Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: NYJ assistant GM Scott Cohen gaining support

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Why would these guys want to put the Jets on their resume. They will be working with one hand tied behind their back b.c of Rex. And if things don't work and they get fired, they might never get another shot. It is better for most of these candidates to wait for a better opportunity.
    this is basically what I said in the press conference thread. Why put your professional reputation on the line by signing on with a dysfunctional organization like the Jets? Wait for something better.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    What does it matter? There's going to be the same backlash if you hire the guy immediately as if you hire the guy late.

That PR move makes no sense because the guy is still getting hired. You see the reaction around here? It wouldn't have changed if Woody hired right off the bat.
    Of course it matters. You could at least make the claim, "We did a thorough search and found that this was the best guy for our franchise" blah, blah, blah..

if you don't do that you'll get the inevitable..

"The Jets didn't even test the market to see what was out there" non-sense..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    not sure what I will do if Cohen is the guy

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    What does it matter? There's going to be the same backlash if you hire the guy immediately as if you hire the guy late.

That PR move makes no sense because the guy is still getting hired. You see the reaction around here? It wouldn't have changed if Woody hired right off the bat.
    It would in the sense that it gives off the idea that you took your time and really put in an honest search instead of just handing the job to Cohen on a whim.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanchez 3:16 View Post
    can we stop overreacting to tweets like they are set in stone permanent-decisions?

A few days ago Gamble was our GM according to twitter. Now? not so much.

All this means is Cohen was probably seen walking out of an office after being interviewed. Nothing more.

Continue on with your, bahhhh OMG only the JETZ.
    Yes, but was he seen , or ?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    It would in the sense that it gives off the idea that you took your time and really put in an honest search instead of just handing the job to Cohen on a whim.
    Not if nobody buys it. People on here aren't buying it and I don't think that the media will buy it.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Word is Woody wanted Tebow to sell PSLs. Tanny wanted Sparano.

How was Rex running the show when he had was forced to work with these guys. It is not knowable at this point what's really going on until someone writes a book about it after they retire.
    It's why the Jets are such a dysfunctional franchise. The HC picks the personnel, the GM picks the HC's assistants and the owner steps in when he wants a player to sell PSLs.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nyahay bus View Post
    this is basically what I said in the press conference thread. Why put your professional reputation on the line by signing on with a dysfunctional organization like the Jets? Wait for something better.
    True, but some of these guys are interviewing for the Jags and Chargers as well. Not exactly franchises to be proud of.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    And I was just saying to myself the other day that this process was going so orderly. They targeted their guy, he canceled with other teams he seemed to be a lock. And now....not quite as straightforward.

Ah well, that's the way things go with this franchise. I'm not too worked up about this one way or another. The appearance of hiring an internal guy doesn't look great from a PR perspective, but I have honestly no idea whether Gamble, Caldwell, Ross or Cohen is the right choice.

I do know that even if their first choice (whether its Gamble or Caldwell) doesn't work out, there are enough highly respected candidates that could be looked at that if they do end up with Cohen, its on account of something legitimate.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    True, but some of these guys are interviewing for the Jags and Chargers as well. Not exactly franchises to be proud of.
    True.

But with those teams they will sink or swim based on their own decisions. With the Jets they will be married to Rex.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    While I wouldn't put it past this organization to make this move, we've seen this movie before. I remember quite well in 2009 after Mangini was fired, that a report came out that the Jets were strongly considering giving the job to Brian Schottenheimer after he supposedly blew them away in his interview.

Rex was hired a few days later.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    True.

But with those teams they will sink or swim based on their own decisions. With the Jets they will be married to Rex.
    Good point.

**** my life.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    True.

Depends on the GM's contract.

If the Jets completely fall apart and win only 3 or 4 games, Woody is going to have to fire Rex.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cant wait till we draft a kicker in the second round again

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tfine350z View Post
    Cant wait till we draft a kicker in the second round again
    J-A-G-S! JAGS, JAGS, JAGS!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    If after all this we just end up hiring in-house... well, I wouldn't even know what to say. I was alright with keeping Rex for next year if we had a firm, competent GM in place to call the shots. But if Rex runs the whole show, then Woody is a bigger fool than I thought.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    And of course there is this small possibility:

What if Scott Cohen doesn't want to be there either?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats Funny

Funny thing is that after last year's draft I got killed here for saying that Rex is running the franchise. Today was proof. He has been running it since the day he was hired.
    The decisions that hamstrung this franchise were clearly not Rex's doing. It was not his decision to hire Sparano. It was not his decision to extend Sanchez's contract. It was not his decision to draft a project wide receiver. It was not his decision to let Edwards sign somewhere else. It was not his decision to give all that guaranteed money to holmes

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kimberley A. Martin ‏@KMart_LI
    Rex on his role in GM search: "My involvement will be late in the process....it's not there yet." #nyj #jets

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kimberley A. Martin ‏@KMart_LI
    Rex on his role in GM search: "My involvement will be late in the process....it's not there yet." #nyj #jets
    Could that be interpreted as, "I have the final say"?