Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 546

Thread: NYJ assistant GM Scott Cohen gaining support

  1. #201
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    It's amazing really.

    He has been here four years. His DC wants out. He has fired 2 OCs. He got his GM fired. And the new GM has to be on board with him being in place for the foreseeable future.

    We should all play office politics as well as Rex Ryan.
    Didn't it play out for Herm like this too if I recall? Got coordinators fired, eventually the GM (Bradway), then finally he was shown the door. The head coach is always looking for somebody else to scapegoat.

  2. #202
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    14,653
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Not a good metaphor to use when speaking to a graduate (Undergrad and Masters) from Montclair State UNIVERSITY.

    And that was my first choice of school for their Broadcasting Department.
    LOL...I had no idea. Sorry. I just used them because they were my safety school.

  3. #203
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Didn't it play out for Herm like this too if I recall? Got coordinators fired, eventually the GM (Bradway), then finally he was shown the door. The head coach is always looking for somebody else to scapegoat.
    Herm wasn't shown the door. To my surprise Herm saw it coming and like BB better dealed our owner before he could show him the door.

  4. #204
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    Good Lord..... if the pundits didn't have enough to crucify the team about, now this. Spend $200k to retain a search firm to hire the fired GM's lackey.

    Can't make this up.

    I pray this doesn't happen.
    They offered Caldwell the job. There was a post titled 'GM job Caldwell's for the taking', or something like that. Days ago. He turned them down.

  5. #205
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    Herm wasn't shown the door. To my surprise Herm saw it coming and like BB better dealed our owner before he could show him the door.
    Well he got himself traded to the Chiefs, right? Maybe Rex can negotiate a similar escape...

  6. #206
    Does anyone have a bio on Cohen?

  7. #207
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    They offered Caldwell the job. There was a post titled 'GM job Caldwell's for the taking', or something like that. Days ago. He turned them down.
    I have to think Rex being forced on him played a hand in him choosing Jacksonville over the Jets. That or the higher draft pick this season. There's no other logical reason to go that organization as they are in an invisible market and have the smallest fanbase in the league. Neither team has a good QB on the roster and both have bust 1st round guys probably stuck on the roster for at least another year (Gabbert, Sanchez).

  8. #208
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    Cardinals had a weeklong search for their new GM and they hired from within.

    So if you're counting at home...

    Open GM jobs: Jets, Chargers, Jags, Chiefs, Browns, Panthers, Cardinals (just filled).

    Only 1 of 7 filled.

    Caldwell, Gamble are doing what they are supposed to be doing. It's not the Jets fault they haven't gotten one yet.

    think things through here. come on
    Does anyone know if those other openings other than Chargers and Jags are competing for the same candidates as the Jets? Or what are those teams doing?

  9. #209
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    I have to think Rex being forced on him played a hand in him choosing Jacksonville over the Jets. That or the higher draft pick this season. There's no other logical reason to go that organization as they are in an invisible market and have the smallest fanbase in the league. Neither team has a good QB on the roster and both have bust 1st round guys probably stuck on the roster for at least another year (Gabbert, Sanchez).
    Problem is that they are going to get Tebow. He better be a believer in Tebow.

  10. #210
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    If this is the case this whole thing was a dog and pony show acting as if they were testing the waters even though they knew this was the guy the entire time.

    Gamble, Korn/Ferry, going to Georgia etc...


    I would be VERY, VERY upset if this were the case.
    No, I think they hired the firm to find the best candidates. However, once woody Johnson realized that they did not share "his vision" he settled for Cohen.

    This franchise is a disgrace.

  11. #211
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Problem is that they are going to get Tebow. He better be a believer in Tebow.
    I guess he said "tebow may not be a great qb but atleast he is not Mark Sanchez" talk about a poison pill, thanks MT for making it impossible to dumb marky..Will never forget you..

  12. #212
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Does anyone know if those other openings other than Chargers and Jags are competing for the same candidates as the Jets? Or what are those teams doing?
    I haven't heard. They very well may be, but they might just be good at keeping things. Dunno

  13. #213
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    (┌・。・)┌ lolgfy
    Posts
    33,133
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    They got rid of Tannenbaum and want to move in a new directon. They said as much at the conference. Why would they hire a guy with similar tendencies to Tannenbaum to replace Tannenbaum? If you are going to hire a similar thinker who agreed with a lot of the decisions Tannenbaum has made to replace Tannenbaum, you may as well have never fired Tannenbaum in the first place.

    And don't go with the "giving the impression" excuse. Fans and media see right through that.
    The new direction is 'south'

  14. #214
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    It's a lot easier to play when you have a fawning stooge like Woody for a boss.
    and yet he's the only one left standing. How easy can it be?

  15. #215
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Jets Land
    Posts
    1,262
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    You are really struggling with this aren't you? IF they hire Cohen it woudnt be because he was their first or second choice, it would be because the other candidates turned them down and took other jobs. Cohen is their safety net. Its like when you were applying to colleges, you have your "reach" schools and then you had your safety net schools. Cohen is Montclair State College, cheap, easy to get into and local.
    You are assuming you know what the f*ck you are talking about and I can pretty much guarantee that you have no knowledge of the inner workings of the Jets or their GM search. So therefore everything you say is your opinion so don't try to pass it off as a fact. You don't know if the search committee gave the Jets 5 possible GM targets and Cohen happened to be one of them. Just b/c a guy works for the team already doesn't mean he isn't talented. Cohen is literally the exact opposite of what Tanny was. He was a scout/personnel man his whole career and Tanny was an accountant. Complete opposites.

  16. #216
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    It was reported the interview didn't go well.
    He probably asked to be able to hire his own coach if Rex failed again and was told "you need to develop a close relationship to Rex"

  17. #217
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    You are assuming you know what the f*ck you are talking about and I can pretty much guarantee that you have no knowledge of the inner workings of the Jets or their GM search. So therefore everything you say is your opinion so don't try to pass it off as a fact. You don't know if the search committee gave the Jets 5 possible GM targets and Cohen happened to be one of them. Just b/c a guy works for the team already doesn't mean he isn't talented. Cohen is literally the exact opposite of what Tanny was. He was a scout/personnel man his whole career and Tanny was an accountant. Complete opposites.
    If this Cohen was any good wouldn't we have better players on this team? And, why did no one else interview him?

  18. #218
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    14,653
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    You are assuming you know what the f*ck you are talking about and I can pretty much guarantee that you have no knowledge of the inner workings of the Jets or their GM search. So therefore everything you say is your opinion so don't try to pass it off as a fact. You don't know if the search committee gave the Jets 5 possible GM targets and Cohen happened to be one of them. Just b/c a guy works for the team already doesn't mean he isn't talented. Cohen is literally the exact opposite of what Tanny was. He was a scout/personnel man his whole career and Tanny was an accountant. Complete opposites.
    You are right, the Jets went out of their way to hire a search firm and bring in all these candidates because they wanted to hire the guy that was sitting in their office all along.

    My point is, IF Cohen is hired it will be because other candidates turned them down and he is who they are left with.
    Last edited by sec.101row23; 01-08-2013 at 07:14 PM.

  19. #219
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    11,697
    We'll never win anything while Woody owns the club. The 'good' owners in this league generally win, and would not out up with (or instigate) the type of situations we've seen over Woody's reign. It's an institutional cluster****, from "I just want him gone" to "You can never have too much Tebow" and beyond.

  20. #220
    If Cohen is hired this is a disaster (I know nothing about Cohen) but he has been here since 2008 so he is part of the problem with the personnel and it will also tell us that no one from the outside wanted to touch this job which would be very troubling.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us