Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: NYJ assistant GM Scott Cohen gaining support

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JETFAN1 View Post
    I don't believe that is the case here. Woody used these interviews to get each guys perspectives and evaluated them. More than anything it opened his mind to what the Mike doing here as comparison.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    I just feel like this organization is so concerned with the wrong public perception and continue to do things backwards. This is exactly the type of thing the NYJ's would do under Woody.

Desire to hire from within, understanding there would be serious fan backlash, so make a big stink about hiring a search firm, bring in the three hottest names and then hire the guy you want.

(We all wondered why Woody so strongly mentioned the search firm - now we know why)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only reason to promote from within is if the previously successful GM retires. Otherwise, it's just stupid. Tannenbaum is not going to have an assistant on his staff that has a radically different view of running an organization. He is going to have guys that think like him and back his moves.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    b/c JI says so.
    /thread

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post
    Please elaborate on this statement. What makes him the worst candidate? What smoking gun piece of info makes him a bad candidate?

Just because he worked under Tanny doesn't mean he's incompetent. Plenty of talented people work under poor management.
    He's the fat, ugly broad who's left at the bar at 2:45am. Nobody else wanted him, so now as the Jets fumble for their keys, half-squinting to find the exit, they toss a drunken "hey baby.." his way and off they go. The only part of the story left is the morning of shame and the awkward "well... I gotta go to work.... yeah, I'll call you... sure...."

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    1. How much input has he had the last 4 years? If a lot, there's a problem. If its a little, what makes you think his voice will be heard and will he REALLY have a say over Rex- who we know doesn't know **** about building a team.

2. The circus culture that exists will never change. Only successful organizations should promote from within. Woody said we need changes, this isn't it.

3. As many have said, he is a last resort. Does this mean he gets a new contract? If so does that mean 3 more years of Rex? Since everyone got the impression that he is subordinate to Rex, can he fire Rex? Also, this prevents the Jets from getting on the right track after next seasons disaster.

This team has 10 starters under contract next season. We are getting all new coordinators, new QB and secondary coaches. Why the hell is Rex the one left standing. The one figure that is preventing us from bringing in quality coaches and more importantly, a competent GM.
    We havn't hied a GM or OC yet. How the hell do you know they won't be competent.Your not the only one who post those remarks, but there ridiculous on the face of it

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    Good point.

By the way, how many teams have requested permission from the Jets to talk to Cohen?
    Other teams' interest is the measure on whether someone is a good candidate or not?

I guarantee you that there is a great GM out there that nobody wants to talk to right now.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    I could counter the above by saying that the Jets lack of success under Tannenbaum specifically is why Cohen hasn't received more interviews. Of course the candidates from Atlanta, SF, Indianapolis, etc are getting interview-- those teams made the playoffs. Cohen may be extremely qualified...yet simply stuck under the follies of Tannenbaum and the Jets 6-10 finish to the season...

Again, I'm not necessarily advocating FOR Cohen...I just think it's silly to hate on him before he's done anything.
    I'm not buying this. A GM has to rely on his scouting department. Its foolish to think that the scouts said one thing and Tannenbaum decided to go in a completely different direction. Sure they may have not agreed 100% of the time but overall they were in it together.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    No, I don't.

Who are they and what are their names?
    some guys who have helped develop talent, add new talent and fix rosters over the past few years.

Dennis Hickey, college scouting/pro personnel Buccaneers. Helpled turn that old, bloated roster to a team with a ton of young talent.

George Paton, asst GM Vikings. Almost landed STL GM job last season.

Nick Caserio, dir. of player personnel Patriots. Young, bright, but might be tough to pry from NE.

Jon Robinson, dir. college scouting Patriots. Guy has helped find some good players.

Scot McCloughlan, Sr. personnel exec. Seahawks. Spent time as 49ers GM, known as a guy with an eye for talent.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    I just feel like this organization is so concerned with the wrong public perception and continue to do things backwards. This is exactly the type of thing the NYJ's would do under Woody.

Desire to hire from within, understanding there would be serious fan backlash, so make a big stink about hiring a search firm, bring in the three hottest names and then hire the guy you want.

(We all wondered why Woody so strongly mentioned the search firm - now we know why)
    If you look at it that way I would agree but I'm going to give Woody the benefit of doubt. I don't think he would ask Polian for advice and get a firm for PR.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because we need a complete change of direction. The odds of getting that from someone who was part of the problem in the first place are not good.

The main problem is Rex has too much power, and if you don't believe that you should re-watch the presser. Cohen will not change that.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Because we need a complete change of direction. The odds of getting that from someone who was part of the problem in the first place are not good.

The main problem is Rex has too much power, and if you don't believe that you should re-watch the presser. Cohen will not change that.
    SOJFs are a pathetic bunch.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Not only should Tanny have been shown the door, but all of his advisers should be gone as well - Cohen, Bradway , etc. You know why Ryan is so buddy-buddy with his players? Because Woody is so buddy-buddy with his employees. Had the Jets gone 8-8 or 9-7 Tannenbaum would still be here. Woody needs to man up and stop being everyone's friend. Then everyone else will fall in line. The problem starts at the top.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    We havn't hied a GM or OC yet. How the hell do you know they won't be competent.Your not the only one who post those remarks, but there ridiculous on the face of it
    On the surface you might be right. But tell me this, we hire Jed Hughes and seek the counsel of Bill Polian. The top four names given to us by one or both are not getting the Job. So what makes you think we are going to get a great candidate to be the architect of the Jets going forward? Does Cohen have a notebook full of ideas that he has kept secret over the last four years because Tanny and Rex wouldn't let him sit at the grown up table?

Oh and as far as the OC is concerned, the SD Tribune wrote a piece over a week ago that Norv has ZERO interest in the Jets. So now go on and tell me how awesome Cam Cameron is again. And how he was fired from a team with a better offense at EVERY SINGLE POSITION.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can't promote within and expect different results. He learned from Tanny.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JETFAN1 View Post
    If you look at it that way I would agree but I'm going to give Woody the benefit of doubt. I don't think he would ask Polian for advice and get a firm for PR.

I realize I'm being incredibly cynical here but I just can't believe they are this incompetent.

If he really wasn't their first choice and is their last choice it's even worse than my cynical perspective.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Other teams' interest is the measure on whether someone is a good candidate or not?

I guarantee you that there is a great GM out there that nobody wants to talk to right now.
    no, but it offers context clues.

I am sure there are candidates that may be out there who could do a good job yet no one is talking to. An example from a different sport and job would be when the Yankees hired Joe Torre.

The problem is that he has been part of this dumpster fire and helped make the decisions they helped start the fire. I don't believe for a minute that this man had zero input on what went on here.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are definitely good GM candidates out there flying under the radar. The reason they aren't "hot" names is because nobody is talking them up. Polian recommends Gamble and Gamble becomes a hot commodity. If you have a great talent evaluator on your team are you going to run to the papers and ESPN to announce it? no, you want to keep him. make other teams do their due diligence and come to you.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    SOJFs are a pathetic bunch.
    Not as pathetic as accepting futility.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    Only the Browns have expressed interest.

I repeat for clarification.... THE BROWNS.

And even they haven't scheduled an interview.

If Cohen had any talent (perceived or otherwise) he'd at least be getting an interview here and there. but so far....

With the Jet's luck, Cohen leaves and becomes the nest Ron Wolfe.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

This. If Cohen is given the job, it pretty much says that the inmate (Rex) is running the asylum.