Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: NYJ assistant GM Scott Cohen gaining support

After watching the presser it means woody wants Rex to control everything and Cohen will be a puppet.
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    If this is the case this whole thing was a dog and pony show acting as if they were testing the waters even though they knew this was the guy the entire time.

Gamble, Korn/Ferry, going to Georgia etc...

I would be VERY, VERY upset if this were the case.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    When Cohen was the director of pro personnel for the Eagles, they went to 3 NFC champ games and a Super Bowl. Just because he was #2 behind Tanny doesn't mean he has Tanny's beliefs, etc. Cohen is still a talent evaluator.
    Deserves to be quoted again... Even though I see us going outside of our organization to hire the next GM.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Deserves to be quoted again... Even though I see us going outside of our organization to hire the next GM.
    does anyone know when he joined the jets, and how long he was with phily and if he was with teams prior to phily?

from 2008

Although all the information isn’t out yet, we do know that Cohen will be helping Tannenbaum with “day to day operations of the team.” From looking at his bio on the Eagles site (you have to use the Google cached version as they’ve already taken down Cohen’s bio) you can get a sense of what his skill set is, and how he’ll be used by the Jets.

Scott Cohen works closely with general manager Tom Heckert in assessing players on NFL rosters for potential free agents and trades, players available during the season, as well as players in other pro leagues (Arena League and CFL). He also provides advance scouting reports for most NFC opponents in addition to managing the pro scouting department and handling player tryouts.

With his background in college scouting, Cohen has been involved each year in evaluating players for the draft as well as being involved in draft day trades, projecting other team’s needs and selections. He has also negotiated contracts for undrafted and future free agents.
    Cohen, 39, has spent the past seven seasons as Philadelphia’s director of pro personnel, and worked for Jacksonville and Washington before that. In terms of whether this would cause ruffled feathers from others already in the organization like Terry Bradway or Joey Clickscales, the source has told reporters that Bradway & Clinkscales are already in the process of getting new contracts and titles with the team.

This is a good addition as the Eagles are a well-run organization so the fact that Cohen works so closely with Heckert is solid. Also, hearing that Clinkscales is getting a new contract is good news.

I always am afraid that should someone like Clinkscales leave, that the organization might be in trouble, so adding another staffer to take some of the duties off of Tannenbaum, as well as distribute more knowledge in the organization is a wise thing to do should that scenario play out. Allowing Tannenbaum more time to work on the strategy of things with Mangini is important, and adding Cohen will allow ‘the new guy’ to take over more of those day to day operations.

feel a bit better after reading this...

We Recommend
    Jets Take on Another Reclamation Project in Safety Jaiquawn Jarrett
    The Rundown: What’s Next for Jets Linebackers?
    Quinton Coples Makes Kiper’s All-Rookie Team
    Jets Bringing in Ruffin for a Workout
    From

@AlbertBreer: About to head to Houston. Can say this on Atlanta's Dave Caldwell -- Both Jags and Jets are confident that they can land him.

Some hope...

Veteran
    When Cohen was the director of pro personnel for the Eagles, they went to 3 NFC champ games and a Super Bowl. Just because he was #2 behind Tanny doesn't mean he has Tanny's beliefs, etc. Cohen is still a talent evaluator.
    Well, it's a pretty persuasive position for some pretty good teams. Lacks the wow factor, but I'm at least pleased to see that this guy has some real track record.

Thank you.

Seems to me that Cohen has a far deeper track record than Gamble and Caldwell based on this alone.

Funny, if the people btching about the move would take the two seconds to read up about him instead of complaining, you wouldn't have so many complaints after all.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    Cohen could be great, but he'll never be supported here. He's viewed as a Tannenbaum protege and was part of the last regime. The fans and the media want change, and Cohen is just too close to everything to provide that.
    Why would it be great? Why would you fire Tannenbaum if you were just going to replace him with his protege? -- the guy that was with him for all of the decisions that resulted in the GM being dismissed?

Forget the fans and the media - isn't common sense to go in a new direction if that is why you fired the guy in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by Sanchez 3:16 View Post
    Thank you.

Seems to me that Cohen has a far deeper track record than Gamble and Caldwell based on this alone.

Funny, if the people btching about the move would take the two seconds to read up about him instead of complaining, you wouldn't have so many complaints after all.
    Doesn't matter what he was. All everybody will see is "Rex puppet"

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    you bastid!!!

Schluberator & Gadfly
    I SAY WE GO TO W 57TH AND STORM THE OFFICES! WHO'S WITH ME!

so u fire tanny and now going to let his admin run the team lol

what a ****ing joke

rex wants to buy the groceries and make the meal but rex does not even know what the kitchen looks like

Veteran
    I'll admit I don't know jacksh!t about any of these GM candidates other than what I have read online, but with 7 open GM spots, no one has asked for permission to interview Cohen - not 1 team! I may not be the brightest guy in this forum, but something is REALLY wrong here (if any of this is actually true)!!!

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    is that his background?
    http://www.newyorkjets.com/ms/media-...en,-Scott.html

Prior to joining the Jets, he spent seven seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles as the director of pro personnel, where he evaluated players on NFL rosters for traders and as potential acquisitions as free agents, as well as reviewed players in other pro leagues. Cohen also provided advanced scouting reports in addition to managing the pro scouting department and handling player tryouts. While with the Eagles he was involved each year in evaluating players for the draft as well as draft-day trades and projecting other team's needs and selections.
    Hard to tell. It seems like he was somewhat removed from scouting the key players and dealt with fringe players.

Quote Originally Posted by norm428 View Post
    I'll admit I don't know jacksh!t about any of these GM candidates other than what I have read online, but with 7 open GM spots, no one has asked for permission to interview Cohen - not 1 team! I may not be the brightest guy in this forum, but something is REALLY wrong here (if any of this is actually true)!!!
    NO WAIT!!!!! THE BROWNS MIGHT!!!! OH LORD!!!

Said it in another thread, but is equally apt here:

It's funny, in a sad way.

I spend all morning promoting the "have faith" position.

Then I hear we're likely to lose out on both our #1 and #2 preference for GM, and are now favoring an internal lackey of Tannenbaum and Bradway.

How horribly dissapointing such an outcome would be.

Can't we just go back to Gamble? Did he fart during the interview?

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    if they pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to a search firm and then hire the guy down the hall, i think i'm done.
    Good Lord..... if the pundits didn't have enough to crucify the team about, now this. Spend $200k to retain a search firm to hire the fired GM's lackey.

Can't make this up.

I pray this doesn't happen.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Said it in another thread, but is equally apt here:

It's funny, in a sad way.

I spend all morning promoting the "have faith" position.

Then I hear we're likely to lose out on both our #1 and #2 preference for GM, and are now favoring an internal lackey of Tannenbaum and Bradway.

How horribly dissapointing such an outcome would be.
    + a gazillion!!!

Everyone here realizes the money Woody spends on the search firm doesn't count against the Jets cap, right? Woody hired the search firm to help him make the right choice. Maybe Cohen was ranked third by the search group. Maybe he was first. We don't know! Does it matter if Woody spent money on a search firm and they recommend Cohen? IT'S HIS MONEY!!!

And if it is Cohen, and he comes highly recommended by this proven search firm, isn't that a good thing? Who cares if Woody spent his money on this?