Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast
Results 521 to 540 of 546

Thread: NYJ assistant GM Scott Cohen gaining support

  1. #521
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,627
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am having trouble with something here.

    We are an organization that has had a bunch of poor decisions in recent years in terms of our drafting as well as some of our free agent acquisitions. We have an Ex-Gm who has been criticized heavily in some parts for relying too much on the input of others when it came to these (disastrous) drafts...

    How then does the assistant GM, a personnel guy according to the OP.... how does he not share a large slice of the blame for the bad drafts and other personnel decisions which took place on Mike T's watch?

    Frankly it boggles the mind.

  2. #522
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    21,447
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wepnx View Post
    I think some of the posters here have never been in the military and in charge of people. You sure as hell don't always agree with someone above you and greatly differ on how to go about things. But, when your not in charge your job is to follow orders to the best of your ability not cause a stink because you don't agree as long as lives are not in question.
    I'm a vet and the business world is similar. As a soldier they take away all your privileges early on and you get used to following any orders given. In the business world you listen to your boss and do what he says; however, you get a chance to give your opinion. In the military you don't dare question authority, you just execute order.

  3. #523
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,251
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    What's more pathetic is placing labels on people and accepting mediocrity and not being willing to admit that there is something dysfunctional with this organization.
    Accepting mediocrity? We went to two AFC Championship games in Rex's first 2 years. Then things fell apart and the owner has fired the GM, Offensive Coordinator and is bringing in a new defensive coordinator. We will also likely have a new QB next year.

    No one is accepting mediocrity, massive changes have been made. But since Rex wasn't fired some of you whine and cry, then get upset when you get called out for it. Don't want to be called a whiner, then stop whining.

  4. #524
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Midlothian, VA
    Posts
    622
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Because we need a complete change of direction. The odds of getting that from someone who was part of the problem in the first place are not good.

    The main problem is Rex has too much power, and if you don't believe that you should re-watch the presser. Cohen will not change that.
    Too much power? LOL If someone asks your opinion on something that is your imput. That may be all Rex is doing. Just because he has some input it doesn't mean he is the one doing the hiring like some of you have made it sound.

  5. #525
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Midlothian, VA
    Posts
    622
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    Not only necessary, but I suspect, entirely accurate.
    I was referring to the FU part.

  6. #526
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22,809
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    I am having trouble with something here.

    We are an organization that has had a bunch of poor decisions in recent years in terms of our drafting as well as some of our free agent acquisitions. We have an Ex-Gm who has been criticized heavily in some parts for relying too much on the input of others when it came to these (disastrous) drafts...

    How then does the assistant GM, a personnel guy according to the OP.... how does he not share a large slice of the blame for the bad drafts and other personnel decisions which took place on Mike T's watch?

    Frankly it boggles the mind.
    How do we know how much Tanny and/or Wrecks did or didn't listen to him.

  7. #527
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,251
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    I am having trouble with something here.

    We are an organization that has had a bunch of poor decisions in recent years in terms of our drafting as well as some of our free agent acquisitions. We have an Ex-Gm who has been criticized heavily in some parts for relying too much on the input of others when it came to these (disastrous) drafts...

    How then does the assistant GM, a personnel guy according to the OP.... how does he not share a large slice of the blame for the bad drafts and other personnel decisions which took place on Mike T's watch?

    Frankly it boggles the mind.
    Since you were apparently in the warm room, tell me how you know that Cohen didn't recommend a different player than Wilson/Ducasse? How do you know Cohen didn't want to replace Sanchez? How do you know he didn't recommend against Tebow?

    I am not a huge fan of Cohen, because I want a clean fresh start, but lets not act like we know whether this guy is qualified or not. You have zero inside information on this guy and your opinion on him is practically worthless.

  8. #528
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,113
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wepnx View Post
    I think some of the posters here have never been in the military and in charge of people. You sure as hell don't always agree with someone above you and greatly differ on how to go about things. But, when your not in charge your job is to follow orders to the best of your ability not cause a stink because you don't agree as long as lives are not in question.
    equally known is that a butterbar doesn't know **** and leans on the the SFC's experience in most cases in a platoon.

    Not sure what branch you were in but a quick way for a butterbar to get in trouble is to come into a situation thinking he's got all of the answers.

    If you don't think a new GM, just hired, can't be intimidated, I'm not sure what military you were in. A new lieutenant always relies on those with more experience.

  9. #529
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    21,447
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wepnx View Post
    Too much power? LOL If someone asks your opinion on something that is your imput. That may be all Rex is doing. Just because he has some input it doesn't mean he is the one doing the hiring like some of you have made it sound.
    I agree. There is too much over reaction before we see the results.

  10. #530
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    43,002
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    I agree. There is too much over reaction before we see the results.
    Remember that Richard Simmons tape "Sweating to the Oldies"?? JI has their own exercise routine called jumping to conclusions..

  11. #531
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    21,447
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Remember that Richard Simmons tape "Sweating to the Oldies"?? JI has their own exercise routine called jumping to conclusions..
    Funny

  12. #532
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,946
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Accepting mediocrity? We went to two AFC Championship games in Rex's first 2 years. Then things fell apart and the owner has fired the GM, Offensive Coordinator and is bringing in a new defensive coordinator. We will also likely have a new QB next year.

    No one is accepting mediocrity, massive changes have been made. But since Rex wasn't fired some of you whine and cry, then get upset when you get called out for it. Don't want to be called a whiner, then stop whining.
    You perceive it as whining because you don't like to read or hear what some of us have to say. Pointing out obvious problems. Problems that are readily obvious to people on the outside looking in.

    Yes, we can all hang our collective hats on the momumentous occasions of TWO CONSECUTIVE AFCCG'S!!! I can't think of anything that has been used more as a talking point on this board to excuse the dysfunction that has permeated this organization for the last two years than the TWO CONSECUTIVE AFCCG'S!!! Well, those days are in the past. And things have gotten a lot worse since then. A LOT worse.

    Yes, changes have been made. An OC was fired one year after the last great change, the firing of our old OC. Who, by most accounts was hand-picked by our HC who apparently wasn't happy that he had to live with the original OC. But of course, the Rex apologists will find any snipet of information that tries to suggest that Ryan didn't pick Sparano.

    Yes, Rex SHOULD have been fired. Ryan himself expected to be fired. That, in itself, speaks volumes.

    But then, I suppose many of you fully believe him when he says he's going to completely change his ways. "I promise I'll be good. I won't do it again. I'll change" We all have probably said that at one point in our lives. Except for most of us, we were 5 years old at the time.

    Many many times, a GM is hired and comes into a situation where there's cap problems and personnel problems. That's normal. That's to be expected. Otherwise, why would the old GM not be there. But to mandate to a prospective GM that he has no control over who he wants as his HC to implement the changes he'll be entrusted to make, has got to be one of the stupidest ways of doing business on the planet. If the GM wants to keep Ryan, let HIM make that decision. Allowing him to fire Ryan after one year is not productive either. All it does is set back the organization another year. The GM wants to start making changes immediately and putting people in place to implement those changes. The coaching staff is part of that. Also, letting Rex Ryan pick his CS is another exercise in stupidity. Especially if Ryan won't be here next year.

  13. #533
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,801
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets problems on offense can be fixed by any half-way decent GM:

    QB: Sign a cheap vet (Garrard, Henne) and draft a qb in rds 2 or 3

    WR: We're actually not too bad here. Tone and Hill should both be back next season healthy. Kerley is a pretty good slot receiver. Resigning Braylon Edwards is a no-brainer.

    RB: Dime a dozen in the draft or sign Bush or Hillis in FA. Greene sucks and should be gone. Powell can be a decent 2-down back if you improve the blocking.

    OL: Draft Warmack in rd 1 and/or Warford or Bond in the later rounds. Add beef to the Guard position.

    TE: Resign Keller to a 1 yr deal at around $1-2 mil. Nobody's paying him. Also draft or sign a blocking TE.


    OC: Get away from "ground n' pound". Hire someone with new ideas who will regularly go 4 or even 5 wide instead of letting defenses just stack 8-9 in the box and blitz us all day like they did with Schitty and Soprano.

  14. #534
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Midlothian, VA
    Posts
    622
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    equally known is that a butterbar doesn't know **** and leans on the the SFC's experience in most cases in a platoon.

    Not sure what branch you were in but a quick way for a butterbar to get in trouble is to come into a situation thinking he's got all of the answers.

    If you don't think a new GM, just hired, can't be intimidated, I'm not sure what military you were in. A new lieutenant always relies on those with more experience.
    Not always. I have have seen many LT's come in full of fire and not listen to a word the platoon SGT say at all. This happened more and more as the nineties came to a close. I am retired Army. Some rely in the experience some don't and do things totally their way. And no it's not just to me. I have seen it many times and have had to go over someone's head because it was killing the morale. Now the owner doesn't strike me as a strong personality but he's also not stupid. If he was he would have lost the money he inherited long ago. Despite what many on here think Woody J. isn't an uneducated man nor a fool.

  15. #535
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    21,447
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wepnx View Post
    Not always. I have have seen many LT's come in full of fire and not listen to a word the platoon SGT say at all. This happened more and more as the nineties came to a close. I am retired Army. Some rely in the experience some don't and do things totally their way. And no it's not just to me. I have seen it many times and have had to go over someone's head because it was killing the morale. Now the owner doesn't strike me as a strong personality but he's also not stupid. If he was he would have lost the money he inherited long ago. Despite what many on here think Woody J. isn't an uneducated man norW a fool.
    Just for comparison sake, Woody is personally worth 3.5 Billion. At 2% CD that is 70 mill a year. He doesn't need to be a strong personality or whatever. He's got a gorgeous wife,life and does the Jet thing as a hobby. He wants to put a SB product on the market. Rich people hire Executives all the time. He likes Rex and believes his shtick. Time will tell who is right.

  16. #536
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,946
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Just for comparison sake, Woody is personally worth 3.5 Billion. At 2% CD that is 70 mill a year. He doesn't need to be a strong personality or whatever. He's got a gorgeous wife,life and does the Jet thing as a hobby. He wants to put a SB product on the market. Rich people hire Executives all the time. He likes Rex and believes his shtick. Time will tell who is right.
    I don't know where you're getting that number?

    Last I read, he's not even a billionaire and has fallen off the billionaire list.

  17. #537
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like

    Scott Cohen?

    Way is no other team requesting permisson to interview our hot asst.GM?

  18. #538
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    11,638
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by harts24 View Post
    Way is no other team requesting permisson to interview our hot asst.GM?
    It was rumored that the Browns were "keeping an eye" on him.

  19. #539
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    14,822
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because they're not interested ?

  20. #540
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1,781
    Post Thanks / Like
    Scott Cohen? never heard of him

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us