Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: NYJ assistant GM Scott Cohen gaining support

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    So you guys b*tched and moaned relentlessly about how winning any of our last 3 games would ruin our draft position. Rooted for losses some of you. Now you guys are gonna sit here and b*tch about losing those games bc you think the team quit? Which is it?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Led Halen View Post
    So you guys b*tched and moaned relentlessly about how winning any of our last 3 games would ruin our draft position. Rooted for losses some of you. Now you guys are gonna sit here and b*tch about losing those games bc you think the team quit? Which is it?
    Take your pick...

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do you think he'll be Cohen to the Combine?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I'd rather have Leonard Cohen than Scott Cohen, Hallelujah!
    Here ya go...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrLk4vdY28Q

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Why is Scott Cohen a bad choice?

I'm as pro-Caldwell and pro-Gamble as anyone else on this board. I'd love to bring in an outside hire and a fresh perspective.

But why does everyone assume Scott Cohen is a terrible choice? He's not physically attached at the hip to Mike Tannenbaum. He is his own man. He has a long track record of scouting and personnel at various teams around the NFL. We shouldn't simply hire someone because they're from outside the organization. If Cohen is the best man for the job, then he should be hired. Unless someone has specifics of Cohen induced screwups...don't pin Tannenbaum's mismanagement on Cohen. For example, Terry Bradway really wanted the Jets to draft Russell Wilson...Tannenbaum did not pull the trigger on that. Ultimately, Tannenbaum has been at fault in recent years.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think were done with "settling" on a candidate...I personally want them to bring in the BEST guy available..

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    I'm as pro-Caldwell and pro-Gamble as anyone else on this board. I'd love to bring in an outside hire and a fresh perspective.

But why does everyone assume Scott Cohen is a terrible choice? He's not physically attached at the hip to Mike Tannenbaum. He is his own man. He has a long track record of scouting and personnel at various teams around the NFL. We shouldn't simply hire someone because they're from outside the organization. If Cohen is the best man for the job, then he should be hired. Unless someone has specifics of Cohen induced screwups...don't pin Tannenbaum's mismanagement on Cohen. For example, Terry Bradway really wanted the Jets to draft Russell Wilson...Tannenbaum did not pull the trigger on that. Ultimately, Tannenbaum has been at fault in recent years.
    What would really be bad is if his name was Marty Cohen and he was Spanish..

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    we want someone fresh, new blood. The fact is we need an outside perspective with zero ties to this team. I feel like if we hire an in house candidate it will be the same old song and dance. But who knows, maybe Cohen is the best candidate. It'll be a wait and see. If he does get hired there will be a HUGE backlash that I don't think is warranted. I'd have to give him a few years first.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Unless he has the memo to Tanny saying I think re-signing Sanchez is a terrible idea, he is a bad choice.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. He appears to be the "last resort" candidate, not a first-choice.

2. He is an internal candidate at a time I believe we need an injection of new, outside, thinking at the GM position.

3. Right or wrong, he is "tainted" by having worked under Tannenbaum and Bradway, by extention.

4. He is not a "name" candidate that most fans have heard of (unliek Gamble, for example, or Caldwell).

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Unless he has the memo to Tanny saying I think re-signing Sanchez is a terrible idea, he is a bad choice.
    Good point.

By the way, how many teams have requested permission from the Jets to talk to Cohen?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    He worked for Tannenbaum the last few years.

Looking at his bio he has a strong scouting background, having worked for the Redskins (under Charlie Casserly), the Jaguars (in the late '90s when they were good), and for the Eagles at the height of Andy Reid's tenure (he worked under Tom Heckert).

If this guy was not associated with the Jets, this board would like him. He fits the description of what most on here want out of a GM. But he's an internal candidate, and that's unpopular right now.
    Last edited by Sourceworx; 01-09-2013 at 10:49 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    Good point.

By the way, how many teams have requested permission from the Jets to talk to Cohen?
    Only the Browns have expressed interest.

I repeat for clarification.... THE BROWNS.

And even they haven't scheduled an interview.

If Cohen had any talent (perceived or otherwise) he'd at least be getting an interview here and there. but so far....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    Good point.

Also a good point.

Cohen may be a fine GM option, but I think this organization needs a new perspective.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post

2. He is an internal candidate at a time I believe we need an injection of new, outside, thinking at the GM position.

3. Right or wrong, he is "tainted" by having worked under Tannenbaum and Bradway, by extention.

4. He is not a "name" candidate that most fans have heard of (unliek Gamble, for example, or Caldwell).
    +1

and to add in that Cohen doesn't appear to be on anyone else's radar... unless you count that one report from a beat writer that the Browns 'might' be interested in speaking with him.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is my simple assumption. Cohen told Woody what he wanted to hear. Pointing out all of Mike's errors and what he would've done differently. Also do not discount Bradway in all of this since he is in Woody's ear.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post
    He worked for Tannenbaum the last few years.

Looking at his bio he has a strong scouting background, having worked for the Redskins (under Charlie Casserly), the Jaguars (in the late '90s when they were good), and for the Eagles at the height of Andy Reid's tenure (he worked under Tom Heckert).

If this guy was not associated with the Jets, this board would like him. But he's an internal candidate, and that's unpopular right now.
    This is my point. You'd think if the guy was worth a damn, he's got connections from a multitude of places and faces. Yet, nobody's been picking up the phone.

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck.....

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Woody wants Rex to pull all the strings, the new GM will assume a Mike Petine type of relationship with Rex. The new GM will have no veto power over Rex

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post

On top of all this, the bottom line is that perception is reality, especially in a situation like this.

This organization is viewed by everyone from fans to respected NFL people as a complete cluster-F in every single way. And if we "clean house" by hiring someone from withing YET AGAIN, Woody etc will just look like the morons that people think they are.

Rex, while a respected defensive mind, mumbles and fumbles through his press conferences like someone who just doesnt get it.

Woody, contrary to some on the board who think investing your families money constitutes being a good business man, has never run an organization in his life and certainly has not exhibited a single quality in his tenure with the jets that would lead a sane person to think he can be a good owner.

Our QB, was backed the entire year by the HC, even though he has led every other QB in turnovers over the past 32 games, and finished 31st in QB ranking, all while hanging his head every sunday.

We traded for the most contrversial backup QB in the history of the NFL, and then didnt play him.

We just lost all 3 coordinators in 1 offseason. If that has EVER happened to another team, with the HC remaining, please give me an example.

The above is the bottom line and those are facts. It doesnt matter that westoff retired and the other 2 coodinators leaving are good things. It doesnt matter Rex had no where to turn since both sanchez and tebow were terrible. It doesnt matter that maybe Rex is just a bad public speaker and actually answered the questions honestly.

All that matters is that the NFL is like any other close knit group of people...they all talk, and if you want to remain a respected part of that group, you make respectable decisions.

Right now, taking over this butt-fumble of an organziation is clearly not a respectable decision for up and coming GMs.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I could counter the above by saying that the Jets lack of success under Tannenbaum specifically is why Cohen hasn't received more interviews. Of course the candidates from Atlanta, SF, Indianapolis, etc are getting interview-- those teams made the playoffs. Cohen may be extremely qualified...yet simply stuck under the follies of Tannenbaum and the Jets 6-10 finish to the season...

Again, I'm not necessarily advocating FOR Cohen...I just think it's silly to hate on him before he's done anything.