rogers success (that is due in most part to Rogers talent) but this draft has a lot of 6'1-6'3, mobile-ish QBs in the Rogers mold (speficially Ryan Nassib) and whoever we draft will need someone to help them along.

He has HC experience to help manage in-game situations

Lastly, he is a smart coach who isnt married to a particular system. Whoever comes here MUST be able to mix in zone read plays....its is the direction the league is going and while RGIII isnt walking through our door, we can find a QB who can get an 8-10 yard gain 3 times per game using these plays.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Norv or Hugh Jackson. That's all I want.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    Isn't he too busy playing Wolverine?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can you explain why you like Norv Turner and what exactly he has ACTUALLY accomplished as an OC?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    In another thread I posted both Tedford and Mark Trestman as guys I would like to be looked at.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    In another thread I posted both Tedford and Mark Trestman as guys I would like to be looked at.
    Tedford no but Trestman absolutely.

But Rex was mentioning things like the Pistol. That means he's liking what he's seeing from teams like Washington and San Francisco.

It also indicates he's considering a forward thinking younger type of guy.

I would absolutely like Hue Jackson as well.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    What is treastmans deal? How come he has stayed in the CFL for so long?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not gonna happen. Rex burned that bridge.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tedford would be my choice. Hell no to Cam, and a slightly less forceful no to Norv.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    What is treastmans deal? How come he has stayed in the CFL for so long?
    He has interviewed for head coaching jobs before in the NFL. I think he has been reluctant to take an oc job but maybe that has changed. He has continued to tutor a lot of pre draft QB's each year and he has had a nice thing going in Montreal.

Good team, nice city, excellent Gm and one of the best QB's the CFL has seen. Lot's of success. If you look at his history one thing he can seem to do is get the best out of less than star QB's.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd love to bring Tedford in as the QB coach, but I'd be concerned using him as an NFL OC (as he's never done that before)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Can you explain why you like Norv Turner and what exactly he has ACTUALLY accomplished as an OC?
    i agree Norv thing is out of control!!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    I'd love to bring Tedford in as the QB coach, but I'd be concerned using him as an NFL OC (as he's never done that before)
    I wouldnt mind tedford as Qb coach at all....but not sure who we would tie him in with.

However, and this is what im hoping for from the GM is to find talent in different places. I dont care if tedford and the OC know each other...if we can find smart guys who can work together thats all that matters.

I do think rex needs some help with timeouts etc so Tedfords HC experience cant hurt

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Basically the Als are the patriots of the CFL - he is the top coach in the league, that's why he hasn't jumped to the NFL that quickly.

Either that or he's hung up on the extra downs and smaller field.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    RaiderNation4Life ‏@Nation4Life
    @MikeSilver Rex wants an OC just like himself. Hue Jackson would be perfect. Turned TERRIBLE #Raiders offense into top 10. #MissThoseDays

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Listening to the presser, if they were being honest, they are ready to move away from the concept of conservative Ground and Pound and move to an aggressive style on Offense. Cam (Yawn) Cameron and even Norv (old School)Turner are not a fit for that mindset. Tedford and Jackson seem to fit the mold better.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some outside-the-box thinking here for OC, going to the college ranks...

Josh Heupel, OKlahoma co-OC
    Chad Morris, Clemson OC

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He said he wanted to run the Pistol. Bring in Chris Ault from Nevada.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    there are more than just those 4. the jets need an earhardt style oc. none of that west coast junk. get weis or daboll or even mcdaniel though the patsies won't let him go to the jets.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets View Post
    there are more than just those 4. the jets need an earhardt style oc. none of that west coast junk. get weis or daboll or even mcdaniel though the patsies won't let him go to the jets.
    Why do you want retreads that have bounced around the league as OCs? Football is filled with actual rising creative minds. Why not someone like Joe Lombardi?