Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: NYJ assistant GM Scott Cohen gaining support

Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    And you believe everything you read in the papers?

Despite what might have been reported, Gamble had every right to accept the interview and discover the Rex prerequisite directly from the horse's ass, err, mouth.
    Not if other sources are backing it up, which they were.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    That's a very stupid mentality to go into an interview with. Especially given the situation.
    They go to interviews to hear from the owners mouth themselves. They dont just hear things from the media and say "forget that job".

You take the interview, tell them what you want, need and plan to do and go from there.

It appears as if the majority of the QUALITY GM candidates didn't want to join the circus. Maybe Woody should become GM?

Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    It's one thing to keep Rex for a year. It's another to be handcuffed by him. Rex said at his interview that he would get input from the new GM. That means Rex has final say.

No worthy candidate is going to to risk their future with that no-win situation.

It's not like Gamble won't be sought after in another year or two. If he comes to the Jets, WHEN Rex crashes and burns, he is going to take down everyone around him. Hell how many people are still here when he arrived? He is the last man standing.
    pcola, did you even forget what I said earlier?

If the Jets hire Cohen and THEN Rex gets fired, you really believe they'll turn around and fire Cohen the first year on the job?

The Time to hire a REAL GM(Gamble/Caldwell) is NOW. that way, WHEN Rex gets canned next season, that GM will have the power to do whatever he wants.

I have zero confidence that Cohen can even TIE HIS SHOES without Tanny's help at this point.

News Flash: Cohen and Tannenbaum are twins separated at birth---keep this on the QT.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Not if other sources are backing it up, which they were.
    You take the interview. You find out exactly how committed the owner is to the coach. It doesn't matter what was reported or how many people reported it.

You don't know until you know.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora
    Hear that Scott Cohen was very impressive during interview today. Jets could end up promoting their assistant GM to GM

Un****ingbelievable. Gonna be fuming if we hire Cohen. Why can't we bring in someone from outside the organization that has new ideas and a different perspective? This is so wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Un****ingbelievable. Gonna be fuming if we hire Cohen. Why can't we bring in someone from outside the organization that has new ideas and a different perspective? This is so wrong
    As I posted, I suspect that the real talented GM's don't want to touch the Jets with a ten foot pole. After today, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    It appears as if the majority of the QUALITY GM candidates didn't want to join the circus. Maybe Woody should become GM?
    I was going to say, they might as well just name Rex the GM because that's what he really is anyway. Only Woody Johnson would spend 6 figures on an agency to help him hire a GM, and then end up choosing Scott Cohen anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post

How do you spell Urkle? Is it Urlke? Erkel?

SAR I

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    pcola, did you even forget what I said earlier?

If the Jets hire Cohen and THEN Rex gets fired, you really believe they'll turn around and fire Cohen the first year on the job?

The Time to hire a REAL GM(Gamble/Caldwell) is NOW. that way, WHEN Rex gets canned next season, that GM will have the power to do whatever he wants.

I have zero confidence that Cohen can even TIE HIS SHOES without Tanny's help at this point.
    I guess I wasn't clear in my post. If I was Woody, I would have fired everybody from to janitor. I would have interviewed Caldwell, Gamble, and Ross. (And I didn't need Jed Hughes to tell me that!!!!!)

Then offer my top choice a 6 year contract knowing there would be one year of cap hell and then a complete rebuild in year two. And because I am Wody and know nothing about running the organization, I give the new GM the authority to hire his staff, the coaching staff, the scouting departments, everything.

Then after his fourth year, if we are no where near where we what to be, he fires his coach. In year five if it doesn't work out, then we start the process all over.

But if you look at the conventional setup like this, it works.

It's when teams try to get cute like Buffalo using analytics, Browns hiring a coach before the GM, these moves NEVER work. Add just about everything the Jets do to this list.

Truth is, none of us know anything!!!! We don't know the current dynamics going on. If every GM that we interview is not interested because Rex has to stay, it says a ton about how NFL insiders really view Rex as a Head Coach. I just laugh at how everyone keeps drawing all these conclusions before anything is in stone... Let them hire a GM, see how that press interview goes and at that time we will get more answers about who has final say on what.

This could all have been handled so much better if Woody would have just allowed Tanny and Rex to meet the press last Monday morning. When questions on their future would be asked they could have just said that they are meeting, as they do every year, with Woody later that day. The next day Woody could have announced the firing of Tanny and would have been able to move forward without some bullish!t press conference in the middle of his GM search.

Some of you may be correct in predicting Cohen but just let it all play out already and see where this thing goes. Trust me, you are all Jets fans and will remain that way. We all want a championship and we will all continue to ***** and moan every season until we get it... Even if we do get it we will still continue to ***** and moan... It is our nature!!!! We are Jets fans!!!

All League
    IMO, if the Jets hire Cohen, Rex is getting extended.

This move will be a long term failure. That is why everyone is so pissed. This isn't one bad year. This is year three of what looks like a long term period of bad football.

Good bye Sanchez. Next year we will have Vick. Then a Matt Moore type. Nobody even remotely qualified is going to want to coach anything of the offense.

Woody, if this happens, you can take my 35 years of fandom and shove it right up you @$$!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    Truth is, none of us know anything!!!! We don't know the current dynamics going on. If every GM that we interview is not interested because Rex has to stay, it says a ton about how NFL insiders really view Rex as a Head Coach. I just laugh at how everyone keeps drawing all these conclusions before anything is in stone... Let them hire a GM, see how that press interview goes and at that time we will get more answers about who has final say on what.

This could all have been handled so much better if Woody would have just allowed Tanny and Rex to meet the press last Monday morning. When questions on their future would be asked they could have just said that they are meeting, as they do every year, with Woody later that day. The next day Woody could have announced the firing of Tanny and would have been able to move forward without some bullish!t press conference in the middle of his GM search.

Some of you may be correct in predicting Cohen but just let it all play out already and see where this thing goes. Trust me, you are all Jets fans and will remain that way. We all want a championship and we will all continue to ***** and moan every season until we get it... Even if we do get it we will still continue to ***** and moan... It is our nature!!!! We are Jets fans!!!
    I agree with you. We will hang in there and pray that our day will come before the grim reaper takes us home.

Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    I agree with you. We will hang in there and pray that our day will come before the grim reaper takes us home.
    The better odds are our kids getting to enjoy that day and not us!!!

All League

Jump to conclusions??? We are just following the bread crumbs.. It doesn't take a psychic to see where the GM candidates are interviewing.

Also, Woody delayed the press conference so he and Rex could figure out how to spin Woody's master plan. Anyone who watched the Presser today and couldn't tell that every line was scripted is a moron.

The better odds are our kids getting to enjoy that day and not us!!!
    Sad thing is, that based on the current state of affairs you are probably right. I tried to dissuade my son from rooting for the Jets because I didn't want him to suffer as his father has. Unfortunately, he didn't listen to me.

Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    Jump to conclusions??? We are just following the bread crumbs.. It doesn't take a psychic to see where the GM candidates are interviewing.

Also, Woody delayed the press conference so he and Rex could figure out how to spin Woody's master plan. Anyone who watched the Presser today and couldn't tell that every line was scripted is a moron.
    I am not defending what is going on... I would have cleaned house if it were my call. However, I have read a number of posts in this thread and I think posters are blowing certain things out of proportion:

1. Rex gets to hire his own coaching staff... The GM should not hire the coaching staff.... This is the HC responsibility. You don't hire a head coach and force a staff upon him. You allow him to install his philosophy in every asset of the coaching staff and go from there. Anyone who is concerned about this just doesn't understand the dynamics of football or leadership. You can argue all you want that Rex is not capable of doing this but all that means is that he should not be the head coach. You can't get half pregnant. As an organization, you are either all in with your head coach or you move onto another one. Simple as that. Woody has decided to be all in with Rex as HC at this time.

2. Rex is involved in the hiring process.... If you are keeping your HC then of course he is involved. Once you finalize a candidate you want him to spend time with the HC he is inheriting and be certain as an owner that the new GM understands and supports the philosophy that want to have. If you are insisting on keeping your HC ( not that I agree with this move) then this is the only smart way to move forwar. A unified front that is on the same page. You don't hire a GM that is not onboard because everything will suffer. Again you go all in on one direction.

3. Rex gets final say in players... Can we just hire a GM first and then ask that question? Who has final say on personnel? I don't like a coach having final say...I like it when a coach and a GM sit down, recognize where there are shortcoming and at what positions and then allow the scouting department and coaching staff to present what they like. However, I think it is incumbent on the GM to have the final say. Lets see how this plays out as opposed to assuming that Rex has all the control. Any coach is going to be involved but the call must rest with the GM

Fans are getting hysterical and we have not even announced who the new GM is going to be. We have guys posting conspiracy theories, mocking Woody for hiring a third party to assist, generalizing that nobody wants to come. Relax, let the chips fall as they may before you threaten to jump off a bridge that you have no intention of jumping off of!

All Pro
    I sincerely don't know if I can continue to root for the team if this happens. My god the incompetence is just incredible.

Hopefully, these boards will start to clear up with people jumping ship