Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: NYJ assistant GM Scott Cohen gaining support

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Every gm in this class has no name. None of them have ever been a gm before and people have become enamored with candidates just based on the team they come from. Most people just think of this as "I'd like to have a team like San Francisco or the falcons" but that's really shallow. We don't have a choice between bill pollian, Gil brandt or Ron Wolfe. People are treating these candidates as if they've won multiple superbowls. They're all nobodies and were relying on newspaper articles and things to tell us who the names are. It's not like we can watch the gm tape to see how they are like at draft time. Lets just see what happens.

Rit now the only thing that really concerns me is the philosophy the new gm brings. I want to see a gy that places emphasis on the draft and doesn't build through free agency. I want someone who isn't afraid to trade down and wants to pay players that we drafted that pan out. It's no coincident that teams that draft in the bottom 3rd of the draft are consistently the best teams and that's what I want to see with the jets. The philosophy is more important than the name.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    He just might not fit with what they want. We don't know what criteria these teams are looking for or placing emphasis on.
    You would think Korn Ferry would have done that legwork and weeded them out. OTOH Woody has no idea what the **** he wants other than 'a successful GM'

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Hopefully, these boards will start to clear up with people jumping ship
    True fans dont jump ship---But they also don't accept the status quo. We will continue to demand excellence and follow our team.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    You would think Korn Ferry would have done that legwork and weeded them out. OTOH Woody has no idea what the **** he wants other than 'a successful GM'
    Korn Ferry stole some serious cash in this search.

It's like when Dubya hired Dick Cheney to chair his steering committee to find a VP candidate and Cheney ended up picking himself.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    I am not defending what is going on... I would have cleaned house if it were my call. However, I have read a number of posts in this thread and I think posters are blowing certain things out of proportion:

1. Rex gets to hire his own coaching staff... The GM should not hire the coaching staff.... This is the HC responsibility. You don't hire a head coach and force a staff upon him. You allow him to install his philosophy in every asset of the coaching staff and go from there. Anyone who is concerned about this just doesn't understand the dynamics of football or leadership. You can argue all you want that Rex is not capable of doing this but all that means is that he should not be the head coach. You can't get half pregnant. As an organization, you are either all in with your head coach or you move onto another one. Simple as that. Woody has decided to be all in with Rex as HC at this time.

2. Rex is involved in the hiring process.... If you are keeping your HC then of course he is involved. Once you finalize a candidate you want him to spend time with the HC he is inheriting and be certain as an owner that the new GM understands and supports the philosophy that want to have. If you are insisting on keeping your HC ( not that I agree with this move) then this is the only smart way to move forwar. A unified front that is on the same page. You don't hire a GM that is not onboard because everything will suffer. Again you go all in on one direction.

3. Rex gets final say in players... Can we just hire a GM first and then ask that question? Who has final say on personnel? I don't like a coach having final say...I like it when a coach and a GM sit down, recognize where there are shortcoming and at what positions and then allow the scouting department and coaching staff to present what they like. However, I think it is incumbent on the GM to have the final say. Lets see how this plays out as opposed to assuming that Rex has all the control. Any coach is going to be involved but the call must rest with the GM

Fans are getting hysterical and we have not even announced who the new GM is going to be. We have guys posting conspiracy theories, mocking Woody for hiring a third party to assist, generalizing that nobody wants to come. Relax, let the chips fall as they may before you threaten to jump off a bridge that you have no intention of jumping off of!

Brilliant! Finally a jet fan with some decent perspective.....i dont see the gloom and doom everyone is conjuring up....This man is exactly right in his analysis of that PC. was exactly what i expected..

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    What you said is true, but I'm starting to think he's a crappy interviewee. Because there has been no mention of him in correlation with the San Diego job.

If it was just the Jets saying that he interviewed badly, then I would be skeptical. But now with an additional team in there.....
    Yes there has, the latest tweet said the Chargers wrapped up their interviews today with their last interview being Gamble, and Raye and Telesco are 'in the lead' but that does not mean Gamble is out of the picture there.

To me it sounds like Gamble told the Jets he was keeping his options open and wanted to wait until after the Chargers interview to decide, and the Jets are "interviewing" and talking up Cohen so they're not left high and dry in case Gamble is offered and takes the Chargers job.

Really it sounds like typical behind the scenes machinations. I think they really liked Caldwell but he was never serious about the Jets, at least not after interviewing with them.
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 01-08-2013 at 11:29 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am not defending what is going on... I would have cleaned house if it were my call. However, I have read a number of posts in this thread and I think posters are blowing certain things out of proportion:

1. Rex gets to hire his own coaching staff... The GM should not hire the coaching staff.... This is the HC responsibility. You don't hire a head coach and force a staff upon him. You allow him to install his philosophy in every asset of the coaching staff and go from there. Anyone who is concerned about this just doesn't understand the dynamics of football or leadership. You can argue all you want that Rex is not capable of doing this but all that means is that he should not be the head coach. You can't get half pregnant. As an organization, you are either all in with your head coach or you move onto another one. Simple as that. Woody has decided to be all in with Rex as HC at this time.

2. Rex is involved in the hiring process.... If you are keeping your HC then of course he is involved. Once you finalize a candidate you want him to spend time with the HC he is inheriting and be certain as an owner that the new GM understands and supports the philosophy that want to have. If you are insisting on keeping your HC ( not that I agree with this move) then this is the only smart way to move forwar. A unified front that is on the same page. You don't hire a GM that is not onboard because everything will suffer. Again you go all in on one direction.

3. Rex gets final say in players... Can we just hire a GM first and then ask that question? Who has final say on personnel? I don't like a coach having final say...I like it when a coach and a GM sit down, recognize where there are shortcoming and at what positions and then allow the scouting department and coaching staff to present what they like. However, I think it is incumbent on the GM to have the final say. Lets see how this plays out as opposed to assuming that Rex has all the control. Any coach is going to be involved but the call must rest with the GM

Fans are getting hysterical and we have not even announced who the new GM is going to be. We have guys posting conspiracy theories, mocking Woody for hiring a third party to assist, generalizing that nobody wants to come. Relax, let the chips fall as they may before you threaten to jump off a bridge that you have no intention of jumping off of!
    Thank you for the well articulated post. Today has been frustrating and a lot of us, me included, have used this board to vent.

That said, to continue on our discussion:

1. Rex is either a lame duck or he is getting extended. If he is a lame duck, him hiring the assistants is a fail. No one of worthiness is going to come here under a one and done situation. So if this is the case, a GM can say, "you are my guy and will be here whether we get rid of Rex or not. We would probably get a much better coach if it were Gamble doing the recruiting.

2. Rex should not be involved. One of the many duties of the GM is to hold the HC accountable. So instead of making the news with his YouTube videos, or tattoos, or his empty threats to the Patriots and the rest of the league, he shuts his mouth and develops players. The GMs job is to build a consistent winner where the coach's job is to win now. When the coach gets to pick the players we end up saying no to Archie Manning when asked if his son would be the first pick in the draft and instead of taking Orlando Pace, we end up with 4 years of James Farrior and a bunch of dookie.

3. Rex has had final say on players. This is why Wayne Hunter started the entire 2011 season and would still be starting if the fans didn't blow up. Funny thing was that Austin Howard was on the roster the whole time. This is the guy who was with Tanny when he received the phone call informing them that Manning was going to Denver, and proclaimed, " what about Tebow?". Nothing Rex has done to date gives me the impression that he should have ANY say on the 53 man roster. Make him coach the GMs team. And not Cohen GM. Someone for outside the building, not an internal candidate that has been a part of this broken culture that has plagued this organization since 1970.

Follow the bread crumbs. We have seen this movie before. We ALWAYS end up picking the wrong guy. Even when we hire a professional recruiting firm and solicit the help of Bill Polian. I promise you that neither of them said Cohenis the best option.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    In all honesty, if this guy was not associated with the Jets, most of this board would probably like him. As your link illustrates, he has a pretty strong resume.

But it's just tough to be objective at a time like this.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    from this article he in theory would be the perfect type GM.....JUST BECAUSE HES "IN HOUSE" DOESNT NECESSARILY MAKE HIM A NON CANDIDATE. IF HE WAS ON THE SAINTS or lions or 49ers etc., we would be putting him in a much higher category. I think might be jumping too fast on this guy just because hes tied to the team

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    Thank you for the well articulated post. Today has been frustrating and a lot of us, me included, have used this board to vent.

That said, to continue on our discussion:

1. Rex is either a lame duck or he is getting extended. If he is a lame duck, him hiring the assistants is a fail. No one of worthiness is going to come here under a one and done situation. So if this is the case, a GM can say, "you are my guy and will be here whether we get rid of Rex or not. We would probably get a much better coach if it were Gamble doing the recruiting.

2. Rex should not be involved. One of the many duties of the GM is to hold the HC accountable. So instead of making the news with his YouTube videos, or tattoos, or his empty threats to the Patriots and the rest of the league, he shuts his mouth and develops players. The GMs job is to build a consistent winner where the coach's job is to win now. When the coach gets to pick the players we end up saying no to Archie Manning when asked if his son would be the first pick in the draft and instead of taking Orlando Pace, we end up with 4 years of James Farrior and a bunch of dookie.

3. Rex has had final say on players. This is why Wayne Hunter started the entire 2011 season and would still be starting if the fans didn't blow up. Funny thing was that Austin Howard was on the roster the whole time. This is the guy who was with Tanny when he received the phone call informing them that Manning was going to Denver, and proclaimed, " what about Tebow?". Nothing Rex has done to date gives me the impression that he should have ANY say on the 53 man roster. Make him coach the GMs team. And not Cohen GM. Someone for outside the building, not an internal candidate that has been a part of this broken culture that has plagued this organization since 1970.

Follow the bread crumbs. We have seen this movie before. We ALWAYS end up picking the wrong guy. Even when we hire a professional recruiting firm and solicit the help of Bill Polian. I promise you that neither of them said Cohenis the best option.
    I understand where you are coming from... The lame duck theory just does not work due to exactly what you wrote. I had written in the past that if you don't fire him, you have almost no choice but to extend him. I'm not saying Woody is smart enough to get this, I can only hope that he is.

You can't effectively evaluate a coach if you don't let him have the coaching staff he wants. There are tactful ways to try and steer him in another direction or you make sure that he is accountable for his decision. (We could go into a ton of detail on this...) If the GM forces a coach on the HC it creates friction and is fraught with peril.

Beacause Rex is staying, the next GM will have to buy off on his philosophy, provide some advice, guidance and perspective to things that should be considered. I anticipate that this is where Rex will come into play in the hiring process. Korn/Ferry and Woody will want to make sure they are in unison and comfortable moving forward together...

In Woody's defense ( I hate doing this) He had 10 plus years of evaluating Mike T... At this point he wants to go in another direction...He has had 4 yrs of Rex and probably feels that the good he has seen outweighs the bad... Time will tell!!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Didn't Rex get the coaching staff he wanted this year? Where are they all now?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Korn/Ferry: "hey Woody, great news! We found your new GM!"

Woody: "Excellent. Where is he?"

Korn/Ferry: "Well, that's the funny part. He's been sitting in a cubicle outside Mike Tannenbaum's office for years."

Woody: "Wow, you guys are geniuses!"

Korn/Ferry: "We know. That'll be $250,000 please."

Woody: "Absolutely. I'll write you a check right now with this PSL money that just came in."

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Korn/Ferry No, 247,000 will do. We didn't have the travel expenses we thought we would. By the way, Cohen has not been infected.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    Didn't Rex get the coaching staff he wanted this year? Where are they all now?
    If Rex was President Obama then today he did the equivalent of firing Joe Biden and having Harry Reid quit.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post

Korn/Ferry: "Well, that's the funny part. He's been sitting in a cubicle outside Mike Tannenbaum's office for years."

Woody: "Absolutely. I'll write you a check right now with this PSL money that just came in."

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post

Woody: "Hey, BTW what's my new GMs name"?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Beacause Rex is staying, the next GM will have to buy off on his philosophy, provide some advice, guidance and perspective to things that should be considered. I anticipate that this is where Rex will come into play in the hiring process. Korn/Ferry and Woody will want to make sure they are in unison and comfortable moving forward together...

In Woody's defense ( I hate doing this) He had 10 plus years of evaluating Mike T... At this point he wants to go in another direction...He has had 4 yrs of Rex and probably feels that the good he has seen outweighs the bad... Time will tell!!!
    I guess my beef is with him staying. He doesn't deserve to stay. He has embarrassed the team countless times. The team quit on him last year. The team quit several times during this season. When was the last time a coach had A three year trend like this, to go along with all of the on field and off the field embarrassments, yet he is able to usurp power to become HC and quasi-GM?

Rex picked all of his assistants with the only exception being Schotty. And the fact that Schotty wasnt replaced after his first season, meant he was Rex's OC. He hand picked Sporano before we had the chance to even talk to Haley. He kept Cavanaugh for 4 years. His closest friend and DC felt it necessary to be a rat to Manish. Rex is taking flak for his ex-players, media, and now assistants are showing no respect for him. The only person that sees any redeemable qualities in him is Woody.

I think the organization has been sending mixed messages meaning that they are indecisive in this whole approach.

Why did we wait until today to fire Sporano? Was it because it was Rex's idea? If that was the case, then why was the FO (Cohen or Bradway) reaching out to Cameron while Rex was on sabbatical?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    I guess my beef is with him staying. He doesn't deserve to stay. He has embarrassed the team countless times. The team quit on him last year. The team quit several times during this season. When was the last time a coach had A three year trend like this, to go along with all of the on field and off the field embarrassments, yet he is able to usurp power to become HC and quasi-GM?

Rex picked all of his assistants with the only exception being Schotty. And the fact that Schotty wasnt replaced after his first season, meant he was Rex's OC. He hand picked Sporano before we had the chance to even talk to Haley. He kept Cavanaugh for 4 years. His closest friend and DC felt it necessary to be a rat to Manish. Rex is taking flak for his ex-players, media, and now assistants are showing no respect for him. The only person that sees any redeemable qualities in him is Woody.

I think the organization has been sending mixed messages meaning that they are indecisive in this whole approach.

Why did we wait until today to fire Sporano? Was it because it was Rex's idea? If that was the case, then why was the FO (Cohen or Bradway) reaching out to Cameron while Rex was on sabbatical?
    Why do you feel the team quit on him? Do you believe they were more talented than their record showed? I don't. Frankly, I think it is a miracle the offense did not cause a mutiny with the defense.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    Why do you feel the team quit on him? Do you believe they were more talented than their record showed? I don't. Frankly, I think it is a miracle the offense did not cause a mutiny with the defense.
    11 sacks....yeah that is quitting. Getting beat the last 3 games against **** teams.....something to be said for that as well.