Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast

Thread: NYJ assistant GM Scott Cohen gaining support

Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    What doesn't make sense about it? Can you honestly admit that you think anyone from the Giants would come here and have his future being tied to Rex Ryan? Please don't be that naive.
    Ross accepted the interview. Usually when that happens, there's mutual interest.

There's nothing naive about that, it's fact.

If Ross had any preconceived notions about Rex or our cap situation, he would've denied the interview a la Tom Heckert.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    I believe his point was why did Ross even bother showing up if that's the way he felt??
    absolutely.

Someone is paying attention.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

What doesn't make sense about it? Can you honestly admit that you think anyone from the Giants would come here and have his future being tied to Rex Ryan? Please don't be that naive.
    This is nonsense. Rex was given one year. Nothing guaranteed beyond that.

How are we set at TE? Both Keller and Cumberland are Free agents. So is Gree e BTW.

And at OLB, Scott and Pace are getting cut because we are $19 M over the cap and Thomas is a FA. We have Davis to replace Scott. Do you think we can play with McIntyre and Sapp starting?
    I was being sarcastic.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    I was being sarcastic.
    My bad. There has just been so many kool-aid drinkers out there.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    SOJFs are a pathetic bunch.
    What's more pathetic is placing labels on people and accepting mediocrity and not being willing to admit that there is something dysfunctional with this organization.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    I'm as pro-Caldwell and pro-Gamble as anyone else on this board. I'd love to bring in an outside hire and a fresh perspective.

But why does everyone assume Scott Cohen is a terrible choice? He's not physically attached at the hip to Mike Tannenbaum. He is his own man. He has a long track record of scouting and personnel at various teams around the NFL. We shouldn't simply hire someone because they're from outside the organization. If Cohen is the best man for the job, then he should be hired. Unless someone has specifics of Cohen induced screwups...don't pin Tannenbaum's mismanagement on Cohen. For example, Terry Bradway really wanted the Jets to draft Russell Wilson...Tannenbaum did not pull the trigger on that. Ultimately, Tannenbaum has been at fault in recent years.
    Don't know much about him except that I think if the reports are true that Rex was able to force his choice on Cohen's boss, I have doubts that that dynamic will change with Cohen there. I would rather be sure we have a tougher GM that will rely a hell of a lot more on the talent evaluators' opinions instead of Rex's.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    No, it says Woody is incompetent. If Rex is running the asylum it's because Woody is letting him.
    THIS.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    The only reason to promote from within is if the previously successful GM retires. Otherwise, it's just stupid. Tannenbaum is not going to have an assistant on his staff that has a radically different view of running an organization. He is going to have guys that think like him and back his moves.
    I think some of the posters here have never been in the military and in charge of people. You sure as hell don't always agree with someone above you and greatly differ on how to go about things. But, when your not in charge your job is to follow orders to the best of your ability not cause a stink because you don't agree as long as lives are not in question.

Rookie
    This says it all. F*ck you Woody. You hired a firm to bring you the best available candidates. They did. Now you are ignoring them. Again, f*ck you Woody.
    This is exactly why the talking heads and writers question the intelligence and stability of Jets fans. Was that statement really necessary?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I think we hire Cohen, trade up to draft Barkley, extend Edwards and make sure we still have Holmes.

Then we re-sign Bart Scott, and Eric Smith for cheap. Keep the solid core of RBs and were pretty set at TE and OLB too.
    This can't be a serious post. You're kidding right?

All Pro
    I think we hire Cohen, trade up to draft Barkley, extend Edwards and make sure we still have Holmes.

Then we re-sign Bart Scott, and Eric Smith for cheap. Keep the solid core of RBs and were pretty set at TE and OLB too.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I was being sarcastic.
    Okay. Phew. I was hoping you were but after some of the crap I've been reading on this board the last several days...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by wepnx View Post
    I think some of the posters here have never been in the military and in charge of people. You sure as hell don't always agree with someone above you and greatly differ on how to go about things. But, when your not in charge your job is to follow orders to the best of your ability not cause a stink because you don't agree as long as lives are not in question.
    Except in the NFL, you have better exit strategies and options.

This is far different than the situation we have. In the military do you interview candidates coming into the position below you and make sure they are on board with how you want things done? That is the hiring process in this case. If Cohen had a radically different approach he would not have been hired in the 1st place.

One can assume that one reason Gamble perhaps didn't interview well is that he has a radically different idea of how to run this team. Cohen might be his own man but it is a totally legit worry to think of him as a Tanny disciple and may be under the thumb of Rex Ryan.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    I could counter the above by saying that the Jets lack of success under Tannenbaum specifically is why Cohen hasn't received more interviews. Of course the candidates from Atlanta, SF, Indianapolis, etc are getting interview-- those teams made the playoffs. Cohen may be extremely qualified...yet simply stuck under the follies of Tannenbaum and the Jets 6-10 finish to the season...

Again, I'm not necessarily advocating FOR Cohen...I just think it's silly to hate on him before he's done anything.
    The burden of proof is on the Cohen advocate, not the other way around.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

This is exactly why the talking heads and writers question the intelligence and stability of Jets fans. Was that statement really necessary?
    Yes it was.

Hall Of Fame
    Yes it was.
    Not only necessary, but I suspect, entirely accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    What's more pathetic is placing labels on people and accepting mediocrity and not being willing to admit that there is something dysfunctional with this organization.
    +1.

I know that if I had the opportunity to take the place of my "former" boss, I would do things differently.

I constantly feel (when at work) that I could do things better than he could.

None of us know where the Jets would be in 3 years if Cohen was hired or if Tom Gamble was hired.

Maybe Cohen would have done things differently; and he has been with other organizations.

I also think him being with the Jets right now hinders his chances at other interviews. Like it or not, the Jets are perceived as a huge joke right now. What fan base wants / owner wants to interview a new GM candidate from deep within the Jets FO?

If he gets hired, he may suck; or he may be fine. Point is, we're not at the interview. If Woody feels Cohen would run things differently than Tannenbaum, and hires him because of that - fine.

It worries me that reports say Tom Gamble blew the interview. If this is true, is that the kind of person you want?

At the end of the day, we don't have enough information. But I don't really understand the vitriol/anger toward Cohen.