Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: NYJ assistant GM Scott Cohen gaining support

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    This. If Cohen is given the job, it pretty much says that the inmate (Rex) is running the asylum.
    No, it says Woody is incompetent. If Rex is running the asylum it's because Woody is letting him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    No, it says Woody is incompetent. If Rex is running the asylum it's because Woody is letting him.
    Did you feel the same way when Hess let the Tuna run the Team?? And he actually had the GM title as well as HC.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Did you feel the same way when Hess let the Tuna run the Team?? And he actually had the GM title as well as HC.
    Parcells was a two time SuperBowl Champion and just coming off a trip to a superbowl with another team.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    The only reason to promote from within is if the previously successful GM retires. Otherwise, it's just stupid. Tannenbaum is not going to have an assistant on his staff that has a radically different view of running an organization. He is going to have guys that think like him and back his moves.
    Or you have a carefully considered succession plan in place which a well run McDonalds has let alone a Billion Dollar enterprise. In management it is called a SWOT analysis an it is ongoing and comprehensive.

The fact that the Jets conduct most of their business by the set of their pants whether it is Tebow, or Edwards. This organization reveals time and again that they have no strategic plan in place and fundamentally I see no thought in what type of team and organization they want to be that should dictate what type of GM they hire.

This is their primary problem IMO.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    Parcells was a two time SuperBowl Champion and just coming off a trip to a superbowl with another team.
    That doesn't make him a good GM and in fact he wasn't..

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post

Are you comparing Rex to Parcells? Parcells brought a much more impressive resume to the Jets than Rex did. So I most certainly did not mind. Truth be told I am not against Rex having another year. However I against promoting a new GM from within. Cohen is one of the guys that provided Tanny with the info on which to base his decisions. IMO they all need to go.

Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    No, I don't.

Who are they and what are their names?

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=252490

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Are you comparing Rex to Parcells? Parcells brought a much more impressive resume to the Jets than Rex did. So I most certainly did not mind. Truth be told I am not against Rex having another year. However I against promoting a new GM from within. Cohen is one of the guys that provided Tanny with the info on which to base his decisions. IMO they all need to go.
    Granted the Tuna has the best record as a HC but he sucked as a GM.. To my knowledge Cohen isn't the GM and won't complain till he's selected..

But who is to say Tanny and/or Rex listened to it...None of us know, unfortunately

Didn't Marc Ross interview yesterday?

Why aren't we hearing anything about him.....

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    But who is to say Tanny and/or Rex listened to it...None of us know, unfortunately

Do you think Tannenbaum ignored his staff? Why keep them around then? In fact why would they stay around if their advice was ignored?

I think we hire Cohen, trade up to draft Barkley, extend Edwards and make sure we still have Holmes.

Then we re-sign Bart Scott, and Eric Smith for cheap. Keep the solid core of RB’s… and we’re pretty set at TE and OLB too.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    I think we hire Cohen, trade up to draft Barkley, extend Edwards and make sure we still have Holmes.

Then we re-sign Bart Scott, and Eric Smith for cheap. Keep the solid core of RBs and were pretty set at TE and OLB too.
    I think Bart should join his buddy Ray Lewis on the golf course.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by dustykeller View Post
    Didn't Marc Ross interview yesterday?

Why aren't we hearing anything about him.....
    He's from the Giants. No way anyone who had a front row seat to the circus that is Rex Ryan is going to keep him. I doubt this interview even took 15 minutes.

Do you think Tannenbaum ignored his staff? Why keep them around then? In fact why would they stay around if their advice was ignored?
    Reports coming out that yes, he did, or actually he sided with what/who Rex wanted and it ticked off the scouts/personnel guys...That was one of the reasons Clinkscales left...Whether this is true I don't know. I heard Francesa talking about it..Again, is it true? I don't know...But that is what Francesa was hearing/saying..and yes, I know what everyone thinks about Francesa..

Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    He's from the Giants. No way anyone who had a front row seat to the circus that is Rex Ryan is going to keep him. I doubt this interview even took 15 minutes.
    why would Ross waste his time in the first place?

That doesn't make any sense

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post

Then we re-sign Bart Scott, and Eric Smith for cheap. Keep the solid core of RBs and were pretty set at TE and OLB too.
    How are we set at TE? Both Keller and Cumberland are Free agents. So is Gree e BTW.

And at OLB, Scott and Pace are getting cut because we are $19 M over the cap and Thomas is a FA. We have Davis to replace Scott. Do you think we can play with McIntyre and Sapp starting?
    Last edited by pcola; 01-09-2013 at 01:18 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    I'm as pro-Caldwell and pro-Gamble as anyone else on this board. I'd love to bring in an outside hire and a fresh perspective.

But why does everyone assume Scott Cohen is a terrible choice? He's not physically attached at the hip to Mike Tannenbaum. He is his own man. He has a long track record of scouting and personnel at various teams around the NFL. We shouldn't simply hire someone because they're from outside the organization. If Cohen is the best man for the job, then he should be hired. Unless someone has specifics of Cohen induced screwups...don't pin Tannenbaum's mismanagement on Cohen. For example, Terry Bradway really wanted the Jets to draft Russell Wilson...Tannenbaum did not pull the trigger on that. Ultimately, Tannenbaum has been at fault in recent years.
    My biggest concern with Cohen is that he will simply be a puppet to Rex Ryan's desires and that we will have to wait until Ryan is gone (if that actually happens while Woody Johnson is owner) before we see any significant personnel improvements, especially on offense.

I don't trust or believe anything Rex Ryan says anymore.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by dustykeller View Post
    why would Ross waste his time in the first place?

That doesn't make any sense
    What doesn't make sense about it? Can you honestly admit that you think anyone from the Giants would come here and have his future being tied to Rex Ryan? Please don't be that naive.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    What doesn't make sense about it? Can you honestly admit that you think anyone from the Giants would come here and have his future being tied to Rex Ryan? Please don't be that naive.
    I believe his point was why did Ross even bother showing up if that's the way he felt??