Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: NYJ assistant GM Scott Cohen gaining support

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora
    Hear that Scott Cohen was very impressive during interview today. Jets could end up promoting their assistant GM to GM
    I thought Cohen interviewed yesterday along with Ross

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Hear that Scott Cohen was very impressive during interview today.
    He could have spoke french and it would have been impressive to Woody. Cohen and Cameron will be the next 2 hires.

Rex is smart to bring in more trash. When we fail it's easy to throw blame elsewhere.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Scott Cohen seems to be a legitimate personnel guy. Here was the write-up when the Jets hired him in '08:

http://thejetsblog.com/news/jets-add...-assistant-gm/

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    For all we know Gamble supported sticking with Sanchez and advicated the "ground and pound" approach while Cohen after enduring the Sanchez era came up with an innovative way to get rid of the bum and start new on offense.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    For all we know Gamble supported sticking with Sanchez and advicated the "ground and pound" approach while Cohen after enduring the Sanchez era came up with an innovative way to get rid of the bum and start new on offense.
    I actually considered that. If Rex really wants to move away from the ground and pound, then Gamble wouldn't be a good person considering San Francisco's offense.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    You could be right. I think it's narrow minded to dismiss this guy simply because he's in-house.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    LOL. You really are obsessed.

You're the one with a crashed plane avatar.
    My patience for trolls wears especially thin during the dark days like today.

My avatar might be of a crashed Jet. But it's still a Jet.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hear that Scott Cohen was very impressive during interview today. Jets could end up promoting their assistant GM to GM

LOL

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

And the hits keep on coming.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    I actually considered that. If Rex really wants to move away from the ground and pound, then Gamble wouldn't be a good person considering San Francisco's offense.
    Cohen comes from ground and pound team as well.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    My patience for trolls wears especially thin during the dark days like today.

My avatar might be of a crashed Jet. But it's still a Jet.
    Patience is a virtue.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    Cohen comes from ground and pound team as well.
    Philly? No they had an air attack, led by McNabb.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    But that's a coaches decision. It doesn't mean he shares that completely. His job is to scout and find players to meet his coaches schemes but it doesn't mean he can't find other players.

Prior to SF he was with Indy. They weren't ground and pound with Manning

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Philly? No they had an air attack, led by McNabb.
    He's with the Jets now not Philly.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    He's with the Jets now not Philly.
    But he originally came from Philly.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    But that's a coaches decision. It doesn't mean he shares that completely. His job is to scout and find players to meet his coaches schemes but it doesn't mean he can't find other players.

Prior to SF he was with Indy. They weren't ground and pound with Manning
    Well considering he's not in the mix for the San Diego job after just interviewing with them, he didn't interview well there either.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    But he originally came from Philly.
    So! Gamble originally came from Indy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    A article written in 2008, announcing Cohen's hiring by the Jets. Here's some info on our new GM NYJ

http://thejetsblog.com/news/jets-add...-assistant-gm/

Jets Add Scott Cohen as New Assistant GM
    May 31st, 2008 9:35 am

A source has been telling beat reporters that the team has has hired former Director of Pro Personnel from the Eagles, Scott Cohen, into a new role with the Jets. The new role that the team has created for Cohen is that of Assistant General Manager … no word yet as to whether the position is actually Assistant (to the) General Manager .

Although all the information isn’t out yet, we do know that Cohen will be helping Tannenbaum with “day to day operations of the team.” From looking at his bio on the Eagles site (you have to use the Google cached version as they’ve already taken down Cohen’s bio) you can get a sense of what his skill set is, and how he’ll be used by the Jets.

Scott Cohen works closely with general manager Tom Heckert in assessing players on NFL rosters for potential free agents and trades, players available during the season, as well as players in other pro leagues (Arena League and CFL). He also provides advance scouting reports for most NFC opponents in addition to managing the pro scouting department and handling player tryouts.

With his background in college scouting, Cohen has been involved each year in evaluating players for the draft as well as being involved in draft day trades, projecting other team’s needs and selections. He has also negotiated contracts for undrafted and future free agents.

Cohen, 39, has spent the past seven seasons as Philadelphia’s director of pro personnel, and worked for Jacksonville and Washington before that. In terms of whether this would cause ruffled feathers from others already in the organization like Terry Bradway or Joey Clickscales, the source has told reporters that Bradway & Clinkscales are already in the process of getting new contracts and titles with the team.

This is a good addition as the Eagles are a well-run organization so the fact that Cohen works so closely with Heckert is solid. Also, hearing that Clinkscales is getting a new contract is good news.

I always am afraid that should someone like Clinkscales leave, that the organization might be in trouble, so adding another staffer to take some of the duties off of Tannenbaum, as well as distribute more knowledge in the organization is a wise thing to do should that scenario play out. Allowing Tannenbaum more time to work on the strategy of things with Mangini is important, and adding Cohen will allow ‘the new guy’ to take over more of those day to day operations.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well considering he's not in the mix for the San Diego job after just interviewing with them, he didn't interview well there either.
    So how does that correlate to what I wrote?

He reportedly "didn't interview well". Does anyone know what that means? If its true.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll buy this Cohen crap when it actually happens.

With Caldwell going to Jacksonville, I still say the new GM will be Tom Gamble or someone like Marc Ross.