Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: NYJ assistant GM Scott Cohen gaining support

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by N Y J View Post
    we want someone fresh, new blood. The fact is we need an outside perspective with zero ties to this team. I feel like if we hire an in house candidate it will be the same old song and dance. But who knows, maybe Cohen is the best candidate. It'll be a wait and see. If he does get hired there will be a HUGE backlash that I don't think is warranted. I'd have to give him a few years first.
    Good Points. I think that is why most people want an outside candidate. I also think that people feel that Rex has too much say in personnel and wanted someone to come in a keep him in check. People feel that Cohen would just be another GM Rex could push around and get his way with.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    This is my point. You'd think if the guy was worth a damn, he's got connections from a multitude of places and faces. Yet, nobody's been picking up the phone.

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck.....
    Part of it is perception. He's from an organization that just fired their GM. Hiring a guy from here would be a tough sell for any team right now.

I'm not saying he's the best choice, but based on what's written about him he doesn't sound like a bad one.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    I could counter the above by saying that the Jets lack of success under Tannenbaum specifically is why Cohen hasn't received more interviews. Of course the candidates from Atlanta, SF, Indianapolis, etc are getting interview-- those teams made the playoffs. Cohen may be extremely qualified...yet simply stuck under the follies of Tannenbaum and the Jets 6-10 finish to the season...

Again, I'm not necessarily advocating FOR Cohen...I just think it's silly to hate on him before he's done anything.
    That doesn't speak to Cohen's contacts (or lack thereof) in other org. he's worked with over the years.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    1. He appears to be the "last resort" candidate, not a first-choice.

2. He is an internal candidate at a time I believe we need an injection of new, outside, thinking at the GM position.

3. Right or wrong, he is "tainted" by having worked under Tannenbaum and Bradway, by extention.

4. He is not a "name" candidate that most fans have heard of (unliek Gamble, for example, or Caldwell).
    Or he was the ONLY serious candidate considered and everything else was BS window dressing.

That is what I believe this is!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post
    He worked for Tannenbaum the last few years.

Looking at his bio he has a strong scouting background, having worked for the Redskins (under Charlie Casserly), the Jaguars (in the late '90s when they were good), and for the Eagles at the height of Andy Reid's tenure (he worked under Tom Heckert).

If this guy was not associated with the Jets, this board would like him. He fits the description of what most on here want out of a GM. But he's an internal candidate, and that's unpopular right now.
    exactly. and even if he was the most qualified candidate (which he may or may not be), fans wouldn't like the choice.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post
    Part of it is perception. He's from an organization that just fired their GM. Hiring a guy from here would be a tough sell for any team right now.

I'm not saying he's the best choice, but based on what's written about him he doesn't sound like a bad one.
    He's the worst of a dwindling number of candidates.

I have no doubt he's our next GM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I could counter the above by saying that the Jets lack of success under Tannenbaum specifically is why Cohen hasn't received more interviews. Of course the candidates from Atlanta, SF, Indianapolis, etc are getting interview-- those teams made the playoffs. Cohen may be extremely qualified...yet simply stuck under the follies of Tannenbaum and the Jets 6-10 finish to the season...

Again, I'm not necessarily advocating FOR Cohen...I just think it's silly to hate on him before he's done anything.
    I don't doubt this.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He was hired here for a reason correct? Teams hire people that fit in with their line of thinking and their philosophy. If in the interview with Tanny Cohen said, "Sanchez sucks, I like having lots of picks instead of treading them and contracts to Holmes and sanchez were stupid. I doubt if he would have gotten the job.

We simply have no idea but most people want a person from the outside who can come in, evaluate things and do what is necessary. Rex Ryan is a very strong personality and we don't want another Rex Tanny relationship.

He may be a fine GM we don't know.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Only the Browns have expressed interest.

I repeat for clarification.... THE BROWNS.

And even they haven't scheduled an interview.

If Cohen had any talent (perceived or otherwise) he'd at least be getting an interview here and there. but so far....

not true at all. do you know how many good candidates are out there flying under the radar who haven't gotten calls either? a few people said gamble and caldwell were good candidates and BAM they're the hot names, forget everyone else.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    What would really be bad is if his name was Marty Cohen and he was Spanish..

lmao

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good post

As others have said, if Cohen was an outside candidate half of this board would be screaming for us to not let him leave the building after his interview.

Strong scouting background and was an assistant to Charlie Casserly on the Skins back in the day.

Cohen isn't my first choice, but I certainly wouldn't jump off a bridge if we promoted him like most of you guys would.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm as pro-Caldwell and pro-Gamble as anyone else on this board. I'd love to bring in an outside hire and a fresh perspective.

But why does everyone assume Scott Cohen is a terrible choice? He's not physically attached at the hip to Mike Tannenbaum. He is his own man. He has a long track record of scouting and personnel at various teams around the NFL. We shouldn't simply hire someone because they're from outside the organization. If Cohen is the best man for the job, then he should be hired. Unless someone has specifics of Cohen induced screwups...don't pin Tannenbaum's mismanagement on Cohen. For example, Terry Bradway really wanted the Jets to draft Russell Wilson...Tannenbaum did not pull the trigger on that. Ultimately, Tannenbaum has been at fault in recent years.
    Cohen has strong ties to previous moves the organization made under the guy who was just fired. You can't honestly believe that Cohen was divorced from all of Tannenbaum's blunders. Like he was the guy sitting in the room screaming "NO" at all of the mistakes. I don't buy that for a second. He may have some different ideas and directions he wants to take the organization, but I'm sure he feels very invested in certain players and moves made by Tannenbaum.

We need someone with no ties to the previous regime. This is not rocket science. Having a long track record of scouting also doesn't mean you were a good scout.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    Or he was the ONLY serious candidate considered and everything else was BS window dressing.

That is what I believe this is!
    I don't believe that is the case here. Woody used these interviews to get each guys perspectives and evaluated them. More than anything it opened his mind to what Mike was doing here as comparison.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by JETFAN1; 01-09-2013 at 11:08 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. How much input has he had the last 4 years? If a lot, there's a problem. If its a little, what makes you think his voice will be heard and will he REALLY have a say over Rex- who we know doesn't know **** about building a team.

2. The circus culture that exists will never change. Only successful organizations should promote from within. Woody said we need changes, this isn't it.

3. As many have said, he is a last resort. Does this mean he gets a new contract? If so does that mean 3 more years of Rex? Since everyone got the impression that he is subordinate to Rex, can he fire Rex? Also, this prevents the Jets from getting on the right track after next seasons disaster.

This team has 10 starters under contract next season. We are getting all new coordinators, new QB and secondary coaches. Why the hell is Rex the one left standing. The one figure that is preventing us from bringing in quality coaches and more importantly, a competent GM.
    Last edited by pcola; 01-09-2013 at 11:06 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    not true at all. do you know how many good candidates are out there flying under the radar who haven't gotten calls either? a few people said gamble and caldwell were good candidates and BAM they're the hot names, forget everyone else.
    No, I don't.

Who are they and what are their names?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Good post

As others have said, if Cohen was an outside candidate half of this board would be screaming for us to not let him leave the building after his interview.

Strong scouting background and was an assistant to Charlie Casserly on the Skins back in the day.

Cohen isn't my first choice, but I certainly wouldn't jump off a bridge if we promoted him like most of you guys would.
    Given how much belief and backing this organization has shown Sanchez over the years, I find it borderline impossible to believe Cohen would not give Sanchez every opportunity to start next year. There is no way anyone in Tannenbaum's inner circle the past few years doesn't have some level of belief in Sanchez. You of all people should want Cohen the least

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    Good point.

By the way, how many teams have requested permission from the Jets to talk to Cohen?
    This says it all. F*ck you Woody. You hired a firm to bring you the best available candidates. They did. Now you are ignoring them. Again, f*ck you Woody.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Good post

This guy will be an unmitigated disaster.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's the worst of a dwindling number of candidates.

I have no doubt he's our next GM.
    Please elaborate on this statement. What makes him the worst candidate? What smoking gun piece of info makes him a bad candidate?

Just because he worked under Tanny doesn't mean he's incompetent. Plenty of talented people work under poor management.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    b/c JI says so.